Sequel: Chances Risked

Chances Taken

Chapter Seven

-Maggie-
“Hi pretty girl, did you miss me? Because I missed you!” I smiled happily as I walked through my front after my second long away road trip.

It’s been three weeks since I adopted Bella and I believe I got to spend maybe one or two days with my pups. I sat on the floor and hugged Jazz and Bella, laughing as they both licked me. There was a knock on my front door and I looked up to see Kris standing there, he was laughing at the sight in front of him.

“Come on in, Tanger,” I smiled as I stood up, pushed the pups off of me and walked into the kitchen, Kris closed the screen and front door. I walked over towards the sink and washed my face of the dog slobber and looked at Kris and smiled, “Why the visit? Miss me so much, we just got back.”

“Definitely missed you,” Kris smirked and then hopped onto the counter and looked at me, “I was bored and wanted to see how your house looked after a week away from your pups.”

“Pretty clean, the lady that watches them for me does a good job,” I said and Kris smirked and nodded his head, seeing Jazz come over to him and jumped his paws onto the counter.

“Hey buddy,” Kris smiled as he pet Jazz.

“How longs our little break?” I asked as I walked over towards the schedule on the fridge and sighed.

“What?”

“We’re in Atlanta on Saturday,” I said and Kris nodded his head, “Boston in three days, Tampa two days after that, Atlanta the day after that and then we’re home for our Rangers game for Monday.”

“They like to pack the games in there,” Kris said and I laughed and nodded my head, “What’s our schedule for Thanksgiving?”

“We’re away the day before, probably come home that night, and then home games Friday and Saturday.”

“What are you doing for it?” Kris asked and I looked at him.

“I think my parents might come up,” I said and then looked at my calendar and saw that I had marked that my parents were flying in that Monday, “Yeah, my parents will be here, I’ll give them a key and they’ll probably have a dinner for when Mike and I come home. What are you doing?”

“Nothing, Mario usually has something, but-“

“Why don’t you come over? Mario’s is usually catered, come have a home cooked meal,” I said and Kris smiled towards me.

“It’s all right, your brother might not-“

“Screw, Mike, come over,” I said and Kris laughed and nodded his head.

“All right,” he said and I was giddy inside at the fact that he was going to be there.

“Come enjoy the football and food atmosphere,” I said and Kris chuckled and nodded his head, “You sure you want to do this? You have no idea what you’re getting yourself into.”

“It can’t be that bad,” he said and I laughed.

“All right,” I said and rolled my head, standing next to him and leaning onto the counter, my arm was brushing against his thigh.

“Where’s it at?”

“My place probably, I’ve got a bigger flat screen,” I said and Kris laughed.

“Oh, it come to inches then?” Kris asked and I laughed and nodded my head.

“Come on, I’ve got a seventy inch plasma, you can’t pass that up,” I said and Kris laughed and shook his head.

“Damn, that’s bigger than mine!” I shrugged my shoulders and laughed a little, “Where is it?”

“You never saw it?” I asked and Kris shook his head, “Well, come on then.”

“I thought it was in your living room,” he said and I shook my head.

“Naw, that’s only a forty inch, no the seventy is saved for special occasions,” I said and opened the door to the basement, it was furnished.

“I didn’t know that you had this,” Kris said and I smiled.

“You guys don’t really come over a lot,” I said and Kris nodded his head.

“Wow,” Kris said as he looked around my furnished basement, seeing the sectional couch, the hockey and football memorabilia all over the room, “You really like the Patriots,” he laughed.

“Yeah, grew up one,” I said and Kris smirked and walked over towards the picture of my dad holding the Stanley Cup over his head in 1970 and then 1972.

“Your dad played for the Bruins?” Kris asked and I smiled and nodded my head, “He played with Bobby Orr.”

“Oh yeah, they were good friends too, still are,” I said and Kris smirked.

“That’s so cool,” Kris said and I laughed, “He won two cups?”

“Yeah, retired in 1988, so close to winning his third cup but lost to the Oilers-“

“He played with Gretzky?”

“He played against Gretzky, and lost, but it was still awesome. My dad was forty two and won two of the goals in the six to three loss,” I said, staring at my picture of my dad with admiration.

