Status: Inactive for lack of motivation and feedback.

The Witch and the Sorcerer

These Scars

“Loki!”

“Odin, please!” Frigga begged.

“Father, we were-“

“Shut it!” Odin roared at Loki.

Loki looked down at Avery, who was on her knees in front of the king with shackles around her wrists. Loki closed his eyes and shook his head.

“Get her out of those!” he shouted at Odin.

“You dare raise your voice at me?”

“All-Father, please let me explain!” Avery cried.

Odin glared down at her.

“You have one minute to convince me not to cast you out,” he threatened.

Avery nodded.

“Our lateness is a product of us being foolish, but I assure you, Loki did not touch me, nor did I touch him in an appropriate manner. We were merely star gazing,” she explained.

“Father, she tells the truth. We just needed to get out of the palace for a while,” Loki said.

“Your place is here, Loki,” Odin said strictly, “However, Avery, I believe your welcome has run its course.”

Avery looked devastated. Frigga covered her mouth, trying to suppress the urge to run over and hug the smaller woman. Loki felt tears prick his eyes.

“Please, let me stay, All-Father!” she pleaded, “I’ll work off my punishment. I’ll go to prison! I don’t care. Just let me stay here! I have no home on Midgard.”

“What makes you think you have a home here?” Odin asked darkly.

“I am appalled, Odin!” Frigga exclaimed.

Odin turned to the Queen.

“You would cast her out for coming home late, when she and Loki have done no harm?” she nearly shouted.

While the King and Queen fought, Avery looked up pleading at Loki.

“Loki,” she whispered.

Loki, not caring about punishment, ran down to his friend, dropped to his knees, and hugged her close.

“Witches have no place here!” Odin snapped.

“Then do I have no place in your presence?” she asked, offended.

“There is a difference between an Asgardian sorceress and a damn Midgardian witch!” Odin spat.

Avery shuddered with a cry, the harshest of insults hitting her in the core. Loki held her tightly.

“There is no difference,” he whispered to her.

“Guards! Get him away from that harlot!” the King shouted.

“She is not a harlot!” Loki screamed at him.

Two guards ripped him away from his best friend. Avery let out a heart-wrenching cry.

“Please, All-Father!” she cried, “I’ll do anything. Please, don’t make me go.”

Odin stared at her for a moment.

“Send her to Midgard,” he ordered.

Two guard swooped by and grabbed Avery, dragging her to Heimdall.

“No!” Avery screamed.

“Odin, my dear, please reconsider!” Frigga pleaded, “This young girl has done nothing wrong, nor has she ever done a wrong here.”

“My decision has been made,” Odin stated.

Avery cried loudly. Loki felt tears well up in his eyes, seeing his best friend in so much pain.

“Avery Dupont, I hereby cast you out of Asgard, and sentence you back in the life in which you belong,” Odin ordered.

Avery looked to Heimdall, one of the only people outside of the royal family that had been kind to her. He looked down on her with amber eyes, his expression apologetic.

“Did you not see us?” she whispered.

“I did, but I cannot argue with the king’s decision,” he said.

Avery cried. She wished Heimdall could have spoken up, but it was not his place.

“At least let me say goodbye,” Loki said in a last ditch effort to magic himself and Avery away and remove her cuffs.

“No, Loki!” Odin barked, then looked to Heimdall.

He nodded to Heimdall, drove his staff into floor, opening the Bifrost.

“Loki! Frigga!” Avery screamed.

Loki lurched for his friend, but she was already gone. He looked through the opening to the constellations outside in devastation. He then looked back to Odin. Oh, he would pay.


***

“Does this suit your liking, Ave?” Loki asked from behind me.

I stared at the chambers around me. It was like a house inside of a skyscraper.

“These were the grandparents’ chambers,” he said, walking passed me, “I changed it to fit your liking. You can change it how you see fit.”

“Your grandparents won’t mind the walls being red?” I asked playfully.

Loki shook his head.

“It’s just a room,” he said.

