Autumn Moon

Chapter Five

Granny clapped at me when I walked into the kitchen. With a huge smile on her face as she looked at the dress I’m wearing. She had one of the elders make me a special dress for tonight. “It looks great on you!” she gushed. I smiled at her feeling happy. Normally when I go out at night I have to layer up and usually the clothes aren’t that good looking. Though with the dress Granny’s making me wear tonight it’s going to be different, I’m actually going to look cute. The dress is grey and made of wool with pockets and a hoodie. The sleeves go all the way to my palms with a hole for my thumb to stick out and the length of the dress goes all the way down to my knees. With the black tights I’m wearing and my boots I know I’m going to be warm in the woods. Granny stepped towards me with a red scarf in hand, “Now wear this and you’re complete.” She wrapped the scarf around my neck and then gave me a hug.

“Thanks Granny,” I hugged her back.

I looked at the kitchen table and saw Harvey smiling at me, two thumbs up in the air. I listened to the front door open and then the shuffling of feet. “Mom we’re here,” Alpha Ronald called.

Granny released me and we both turned to look at the kitchen entrance. Alpha Ronald, Luna Lisa and Jackson walked into the room. When Luna saw me she clapped her hands together, “Look at you! You look so pretty, Scarlet,” she smiled.

“Thanks.”

“I bet you’ll be turning heads,” she winked and I heard Granny laugh quietly. “What do think boys?” she turned her attention to Alpha Ronald and Jackson.

Alpha Ronald looked at me skeptically, “Do you like you’ll be warm in that? Maybe you should change into something else. Something with layers,” he emphasized layers.

“Ronald,” Granny snapped, “She’s perfectly fine. This material will keep her warm the whole night.”

Alpha Ronald raised up a single eyebrow, “I’m not so sure about this mom.”

“Oh hush,” she waved a hand. “You’re a male, what do you know about clothing.”

“I know a lot, because I’m a male.”

“She’ll be fine,” Granny said. “She’ll be with her friends as well as Harvey. I doubt Billy will let anyone take advantage of her.”

“True,” he said though he didn’t sound convinced. “Naturally I would tell Jackson to watch over her, but with what happened yesterday I highly doubt she’ll be okay with him.”

I looked at Jackson and noticed a small frown on his face. Ever since the incident from yesterday I haven’t heard a peep from him. Despite us not liking each other we still exchange a few words when we see each other. Continuing to look at Jackson he turned to me and immediately the frown was wiped from his face and he gave me a blank stare.

“She’ll be fine with her friends Ron,” Luna said and walked up to me, “Let’s get going.” Taking me by the hand she led me out the back door and everyone followed. Once outside Harvey walked up beside me as we walked into the woods.

ᶲ ᶲ


“So this is the rouge?” Jenny looked at Harvey closely, “He doesn’t look dangerous.” Harvey smirked at her when she turned to me, “He’s the reason Jackson went wild?”

I nodded, “yeah… I think. I was told to leave before I heard the entire reason.”

“Why didn’t you stay?” Billy asked next to me.

“Alpha’s orders,” I said with a shrug before taking a sip of my water. “I’m really curious though.”

Jenny nodded before she froze looking off in the distance. Turning around I noticed a blonde haired, bare chested guy talking to a girl and despite his fit body his expression is a little scary. Correction, it is scary, really scary. He crossed his arms at the girl making Jenny sigh behind me. “Jenny is that your-”

“Mate?” she sounded sad, “yes that’s him. That’s Cameron.”

So that’s him, “He looks mad.”

"He tends to look like that. He has three expressions, mad, bored, and indifferent," I heard her sigh. "Besides that and his name I know virtually nothing about him and with the way he treats me that's all I'm going to know."

"He hasn't treated Jenny like his mate at all," Billy said. "And it's not like he's sleeping around and flirting with other women either. I think he just doesn't care for women. That's not to mean he's gay, but just... I don't know. Indifferent to females."

Taking Billy's words into consideration I studied Cameron. While he talked to the girl he didn't look like he was flirting. To be truthful he looked mad and she looked uneasy.

Turning to Jenny I eyed her, "so I guess that means you aren't going to do the dance." During the festival there is a special dance only mates do.

Jenny frowned and nodded, "I asked him and he outright rejected it."

I opened my mouth to say something when Harvey put a hand on her shoulder and shook his head. We all gave his a quizzical looked when he pointed to Cameron and waved at him dismissively. After waving at Cameron he gestured to Jenny up and down before giving her a thumbs up with an added wink. To be honest Jenny and I aren’t the type of girls that are used to be getting attention, or compliments. So when Harvey winked at her she went apple red within five seconds. Jenny looked flustered and started stuttering while trying to change the subject making Billy and I start laughing.

