Autumn Moon

Chapter Four

Harvey slid across the forest floor making dirt float into the air. My mouth dropped in horror as Jackson growled at Harvey’s fallen figure. Jackson’s wolf stood in front of me, his black fur standing on end, tail straight in the air, his head low as he growled.

“Leave him alone!” I yelled at Jackson and he snapped his head in my direction. Narrowing his eyes at me I watched as he bared his teeth. “He hasn’t done anything.” Jackson snarled at me making me recoil and lower my head. I can feel the fear rising out of me making me shake. Jackson ceased growling as I eyed the ground, “he hasn’t hurt anyone. He’s also not full grown,” I looked up at Jackson making us lock eyes. “If you fight you’ll kill him.”

Jackson did a wolfish huff and looked away from me.

Jerk.

Getting up I started walking towards Harvey when I felt a tug on the back of my shirt. Half turning I noticed Jackson’s head was lowered, his jaws clamped on the back of my sweatshirt. “Let me go.”

Jackson let out a low growl and I scowled at him. Looking at him I could clearly tell he was saying, ‘keep away from him,’ with his eyes. I tugged on my sweatshirt to get free, but he growled and pulled on me bring me back. My back touched his nose; my hand swung back and touched the top of his head in attempt to keep me upright. My fingers gripped onto the fur on top of his head and I accidently pulled on him. Jackson growled at me, but it didn’t seem threatening and still it made me jump. Moving my hand to his snout I tried pushing him off me.

"Get off me," I snapped and looked at Harvey. He remained on the ground unmoving making me worry even more. Jackson still not releasing me I did the unthinkable and punched his snout. Besides the genitals the snout is a very sensitive place to get hit. I thought for sure Jackson was going to release me, but instead he whimpered loudly at pulled me back making me fall to the ground.

Without leaving an opening Jackson came over me, front paws falling on my shoulders, and pinned me to the dirt. His wolf face got closer to mine as he growled showing all of his teeth. I gulped and listened to the other pack members bark and growl at Jackson. No doubt they were probably yelling at him to get off me. Silently I hoped someone would tackle him off me, but no middle rank would dare do that to the Alphas son.

I can feel myself begin to perspire as Jackson got closer, his bad wolf breath flooding my nose. Feeling terrified my hands unconsciously crawled at the dirt as I felt my legs buckle. After all the years of fighting between the two of us I have never felt this scared. My body is literally trembling under him and the atmosphere reeks of bloodlust. What's worse no one here is able to do anything.

"Jackson," I whimpered his name. "S-stop," I felt tears well up in the corner if my eyes. Pack members barked louder as I stared at my captor. Something went through his blue eyes and then he snarled at me causing me to cringe.

Suddenly a loud snarl came from beside us and Jackson was tackled of off me. Staring at the sky I let out a breath when a shaggy brown wolf came into my line of vision. Gama Bentley looked down at me with a worried expression and then looked away from me. Sitting up I turned and saw what he was looking at. A dark sandy wolf was snarling at Jackson standing tall and strong. Jackson on the other hand was lowered closer to the ground, but nonetheless he kept snarling.

"Beta Jarvis," I murmured looking at the two. My eyes traveled away from the two and landed on Harvey, "Gama we need to get him to safety." I pointed to Harvey's body. Gama Bentley nodded and the two of us went to Harvey while Beta kept Jackson busy. Quickly I managed to drape Harvey over Gama's back, "I need to talk to Alpha.” Gama nodded and just before I climbed onto his back something got ahold of the end of my jeans. With a jerk I fell forward, my face planting itself in the dirt before I was dragged back. My sweatshirt ridded up letting branches scratch my bare skin while I was viciously dragged across the dirt.

Looking forward I watch Gama Bentley stare was me in horror as I was dragged away from him. Once again the pack members started barking and growling. A couple were even pacing while snarling. Turning to my side I felt my eyes widened as I noticed Jackson’s jaws clamped on my jeans as he dragged me. I feel like a fallen buck about to be fed on. My eyes traveled up his face and that’s when I felt the panic sink in. Every fiber in my body started screaming at me to get away.

Jackson’s wolf was in control.

His angry wolf is in control.

Turning back to face my pack I started clawing at the dirt in a desperate attempt to save myself. Looking for help my eyes landed on Beta Jarvis as he slowly followed Jackson and I. Beta’s eyes darted from Jackson to me as if he were calculating what to do in his head. No doubt if he tried to attack Jackson, while Jackson has me in his jaws, would I be dragged in a dangerous fight between two wolves. I looked at my pack practically pleading with my eyes when I was then dragged down a hill losing sight of them. More twigs and branches cut into me and immediately I covered my face so I wouldn’t get poked in the eyes.