I nodded. The room was a massive space, almost like a large food court in a mall on Midgard. It reminded me of an open concept living room. A large floor to ceiling window stood to my left. The ceiling was vaulted, two stories high. A fireplace, above which Loki had mounted my television, was made of pure white marble and stretched from the floor to high in the ceiling. A giant area rug with a glass coffee table, a red and gold sectional, and two matching tan chairs were seated around the television. Two boxes of my movies and another filled with cords and other movie-viewing necessities were placed on the coffee table. A fire was roaring in the fireplace, more for light than heat, a black chandelier hung from the ceiling, and two matching lamps, both looking from Midgard’s Victorian era, sat upon the sectional’s side tables. Sconces dimly accented the room. One the far side was a dark wood door, and beyond it, an exquisite bathroom of black, silver, crystal and white marble. Next to the bathroom door was a curving staircase leading up to the bedroom.

“This is different from the others. Does the King’s chambers look like this?” I asked.

Loki half-smiled.

“It is similar,” he said distantly, then after a moment, turned to me, “Do you like it?”

I smiled and nodded.

“Soon it will feel like home,” I said thoughtfully, then glance over at him, “It’s beautiful, Loki. Thank-you.”

Loki walked over to me and took my lips as his. I cupped his jaw and kissed back.

“It’s so good to have you back,” he said lowly and pressed his forehead to mine.

I smiled up at him.

“I never thought in the days of your exile that I would have a chance to stand with you again,” he said sadly, “To tell you that I loved you. To hold you.”

Loki held my cheeks in his palms.

“To kiss you.”

I smiled a smile so happy it made my cheeks hurt. Loki smiled and took my hands between his and kissed me again. I wanted this small moments with him to last forever. I wanted to be drowned his attentions after being away from his touch for so long.

“I’ve never known you to be such a romantic. Flirt, yes, but this?” I asked.

“You bring out the absolute worst in me,” he teased.

I laughed and he collided his lips with mine, this time more passionately.

At the door, a knock sounded.

“WHAT?” I barked viciously.

Loki snorted and tried not to die laughing.

“I-I-I do apologize, my lady,” stammered the voice of a guard, “but I was told I could find the king at these chambers.”

Loki groaned and the outline of him illuminated green. He focused on the door, and I could hear his voice outside the door. I watched in awe as he performed the illusion.

“Your presence is requested in the dining hall, your Majesty,” the guard said, “The ball is ready to commence.”

“Damn,” Loki muttered.

“A ball?” I asked an all too focused Loki.

“The feast has already ended, my Lord,” the guard went on.

“Send my condolences to the family. I had an emergency and cannot make it to the ball, but send my wishes and I will have a gift waiting on their doorstep by morning. Have dinner sent to these chambers for Lady Avery and myself,” Loki ordered.

“Yes, my Lord,” the guard said, then there was a shuffling of feet.

Loki zapped his projection back to him and looked down slyly at me.

“You little liar,” I whispered.

“I have no patience for balls. Never did in my youth, and certainly not now. I have no attachment towards the family, anyway. It was a coming of age ball for a noblewoman,” he spat.

I curled my lip.

“Sounds boring,” I commented.

“Indeed. One I would rather not wreck with my presence,” he said.

I frowned and reached up to touch his cheek. I couldn’t imagine what was going on in his mind. To be burdened with the throne, trying to redeem himself, and being hated by the lot of his people. Jotun by blood or not, they were still his people.

“I’ll still have you,” I said.

Loki sighed heavily and wrapped his arms around my waist. He touched his forehead to mine, keeping his eyes closed. I pulled his slender body into a hug.

“Do you think this will cause so sort of war with the Frost Giants?” I asked, “The portal?”

Loki sighed and pulled back.

“Don’t dwell on it now, darling,” he said, tucking my hair behind one ear.

“But-“

“Ave, shh,” he said, putting his index finger to his lips.

That shut me up!

Loki gave me this smoldering stare.

“I didn’t think that would work,” he said.

I rolled my eyes.

“So obedient,” he purred.

I stared at him like he was crazy, while on the inside, flames were igniting.

“Don’t get used to it,” I retorted.

Loki grinned and hugged the crap out go me.

“Ow. Okay, that’s enough. You’re stronger than me,” I reminded him.

Loki immediately let go.

“Sorry, love. Did I hurt you?” he asked worriedly.

I couldn’t contain the smile that formed on my face. He was so caring. How is it he was of Jotun blood? The only ones I’ve met were brainless savages.

