Sequel: Blood

Bluff

Preparation

Despite the past week or two, Kory was determined to make this one of the best days Marrissa's ever had. There had never been many reasons for Kory to wake up before eight AM, but this was definitely one of them. She listened to Hollywood Whore by Papa Roach as she drove to Party City, seeing as the local bakery wouldn't be open for another hour or two. She grabbed her cell phone from her purse, in the passenger seat and quickly texted Brian, not sure if he'd be awake or not.

To: Brian
From: Kory
Txt: Are you awake yet?


She placed her phone in her lap as she continued driving, stopping at a red light before Brian replied.

To: Kory
From: Brian
Re: I am now


Kory sighed, and replied quickly.

To:Brian
From: Kory
Re: Sorry. =/ Wanna help me pick out deco for Rissa's party?(:


It took a while longer for Brian to reply this time. Kory assumed he had been waking up.

To: Kory
From: Brian
Re: Sure. Party City?


Kory then texted him the time to be there, seeing as she'd take longer to arrive because she was coming straight from campus. Once she finally had, Brian was leaning against the doors, waiting for her. She forced herself to resist the overwhelming urge to grin ear to ear, which resulted in a small smile. She pulled him into a quick hug, fixing the beanie she had on before the two walked inside.

"So, what exactly are we looking for?" Brian asked, giving her a once-over. She was in a pair of tight, white jeans, and a thin, fitting purple hoodie that matched the metallic ring in her nose. Her hair was separated into two braids that rested on each of her shoulders, a white beanie on top. The usual amount of eye makeup was around her eyes, but her lipstick was a shade darker than usual. She was stunning, she always was but today something seemed...different. Maybe it was because Brian had spent several hours the night before thinking about her body alone.

Shrugging, Kory yawned. "Streamers, a few balloons. It's a pool party, so keep that in mind," she replied, walked to the assortment of different colored streamers. "Oh, I have to be back by ten, though. She usually wakes up about ten thirty and I wanna be there when she wakes up," she added quickly.

The two spent about forty-five minutes picking out different colored streamers, balloons, and even a few decorations that would go into the pool. Brian went with her to order the cake, which he decided he'd pick up, before Kory finally had to leave. She and Brian had had a good time talking about the album, various artists, the party, or just random things that had crossed their minds. But, no matter what they talked about, neither mentioned what had happened the night before.

Image

Kory stuck a candle in the cupcake she had gotten from the cafeteria. Lighting the wick before walking into Marrissa's room, Brian was still somewhat on her mind. She grinned, poking Marrissa's side, causing her to groan and flinch a little bit. "Happy birthday!"

Marrissa rubbed at her eyes tiredly, though a smile was still planted on her face. "Thanks," she mumbled, sitting up. She leaned against the wall, patting the spot on the bed beside her, motioning for Kory to sit. She then made a quick wish, blowing out the candle with a smile on her face.

"What'd ya wish for?" Kory asked, chuckling softly. She was so, so proud of her best friend. She had come so far since she was a teenager, achieved so much, she'd figured out who she was for the most part and Kory was so proud.

Laughing, Marrissa stuck out her tongue. "I can't tell you, silly!" She giggled, before taking the plate from Kory, pulling out the candle from the cupcake and licking the excess frosting off. She then split the cupcake in half, handing the right side to Kory. "Thanks," she said, grinning.

Kory smirked, swiping some of her frosting off of her half with her finger, and placing it on Marrissa's cheek. "Gotchya," she said, standing up quickly so Marrissa couldn't get her revenge. She laughed, and licked the frosting from the top of her cupcake. "Take a shower so we can go bikini shopping before your party," she said, smiling as Marrissa attempted to get the frosting from her cheek.

Marrissa nodded, and cleared her throat. "Where'd you go this morning?" She asked, curiosity writen all over her face. She placed the plate onto the bed-side table, standing up to grab a change of clothes.

Kory felt stupid for thinking that she wouldn't have noticed, and she knew that Marrissa would know if she made up a story, so she told her most of it. "Party City - needed decorations. Jimmy and I are setting things up while you receive my present," she replied, a grin on her face. She had had her present reserved for months now, and the mystery of not knowing had been killing Marrissa, Kory knew.

"Ugh, you're not even going to tell me yet?" Marrissa asked, an exasperated look on her face. She held a change of clothes in her hand then, before padding out into the hallway.

"Nope. You'll know as soon as we've got our bikini's picked out, though." Kory pulled out her cell phone then, glancing at the time. "I've got class, but I'll be back before you're ready. Happy birthday!" She quickly grabbed her notebook and pens, giving Marrissa a quick hug before rushing to her Creative Writing class.

Image

The girls' took longer than expected to pick out their bikini's, so Jimmy had arrived at the Albee house before Kory did. She apologized repeatedly. But Jimmy didn't seem to care at all. He was just as chirpy and hyper as always. They first began putting up the streamers in the house, gradually making their way onto the gazebo and eventually the open patio with the underground pool smack dab in the center.

They finished way earlier than anticipated, and were both sitting at the edge of the pool, their legs dangling inside the water. "Have you talked to Brian about last night yet?" He suddenly asked, throwing Kory off immensely. She thought that no one other than Marrissa and Brian knew, but apparently she had been wrong.

Jimmy laughed at her stunned reaction. "He tells me everything. Don't worry, my lips are sealed," he said, making a zipping motion across his lips, before locking them together and throwing the invisible key behind him.

Kory nodded in relief. "Okay, good. But, no. We hung out this morning but we didn't really talk about it. Why?"

He shrugged, before sighing. "No reason, just curious. Do you like him?" Jimmy leaned back on his arms then, feeling the pavement beneath his palms.

Sighing, Kory closed her eyes. "I don't know...do I? I mean, I've never had much experience at all with guys. I've only ever had one serious relationship before, and that ended years ago. I've never been really...interested in anyone I guess." She turned so she was facing Jimmy. "What does it feel like?"

Jimmy laughed loudly. "Your innocence is almost disturbing, Kor. It feels kinda like...like with Mason, Rissa, or Melody, you know how you'd do anything for them, no matter what it costs? How you'd lay your life on the line before you'd let them get hurt? It's kinda like that, except intensified by a bajillion."

Kory shrugged, then. "He's rad, I mean, I like him but I don't know if that intensity is possible, Jim-jam," she teased, poking his side.

He pretended to look hurt, placing his hand on his chest, the opposite side where his heart was. "I'm offended!"

Giggling, Kory hit him in the arm playfully. "You're in the same category as Mel and dad and Rissa, don't worry," she reassured, smiling. "By the way, your heart's over here," she pointed to the opposite side of his chest.

"Oh," he laughed softly, then. It was silent for a second, before he relentlessly broke it. "Can I see your phone?" He asked.

Kory nodded, pulling it out of her hoodie and handing it to him, assuming that he just needed to call someone or maybe look something up online. But, when he pushed her into the pool, she let out a small scream.

He was laughing when she resurfaced, standing now. He placed both of their phones onto the ground, taking his shirt off before jumping in. Kory was laughing then, too. They began splashing water at each other, and even began a race from one end of the pool to the other before Kory's phone began to ring, signaling that it was time to pick up Marrissa from the spa.

She mentally thanked herself for setting an alarm, because otherwise she would've been late picking Marrissa up. She climbed out of the pool, unzipping her wet hoodie, placing it on the back railing of the gazebo to dry. She then pulled her tank top off, laying it next to her hoodie. She grabbed her cell phone, along with Jimmy's shirt, and trotted up the stairs. "Matt's here! I'll be back in half an hour, make sure Brian's here with the cake!" She called to Jimmy as she skipped towards her car.