-Kris-
“Do you know why I chose my number to be forty six?” Maggie asked me as she leaned against the back of the couch.

I shook my head, leaning against the pole in the room, “No.”

“It was the year of my dad’s birth.”

“Someone’s a daddy’s girl,” I said and Maggie smiled and looked down.

“My dad was older when he had Mike and I, my parents were in their forties,” she said and I was a little surprised, “It was hard for my mom to have twins in her forties, almost died, but she pulled through and she happy and healthy as ever.”

“That must have been tough,” I said and she nodded her head.

“When we were born, my dad was disappointed to find that he had a daughter, he only wanted sons.”

“Bet he doesn’t think that anymore,” I said and Maggie smirked and shook her head.

“I’d like to think that I made him proud,” she said and I stood up and nodded my head.

“Hell Mags, I’m proud of you,” I said and walked over towards her, “You’re an amazing player, you have to be if you had the NHL looking at you.”

“Thanks Kris,” she said and I smiled and nodded my head, “My brother and I have tried nothing but to impress our father and have fun doing it.”

“Have you?”

“Without a doubt,” she said and I noticed that I was really close to her, “Even Nick is pretty happy for us.”

“Nick?” I asked and Maggie nodded her head.

“Our baby brother,” she said and I was surprised because I didn’t even know that she had a brother, “Mom had such a problem delivering us, she just had to push herself and have one more.”

“I didn’t even know that you had a little brother,” I said and she nodded her head and then walked over towards a picture on the wall and tapped the glass. I looked at the family photo and smiled, they all looked so happy, “Looks just like you.”

“He’s eighteen now, in high school back in Texas,” she said and Kris smiled, “He’s graduating this year.”

“He play?”

“Hockey?” she asked and I nodded my head, “No, he’s the football player.”

“Wow, a little surprised,” I said and she laughed.

“Everyone was, but man can that kid run,” she said proudly, “He’s like me, we both have speed, we get that from our mom, she played track all throughout her life. Nick’s the fastest boy in Texas, plays football in the fall and track in the spring.”

“College?”

“Boston College, just like my dad,” she said and I chuckled a little.

“That’ll be cool,” I said and she nodded her head, “You guys are really close.”

“Yeah, have been since day one.”

“How old are your parents?” I asked and she looked up, seeming to be thinking.

“My dad’s sixty four and mom’s sixty three,” she said and I was surprised at how old they were, “But both are in really good health, they still jog every day.”

“I can’t wait to meet them,” I said and Maggie looked at me and smiled.

“Really?” she asked and I smirked and nodded my head, “They’ll like you.”

“Oh yeah, why?”

“You’re smart, you’re excited to meet someone’s parents,” she laughed and I laughed a little.

“Or stupid,” I said and she smiled and shook her head.

“Naw, you’re not stupid,” she said and I was only a step away from her.

I could smell the fruity perfume on her, it made me hungry to take a bite of her. I looked down at her, she looked up at me, ‘…Those beautiful blue eyes…’ I thought as I gulped.

“Kris,” she breathed as I found my hand on the side of her neck. She was looking at my lips, I took that final step closer to her and I felt her body against mine. She was looking at me, she wasn’t pushing me away.

I did it. I leaned down, it was slow, I was still waiting for her to push me away, but she didn’t. I pressed my lips against her, my hand sneaking behind her neck, my fingers getting tangle in some of her curly brown hair. I was happy when she kissed me back, when her hands were on my chest, it made me confident enough to place my other hand on her waist.

I pulled back slowly and looked at her, Maggie’s hands were still on my chest, she was looking up at me, “Sorry, I’ve wanted to do that for a while.”

She looked down and I thought that she didn’t want this, but she surprised me by looking back up and pressing her lips against mine, snaking her hands to the sides of my neck. Maggie pulled back and laid her forehead on my chest, I leaned down, my nose in her hair getting the strong scent of her peaches shampoo, she didn’t look at me as she breathed the next few words, but it still made an effect on me, “I wanted you to for a while too.”

‘…That’s all I needed to hear…’