Sequel: Chances Risked

Chances Taken

Chapter Seventy Four

“You want to say that again, pretty boy?!” I growled as I came face to face with Seguin, “Do you want me to kick your ass again?!”

“Easy there killer,” Chara said as he came in-between us and split us up, “You’re supposed to be on the same line.”

“I can’t work with her,” Seguin said and I glared at him and I went to go at him, but I felt hands on my shoulders and someone was pulling my practice jersey back.

“Calm down Mags, he’s an ass,” I heard Dennis Wideman say as I noticed that he had his hand on one of my shoulders and Phil Kessel had his hand on my other.

I growled and turned around to see that Mike was the one pulling my jersey. Tyler, Phil and I were supposed to be one forward line with Mike and Dennis as our defense, but Tyler’s dislike for me was hurting out line. I turned my head and looked at Chara talking to Seguin.

“We’re supposed to be a fuckin’ team,” I growled and the guys sighed and nodded their heads, “The damn rookies are more mature than him.”

“I hear ya,” I heard Pavel Datsyuk say from behind us. He was supposed to be the leader of the Datsyuk-Hossa-Benn line with Phaneuf-Campbell as their defense. Our line was playing against there’s in practice.

Coach blew the whistle, fed up with waiting and called two different lines onto the ice. I sighed as Geno’s line came onto the ice, Geno patted my shoulder and then I climbed over the boards and took a seat on the bench next to Mike and Phil.

After a few hours of practicing, we called it a day and headed back to the house. We were all hungry and the roads were a little risky to go out, so we raided the fridge and grabbed anything and everything. I was sitting at the table with Jimmy Howard, Dennis Wideman, Jarome Iginla, Phil Kessel, Pavel Datsyuk, Pat and Geno.

We were talking about funny stories of things that happened on our team. Dennis was telling us about how when he was just traded to the Capitals, he was doing an interview with TSN and when he was finished he was supposed to head back into the locker room, and when he tried to open the door, the door was locker, and the interview was taking place right in front of the door.

“What did you do?” I laughed and Dennis smiled and shook his head.

“I turned back to the guy and I’m like ‘Well I’m locked out, got anymore questions’,” he said and we all laughed and enjoyed his funny moment.

“That funny, but-“

“I mean, like why the hell is he thinking that she’ll actually help us?!” we heard and turned our heads towards the doorway to see Tyler walking in with Tuukka and Tuukka was rolling his eyes and shaking his head.

“You’ll never learn, Segs, she’s-“

“Hey boys,” I said, knowing that they were talking about me, but a little happy that Tuukka was trying to defend me, well at least I thought he was. The two stopped and turned towards us and Tyler tensed, “Talkin’ about something good?”

“Segs here thinks that you fight like a girl, Mags,” Tuukka said as he walked into the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of water and took a seat at the table next to Phil.

“Funny, you weren’t saying that when I kicked your ass last month,” I said and heard some of the guys snicker, “You think I’m one of those girls who fights by scratching your eyes out or pulling your hair?” I asked and he glared at me and I smirked, “How long did it take for that black eye to heal? Huh, or that bloody nose? Should we go on youtube and play the fight? I hear that people are saying it’s an embarrassing moment for ya, pretty boy.”

“You’re just talkin’ tough because you’re surrounded with bodyguards,” he said and I scoffed.

“Mags,” Geno said as he heard my chair scrap across the floor when I stood up quickly.

I held my hand out for Geno and glared at Tyler, “I don’t need these bodyguards to fight my battles for me,” I growled, “If you would like me to give you another demonstration, I’ll be glad to embarrass you again.”

“All right you two, that’s enough,” I heard and saw Chara walk in, “We’re teammates.”

“No, wait Z,” Tuukka said and I looked at him, “Let them fight.”

Some of the guys looked at him wide eyed and I smirked, ‘…I have no problem with that…’

“Maybe they’ll become better teammates if one of them proves the other right,” he said and Tyler scoffed.

