Sequel: Chances Risked

Chances Taken

Chapter Sixty Five

-Maggie-
“Damn Maggie! You look good!” Brent said as Pat, Jon and I appeared on the top floor, the VIP area of the hottest club in Chicago. Some of the guys were already there, I smiled at the scene in front of me and felt Pat come up behind me and slip his arm around my waist.

“You want a drink?” he had to yell because the music was so loud.

“No, I planned on staying sober tonight,” I said and then laughed when he gave me a confused look, “Of course I want a drink!”

Pat chuckled and then led me over towards our own personal VIP bar. The guy finished a girl’s order and then looked over towards Pat and I and smirked at me, “What can I get you?”

“Something strong and sweet,” I said and he smirked and leaned forward.

“Sorry honey, but I’m not on the menu,” he said and I gave an awkward laugh.

‘…Seriously?…’ I thought and looked towards Pat to see he didn’t like that comment. I looked towards him and rolled my eyes, “Wow,” I said and Pat smirked and I leaned my arm on his shoulder, “Guy probably gets paid in a lot of tips and can’t come up with a decent pick up line,” I had my back to the bar as Pat leaned forward to grab my drink and hand it to me and then placed an order for a beer. I took a sip of the mixed drink and was surprised to find it really good, “Can make a damn good drink, but not a good pick up line, humph, men,” I said more to myself but Pat heard me and chuckled.

We got our drinks and then headed over towards the guys that were over in corner sitting on the couches. I was greeted by some of the other guys who were excited to see me. I felt arms around me as I sat down on the couch and I was happy that I put my drink down on the table, because it would have spilled everywhere.

“It’s so good to see you, Maggie!” I heard and laughed when I saw that it was Abby, Sharp’s wife.

“Hi Abby,” I laughed and she squeezed herself in-between Pat and me and was basically on my lap. I hugged her and the guys laughed and I saw a flash go off. She stayed with me for a little while until a song came on and she pulled me up to go and dance.

Abby and I were in the middle of the dance floor, people were around us and we were dancing and have a good time. I was laughing as Abby had one of my hands; we were holding them high in the air and dancing to the beat. At the end of the song, a new one came on and I felt arms around my waist and turned to see Pat smirking at me. I smiled and the two of us danced together as Sharp came to retrieve his fun wife.

The song had a fast beat to it and Pat and I were grinding against each other. My back was pressed against his chest, I had my head leaned back against his shoulder and an arm reached back and wrapped around his neck. His hands were on my hips moving up my sides, his face was next to mine, I could feel his breath on my shoulders, I knew he could feel it, but he was making me shiver.

I turned around so that I was facing him, his hands were back on my hips and my arms were draped over his shoulders. He smirked towards me and there was something about it, it made me blush and I saw Pat moving closer to me, I didn’t know what he was trying to do, but whatever it was, it was interrupted by Brent and Corey coming over saying that they were going to have a drinking contest and we were pulled away before we could say anything.

-Kane-
I smirked and shook my head at the sight of Maggie doing a happy dance because she had just beaten me and three other players at taking shots. She came over towards me, wrapped an arm around my neck and kissed my cheek and patted my stomach, “Told ya I could beat you.”

“All right, all right,” I laughed and shook my head, “You’re not a lightweight.”

“And don’t you forget it darling!” I laughed and then looked at my watch to see that it was just after eleven, we had plenty of time for more drinks.

Some kind of Pitbull song blasted over the speakers and Maggie squealed and I felt her being pulled away from me to see Jon hugging her, “I’m stealing you for at least one dance. Kaner can keep you after that,” he said and then winked towards me and pulled Maggie towards the dance floor.

I smirked and then sat on the couch and took the last shot that I wasn’t able to finish. I felt someone plop down next to be and I jumped a little and looked to see a smirking Abby, “So, are you two an item?” she asked, having to yell because of the music.

“No, we’re just friends,” I said and she rolled her eyes, a smirk on her face.

“I can even see the way you two act around each other,” she said and I leaned back and looked at her, having to lean forward so that she was talking into my ear.

“She just got out of a nasty relationship,” I said and Abby nodded her head, knowing all about that, “I don’t want to do anything.”

Abby smiled and playfully pushed on my shoulder, “You’ve changed, Kaner!”

I shrugged my shoulders and blushed a little, “I really like her.”

“I knew it!” she said and then hugged me and I laughed at her for being so enthusiastic about it.