I don’t think the pot should be laughing at the kettle, a deep voice whispered in my head. You blush when people compliment you as well. The voice chuckled; you look cute when you blush. I blushed when the voice called me cute, I’d bet good money you’re blushing now.

I shook my head, stop talking to me.

The voice laughed loudly, listen cherry pie. I don’t take orders and I’m not about to start with you. I tried to put up my barriers, but I felt them immediately get torn down. Who do you think you are trying to block me out? You're too young to try that on me kiddo.

Why do you keep talking to me? Who are you?

Do you know how tired I am hearing you ask those two questions? I think you must have asked me at least fifty times today. He said with a sigh.

Then just answer it and I'll stop asking. I retorted with the obvious solution. Waiting for a few moments I heard no reply, hello?

Nothing.

Frowning internally I jumped when a hand touched my arm. “Let’s go walk around,” Billy said behind me.

I turned and smiled at him, “Yeah let’s go. I heard Mrs. Raider is giving out candied apples.”

ᶲ ᶲ


After walking around for two hours everyone gathered at the front of the stage for the dance to start. Well everyone but me, I was behind the stage trying to calm the pups’ nerves.

“Scarlet I’m scared.”

“What if I mess up?”

“I don’t want to do this anymore.”

“I think I’m going to be sick.”

All the pups gathered around me looking absolutely terrified. The girls wore white fur dresses with red paint running vertically down both eyes. The boys had their black pants, brown leather like tops, with paint also on their face. They look great; if only they can stop shaking they'd look fantastic. Feeling at a loss for words I tried to figure out something to say.

“Hey pups,” Jackson’s voice said right beside me. “Are you ready to go on stage?” None of the pups responded, but they kept their faces of terror on. “Am I sensing stage freight?”

I looked at Jackson only to be assaulted with his bare chest. Oh right, he’s playing the drums tonight. “They won’t calm down,” I said and Jackson nodded, refusing to look at me. Despite him not looking my way he gave the pups a smile.

“Guess what?” Jackson said and the pups just stared at him.

“What?” Jayden asked.

Jackson crouched down, “Shh it’s a secret,” and just like that all the pups got close to him. Children and secrets, he might as well say he had candy with the way they suddenly got closer to him. “You can’t tell anyone this, promise?” they all nodded their heads. “I’m nervous too,” he whispered.

“But your Alpha’s son,” Tony piped up.

“Yeah you’re going to Alpha!” Trisha said, “You should be never scared.”

Jackson let out a nervous laugh and rubbed the back of his head, “Well there is a first time for everything.” He trailed off and then shook his head, “But remember this is a secret. So don’t tell anyone.”

They all nodded at him making me smile. The air around them relaxed and it was obvious they weren’t tense anymore. Jackson stood up and the pups started talking amongst themselves.

As he watched the pups talk I nudged him with my shoulder. His head snapped in my direction, eyes narrowed, and smile wiped off his face. “What?”

Ignoring his sudden change I kept the smile on my face, “thanks for helping out.” The scowl on his face dropped quickly and his whole stance changed. Patting his fur covered shoulder I mumbled good luck before returning to the pups. “Alright it’s time to go on stage.”

“Where are you going to be?” May asked as I directed them to the stairs.

“I’ll be watching from the crowd so don’t worry,” she let out a breath and followed the others. Slowly they gathered around the stairs where the older male weres were. Darien spotted me and walked to me smiling.

“So are they nervous?” he glanced down at the pups.

“Not anymore,” I looked at him, “Are you ready?” Darien, just like Jackson and Cameron, had on a white fur pelt over his shoulders and a wolf mask resting on his head ready to be worn.

He crossed his arm and my eyes instantly were drawn to his muscles, “As I’ll ever be.”

I dragged my eyes away from his muscles to look him in the eye. "You act as if you haven't done this before."

He shrugged like performing The Earth and The Moon Song wasn't a big deal. Males, always acting calm and collected. “The one you should be worrying about is Jackson. The first time is always the hardest,” Darien had a faraway look in his eyes. “When you play those drums for the first time the magic in them really calls out to your wolf’s soul. All you want to do is beat the drums erratically instead of keeping with the rhythm. If you’re not careful your wolf can break through and go feral all juiced up on magic.”

“It always sounds dangerous.”

“But the effect of the magic is worth it,” he broke out in a grin as he looked down at me. I smiled back at him and watched as his eyes drifted to look past me, “There you are man.” Jackson’s scent drifted past me and I felt his presence right behind me.