“Don’t get cookie, kid,” Phil said and I looked at Chara.

“Segs, what the fuck are you doing?” Pat growled from the other side of me, “Mags, Mike’s gunna freak-“

“I don’t need my brother to fight for me either,” I snapped, not looking at him.

-Kris-
James and I were in our room just relaxing from a hard day of practice. James was on the phone with what sounded to be his brother, he walked over towards the window and looked out and then said he would have to call the person back.

“Kris,” he said and I looked at him, “Look at this,” James said and I sighed and got up and walked over towards the window, “What are they doing?”

I looked out the window and saw that Chara’s team was in the backyard and they were in a circle with two people in the middle, “Don’t know.”

“Is that Maggie?!” James asked as I was about to walk away and I turned back and looked out again, focusing on the two in the middle and saw that the one person had a female figure.

“What the hell?!” I yelled when I saw the two collide.

“They’re fighting!” James yelled and we were both running out of our room and heading out of the house, running through the kitchen where some of the players were. I don’t know if they followed us in curiosity to where we were going, but they followed.

“What the hell?!” Duncan Keith yelled and Kane turned around and didn’t look happy, “What’s going on?”

They were like us, most of them standing out in the freezing winter air with no coat, rushing out to see what was happening.

“Segs was talking shit, so Mags is putting him in his place,” Mike said next to Kane and I looked at him.

“And you’re allowing this?” I asked and Mike glared at me and ignored my question.

No one was cheering for a person, just watching, Chara looked like he was ready to cut in if it got too bad. Segs threw a punch at Maggie and she blocked it, grabbed his arm and pushed him to the snowy ground.

“She hasn’t even thrown a punch yet,” Kessel said and I watched.

Seguin stood up and threw a few punches, getting Maggie in the cheek and then missing her head by an inch.

“Go easy on him, Mags!” Mike yelled and Kane looked at him, “Poor bastard doesn’t know that Mags is a black-belt.”

‘…I didn’t know that…’ I thought and watched as I watched Maggie look like she was gliding on the snow, moving her feet as if she was on the ice.

Seguin tried to throw another punch, but she grabbed it, turned her body and kicked the back of his legs out and pushed him to the snow. He got back out and then glared at Maggie.

“Finish this Mags, I’m cold!” Mike growled and Maggie just glared at Seguin. The two of them were only in jeans and t-shirts, fighting in the snow, and it was like thirteen degrees, plus wind.

I looked over and saw that some of the rookies were recording this, probably for their own entertainment and I wouldn’t be surprised if this found its way to the web. Maggie threw a right hook at Seguin, getting him in the chin and then threw a left hook and getting him in the side of his nose. She got a couple punches to his chest and Seguin got a few jabs at her, but she caught his arm and then turned around.

Oooooooooooooh” we were all in shock, Maggie threw Seguin over her back and he landed on his back and groaned.

“All right, enough!” Chara said and I looked at Maggie, she was cut on the side of her face and her lip. I looked at the hand that she had wrapped and saw that there was blood on it, not sure if it was her blood because the cuts reopened, or Seguin’s.

Maggie just looked up, our eyes met, I just stared at her, she glared at me and then looked down at Seguin, who was still on the snow.

“Next time you think that I’m not good enough to be here Seguin, you might want to rethink it,” Maggie growled and then turned around and headed for the house.

“Fuckin’ Christ! I didn’t know Mags could do that!” James said and Mike turned towards him.

“Told ya, she’s a black-belt, we both are,” he said and I watched Maggie disappear into the house, most of her teammates following her, either to see if she’s all right or to get out of the cold, maybe both.

“Poor fuckin’ bastard,” Stamkos laughed and then our teammates headed back to our house since the fight was over, talking about how awesome Maggie was.

‘…There’s a lot of things that I still don’t know about…’ I thought and then looked towards the house, ‘…I have to make sure I have another chance to learn. I need to take that chance!...’