-Maggie-
It was almost midnight and I was a little wasted, I wanted to leave for a second to give a call to my brother to wish him a happy birthday, because we were born on New Year’s day. We didn’t tell our teammates last year and they found out like a month later and were mad at us.

I was walking towards the balcony that went outside and I felt a hand on my arm, I turned and saw Pat he was giving me a concerned look. I smiled and waved my phone and he nodded his head and took his arm away, but I grabbed his hand and pulled him towards the balcony.

“You all right?” he asked as he closed the door and the music was muffled.

“Yeah, I just want to wish Mikey a happy birthday,” I said and Pat looked at me.

“You’re twins, right?” he asked and I nodded my head, “It’s your birthday?”

“At midnight, yes,” I said and Pat smiled and leaned against the banister.

“How come I didn’t know that?”

I shrugged my shoulders and smiled towards him, “I’ll be in once I finish this,” I said and he nodded his head and went for the door, “And Pat,” he looked back at me, “Well I’m still sober enough,” I said and then moved over towards him and kissed his cheek, “I can’t thank you enough, you helped me out a lot.”

“How many times do I have to tell you?” he asked and then moved his hand to me neck and rubbed his thumb against my cheek and for whatever reason, I leaned into his hand, “Any time,” we stared at each other for a few moments and then he looked away, “I’d better let you make that call.”

“Thanks,” I said and then smiled and watched Pat walk back into the club and I called my brother.

-Kane-
I ran into the club to find my teammates, wishing that I knew it was her birthday before now because I would have planned something. I rushed over towards them and they looked at me and asked where Maggie was.

“Making a call,” I said and looked at them and then at my watch, “It’s her birthday at midnight!” I said and they looked at me surprised, “She told me she’s making a call to wish her brother happy birthday and I remembered that she’s a twin.”

“What the hell?! Wish I knew that before!” Corey said and I nodded my head, “Now I feel bad.”

“So plan something tonight,” Abby said and I looked at her.

“Last minute birthday plans,” Sharp said and I smirked and nodded my head.

“I’ll be back,” Jon said and I looked towards him and watched him head into the crowd and towards the DJ, I smirked and knew exactly what he was doing.

“Oh, she’s gunna kill you guys,” Abby laughed and clapped her hands, “I love it!”

-Maggie-
“Love you to, Mikey,” I laughed and then hung up and headed back into the club, there were two minutes until midnight and I hurried over towards the team and felt Pat pull me into his side and we all hurried onto the dance floor to dance to the song that was almost over.

“All right guys, twenty seconds!” the DJ announced and blow horns were thrown into the crowd and I caught a saw that I had a yellow one and Pat had a purple one.

“Five, Four, Three, Two, One!” we all cheered and blew our horns, confetti was shot out of the ceiling and falling down making it look like snow.

I felt Pat’s hands cup my neck and I looked at him and felt his lips pressed against mine. I was a little surprised at first, but it was New Years and people usually got caught up in the moment when the clock struck down. I placed my hands on his shoulders and pushed myself against him and then wrapped my arms around his neck. Pat and I pulled back and I smiled and looked down to hide my blush.

I felt his face pressed against my neck, feeling the smile on his face. I could feel his lips moving to my ear, “Happy birthday,” he said and I looked at him and smiled.

“Thank you,” I blushed and felt his hands on my hips.

“And I was just told that Pittsburgh Penguins’ Maggie Marshall is in the house and it’s her birthday! Let’s give a cheer for her!” the DJ announced and I groaned out a laughed and then laid my head on Pat’s shoulder.

“No! You didn’t!” I said and Pat laughed and hugged me.

“I didn’t, Tazer did,” Pat said and then winked towards me and my eyes widened and I looked around and saw Jon by the couch laughing.

“YOU!!!” I yelled and pointed towards him, but I knew he wouldn’t hear me over the party music.

“Birthday shots!” Pat yelled and I laughed and felt him pull me back over towards the
couch where the guys smiled towards me.

“Happy Birthday!!!” they yelled and Duncan and Brent brought a whole tray of shots over.

“Oh no,” I laughed and then looked towards Jon and playfully punched him.

“Happy birthday,” he said and then hugged me.

I smiled brightly; I had Pat’s arm around my waist and Jon’s arm around my shoulders. The guys were singing happy birthday to me and I blushed and felt myself being rocked back and forth. I laughed and then took the shots with everyone and then turned to Pat and hugged him.

“Thank you.”

“Stop thanking me!” he laughed and then kissed my cheek.

I looked towards him and smiled, my arms around his neck, I was at his side and felt his arm around my waist, ‘…This guy, why’s he so good to me?...’