Status: This is my first fanfic ever. Any nice constructive criticism is appreciated :)

I Can Love You More Than This

Chapter 4

After a long week of work, Saturday had finally arrived. It had gone by pretty fast, actually. The boys stopped in every day for lunch, and I got to meet their other friend, Zayn. They were all very nice, and we were becoming fast friends. I also noticed that they seemed to talk Louis up to me whenever they could, even though I could tell he didn’t like it. I didn’t understand why, though, everyone knows I have Zach and love him, but oh well. I was really excited for tonight, because I hadn’t seen Zach all week, and it was finally the night of our date he had planned. I texted him to say good morning, and then got up and went out to get breakfast.

“Good morning!” I said to my roommate and best friend, Kelly.

“Wow, you’re awfully cheery, considering it’s before noon.” She replied.

“Shut up!” I glared at her, “I’m allowed to be happy if I wanna be!”

“Ok, ok!” She laughed, “Tonight’s you’re night with Zach, right?”

“Yep!” I smiled, “I’m so excited, he hasn’t told me what we’re doing yet, so I’m dying to find out!”

“Haha, well, I’m going out with my work friends tonight and I don’t think I’ll be coming home, so you’ll have the flat to yourself if you want to invite him over.” She said, giving me a wink at the end. I smiled and thanked her. I knew she didn’t approve of him, but it was nice to know that she was still supportive of my decision to stay.

After a couple hours of tidying up and lazing around the flat, I decided I should probably get ready. I showered and fixed my hair, pulling it up into a neat bun, and then put on some simple eye shadow and mascara, and then some red lipstick. After I finished getting ready, I checked my phone to see if Zach had ever texted me. I saw that he had, and excitedly opened it.

“Hey, babe, I’m really sorry but I think I have to cancel for tonight. I’m feeling really sick and I think I have a fever. I’m sorry!” He said. My heart fell; I had been really excited to see him. I sent him back a text telling him it was alright and I hope he feels better, then went out to the living room to find Kelly.

“Ugh, he couldn’t have even called to tell you? Just sent you a text at the last minute?” She said, annoyed after what I told her.

“Well, I’m sure if he’s sick his throat is probably sore. And if he has a fever he may have been sleeping and forgot.” I made up excuses, like I usually had to do for his behavior.

“Well, maybe you can still see him. If he’s sick, I’m sure he could go for some soup and tea. Why don’t you take some over to him?”

“That’s a great idea! I don’t know how I didn’t think of it!”

“Yeah, me neither.” She laughed, “Oh, but leave that dress on. His punishment for bailing on you should be getting to see what he’s missing.”

I followed her advice and didn’t change, and immediately left to go get soup and tea. I arrived at his flat, and noticed his car was the only one there, signaling that his roommates were out. I opted to just walk in the door instead of ringing the bell like I usually did, because if he was home alone I didn’t want him to have to get up to answer. Walking into the living room, I was about to call his name when I immediately dropped the treats I brought him.

There, on his couch, was Zach, and lying underneath him, his ex-girlfriend Meghan.

“Zach.. What the hell?”

He turned around, finally noticing me. “Sarah! What’re you doing here, I’m uhhh.. I’m sick!” He said quickly while covering himself up to try to hide the fact that he was naked.
“Yeah, ok, you look very fucking sick to me, Zach.” I said. I turned around to leave, I didn’t want him to see me cry. He grabbed my arm and turned me to face him.

“Sarah, I’m so sorry, this wasn’t supposed to happen. You were just getting so jealous and it was pushing me away.”

“Are you kidding?” I exclaimed, “I never had a reason to be jealous before you started screwing around with her. Even if it was only on the phone, it still fucking hurt and you knew it. But you wouldn’t stop! If anything, you were pushing me away! And now you’ve gone and pulled this shit and I’m done!” I pulled away from him only for him to grab me again.

“Sarah” he growled angrily, “Don’t do this. Don’t end all of this over some stupid mistake.”

“The only stupid mistake here was me trusting you.” I said before I ran out the door. I knew he’d come after me, but I had some time before he got himself dressed again. I didn’t even think about going to my car, I just ran.

*Louis’ point of view*

I decided to venture out for a walk. It was Saturday night, and all the guys had plans, but me. I had been invited along of course, but I just wasn’t feeling up for going out and drinking. I had a lot on my mind.

“I wonder how Sarah’s doing” I thought to myself. Tonight was her date with Zach, and I knew she was excited. I didn’t see why, though. I never met the guy, but from all I’ve heard, from her conversation with him that day on the phone, to Lane’s comments whenever Sarah wasn’t listening, he just didn’t seem right for her. I hadn’t known her that long, but she was already the sweetest person I knew. Anyone could tell she was the type of person who cares about everyone, even if she doesn’t know them too well. The guys could tell I was already starting to develop feelings for her, and even seemed to be trying to help me out. I told them not to bother, though. It was clear she wasn’t going to be leaving Zach anytime soon.

