Status: This is my first fanfic ever. Any nice constructive criticism is appreciated :)

I Can Love You More Than This

Chapter 3

Luckily, I had brought a change of clothes with me, so I wouldn’t have to go shopping in my Subway stuff, smelling like sandwiches and whatnot. I was a little annoyed with Lane, seeing as I don’t really know these guys at all but she just kind of forced them on me. But they did seem genuinely nice, and I felt good about showing some newcomers around, because I certainly didn’t have anyone to do that for me when I first arrived here.

The guys said Liam had dropped them off, so I had to drive them over with me. Luckily it wasn’t far, I felt bad making them cram into my small Chevy Sonic. They didn’t seem to mind, though, especially Harry, who insisted on riding shotgun so he could talk to me more.

“So, love, clearly you’re not from around here yourself, judging by your American accent. Where are you from?”

“Oh, well, you guessed it, I’m American,” I laughed, “I just moved here a year ago from the lovely state of Pennsylvania.”

“What made you want to move all the way over here?” Niall asked

“Well, to be perfectly honest, I didn’t really enjoy myself that much there. I mean, I had a few friends, one of them actually moved here with me and is my roommate, but I just had to get away.” I said, not wanting to get too much into my personal problems with people I just met. “Plus, I really enjoy baking, and want to go to pastry school, and I feel like there are more opportunities for that here than there were back home.”

“Baking?!” Niall said, “Well then, you’re definitely going to be one of my best friends.”

“Ha, thanks, I could use someone as a taste tester once I get started in school.”

“You mean, you’re not in school already?” Louis finally joined the conversation.

“No, the move here was kind of sudden, and I couldn’t afford it right away. But luckily I had experience with Subway at home, and was able to get hired as a manager right away. I actually just enrolled and will be starting next fall.”

“That’s fantastic!” Harry said, “Don’t you miss your family at all, though? It must be hard being so far away from them.”

“Umm.. Yeah, I mean, it was definitely an adjustment, but it’s getting better.” I quickly said. I needed to change the subject, I didn’t feel comfortable telling them that my family is the main reason I moved so far away. At least not yet. “What about you guys? Why did you all decide to move here?”

“Well, we’re not really sure if it’s permanent, we just got relocated for work for right now.” Harry answered

“Oh, so you all work together, that’s cool! What do you do?” They all exchanged glances, almost as if they were surprised and confused at my response.

“Well, we’re actually…” Harry started to reply, but got cut off by my phone ringing. It was Zach.

“Oh, sorry, hold on, I have to get this,” I said, picking up my phone. “Hey, babe, what’s up?”
“Hey, love, I was just calling to see what you were up to?” He asked.

“Oh, I’m just on my way to go shopping, I met some new friends at work who just moved here, and decided to show them around a bit.”

“Oh, that’s nice of you! And it’s good that you’re meeting some new friends. Maybe you can find some that actually like me.” He knows how Lane and my roommate, Kelly, feel about him, and he mentions sometimes that he thinks I should find new friends. That it would be easier on us.

“Zach, stop. I’ve told you before I’m not planning on replacing Kelly and Lane just because they don’t approve of you. They’re my best friends.”

“Pshh, what kind of best friends constantly tell someone to break it off with their boyfriend who loves them just because he made a stupid mistake?” Great, here we go

“The kind who care, obviously. And if you hadn’t done it in the first place it wouldn’t even be an issue.” I was almost yelling as I started to get really frustrated.

“Ugh, whatever, maybe if you’d just get over it we could move on, but clearly you wont.”

“Well, maybe if you’d stop talking to that slut, I’d be able to move on!” I said, then noticed the line went dead; he had hung up. “Ugh!” I exclaimed, throwing my phone back in my cupholder.

“Trouble in paradise, dear?” Harry asked. Shit, I totally forgot the guys were in the car.

“Umm, no, it’s fine. Zach and I have just been a little on edge lately, it’s no big deal. We’ll get over it soon enough.” I smiled, trying to seem like I was ok.

