The Day You Fell Apart

Chapter 3

“Let’s go talk to some people,” Dee said.

We’ve been at the senior ditch day party for about a half an hour now, and as much as I’d like to say that I was walking around, talking to people, and enjoying it, I wasn’t.

I gave Dee a questioning look and scrunched up my face a little.

“Come on, please?!” She begged. I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair.

“Fine,” I replied. Dee smiled and grabbed my hand to lead me to wherever her little heart desired. But once I realized where exactly she was taking me, I began to get really nervous. I kept my face downward and continued to pray to myself that Dee wasn’t leading me to where I thought she was.

“Jill,” I heard a girl say. I looked up to be face to faced with one girl that I had personally vowed on never, ever seeing again.

“Hi, Katie,” I replied. Katie gave me a warm smile before grabbing me and pulling me into the most uncomfortable hug I’ve ever been in. I tapped her back with my hands awkwardly until she finally pulled away.

“I’ve missed you,” She stated quietly. I looked over at Dee who gave me a sharp look as if saying 'be nice!'. I took a deep breath and looked back up at Katie.

“I…um, I missed you too.”
________________________________________________________________________

”Jill, I want to introduce you to a new girl in school. I’ve kind of been assigned to show her around, and well, yeah,” Dee stated while grabbing my hand and leading me to a tall girl with black hair and straight across the forehead bangs. “Katie, this is Jillianne, Jillianne, this is Katie.”

I extended my hand and Katie immediately shook it while smiling.

“Hi,” She stated.

“Hi,” I replied. “Welcome to Glenridge High School. The place full of exciting and ravishing fun!” I added sarcastically while Katie laughed.

“Does this school really suck that bad?” She asked.

“Oh yeah,” Dee replied while picking at her fingernails. The bell rang and Dee immediately looked up at the both of us.

“Jill, will you show Katie to her next class?” She asked. “It’s like right by yours.”

“Sure,” I replied.

Dee smiled, waved and walked away and I was soon facing Katie who was smiling back at me. She had a small patch of freckles along her nose and she had that kind of 'innocent' look about her. Like she's been protected her whole life from the real world.

“You’re dating Evan Calum, right?” Katie asked while I led her to her next class.

I smiled and nodded while looking back at her. “Yeah, I am,” I replied. “Why?”

“Oh no reason,” Katie stated. “He's in my first period class. He’s pretty cute.”

________________________________________________________________________

After having that uncomfortable reunion with Katie, I decided to just walk off on my own. Dee was still talking to her and I’d just rather not be associated with that girl ever again.

I sighed while throwing a rock into a small stream that was flowing through the woods. I just stood there quietly while biting my lip. Seeing Katie just brought back all of these old memories that I didn’t want to be brought back up. After what happened, she had moved schools. So why was she here? At my school’s senior ditch day party?

And for her to act like nothing happened. For her to have the audacity to think that we could be all buddy buddy just made me utterly sick to my stomach.

I sighed even louder this time and then suddenly heard a few sticks crack behind me. I turned around and tried to catch my breath once I saw the boy I was looking at earlier approaching me.

“I could hear you sighing from twenty feet away,” He stated and stuffed his hands in his pockets. I looked down at my feet and let out an uncomfortable laugh. “Something on your mind?” He asked.

“Not something that I’d like to share with a complete stranger,” I replied and threw another rock in the stream.

“I’m Jonah,” The boy remarked and reached his hand out towards me. I rolled my eyes and shook his hand while he just smirked, picked up a rock and threw it in the stream himself. “See, now we’re not strangers. What’s your name?”

“I’m-“

“Jillianne! Where are you?” I heard Dee exclaim. I frowned and let out a small groan.

“You don’t want to see your friend?” Jonah asked.

“Well no, I just don’t want to see the people she’s going to introduce me to,” I replied.

“Jill!”

“I’m over here!” I yelled back and suddenly Dee came into view. She was about to say something but immediately stopped and widened her eyes once she saw Jonah.

“Oh,” She said and looked at the both of us. She raised her eyebrows at me and I immediately shook my head at her. This was probably quite a sight for Dee. Seeing me actually talk to a member of the opposite sex. I could easily tell that in Dee’s mind, Jonah and I were going to get married, have kids and live happily ever after, just by having one barely normal conversation with one another. Dee had a wild imagination and was somewhat of a hopeless romantic. “I’ll just be over there,” Dee stated and began to walk back to the groups of people.

I turned and looked back at Jonah who had his hands stuffed in his pockets once again, a small smile was tugging at his lips.

“Um, how come I’ve never seen you around before? Are you new to my school or something?” I asked, trying to be somewhat calm about talking to someone that I was just fantasizing about talking to just a mere half an hour earlier.

“No, I don't go to your school,” He replied.

“Then why are you here?” I asked and looked towards him. He leaned down and picked up a loose rock on the ground and threw it up in the air slightly and then caught it with the same hand.

“You really suck at throwing rocks,” Jonah stated while running his fingers through his long hair with his other hand.

“You suck at trying to change subjects discreetly,” I replied and Jonah smirked. He then took the rock and flicked it forward with his hands. It hit the small stream and skipped a few times.

“But I don’t suck at throwing rocks, now do I?” He asked. I just sighed annoyingly which made him raise his eyebrows in amusement. “I’ll see you later, Jill.” He stated and began to walk away.

I saw him walk back towards the people and I had the urge to call back after him.

“Hey!” I yelled. Jonah turned around and raised an eyebrow at me.

“Yes?” He asked.

“You never answered my question,” I replied. Jonah flashed a smile and shook his
head.

“I guess we’ll save that for the next time we talk,” He replied and before I could say anything else, he was out of view.

What does he mean ‘the next time we talk’? This is the first time I’ve ever seen him in my life, how would he suspect we’d talk again? He doesn’t even go to my school!

I sighed again and threw one more rock in the stream before finding my way back to Dee. Jonah was nowhere in sight when I came back, and for some reason, I was slightly disappointed, yet slightly relieved. I couldn’t really put my finger on why this boy was so fascinating. Maybe it’s because of the fact that there was something about him that was familiar to me. My mind tells me that I’ve never seen him before, but something else in my body is telling me that my mind is wrong. That there’s more to him than meets the eye.

Or maybe I’m just being a weird over-analytical girl. But I can’t help it. It’s just who I am.

Once I was in Dee’s car and we were driving back, she turned to me at a red light and smiled.

“It was one conversation, Dee,” I stated.

“Well that’s one more than you’ve had in the past year,” She replied. “Who is he anyways? He looks kind of familiar.” She stated.

“I have no idea who he is,” I replied. But part of me wanted to find out.