“We just want to see you happy,” Liam had said, “We know how much your breakup with Eleanor brought you down, and we think that this girl could help make you happy again.” I knew that’s all that they wanted. But trying to set me up with a girl who’s taken really isn’t helping me at all.

I drifted out of my thoughts as I heard someone crying. I looked up to see that there was a girl a little up the way from me, sitting on the curb with her hands in her face. I quickened my pace to see if she needed help, and I realized who it was.

“Sarah?” I said

“Louis?” She looked up and saw me. She quickly got up, and brushed herself off, and wiped her eyes to make it look like she wasn’t crying. “Wh-what are you doing here?”

“What’s wrong, why are you crying?” I ignored her question, needing to know what was wrong.

“Oh, I just.. I… Zach…” Was all she got out before she broke down crying again. I quick grabbed her and pulled her into a hug.

“Shhh.. It’s ok, you don’t have to tell me” I said, “Let’s just get you home. Do you have your car?”

“Mhmm… It’s that way.” She said, pointing in the direction I had been walking. I started heading in that direction, my arm around her to keep her steady as we walked. After a block or so, we got to her car. I noticed she was looking around nervously, as if she expected someone to come out and attack us, but no one did. I asked for her keys and she got them from her purse. I helped her into her passenger seat, and then got into the driver’s side. I didn’t bother asking where she lived, instead I grabbed her GPS and selected “Home.” I followed the directions and soon we were outside her building. I walked her in, and followed her lead to her flat.

“Do you want me to stay with you, or would you rather be alone?” I asked as we walked inside.

“You can go” she said, “I don’t want to make you miss out on your Saturday night plans.”

“Ahh, but you see, my plans included finding a sad girl on the street and doing whatever I could to make her happy, so by making me leave you’d actually be ruining my plans.” I joked. She smiled a little at that, which made me happy.

“Ok, you can stay then. I think I’m going to get changed though.” She said, looking sadly down at her new dress.

“Ok, I’ll sit out here and wait.” I said. About 10 minutes later, Sarah came out in a pair of sweats and a t-shirt, with all her makeup removed and her hair back down. She looked even more gorgeous than before, if that was possible.

“I was thinking we could watch movies, if you want” I said, “They always make me feel better if I’m upset.”

“Ok” She said, “I have Netflix so we can pick something from there. I also have a pair of Zach’s sweatpants you could borrow, if you want to be more comfortable.” She cringed when she said his name, but she didn’t cry again.

“No, I’m ok, thanks. I could go for a drink, though, maybe some tea?” I said, thinking maybe a cup would also make her feel better.

“Oh, well, I actually don’t have any tea…” She said, “But I might have some hot chocolate?”

“What?! How can you live here, in the UK, but not have any tea?” I feigned being offended, and she giggled.

“You know I grew up in the states, we’re not big tea drinkers over there. I’m more of a coffee person myself.”

“Well then, we’re going to have to work on that.” I said

She laughed again, and then said “Well, I’ll make us some hot chocolate in the meantime, why don’t you pick a movie?” She went into the kitchen, and I scrolled through Netflix. I finally picked one and started it just as Sarah walked back in.

“The Emperor’s New Groove? Really?” she asked.

“Yes! You’re clearly sad so I thought a nice happy movie should help change that! Do you not like this movie?” I said. She smiled a little as she sat down next to me.

“No, I love it, it’s just, Zach never watched anything like this with me; he thought they were stupid.” She sighed. I wanted to ask her what happened, but I didn’t want to pry to much. I think she could read my mind, though. “He cheated on me.” She blurted out. “He told me he was sick, and canceled our date, and when I decided to bring him soup and make him better I found him with his ex.” Tears started to well up in her eyes and I quickly hugged her.

“He’s so stupid, you deserve better.” I said as I rubbed her back.

“No, I’m stupid!” She said, pushing me away in the process. “I should’ve known this would happen the second I realized he still talked to her. But I lied to myself and said he was different from all the others, and I let it happen again.” She started crying, and I hugged her again, this time opting not to say anything. I was so angry. This asshole cheats on her, and I can tell she’s blaming herself. And this obviously isn’t the first time this has happened to her, judging by what she’s said. I decided the best thing to do for now was to just distract her.

“C’mon, lets watch the movie” I said. She nodded, and I pressed play, and kept my arm around her the whole time it was on.