Victory Is the Only Thing That Can Keep You Alive

Bucs Night

Going to the baseball game hadn't been the most exciting thing for me but a night out with the boys before the season really took off was something I was definitely up for. I had missed them all over the off season, a lot more than I probably would have liked to admit but deep down we all knew what we meant to one another. See there was one thing about athletes, they were happy to tell the whole world sincerely how much their teammates meant to them but never sincerely to each others face, it was always in a laugh. The exception to that would be Geno and I, because well, lets just say we were way past that point.

“You look beautiful,” Geno smiled as I stood on the front door step of his house waiting for him to be ready to go.
“Thanks, I would say you don't look so bad yourself but well... you look horrible,” I teased but only to stop myself from almost drooling over the floor as he stood in front of me shirtless and in a pair of dark washed jeans.
“Was going to say come in but you mean,” he shut the door with a pout on his face.
“Geno!” I called knocking on the door, “come on, open up, I am sorry,” I chuckled as he opened the door again looking skeptically at me.
“That wasn't good enough apology.”
“Fine,” I sighed and lent forward giving him a kiss on the cheek.
“Better, not perfect but better,” he smiled letting me in.

“Don't go making a habit of answering the door without one of these on,” I grabbed a shirt from the pile of washing on the dining table and threw it his way.
“Why? You not like?” he smirked and walked over to me.
“No, I like it but we wouldn't want the delivery man getting the wrong idea,” he stepped into my space and I instinctively put my hands on his chest.
“Unless you my parcel,” he sat me up on the table behind me and stepped between my legs taking that chance to attack my lips.

I let myself get lost in the kiss for a while; running my hands up and down the expanse of his chest, feeling each contour of muscle there before pulling back.
“Geno,” I pushed him back enough to finally breathe, “as much as I would love to stay here and kiss you all afternoon we can't. I promised Olli we would pick him up.”
“Cameron,” he sighed, “why?”
“Because I am a good teammate and someone has to welcome the rookie,” I wiggled my way out from his grip and stepped away before he could grab me.
“But why you have to be person?”
“I am not, you are too,” I smiled heading over to the fridge to steal a cold bottle of water, “now come on, put on a shirt and lets go.”
“Fine,” he sighed with a pout before heading upstairs.

Geno was ridiculous on the best of days. His stupid smile and pouting face made it hard to get a lot done but I was learning. I wasn't becoming immune to his puppy dog eyes because I don't think that would ever be possible but I was learning how to control myself.

He came back down wearing a crisp black Pirates Jersey and he was almost looking even better than before, if that was actually humanly possible.
“I buy you one too,” he smiled holding out a white jersey that was going to be way too big for me.
“Geno,” I accepted the gift, feeling my cheeks flame red because he really didn't have to, “it's amazing thank you.”
“Is ok, put on,” he insisted.

I put the jersey on over my Pirates shirt and gave him a quick peck on the lips to show how much I appreciated it.
“One day I get you in my jersey,” he raised his eyebrow at me with a mischievous grin.
“Have fun with making that happen,” I patted his cheek and turned around to head for the door, “now come on.”

Truth was that thought may have crossed my mind once or twice before but it was something that we could save for a rainy day.

“Hey you guys made it,” Nealsy smiled as the three of us took our seats in amongst the team.
“Yes and I brought this little one,” I ruffled up Olli's hair making him blush and duck his head before sinking into his seat.
“Good, I was hoping you would,” Sid said in his captain voice before going back to watching the field.

Team outings always ended up in some little chaos with fans wanting pictures and signatures but we all didn't mind. Getting a chance to meet the people who supported us through everything and always stuck by us was awesome. The amount of little girls though who came up and told me they had started playing hockey because of me though made me almost tear up.

“Your my favourite,” a little girl curly hair blonde girl, no older than six stood in front of me clutching her camera in her tiny hands.
“Really? What about Crosby?” I pointed to the captain sitting in the seat behind me.
“No, you,” she smiled.
“What about me?” Geno sat forward with a hopeful grin.
“Second,” she put two little fingers up.
“I am better, I play longer,” he pressed.
“No,” she shook her head, “girls are better.”
“Yeah,” I joined in with her taunting and poked my tongue out at him.

If we weren't deep in conversation or having fun with the fans the group of us were cheering the made at the game. Even Olli let up just the slightest for some fun.

That was how I found myself waking up from where I was curled up in my seat, head pillowed on Olli's shoulder as people cheered around me.
“Why?” I grumbled feeling it was completely unnecessary.
“We won Cameron, that's why,” Olli chuckled joining in on the clapping, his arm jutting me with each clap enough that I had to sit up.

“Can we go home now?” I whined to anyone who would listen.
“Yes we can,” Geno answered rubbing my back soothingly as I stretched feeling each bone in my body crack.
“Come on Cameron, get up,” the Finnish boy ushered me to my feet before I even had much of a chance to get myself up.
“I don't want to... Geno,” I whined as I felt a pair of arms grab me and stop me from tumbling down the stands.
“Climb on back, I carry you,” Geno knelt down in front of me for me to wrap my arms around his neck and hitch my legs up for a piggy back ride.

I nuzzled into the back of his neck for warmth before I felt something warm being draped over my back.
“Have my jacket, keep you warm,” it was Olli and I was silently thanking him as I felt myself succumb to sleep again even with all the noise going on around us.

I woke up again a little while later when Geno was putting me into bed. I looked around noticing the terrible abstract painting on the wall and knew I was at my place.
“You ok?” he ran his hand through my hair, pushing my fringe out of my face.
“Yeah, just tired,” I yawned, “was a long day.”
“Yes it was. Need anything? Check blood sugar?” he rummaged around in my bag and pulled out my diabetes kit.
“I feel fine but ok,” I gave him my hand and let him go to work without a fuss because he only ever seemed completely satisfied when he saw the readings for himself.

The machine beeped and he didn't sigh so I knew they were fine, I had been extra careful today.
“I am just exhausted from the day.”
“Ok,” He lent down and dropped a kiss to my forehead, “I believe you.”
“Good, now sleep,” I patted the spot next to me for him to lay down.
“Cam letting me sleepover on school night?” he teased.
“We don't have a hockey game tomorrow, now come please,” I rolled over and waited for him to appear on the other side of the bed before I could dos off again.
“Night Cam,” he kissed my nose before I was completely out to the world for good that night.
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright I was thinking about writing an Olli Maatta story, I mean seriously that kid is gold and if you guys would be interested in reading it than I will be more than happy to post it on here. So let me know, also don't be afraid to say hey on here, I always liked to know my readers :)