Sequel: Chances Risked

Chances Taken

Chapter Thirteen

-Maggie-
As I was walking towards the locker room to get dressed for our one o’clock home game against the Calgary Flames. As I got to the door, I felt someone grab my wrist and was pulling me back the way I had come. I turned my head to see Sidney was the one dragging me away.

“What’s going on?” Mike asked as he turned the corner. He had dropped me off at the door and then went to park his car.

“Nothing, we’ll be in soon,” Sidney said and pulled me into the nearest office.

“Sid? What the hell?” I asked and saw that we were in Coach’s office, but Coach wasn’t here.

“How long have you and Tanger been a thing?” Sidney asked and I looked at him surprised that he knew.

“How-“

“It’s not that hard to figure out,” he said and I looked away, “We knew you two had a thing for each other, so how long?”

“Why does it-“

“Mags,” he said and I looked at him, “I’m not talking as a Captain, as long as it doesn’t screw up your time on the ice, none of us really care, I’m talking as a friend,” Sidney said and then sat on Coach’s desk and smiled at me, “So how long? And why hide it from us?”

“Well,” I said as I blushed and rubbed the back of my neck, “Um, we kind of started, uh, after we got back from Phoenix.”

“That’s not that long,” Sidney said and I shook my head, “But when the article came out-“

“We weren’t seeing each other, we were just friends,” I answered and he nodded his head.

“Why hide it?”

“I didn’t know if Mario or Coach- even you, would approve,” I said and Sidney sighed and nodded his head, “And I kind of wanted to take it slow.”

“Understandable,” he said and smiled towards me, “You’re happy though?”

“Yes,” I said with a smile on my face.

“Good, I’m guessing so, because your smile matched Tanger’s last night when you were texting him,” Sidney said and I blushed.

-Kris-
Mike walked into the room and looked confused; Jordan noticed and asked him what was wrong. Mike sat at his stall and sighed, “Did Mags do something wrong or something?”

“What do you mean?” Jordan asked.

“Sid just like drug her away,” Mike answered and I sat up straight, curious as to what he was talking about.

“I didn’t think she did anything,” Jordan said, “Did he look mad?”

“I don’t know,” Mike said and I wanted to get up and see what was going on, but as I was about to, Marc walked over, placed his hand on my shoulder and sat me down.

He spoke in French, telling me to calm down, Sidney just wanted to talk to Maggie about our relationship, she wasn’t in trouble or anything. I looked at him about to ask why did he care when the door opened and I heard laughing.

I relaxed when I saw Sidney and Maggie walk into the room, laughing and Maggie playfully shoved Sidney and told him he was an ass. I smirked and then looked down and went back to getting my gear on.

“What happened?” Max asked as Maggie sat at her stall and started to get her gear on.

“Oh just a little trash talkin’ between us and some of the Flames,” Maggie answered and then looked towards me and smiled.

After a while, Coach came into the room, we all had our gear and were ready to go out there to kick some ass. He called out who was on the first line today, Sidney, Geno, Maggie, myself and Mike. Coach gave his usual speech and then we headed out for our warm up. I smirked as Maggie did one last check in her mirror, making sure her usual side braid was perfect. The guys always busted her for never wearing a helmet during warm up because she wanted to keep her hair nice.

We were skating around warming up, I saw Maggie and came up to her side, “What did Sid want?” I asked and she looked at me and smiled.

“To say that he was happy for us,” she said and I smirked and nodded my head, “My family’s here again.”

“Where are they sitting?” I asked and she nudged her head towards the other side of the ice, where the Flames were warming up.

“Somewhere over there. I know they’re not glass seats, but I tried to get them as close as I could,” she said and I nodded my head.

“I’m sure they’re happy where ever they’re sitting,” I said and she laughed.

“My dad said that some people recognized him yesterday and wanted his autograph,” Maggie said and I smirked, “He wasn’t even a Penguin.”

“I think just the fact that he was a player,” I said and she nodded her head.

Warm ups were over and we went back into the locker room to get ready for the game, making sure our sticks and gear were all intact. Mario even came down and said a few words before leaving again to head up to the box that he usually sat in.

-Maggie-
Sidney, Geno, myself, Kris and Mike stood on the ice facing the American flag as they finished singing Canada’s national anthem and started to sing America’s. I rocked back and forth on my skates, preparing myself for the game while listening to this man with a really girly voice sing the national anthem, trying not to giggle like some other the others were doing, Sidney being one of them.

When the man finished singing the anthem, I breathed a sigh of relief and skated around a little bit. Going around Brent Johnson, who was in the net for us, and then headed for the main faceoff circle.

Throughout the first period, nothing other than some great saves from both Calgary’s goalie and our own. We only had one powerplay after Calgary’s man was caught holding against Chris Conner. By the end of the period, we went back to the locker room and tried to come up with a strategy to get a goal against these guys. The score was zero to zero.

During the second period, Arron Asham scored a goal against Calgary six minutes into the game, Kris and Brooks Orpik assisted, I was on the bench when that goal happened. However, six minutes later, Sidney scored a goal with Chris Kunitz and Kris assisting, I was in the penalty box for a bogus tripping call. When I got out of the box, I was heading towards the bench, when Coach told me to stay on the ice and called back Matt Cooke. Just as I went to reach for the puck as it was passed to me from Jordon, I felt myself being pushed to the ice. I quickly got up and went to say a few words to the person who pushed to almost be knocked to the ground as Deryk Engelland attacked Tim Jackman, I was guessing that Jackman was the one who pushed me. I felt someone pulling the back of my jersey and turned to see Jordan pulling me back, not wanting me to get hit since the two boys were pretty evenly matched when it came to fighting. The refs came in and called for a major penalty and sent the two back to their locker room for the five minute penalty. The score at the end of the period was two to zero, Penguins.

We were half way through the third period and it seemed to be the most entertaining for the fans and the refs were busy sending people to the penalty box. Engelland got into another fight, this time against Jarome Iginla, Kris fought Brendan Morrison for tripping and sending him flying into the boards, I was happy that he wasn’t hurt.

Jordan passed me the puck and I passed it to Sidney who took a shot and missed, I quickly snatched the puck up again and quickly passed it to Kris because I had two Flames coming at me. Kris passed it to Paul Martin who passed it to Sidney and I was happy to hear the horn going off that we had a goal. Sidney scored again for the second time that afternoon with Kris and Paul assisting him.

I was on the bench for a few minutes, but then back on the ice with Mike, Paul, Jordan and Tyler Kennedy. Mike snatched the puck off of Matt Stajan and passed it to me, I cursed when he passed it to wide and I missed it and watched as a Flame grabbed it and headed for Johnson. I kicked my skates into the ice and hustled down towards our net. I slowed when I saw that Johnson saved the puck and covered it. I moved in front of him because the Flames were still trying to get the puck. I saw that I was in front of Alex Tanguay and glared at him because he was about to hit Brent with his stick. I gave him a hard shove and watched as he smirked towards me and told me to watch out.

“Bring it!” I growled and watched as Mike came in front of me.

“Lucky your bodyguard is here!” Tanguay said and was pulled back with his teammates for another faceoff.

“What was that about?” Mike asked as Brent stood up and handed the ref the puck.

“Tanguay was about to hit me with his stick,” Brent said and patted my back, “Thanks.”

“Thanks for the save,” I said and then headed towards the bench feeling aggravated at the fact that he thought that I needed a bodyguard, which only made me think about who Engelland fought Jackmen after he shoved me and made me fall before, ‘…I can take care of my own ass…’