Sequel: Chances Risked

Chances Taken

Chapter Fifty One

-Kris-
“So how was your first Pittsburgh Penguins strength and conditioning?” Coach asked as he came onto the bus, at the end of the five days in West Point.

“I’ll let you know when I can feel my body!” Maggie yelled out and some of the guys laughed, Coach had a smirk on his face, “Damn, that shit was hard!”

“Told ya,” I said as he looked at her and I knew she wanted to hit me, but was happy that her arms hurt too much.

We drove the hour and half to the airport, the whole time Maggie was asleep on my shoulder and then when we were flying back to Pittsburgh, oh we both totally passed out.

It took a few hours, but we were finally back in Pittsburgh lugging our sore bodies to the bus, getting to the Consol and then everyone drove home. As soon as I got to Maggie’s place, she went to bed; just falling asleep when she felt me crawl into bed with her.

The next day I was so happy to have off, Maggie and I spent it just lying around doing absolutely nothing. I had no problem and no complaints just doing nothing, because the next two days were going to be spent on the ice practicing for our first preseason game in four days.

-Maggie-
“Boom bitch! And that’s how it’s done!” I yelled happily as I celebrated my goal, the last goal to be scored in this three to two winning game against the Red Wings. We were all happy about this game, and ready to take on the Blackhawks tomorrow night.

We all showered and changed and then headed out to go home. Some of the guys wanted to go for some food before, but most of us just went home. Kris went back to his apartment, not wanting to come over, knowing that if he did, we wouldn’t get much rest. I just collapsed onto my bed when I got home and passed out.

The next night, I was standing on the ice looking at the American flag singing the national anthem. This was the first home game against the Blackhawks, not having a home game against them last year. I looked towards them and remembered the last time I played them; I had gotten the scar that was on my side.

“Maggie,” I heard and looked at Sidney, “You all right?”

“Yeah,” I said and he nodded his head.

I was on the ice with Sidney, Kunitz, Kris and Orpik. Sidney faced off against Sharp and I smiled as I came up next to Kane, “Hey ya’ll,” he mocked my Southern accent and I rolled my eyes.

“Ello poppet,” I smirked and chuckled, “Ready to go down, Kaner?”

"Funny,” he said and looked at me, “I was about to ask you that.”

Sidney won the puck and the game had begun, Kunitz got the puck and headed for Crawford, I came up behind him and we passed it between each other and I wrapped around the net while Sidney had the puck. He shot it at the net, but it bounced off, I was at the right place, at the right time, and shot the puck into the net. Penguins were up by one in the first minute of the game.

At the end of the game, we were celebrating our win with the final score of four to one. I smiled brightly; everyone was in a good mood as we headed off the ice and going back to our locker room, showering, changing and then heading out to celebrate our past two wins.

We didn’t really party too hard, because we had another home game in two days against the Wilds. While we were out at the local downtown pub, I got a text from Kane saying that he and the guys wanted to see me before they left in the morning. I said goodbye to my teammates, saying that I was going home, but headed towards the hotel that the boys were at.

I knocked on the door and it opened to reveal a happy Toews, “Maggie!”

“Boy, you take defeat well,” I teased as he hugged me and spun me around.

“She here?” Kane asked as he poked his head from around the corner.

“Naw, I sent my clone in my place,” I said and he rolled his eyes.

“Yeah, she’s here,” he chuckled as he turned the corner and I gulped as I saw him shirtless, “Were you out?”

“Yeah, we were at the pub downto-“

“Sparky’s here!” I heard and felt myself getting tackled to the ground.

“Ow!” I yelled and saw four guys on top of me, “You guys are heavy and grown men!” I watched as Sharp, Crawford, Keith and Brent Seabrook, “Sharpie, Crawfish, Dunkin’ Donuts and Seabiscuit, what’s up?”

“Look at you all right side up!” Kane said and I smirked and shook my head.

“You guys get way too excited to see me,” I smirked and the guys laughed, “So you leave tomorrow?”

“Yeah, but you’ll be in Chicago in eight days,” Brent said and I laughed and rolled my eyes.

“You’re counting the days?”

“Duh,” they said and I laughed.

I spent a few hours with the boys, we were mostly talking about our summers and they of course wanted to see how the scar looked. Then they whined because Sharp was the only one to see me over the summer and how I ‘visited’ him and not them.

“You guys are idiot,” I laughed and then stood up, “Well I’m going to head out,” I yawned, “I’ll see you in eight days.”

“We’ll be waiting to get back at you guys,” Toews said and I smirked and winked towards him.

“You can try, we’re in full kickass mode right now!” I said and the guys rolled their eyes and waved me off.

“We’ll see Ms. Kickass,” Kane said as he stood up and pulled me into a hug, thankfully putting a shirt on a while ago, “Good seeing you again, off the ice.”

“Same,” I smiled towards him and then waved bye towards the others and left.

-Kane-
Maggie left and I laid on my bed in the hotel room, I was looking up at the ceiling when I felt a pillow hit me in the face, “What the hell?” I yelled and sat up, looking towards the guys.

“Can you be any more obvious?!” Sharp teased and I looked at him confused.

“You’re totally crushing on her,” Brent said and I rolled my eyes.

“He’s right, we can totally see it,” Jon said and I looked at him.

“I’m not crushing on her,” I said and the guys laughed.

“Right and Hossa isn’t a lightweight for being thirty two,” Corey said and I scoffed, they were talking about our teammate Marian Hossa, who was totally a lightweight.

“I’m not crushing on her,” I repeated and the guys shrugged their shoulders, “She’s got a boyfriend.”

“That never stopped you before,” Jon said and I rolled my eyes.

“Doesn’t matter, I’m not crushing on her, we’re just friends,” I said and the guys chuckled.

“Keep telling yourself that,” Duncan said and I sighed, “I’m goin’ to bed.”

The guys left and Jon and I were by ourselves, “So do you want to talk about it?” Jon asked and I looked at him ask he laid in his bed.

“About what?”

“You crushing on Maggie,” he said and I groaned and looked at the ceiling.

“I’m not-“

“Dude, come on, it’s just us,” Jon said and I looked at him and then looked back at the ceiling and sighed.

“I’m in trouble,” I said and Jon chuckled.

“Yup.”

“I’m totally crushing on Maggie.”

“Yup.”

“What the hell am I going to do?” I asked and sat up to look at him, “Nothing could ever happen.”

“Remember what I told you when we were in Carolina for All Stars?” he asked and I looked at him confused, but then remembered and nodded my head, “There ya go.”

I laid back on my bed, Jon turned the light off to go to sleep, but I couldn’t fall asleep, I was just remembering Carolina.

Maggie and I were in the piano room talking about how she couldn’t wait to kick her boyfriend’s ass when it came time to playing against him in the All Star game. I made a comment to saying ‘if’ we won, when she quickly corrected me and said ‘when’ we won.

“She gorgoues, is a beast at hockey, has a voice of an angel, and can tell the future,” he said and I laughed and shrugged my shoulders.

“I’m just that skilled,” I said and he smirked and nodded his head.

“That you are,” he said and we heard a knock on the door and looked to see Toews standing there, “Hey man.”

“You ready to go?” he asked as he looked at Kane and then smirked towards me, “You comin’?”

“No-“

“Listen to this!” Kane said and Toews looked at him, “Mags here has a boyfriend, all this flirting for nothing,” he sighed and I looked towards Toews to see him frowning.

“Never know, keep up the flirting, you might just make her drift away from the boyfriend.”


I replayed his words over and over in my head, ‘…Make her drift away from Letang…’