“I’m fine, Loki. My side is still a little tender, but other than that,” I said with a shrug.

Loki took my hand.

“Come to the couch. Let me examine it,” he said.

I allowed him to take me to the couch. I sat beside him in the light of the fireplace.

“Do you mind if I have a look?” he asked, being a total gentleman about it.

I smiled and lifted the hem of my t-shirt, revealing my stomach. Loki leaned down and lightly touched his fingertips to the tender spot.

“I barely see it, now,” he said.

I smiled and looked down at him.

“You’re a good healer, Loki,” I said softly.

He looked up at me and smiled warmly. He then looked back down at the many other scars littering my skin.

“I could make these vanish, too, if you would like?” he asked, “I can’t erase the memories, but I can remove the evidence.”

I nodded slowly.

“There’s a lot of them,” I warned him.

He just smiled lovingly.

“I can take care of them. Just be still for me, sweetheart,” he said.

Loki touched my stomach, holding the sides with both hands. Warm magic spread across my abdomen. I let out a small moan as sweet, healing energy coated me. Loki drew the magic down my legs, over my back and down my arms.

“Does that feel good?” he asked.

I merely nodded. It felt like pure energy that was all Loki’s his presence ten-fold. Like his soul was melting all over my skin, if that makes sense.

“Look at you stomach, Ave,” he spoke.

I opened my eyes and looked down. My skin, which had been decorating with pink and white lines of shiny skin, was as clear as Loki’s perfect complexion. I gasped checked my arms, then pulled my jeans up to see my legs their original paleness.

“Oh my God! Thank-you!” I exclaimed and jumped up to hug him.

Loki chuckled.

“You’re welcome,” he said.

I scooted down on the couch and rolled over to lay my head in his lap. There was a knock at the door.

“That would be our feast,” he said, the looked over his shoulder, “Enter.”

I heard the door open and the sound of clinking dishes.

“Table,” Loki ordered.

“Yes, my Lord,” a servant spoke.

Loki rested an arm across my chest, his hand resting close to my neck. I reached up and lightly massaged his hand and fingers, feeling a man’s hand that I knew would never wrap around my neck. Loki remained silent as he ran his fingers through my hair. I glanced up at him. Loki had a different aura about him. A very positive one. An honest one. One of pure power. An aura connecting strongly with mine. I knew in that moment, his devotion was pure. He would fight for me—die for me. As would I for him.

The servants set the table and the smell of food made my stomach growl. Loki looked down at me.

“Are you hungry, my darling?” he purred.

I smirked and sat up to kiss him.

“Yes, my King,” I said playfully.

Loki’s eyes looked like blue fire.

“You will be the undoing of me,” he said lowly.

I took his chin in my fingers.

“That was the plan, my dear,” I said playfully.

Whether or not this portal caused a war, I knew Loki and I both would be at war with each other, trying to out-love the other.

***
Los Angeles, CA

A body made entirely of metal landed in the driveway of its billion dollar home. A silver car with a slender body in front of it, stood in her business suit and strawberry blonde hair tied into a sleek ponytail, glaring at the red and yellow mass in front of her. The face plate on the metal man slid up, revealing its alias, Tony Stark, underneath.

“Um, Pepper…what are you doing?” he asked.

Tony walked over to the car and peered in to see suitcase.

“I had to end a, might I say, fantastic kiss and you try to leave me?” he asked jokingly.

Pepper pursed her lips.

“Your things are in there, too. The essentials, anyway,” she replied.

Tony was intrigued.

“That’s all I need. Where are we going? France? Venice? Please tell me it’s Venice!”

Pepper closed her eyes and groaned.

“Tony!”

“Or is it something more exotic? I’ve heard Asia is the in vacation spot this year,” he went.

“No, Tony! You got that call and it…well, I just wanted to be prepared,” she said.

Tony’s face fell. Ever since the horrors he had face with The Mandarin, losing all he owned, nearly losing Pepper, every call to action scared them.

“Pepper, it was only a precautionary check. Nothing to worry about,” he assured her.

Pepper sighed. Tony cupped her cheek.

“Let’s go inside,” he said, “I want to finish that kiss.”

Pepper cracked a smile and put her arms around Tony’s neck.

“What about now?” she asked.

“Even better,” he said.