Turning around I bumped my nose and instinctively took a step back. My hands shot to cup my nose, “Sorry,” Jackson said making me go stiff. He apologized to me. Jackson said sorry… is it possible to use those words in a sentence?

At a loss for words I nodded and started my walk to the crowd for the viewing of the dance. The wind picked up whipping my hair around. Stopping I tried to get my hair under control when a familiar scent drifted past me. My head snapped to the side, “Alpha.”

Alpha Ronald looked down at me with an unreadable expression, “Scarlet.” He continued to stare down at me making me feel slightly uncomfortable. “Are you having fun tonight dear?”

I nodded, “Yeah and it seems that Harvey is having fun as well.”

Something sparked in his eyes at the mention of Harvey, “Good, good,” he nodded a bit.

“Do you need something from me Alpha?”

“Well I do believe we need to talk about what happened the other night with Jackson.”

Oh right I forgot we needed to talk. Shifting in my place I placing my glove covered hands in my pockets, “I understand.” I glanced at the stage, “but the dance is about to start.”

His gaze narrowed, “Don’t make me reprimand you.” Gulping I nodded and followed him away from the crowd. We far enough away from the crowd that we were still able to see the stage, but still have the privacy so no one could hear our conversation. We sat on a picnic bench and faced the stage. The pups were following the boys on the stage. The little ones looked slightly nervous but kept their heads up while the guys went to their drum spots, masks covering up their faces.

The males held up their hands and hit the drums in one steady beat, “It’s starting.”

“That it is,” Alpha said beside me. The drums were stuck once again causing my skin to crawl. My whole body felt alert as magic seeped into the air. “That night what exactly happened to you?”

“I don’t know,” I looked down at the table. The pain I felt seeing that vision still lingered inside me.

“I sense you’re not telling me something,” I stiffened in my seat, “The thing about the magic in the air is that it intensifies your wolf’s abilities. Right now I can sense how nervous you are and how put on edge you’ve become.”

I let my eyes look up and face the stage, “I felt pain Alpha. I still feel it,” I tap the spot on my chest right above my heart. “When I watched Jackson shift last night something happened to me. I don’t know what it was, but I saw something in my head. There was a child, a small girl bent over in the dirt screaming and crying while a man stood over her. He watched as her bones cracked and body contorted and as crazy as it sounds I know this little girl was going through the shift. I felt the pain deep inside me, a strong pain pushing against my heart. She curled on the ground just like Jackson and before any more pain happened the man straightened her out. Just like how I straightened Jackson out.”

“You had a vision?”

I whimpered feeling like on the verge of death. My body felt broken and all I wanted to do was curl into a ball. “Don’t curl, Scarlet, don’t do it,” the voice sounded panicky. “Scarlet stop, your heart. “ I felt a hand try to straighten me, “Scarlet you’re hurting yourself.”

Shaking my head I looked up at Alpha Ronald, “I think it was a memory.” Alpha looked a little taken aback. “The man called to me. Me.” I watched closely as Alpha continued to stare at me, “Alpha I think I shifted as a child and that man knows how to draw my wolf out of me.” Neither of us spoke and just let the drums fill the air. Alpha Ronald continued to look down at me when he then suddenly got up.

Sticking his hands into his pockets he looked off to the stage, “Do you wish to find this man Scarlet?”

“I have a feeling he may know about me then I do. For years I’ve been wondering where I came from, who my parents are and who I am.” I looked down at my hands that rested on my lap. “If I find the man I saw then maybe I’ll find out more about myself.”

“If you want to leave I will not stop you but remember if you leave this pack other packs out there will consider you rouge. Straying foolishly into other’s territories is dangerous and the last thing I want is to hear that you were killed. I think of you like a daughter Scarlet and despite you wanting to leave to do something other than school brings me to a tough decision. Whether or not I should brand you as a rouge.”

“Alpha,” my voice shook with a little apprehension.

“Don’t worry Scarlet there isn’t a force on this earth that would make me brand you as a rouge. So remember this,” he looked at me. “If at any point you decide you’re tired this pack will always welcome you back.”

“Thank you Alpha Ronald,” he nodded and for a split second I saw something flash in his eyes just before he walk away.

Guilt.

Alpha Ronald felt guilt, but for what?

ᶲ ᶲ


The night seemed to move by quick and before I knew it everyone was gathering around a bond fire. A circle was formed and mates walked in the middle of it.

It’s the Fate dance.

The only dance weres can do if they have found their mate. The very one Jenny can't do. Looking to my side I noticed Jenny watching the couples going towards the middle of the circle. She looks sad and I felt sorry for her. It's not every day that you can do the dance and yet she was told no.