With how fast he was dragging me it didn’t take long to reach the bottom.

We stopped and I felt him release me making my leg hit the ground with a thud. I hissed and then I felt my breath hitch in my throat when he walked over me. His size completely over shadowed me as he watched me. Well, his wolf watched me. I couldn’t find a trace of Jackson’s human self in his eyes. Growling came from the top of the hill making goosebumps appear over me skin. Oh Goddess! I’m gonna die and if I don’t I really need to have a talk with Alpha so I can go off to school. If I stay here any longer Jackson is definitely going to kill me.

Jackson’s jaws got closer to me when there was a bark that sent shivers through me and made Jackson freeze. The wind picked up and a new scent filled my nose. Lilacs and vanilla.

Luna Lisa.

Another breeze and I smelt her get closer to Jackson and me. Luna Lisa growled and I felt Jackson hesitate to move off me. He shifted in his stance and got lower to show submission to Luna, but at the same time he let out a very low growl. Clearly hearing her son’s growl Luna growled right above me and stomped her right paw that was inches from my face. Jackson whined and shuffled off of me letting my eyes fall on Luna’s light brown wolf. Her gold eyes narrowed at Jackson until he was a good distances away allowing me to get to my feet.

Once standing up I noticed Beta Jarvis pacing between Jackson and Luna. Probably making sure Jackson didn’t pull another fast one on him. Opening my mouth to talk to Luna she looked at me and shook her head. I frowned and she looked away making me turn as well to see Gama Bentley walking up to me, Harvey still lying on his back. Gama came up to me and then laid on the ground allowing me to get on his back. A snarl came from Jackson’s direction to which Luna barked back in response shutting him up. Stepping to Gama Bentley I gave one last glance to Luna Lisa before getting on his back.

ᶲ ᶲ


Harvey sat across from Jackson and I with a bandage taped to his right cheek. He was wearing some of Jackson’s old clothes as he glared at Jackson. Bentley then took Harvey and I to Alphas’ house and just a short while ago Jackson came with Alpha, Luna, Beta, and Granny.

At the moment Alpha is leaning against the wall, beta is stationed by the entrance to the living room, and Granny and Luna are sitting in two different love seats. Beta Jarvis stood on Bentleys other side making it impossible to escape the room.

“Explain to me why you felt the need to attack this young boy?” Granny asked Jackson in a stern voice, “While he wasn’t in wolf form.”

I looked at Jackson and I could see his jaw tense, “he’s a rouge. That’s reason enough.”

My eyes shot to Harvey to see him frown at Jackson's hostility.

"And what about Scarlet? She isn't a rouge." Luna Lisa snapped, her voice dripping with so much power I flinched.

Jackson shifted next to me, “He’s a rouge and she’s… wolf-less.” He practically whispered the last part but I heard it clear as day. “I don’t like her, but my wolf sees her like any other member of the pack. Well… he sees her like she’s a pup. A defenseless pup,” I looked at him and scowled at his reasoning, I’m no pup. I clenched my fists and Jackson noticed me. He looked away to Luna, “that and she wasn’t listening to me.”

“I don’t need to listen to you,” I mumbled looking at him with disdain. Jackson turned to me like he was going to say something when a growl came from across the room.

“And for that you drag her across the dirt like prey?” Luna practically screamed.

"How do you know about Scarlet's condition?" Granny suddenly asked and Luna went silent. Jackson went rigid beside me at Granny's voice, "Jackson Zander Chance," she said his full name.

"I overheard a conversation between you and dad this past week."

"And despite knowing that you basically attacked her?!" Luna yelled getting to her feet. "This is completely unacceptable. You, a son of alpha, acting unreasonably and attacking defenseless weres is not only wrong, but embarrassing." She growled.

"Lisa," Alpha Ronald's voice gained everyone's attention. "You're forgetting we have a special guest," Luna looked down at Harvey. Harvey stared at me and then glanced at Jackson with a raised brow.

Lifting his fingers Harvey pointed to me and then Jackson before putting his two index fingers together. Quickly I shook my head at him, "No, no, no," I waved my hands. "We aren't like that." Harvey's head nodded slowly like he was trying to believe what I just said.

For some odd reason he thought the two of us, that Jackson and I, are a couple. If anything were a couple of enemies. We can't stand being around each other and sometimes when arguing we act out- violently. A theory that was well shown today –in front of some pack members- thanks to Jackson's lack of control.

“Scarlet I think it time you head home,” Alpha Ronald said looking at me. “Darien is here to take you back to mom’s. The pups are there as well to continue their lessons.”

“Darien?” Jackson and I said at the same time, though his voice sounded a little irritated.