Pepper smiled as he pressed his lips to hers.

“Sir, you have an incoming visitor,” JARVIS spoke.

Tony reluctantly broke the kiss. Pepper just smiled at him.

“I have to get to work,” she said.

“Call in sick,” Tony said.

“The CEO cannot call in sick,” she snapped.

“I can vouch for you,” Tony insisted.

Pepper smiled and gently pushed him away. On high, they could hear Tony’s incoming visitor.

“I’ll pick you up for lunch?” Tony asked.

Pepper just smiled.

“That sounds better,” she said.

Pepper walked across the driveway and opened the garage to pick another car. Clouds swirled above Tony’s home, as if a storm was coming in at super speed. Thunder cracked high in the clouds. Lightning flashed and a figure shot out of the clouds. Tony stood his ground as a familiar blonde man, landed in front of him, his hammer looking strangely out of place in his hands.

“Someone’s been shopping,” Tony remarked, referring to Thor’s simple t-shirt and jeans.

Thor took a few deep breaths. He had been in such a hurry to find Stark, that he had nearly forgotten to breathe.

“Might I have a word with you?” Thor asked, his voice booming and echoing off of the strange angles of Tony’s ultra modern home.

“Yeah, sure,” Tony said casually.

Pepper pulled out of the garage and stopped the car when she saw Thor. She nervously waved.

“I’ll see you at noon, Tony. Good morning, Thor,” she said, looking slightly frightened.

Thor politely bowed to her.

“My lady,” he said.

Tony saw the blush rise on Pepper’s cheeks as she put the car in gear and drove away. Tony clapped his metal hands together, resulting in a muffled clink.

“Would you like a drink, Point Break? I would,” Tony said.

He turned and began to walk inside, pieces of his suit flying off of him. Thor followed behind.

“I apologize if I interrupted you, but this is an urgent matter. It could not wait,” Thor said.

Tony waved him off.

“That’s fine,” he said, “Beer?”

It was early in the morning, but to Tony, any time was a good time. He needed the alcohol to keep him from having an anxiety attack. He had had a good streak, and he was not about to break it now.
Thor followed Tony into the kitchen and watched as he opened the refrigerator. Midgardian alcohol was far too weak to have an affect on him, but he still found himself wanting one.

“Yes, please,” Thor said.

Tony tossed Thor a longneck before grabbing one for himself.

“What brings you here, big guy? Some Avengers mission, because if it is, I’m out of service. Trying to plan a wedding and this and that,” Tony said.

“That was actually my question for you, Stark. About the Avengers,” Thor said.

Tony took a swig of his beer and looked on at Thor, puzzled.

“You’re here on your own?” he asked.

Thor nodded. For the time being, he was.

“I cannot divulge much yet, but I thought you would be the first to know of any happenings with the One-Eyed Man,” he explained, taking a drink of his own beer.

Tony smiled.

“I haven’t heard a peep out of Fury. Why? What’s going on? You seem pretty upset,” he said.

Thor set his jaw.

“A portal was found on Midgard. In the northern part of this state,” Thor explained.

Tony stared at Thor in horror and set his bottle down.

“That must have been the disturbance the military called me about. They said there was something weird in the atmosphere and they wanted me to come check it out.”

Thor said nothing. He knew it was his, Loki and Avery’s arrival that had caused the alarm, but one mention of Loki and the entire Earth would go into a frenzy.

“You knew not of the portal?” Thor asked.

Tony shook his head.

“Where does it go?” he asked.

Thor sighed. He chose his words carefully. If he outright said Jotunheim, he would have to explain how he knew, which would bring danger over his brother and dear friend.

“We believe it could be Jotunheim. There could be portals everywhere. In this realm and another. We just have to find out where they are, what their purpose is, and who made them,” Thor said.

“Oh yeah. Sounds simple,” Tony said sarcastically, “How are they in existence? The Tesseract?”

“The Tesseract is safe on Asgard. It isn’t in use. These are different portals. Carefully hidden for any innocent person to fall into and die,” Thor said.

Tony nodded.

“Sounds like someone is devising a trap. The question is: for who?” he said.

“I wish I could tell you,” Thor said.

Tony nodded.

