Christmas Wishes

Chapter Twelve

Today was our family Christmas party and I was running around like a crazy woman. I had gotten up around three in the morning to start cooking since I was put in charge of cooking for the Williamson clan at the age of sixteen. I was checking on the ham when I felt hands snake around my waist and I felt Matt kiss my neck.

“Morning babe,” I said.

“Morning love,” he said in his raspy morning voice, “What is going on?”

“Cooking for tonight,” I smiled at him, “You’re still coming tonight right?”

“Of course,” he said turning around and pushing his lips onto mine, “I wouldn’t miss it for the world.”

I just smiled into the kiss and soon I was pushed up against the counter and Matt was pulling me closer to him. I had my arms around his neck and his hands were on my waist when I heard someone giggling and we pulled apart to find Carson smiling and laughing at us and Lukas trying to act like it didn’t bother him seeing his baby sister kissing.

“What?” Matt asked laughing.

“Nothing,” Carson smirked, “Mom can I have a Christmas cookie?”

“Not until we get to the hall Carson,” I said as I kissed Matt’s cheek one more time and went to make sure everything was packed before looking at the boys.

“Okay since all of you are dressed and ready to go,” I said, “Take everything in the boxes to the cars and I’m going to go grab my outfit for tonight and then we’ll head over to the hall.

“Yes ma’am,” Matt saluted and I just rolled my eyes as Lukas and Carson just looked at each other and smirking.

“The pregnant lady and I will be down in a minute,” I said and rushed up the stairs to find Becky finishing up wrapping the presents that together we had bought everyone over the year.

“Ready to go Momma?” I asked standing in the doorway and she just laughed at my nickname I gave her since she told us she was pregnant.

“Yup,” she said pushing herself up from the chair and waddled my way, “Lukas said he’d come get these. You have an outfit ready for tonight or are you going in flour covered clothes?”

“Shut up you smart ass,” I said sticking my tongue out, “I have an outfit ready for tonight.”

“Good now let’s get out of here before your Aunt Velma calls and we’ll be ripped up one side and down the other.”

I just laughed and we headed down the stairs.

Image


We had been in the hall a total of an hour and I had no idea where Matt was. The minute we arrived to the hall that my dad rented out for the entire day, my family mobbed Matt and split us up since I had to be in the kitchen with the rest of the girls in the family. What could I say, we were a giant Italian family. My great-grandma was from Italy and ever since she came here a lot of our traditions can be found from her. One of them being the girls were in the kitchen helping prepare dinner. However it was more like me, Lennox, my cousin Hannah and Georgie, and some of the younger girls who didn’t want to be bothered with family. My grandparents had a lot of kids, seven total my dad being the oldest. I was checking on something in the oven when I saw both Brian and Matt rush into the kitchen covered in red lipstick. Lennox and I both looked at them and we all laughed in the kitchen.

“This is so not funny,” Brian mumbled, “We’re being mobbed out there and I’m pretty sure your girl cousins were looking at us like we were pieces of meat.”

It was customary that if anyone of us brought a boyfriend that the family hadn’t met yet they were passed around and most of my aunts wore lipstick and the new boy or girl was covered in lipstick by the end of it.

“Oh you poor baby,” I said chuckling at Matt’s mortified expression as he walked over to me, “You look mortified.”

“Why can’t you be like your sister?!” Brian exclaimed at Lennox who was still laughing her ass off, “At least she’s showing some sort of compassion towards her boyfriend.”

“Your family is crazy,” he chuckled, “I’m pretty sure I heard Italian being slung back and forth. I didn’t know you were Italian.”

“Hey Han can you take care of the kitchen?” I asked and she nodded her head.

“Come on,” I said, “Dinner’s almost ready and I need to change. We’ll go get you cleaned up.”

I grabbed Matt’s hand and walked out of the kitchen to find everyone talking amongst themselves and we slipped into the changing room unnoticed.

“Yeah,” I said, “My great-grandma was from Italy. Sicily to be exact.”

“Cool,” he said, “Do you speak that fluently too?”

“Of course Mr. Sanders,” I smirked and Matt just laughed as I grabbed some makeup remover out of my bag and grabbed a paper towel.

“What are you doing?” Matt asked warily.

“Getting the lipstick off your face,” I laughed, “I am so sorry I wasn’t there to protect you from the mob.”

“It’s quiet alright. I do like a lot of your guy cousins though. They seem pretty cool,” he said, “A lot of them listen to us.”

“What can I say we all listen to a bit of everything,” I said, “So how many of my girl cousins hit on you?”

“Pretty much everyone that wasn’t dating someone already,” he said and I laughed.

“So pretty much all of them,” I giggled and Matt nodded his head.

“Well tonight I’ll get to show them that I’m not even interested in them at all,” he said pulling me closer to him and I smirked.

“Oh really?” I asked as he kissed me.

“Really,” he said smirking as we parted, “Now go get that beautiful, sexy ass all dolled up for me.”

I just rolled my eyes and grabbed my bag off the floor and went to go change. When I emerged from the bathroom stall Matt just smirked at me.

“A Christmas sweater?” he asked and I just rolled my eyes.

“You’re wearing a Merry Christmas Ya Filthy Animal sweater,” I said, “I look like an angel next to you.”