Alpha glanced at Beta like he was sharing an inside joke. If it’s anything like the conversation Alpha had with me last night then I know what they’re thinking. I could feel my face slowly heat up from embarrassment. My Alpha is talking about my love life with his beta, father of the guy that I like. I can imagine it now, Alpha and Beta doing patrols when Alpha randomly says, ‘oh yes, I think Scarlet may have a little crush on your son. We should check the northeast border next.’ You’d think Luna and Granny would be the nosy type, but no. Alpha acts way to fatherly with me to the point where he has a say in the people I like.

“I don’t see why Darien has to take her home,” Jackson said gaining everyone’s attention. “She can just walk home.”

I looked at Alpha knowing full well what Jackson said is true. There is no need for Darien to take me home when I can walk. “You will not question my decision,” Alpha snapped at Jackson in an angry tone. Glaring down at Jackson for a few breaths Alpha Ronald turned to me letting his gaze soften, “go ahead Scarlet. We’ll see you for dinner.” I nodded and got off the couch. Walking out of the room I passed by Beta and Gama and I swear I saw the corner of Beta’s mouth twitch. He wants to smile, I know it.

Walking through the house I left through the back door finding a giant wolf lying on the ground. Darien's head popped up when I walked out and then he went from lying on the grass to standing on full alert. When I finally made it on to the grass he was immediately beside me, or well, circling me. He nudged my side where my sweatshirt was torn and let out a low growl. Well this is odd Darien behavior. Usually he's lean back kind of guy, but right now he's a little... I don't know... protective.

He moved his big head from my side and looked straight down at me. With Darien being nineteen years old he's practically a full grown wolf. Just with him standing he completely over shadows me. Staring at him I watched his eyes dart all over my face looking at the dirt and little scratches I got from being dragged. I could tell he wasn't happy by the look on his eyes and for some reason I touched his muzzle.

His eyes widened in shock and immediately I pulled back. Yes - this is officially awkward. Keeping my hands to myself I fidgeted in my spot. "Um, we should get going. The pups are waiting for me at Granny's." Darien nodded his big head before lying down on the ground. Hesitantly I got on his back and tried so hard to control my heart beat. Being this close to him and with him in wolf form there is no doubt in my mind he’d hear it. Without a word from me he stood up making me grip onto his fur before he took off.

We didn’t talk the whole run to my house, not that we can anyway. Well I can talk to him, but with him in wolf form I won’t be getting any answers. All the way to the house I listened to his paws pad against the dirt, the crunch on the fallen leaves, and his steady breathing. With his fast pace we made it to the house in fifteen minutes to find a bunch of pups running around Granny’s backyard. Darien walked into the backyard and suddenly all eyes were on us.

“Scarlet!” someone yelled and then it was attack of the pups. Granted it’s only seven of them, but when a child is over excited they are hard to control. So when all seven of them ran and jumped up on Darien I panicked. Children grabbed onto his fur and started climbing up towards me. With all the pups climbing on him Darien laid on the grass making them, ‘boo’ him. Getting off of Darien’s back I steered the crowd of pups away from him.

“Is it true? Is it true?” Trisha tugged on my hand.

“What are you talking about?”

“Did you really see the earth spirit?” she asked with excitement in her voice.

“Was it scary?” Jayden asked pulling my other hand.

“Seeing the earth spirit isn’t a good thing!” I snapped my head to the side to see Tony looking at the pups on my hands’. “It’s not a good thing, stop acting happy.” He glared at the two pups and they whined.

“We are only asking,” Trisha said.

“But I don’t like it,” May yelled and that’s when I finally noticed her standing behind Tony. “It was scary because it was big and no one was there.” Well in all honesty Harvey isn’t that big, but since May is still young he might look big to her.

Jayden let go of my hand and walked in front of Tony, “it only looked scary cause you are a big cry baby.” He pointed at May making her shrink behind Tony.

I was about to say something when Tony shocked me. With a grim expression he put both his hands up and pushed Jayden so hard he crashed into the ground.

“Tony!” I yelled at him and he looked at me.

“Can we start practice now?” he asked sounding calm. His rapid change in demeanor threw me off.

“He pushed me!” Jayden yelled.

Still in shocked over Tony’s action I blinked a couple of times to focus. “Jayden say sorry to May. Tony you are not to push anymore.” Tony nodded as Jayden got to his feet, “Say sorry Jayden.”

Jayden scowled at me and then looked at May, “sorry.” He grumbled.