“I won’t inform S.H.I.E.L.D. They’ll think it’s the Tesseract and all hell will break loose. They have a happy for the thing,” he said bitterly.

Thor furrowed his eyebrows in confusion.

“It’s a vulgar phrase. I really don’t want to deal with them. I just want a year of peace. That’s it,” Tony said.

“I’m not employing you, Stark. I only have questions. I mean to protect this planet. If portals are opening between Realms, I will need assistance. Everything could fall apart if these portals are used with means of destruction. I cannot let that happen,” Thor said sternly.

Tony thoughtfully chewed his bottom lip.

“Should we assemble?” he asked Thor.

Thor stood from his seat and finished off his beer.

“Not so soon. I have business on Asgard to finish, but I will soon return. Please update me if you hear any new news,” he said.

Tony saluted him.

“Can do,” he said.

“Thank-you, Stark. I appreciate your understanding,” Thor said politely.

Tony gave Thor a sincere smile.

“I have your back, big guy. Safe travels,” he said.

Thor smiled at Tony and nodded to him before spinning on his heel and taking the last swig of his beer.

“JARVIS?”

“Yes, sir?” JARVIS asked, his voice coming from know where.

“What’s a portal made of?”

***

Loki slowly blinked, his focused on nothing physical, save for the woman peacefully napping on his stomach. Loki lightly ran a bent index finger down her cheek repeatedly, soothing her and him as they rested after their long day. Loki’s mind was not on the portals. He could care less. He was trying desperately to keep himself calm, and keep his anger at bay as he thought of the scars that littered Avery’s body. He recognized what was done by blades, by glass, by wood. He could only imagine her at her worst, trapped and wondering what she had done wrong. He felt so selfish. He had been worrying about the throne, while she suffered. He had never wanted that for her. She had been marked by men who had no right to even look at her with impure thoughts. They had no right to touch her. To make her cry. He was the only one, in his mind, allowed to touch her, but only with the gentlest and most loving of intentions. He hated those who touched scarred her, and he wanted them dead.
Avery stirred and her eyes fluttered open. Loki watched her and draped an arm across her chest. She glanced up at him upside-down and smiled.

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to crash on you like that,” she said.

Loki just smiled.

“I guess you’re forgiven,” he teased.

Avery smiled sleepily and hugged his arm. Loki felt the most minuscule of flutterings in his chest. Avery had always hugged his arms. Whether it was seeking comfort, linking her arm with his in a cheerful manner, or when she was in danger and he held her back with his arm. She was always at his side. He loved it. It made him feel wanted, and made him want to protect her all the more.

“You need to go to bed, my dear,” he said.

She sighed.

“I know.”

Avery gently removed his arm and sat up. Loki just watched as she pushed her hair out of her face.

“I’m going to go see what the bathroom is all about. Have a long, hot soak and get to bed,” she said.

Avery reached up and took his chin in her fingers.

“You’re exhausted, Loki,” she said softly.

Loki took her hands and pressed his lips to her knuckles.

“I’m fine,” he said.

“Loki, don’t. You march your butt to bed and get some sleep for me, okay?”

Avery pecked his lips. Loki smiled down at her.

“Alright, sweetheart,” he said to pacify her.

Avery stood from the couch and held her hands out for him. He took them and stood, towering over her. He tilted her chin up and kissed her deeply.

“Sleep well, my darling,” he said.

Avery smiled.

“You too, Loki. And thank-you for staying here for dinner instead of that ball. You didn’t have to do that,” she said.

Loki smiled and caressed her cheek.

“I would do anything to be in your presence. You can be assured of that,” he replied.

Avery looked away shyly. Loki hugged her and kissed her forehead before letting her go.

“Shall we dine on the balcony for breakfast in the morning?” he asked.

Avery smiled.

“Sure, Loki,” she replied.

Loki took the chamber door’s handle in his hand.

“If you need me, don’t hesitate to send for me. I’ll be here for you,” he said.

Avery seemed to smile wider. It sent a pleasant chill through him.

“Who knows?” he went on, “I may be here when you wake up.”

Avery snorted.

“Go to bed, sweetheart,” she said.

Loki smiled.

“Goodnight, my love,” he said.

With that, he shut the door. He would go to bed. Just not yet. He had something else to do first.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading! Please comment and subscribe!