"Why don't you try and ask him one more time?" I asked her.

She shook her head, "It would be useless."

Sighing she walked away and I decided not to go after her. Jenny most likely needs some time to herself. Frowning as she disappeared in the crowd I turned my attention back to the ones about to dance. Mates walked hand in hand with smiles on their faces. Something inside me made me feel sad watching them. Despite making up my mind to go searching for information about my past I can’t help but feel a little down.

I have no idea as to how long I will be away; if I’m going to be able to find answers, or even find my mate. I have no idea when I’ll experience the festival again.

I have no idea about anything. Everything’s a mystery and yet I about to dive head first without a plan on anything.

Clearly I’m not of sane mind right now, but that could be my nerves.

Something tugged on the corners of my lips drawing me out of my thoughts. Blinking a couple of times I found Harvey in front of my, his fingers turning my lips up in a forced smile. Playful I swatted him away and he smiled at me.

“Scarlet,” someone called my name out gaining my attention. Looking around I notice Carol pushing herself through the crowd while waving at me.

“Carol,” I couldn’t help but feel a little confused at why she was coming up to me. “Nice to see you.”

She laughed coming up to me, “Well I’ve been a little busy lately.”

Probably trying to avoid Jackson, I thought.

Shifting foot to foot I cleared my throat at the awkwardness, “D-do you need something?”

“I was wondering if you’ve seen Jackson anywhere.”

“No, not since he performed.”

She frowned, “Oh.”

“Is there anything I can help with?”

She shook her head, “No. I have just been wanting to talk to him. He’s actually been avoiding me since his shift.” She gave a weak smile.

“I heard that you too aren’t mates. I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. Just goes to show that dating before knowing who your mate is can lead to awkward situations, heart break even.”

“Oh.”

“But he doesn’t have to worry about me. I won’t challenge whoever turns out to be his mate,” she waved her hands frantically. “I won’t be one of those girls that kick and cry over something that’s not theirs. I just want him to know I want to still be friends.”

I nodded, “Then I hope you find him.”

“Look who I dragged back,” Billy cut in holding Jenny by the arm.

“I said I want to be alone you jerk.” Jenny hissed at her brother.

“No one should sulk alone,” he snapped back.

Jenny made a ticked facial expression and opened her mouth to say something when a shiver went through me.

The festival grounds went still, the music immediately stopped and everyone froze.

Howling.

The perimeter wolves were howling making everyone halt. Several males started growling as did some of the females. Jenny and Billy looked crossed between angry and worried.

"Rogues," Billy said.

'Run, Scarlet,' the male voice drifted in my head. 'Run and hide.' His voice sounded urgent.

"Jen-" I looked at her feeling worried as she stared at the ground with an intense look on her face.

"All children and Unshifted to the bunker!" Gama yelled from the stage. "All shifted wolves shift and await further instructions," Gama looked at the crowd and quickly everyone was separating. The teens, pups, and pre-teens were forming a mob going one direction away from the festival grounds. I looked at Carol when Harvey grabbed my arm. He tugged on me to start walking with the crowd and for some reason I took hold of Carol's hand. The two of us looked at each just as Harvey pulled me into the crowd. "Follow Ferris to the bunker," Gama yelled as I bumped into someone.

The grounds turned frantic and quickly I turned to look at Billy and Jenny. They were on the ground already transforming, not caring their clothes were being torn apart. Everyone started running towards into the woods to where the hidden bunker was. Wolves ran across the grounds in different direction as we exited.

'Scarlet,' I heard Alpha's voice in my head. 'You're in charge of the pups. When you're in the bunker take everyone to the furthest room and try to keep the pups calm. Have Carol help you with them.'

'Something tells me this isn't a normal rouge attack, Alpha.' I thought, 'Everyone, every were knows not to attack during this moon. It's against w-'

'Scarlet,' he cut me off. 'Stay with the group and keep close to Harvey.'

I looked at Harvey noticing he was scanning the crowd, 'okay.'

'Keep everyone safe,' he said urgently.

'Yes Alpha,' I felt the connect drop as a wolf I recognized as Trent came up beside me.

"Luna sent him," Carol said behind me.

Lucky for everyone the bunker isn't far, but it still doesn't mean were safe. Running through the woods not being able to shift while under attack from rouges is the worst case scenario come to life.
♠ ♠ ♠
BOOM! I uploaded 2 Chapters!
This is for you broken-angel and IceDeath. For commenting on this
^_^
Much love to you two.
SO I ask you watch this awesome AMV I found (Also don’t forget to tell me what you think!)