Nodding I clapped my hands, “okay. Everyone line up like you’re supposed to,” I waved as they dispersed. “Tony, Gabe, Jayden, and Ricky to the back. May and Harper in the middle, and Trisha at the front,” I instructed them and soon they lined up. “Boys spread out,” they did as I walked in between the rows. “May you need to remember to stand in between Tony and Gabe,” I moved her to the spot I needed her and then moved to Harper. “Harper you need to be between Jayden and Ricky,” I moved her a step over and then walked to the front of the group. “You’re good Trisha,” she smiled giving me a thumbs up. “Okay, everyone clap,” they clapped and kept their hands together. Counting to three in my head I moved my right hand up slowly in a straight line. They copied me, “All the way up and now half circle.” We all slowly stretched our hand out in a half circle, “remember half way girls you need to sweep your left leg out.”

I bent my right leg and threw my leg out in a sweeping motion, “slowly bend, slowly bend all the way till your arm is out straight.” All the girls copied my pose and I stared at them making sure everyone was steady. “Stay like that girls,” I looked at the boys, “Alright boys your turn.”

Gabe smiled, “you don’t need to tell us. We know what to do.”

I raised an eyebrow at him, “you do?”

“Yup,” he nodded. “Ricky’s mom had been making us practice.”

“Oh really?” I looked at Harper since she is Ricky’s sister. “Has she been making the girls practice too?” Harper nodded, “okay then. Girls get up and stand straight,” they did and looked at me all confused. Pulling out my iPod I scrolled to the music the pups will be dancing to. Pressing play I put the music loud enough for them to hear. “Okay, dance and show me how much you know.” They all nodded and reset themselves. Counting the beats of the slow drum Darien came beside me and sat down still in wolf form watching the pups. Returning my attention to the little ones I watched as they clapped on cue.

ᶲ ᶲ


I laid on my bed thinking about the festival tomorrow night. The pups seem to know their dance, but it might be different when they are up on stage for everyone to see. I don’t want anyone to mess up and get embarrassed. Gah, positive thoughts, positive thoughts.

My bedroom door creaked open and Harvey popped his head in. Scanning my room his eyes landed on me and he smiled. Whatever Alpha talked about after I left his house this afternoon had something to do with Harvey's housing. From what Granny has told me he is going to be staying with us for a short while. One or two days, but I got a feeling not everyone is too happy with it. At dinner Jackson was unusually quiet and he kept glancing at me as well as shooting daggers at Harvey. I have a strange feeling he knows something. To be honest I think the whole table knew something. Alpha Ronald was a little quiet and Luna was constantly asking me questions. If I was still hungry, thirsty, and if I wanted dessert.

Though the biggest red flag came after dinner.

Alpha Ronald asked about college.

In truth I wanted to ask about why everyone’s acting so strangely, but my focus needs to be on the pups.

A snapping sound brought me out of my thoughts and I noticed Harvey in front of me snapping his fingers. I looked at him and he gave me a quizzical expression.

“I’m good now,” I said and he nodded. Adjusting himself on my bed he looked down at his lap where he had a pen and notebook. He wrote quickly and held up the paper.

You seem out of it. Care to share?

“It’s nothing really. Just nervous about tomorrow’s performance,” I said nonchalantly.

I bet they’ll do great.

“I hope so.”

Just believe.

I let out a small laugh, “I’m trying.” He smiled, “So why are you here? Need something?”

He stared at me before writing again. I want to talk about your wolf.

I frowned at him, “I don’t have a wolf.”

And what if I said you do?

“I’d say you’re crazy.”

He frowned. And why is that?

“Because I have a void in me,” I pointed to the middle of my chest. “The pack doctors said they couldn’t find my wolf.”

His frown deepened, Oh… well… In that case… goodnight. He got off of my bed and then quickly turned to me. Oh and thanks for helping me with that douche wolf.

I assume he’s referring to Jackson seeing as he’s been acting like a douche. “No problem,” Harvey smiled and then quickly left the room.

Sighing I got up from my bed and went to shut off the light. Flicking the light off I walked back to my bed when I stopped by my window. For some odd reason I have the strangest sensation of feeling like I’m being watched. Looking from the yard to the trees leading into the woods I watched the trees closely. Nothing looked out of place so I shrugged and dove into bed.

ᶲ ᶲ


I stirred in bed and jolted awake. A heavy pressure sat on my chest and a hand covered my mouth. I muffed and started panicking in my bed. My hands shot out under the covers and started to claw at the hand on my mouth.

“Shh,” a male voice whispered. “Don’t make this harder than it is.” My eyes widened at the unrecognizable voice. The bed creaked and soon enough I felt skin against my forehead and I was eye to eye with a hazel eyed person. “Just let me in,” he whispered in a demanding tone. My head started throbbing in a painful way, “Just let me in.”

The throbbing got worse and I shut my eyes at the pain. I tried smelling for a scent but all I could smell was Vicks. Whoever this is knows how to outsmart me. Stop, I said in my head, stop. It hurts.

I’m sorry, his voice drifted into my head, but this is for your own good.
♠ ♠ ♠
Keep reading!