“Well, honestly, a guy who chooses to talk to sluts doesn’t deserve a nice girl like you. But if you say it’s ok, I won’t impose on you.” Harry said.

“Thanks, I really appreciate that.” I said to Harry and I smiled.

“Doesn’t deserve someone that gorgeous and sweet at all” I thought I heard Louis mutter in the back, But I was probably just hearing things.

We got to the mall a few minutes later, and when we walked in I finally realized I was here to buy a dress, with 3 boys I hardly knew, who probably didn’t feel like shopping for girly things with me.

“Um, I actually need to go into that store, over there,” I said to them, pointing over at Forever 21. “You guys can come with, if you’d like, but I’m sure you’d rather go somewhere else.”

“Are you kidding? I love Forever 21!” Harry exclaimed, “It’s a great place to meet new women! Let’s go!” He grabbed my hand, and immediately began to drag me towards the store, followed by Louis who looked miserable, and Niall who just seemed happy for no reason.

We went in, and I immediately found what I was looking for. A black A-line style dress, with a low cut back, and a slightly low cut front. It was simple, but I hoped it’d make me look as good as I pictured. I went to the dressing room to try it on, and instantly loved it. Right as I was about to change back, Harry started yelling in to me, “You’re going to show it to us, right love?”

“Yeah, yeah, let’s see!” Niall agreed excitedly.

“Umm alright” I said, suddenly feeling self-conscious and noticing all the spots where I thought maybe it was a little tight, or it made me seem fat. I slowly opened the door and stepped out nervously.

“Ow ow!” Harry yelled, making me blush. “Darling you look gorgeous!”

“Yeah! Absolutely stunning!” Niall exclaimed, smiling brightly. Louis didn’t say anything, just stared at me, making me feel even more nervous.

“Thanks guys! I guess I have to buy it now!” I said, retreating back into the dressing room to change. After I paid for the dress, we walked around some more of the shops, and the boys stopped to look in some places. Niall got a new snapback and some wayfarer sunglasses, Louis bought a new pair of sunglasses as well, and Harry bought some new scarves and a jacket.

“Well, I think I’m done shopping for the day. Now how about we treat our wonderful date to dinner?” Harry said.

“Oh, no, you don’t have to, I’m ok” I quickly replied.

“Nonsense!” Harry said, “Besides, you still have to show us around some more, and you can finish the night by showing us where the best place to eat is in town!” Harry said.

“Ok, if you say so.” I said. I drove us to my favorite café, a little French creperie in the middle of town. “This place is definitely my favorite.” I told them.

“It looks amazing!” Niall said, rushing us all inside.

We all ordered dinner, and then Niall and I both ate dessert as well. “How can you guys eat that much?” Louis asked incredulously.

“Because it’s that good!” Niall and I said in unison, then we all laughed. After dinner, I tried to get them to split our check, but Harry wouldn't hear of it.

“No, I invited you out, it’s all on me.” He said, and stopped me from arguing any further. After the bill was paid, they tried to call Liam to pick them up.

“Oh, no, no, no.” I said, “You guys just paid for my dinner, the least I can do is drive you back to your place.” I said, this time being the one to stop them from arguing. They gave me directions, and I drove them to their house, which was huge.

“Wow, this place is incredible!” I exclaimed, “And it’s near Zach’s house, maybe you guys will run into him sometime.”

“Yeah, and maybe we can give him a proper talking to about how to treat a lady.” Harry replied. I just gave him a look, and then he said, “Ok, or we could let it go, but if he gives you any more trouble I’m not holding back.”

“Ok, I guess that’s fair.” I laughed, “Well, goodnight guys, maybe I’ll see you tomorrow for lunch, yeah?” They nodded happily and said goodnight before I drove away back to my house. I don’t know why I was so nervous before, these guys are great, and now I have some new friends.
♠ ♠ ♠
I feel like this is a bit of an improvement. Hope you guys enjoy it!