Come Back to Me - It's Almost Easy

Chapter 8

“Oh hell no Matt, there is no way ever that I am singing this song with you! Forget it! Nu-uh, it ain’t happening, I am by far not drunk enough to pull this, way too embarrassing! You know, I live in this city, you can just go back to wherever you came from, people here will taunt me forever!”

Dave and the others around the table were almost pissing themselves, as they watched Matt’s attempt to convince Lea to sing Marylin Manson’s version of “Tainted Love” with him. He wasn’t doing too bad trying to get her to sing with him, but Dave had perfected his tactics of getting her horrendously drunk and then make her sing over the past years, and he was kind of proud that Lea didn’t give in that easily to Matt. Then again, that song would have seriously been way too cheesy, even he would have chosen something a little harder.

“Alright alright! You chose something then! I see I am getting nowhere with the past 200 suggestions I made. Please, your voice can’t be that bad!”

Matt tried to compromise with her. He had her sitting on his lap again, his arms tightly wrapped around her waist. Neither Dave, or in fact any of Matt’s friends for that matter, were fooled by his behaviour: this was definitely more than a game they were putting on! Those two had hit it right off; but if they had actually realized that themselves was a completely different and justified question!

“She does actually have a great voice, pretty strong, she just hates standing in the spotlight. Guess that comes with the trade, standing behind the lens most the time.”

Dave threw in, trying to get Matt even more worked up, making her sing.

“Please Lea, just pick something, I promise, I’ll go along with anything you chose. We can, ...just pick something with growls and I’ll be happy.”

Everybody kind of expected her to just flip him off, until a huge smile appeared on her face as she was skipping down the huge list of song choices. She leaned back against his chest holding the list closer to his eyes.

“What about this then? I know…cliché, right? But if you buy me at least another 2 shots, I am definitely willing to make people laugh!”

Brian, Jimmy, Johnny, Zacky, Dave, Sandra, Mark and Rick were all starring at Matt and Lea. This was the first time ever, that Lea willingly proposed a song, almost looking excited, waiting for him to accept the challenge. Matt narrowed his eyes, looking at the spot she was pointing at. He rolled his eyes immediately, but before he said something, he quickly bit his lip.

“Sure, sounds great. Not sure if I am able to mimic his shitty vocals, but hey: I am open for everything! Anything to please my new found friend! Jimmy, can you get me 2 shots for this young lady here, otherwise we’ll never hear this fabulous voice Dave just mentioned!”

Jimmy gave a short laugh from him and jumped up, making his way to the bar.

“Yeah well, I have no idea what kind of vocals you usually do, I don’t think I ever heard your music. If I did, I may or may not have liked it. I am desperate when it comes to remembering names of bands, I am much better with faces. So stop the bitching, take it as a challenge!”

She immediately relaxed in his arms, when she leaned back against him again: she knew “Bring me to life” from Evanesence inside out, she had sung it in her shower almost everyday, ever since this damn song had been released, it was way to catchy. Being in his arms made her feel so comfortable, she couldn’t describe it. Matt was a fun guy to be around and they had hit it off straight away after the first minute of talking to each other. Him being completely straight forwards with things, saying whatever came to mind was great., he didn’t mind if something sounded stupid and people laughed at him. It was as if they knew each other for years.

“Off you go Lea, write that damn song on the paper and hand it over to the DJ, you know, people on the bottom are always a little more lazy.”

He said, trying to be cheeky. The whole group chuckled and she turned around, looking into his sparkling eyes. She got up and carefully tried making her way through the crowd towards the little stage at the back of the bar, on a quest to fill in one of the little white papers with her song of choice.

"Respect Matt! It usually takes me way more rounds of shots to get her singing. So, what do you think of her? Disappointed at all?”

Matt skulled the rest of his beer and stared back at Dave.

“Are you crazy? She’s so funny, same sense of humour than me…I’m telling you: one mind in two bodies! I can’t wait to work with her this weekend. What about her ex, you think he’s gonna freak out with her and me being all cozy?”

“Well, let’s just say, he used to boil over if she just talked to a guy for more then one minute. Seen that he still hopes to get her back, he must be raging by now. I believe he’s pretty much on his toes.”

Just when Dave had finished the sentence, he could see a big smile form on Matt’s face, showing off his deep dimples. He followed his eyes: Lea was proudly presenting a little white piece of paper, showing it around over her head like a Round Girl at a boxing match in their direction.

“Bro, tis has gone way past being an act for you, hasn’t it?”

Matt either didn’t hear him, or his hearing was very selective. His silence was answer enough in Dave’s books.