Matt just laughed as we walked out of the bathroom holding hands and I noticed that my cousin, Julia, who was around my age watching us.

“Julia is going to try really hard to make me jealous tonight,” I said as we walked back towards the kitchen, “So please keep me calm. She really gets under my skin sometimes like my mom.”

“No problem babe,” Matt said kissing my temple, “And on another note we’re signed up for karaoke later according to Carson.”

“Alright,” I laughed and kissed his lips, “I have to head back into the kitchen. Go mingle and jingle.”

“Not very funny at all,” Matt chuckled and I just winked at him.

We finished cooking dinner and getting everything set up about twenty minutes later and Matt, Carson, Becky, Lukas, Lennox, Brian, and I were all sitting at a table and I was cutting Carson ham in half since we were going to share the giant slice he got when Julia sat down across from us.

“Hey Julia,” I smiled at her, “Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas guys,” she replied, “Hi I’m one of the many cousins, I’m Julia.”

“Nice to meet you,” Matt said, “I’m Matt, Macie’s boyfriend.”

“I’m Brian, Lennie’s boyfriend,” Brian said and they all shook hands.

“Macie don’t you think it’s a bit too early to start dating?” Julia asked and I saw Becky, Lennox, Brian, Matt, and Lukas all choke a bit on their dinner and I just smiled laughing lightly.

“You never are one to beat around the bush Julia,” I said as I saw Carson looking between us, “No I don’t think it’s too early. I haven’t been on a date in six months since the divorce Julia. I’ve healed enough to move on. How’s Chuck? Have you two picked a wedding date yet?”

I had noticed the minute that Julia walked in that her engagement ring wasn’t on her finger and that her fiancé, Chuck Anderson, one of Heath’s lawyer friends nowhere to be seen. I knew she was bitter about it and probably thought that we were both going to be able to bond over being heartbroken and I think it urked her that I was actually happy and she wasn’t.

“Actually Chuck and I split about a month ago,” she said, “We were at different stages in our lives. It was a mutual thing.”

“Oh god, I’m sorry to hear that,” I said frowning and actually meaning it, “If you need anything you call me okay?”

“Yeah I will,” Julia said a bit shocked that I actually meant what I said, “Maybe we can go for lunch and bash Heath and Chuck together.”

“Sounds like a date,” I laughed, “so what else is new?”

I could tell that everyone but Lennox and Becky were completely confused as to how Julia and I could be at each other throats but the minute we had depressing news we felt guilty about it and pretended like it never happened. After dinner everyone was eating cookies, pastries, and cakes galore and Matt and I was just sitting and watching all the younger kids run around and play.

“So tonight’s going smoothly,” he said as took a sip of his beer.

“Way too smoothly if you ask me,” I laughed, “Normally by this time Uncle Thomas has had a bit too much spiked egg nog and is embarrassing himself on the dance floor.”

Matt just laughed at me as we continued to enjoy each other’s company.

“So what are we doing Tuesday?” he asked.

“Well Carson is going to his dad’s tomorrow and Monday since Heath has to be in Florida on Tuesday and then we can do whatever you want. I never have Carson on Christmas Eve and we don’t celebrate Christmas with my family until Christmas Day but we can make a new tradition.”

“How about we open presents on Tuesday night then?” he asked, “I’ll cook dinner and then on Wednesday we’ll head to your dad’s and spend the day there.”

“Sounds like a plan,” I smiled and kissed his cheek.

“Alright everyone!” I heard my dad’s voice on the microphone on the stage.

Everyone quieted down and we all turned to look at him.

“Alright its time for our yearly tradition of karaoke and tonight we have a special treat for you all. Carson said that his mom and her boyfriend Matt will sing us Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas,” my dad said and I looked over at Carson who was grinning widely and all of his cousins giggling around him.

I knew he didn’t pick the song because Carson has a few songs that he isn’t too thrilled about and this is one of them but I just winked at him and he laughed at me. Matt and I walked up to the stage and we started singing the song.

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Let your heart be light
From now on all troubles
Will be out of sight
, I sang.

Have yourself a merry little Christmas
Make the yuletide gay
From now on all troubles
Will be miles away
, Matt sang.

Here we are as in olden days
Happy golden of yours
, we sang.
Faithful friends who are dear to us
Gather near to us once more
Through the years we all will be together
If the fates allow

Hang a shining star upon the highest bow
And have yourself a merry little Christmas now

Faithful friends who are dear to us
Gather near to us once more
Through the year, we all will be together, if the fates allow
Until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow
So have yourself a merry little Christmas now


When the song was over, Matt was just staring at me shocked and I smiled lightly as we put the microphones down and the next person came up.

“I didn’t know you can sing like that,” he said shocked, “in the car the other weekend. . .”

“I have a degree in music education,” I smiled, “Specifically singing.”

“You surprise me every day Mace,” he said and I just laughed and kissed his cheek.

“Wait until Christmas babe,” I winked, “Then you’ll be even more surprised.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey everyone! I am soooooo sorry for not updating for a while! My family owns their own business and for Christmas it's always super busy and I have been coming home wiped out! Hopefully I can update again tonight as a makeup for making you all wait this long!

Let me know what you all think!

Also Merry Christmas Eve everyone! I wish you all a Merry Christmas to you and your families and hope you enjoy your Christmas Eve and Day!