Status: Done.

Running from the Rain

Be there.

Charlee woke up the next morning to her phone going off. She groaned as she finally opened her eyes and looked around only to find that it sat on John's nightstand. He heard it as well but didn't bother to move just tightened his hold on her. He was too tired to do anything else.

"Hello?" Charlee spoke still half asleep as she glanced at the clock to realize it was almost noon. She couldn't believe she had slept so late.

John was almost back to sleep when she answered, only to be reawakened by her loud choice of words.

"Ok, I'm on the way!" She stated before hanging up and pulling herself from the bed. He immediately sat up as he watched her quickly get dressed.

"Charlee, what happened?"

"I've just got to go." She replied, panic now in her voice and he quickly got up from the bed.

He grabbed her arms pulling her to a halt and he spoke, "Talk to me."

"Carrie is in the hospital again. I've got to go." She spoke trying to keep herself together.

"Relax. I'll go with you." He finally said and she shook her head no, "No, it's ok. You don't have to do that."

"Nonsense. You clearly can't drive like that and you can tell me what you've been hiding from me." He said coolly as he slipped on his boots. Her signaling that it wasn't Carrie's first hospital trip made his suspicion rise.

A sigh escaped her lips and he slid his hand in hers before pulling her from the house.

Charlee climbed into his truck nervously and John glanced over at her as he started the car. Before he could even begin to ask questions she started to speak.

"We moved here because there is a doctor here that we heard was amazing and Carrie, well she has cancer so we did what we had to do." She whispered staring out the window, not believing she was telling him this. It wasn't that she didn't trust him it's just that the more people she told the more realistic it became.

"Why didn't you tell me, Charlee?"

She shrugged as she continued to stare aimlessly at the passing buildings.

John couldn't help but feel a bit let down that she held this from him. Sure, Carrie was her family but he thought they were close enough.

"I just didn't want to bring you into that mess, John." She whispered and his hurt seemed to immediately pass.

"You have your own problems, you don't need mine as well."

He sighed as he parked at the hospital. He never was fond of the place that was for sure.

The pair climbed from the car and be quickly got her attention by grabbing her hand before she could walk too far from him.

"Charlee, maybe you find this hard to believe but I want to be here for you. That includes all your problems. You've been there for mine, why can't I be there for yours?" He asked seriously. Her eyes met his and for once she seemed vulnerable to him and that alone made him wrap her in his arms.

"Everything is going to be fine." He whispered as he stroked her hair.

"I don't know anymore." She mumbled into his shirt and he continued, "I do. Carrie's a strong girl. She'll make it through this."

Charlee looked up at him and he kissed her forehead, "Come on let's get inside and see what's going on."

Charlee simply nodded as he linked their hands and led the way. They finally reached the floor the girl was on and Charlee spotted her mother in the waiting room. She quickly rushed over with John in tow and her mom stood immediately.

"Is she ok? What happened? Where is she?"

"Calm down sweetie. The doctor is in there with her. She just had a coughing fit and she couldn't breathe and so we rushed here. She's ok now."

Charlee nodded feeling a bit relieved now.

"She's not getting any better is she?" Carly asked from her seat and Charlee looked over to her sister.

"Don't say that. Yes she is." She said seriously and John placed his hand on her shoulder.

"Oh so this is proof that she is?!"

"Shut up Carly! What do you know?!"

"Cool it, Char." John whispered and Charlee crossed her arms over her chest.

"Nice to see you again, John." Her mother spoke softly and he grinned weakly, "You too Mrs. Keaton."

"And you told him?! Well that's great! Now everyone in the whole town is going to know and try to be all sympathetic towards us!"

"Because it's all about you!"

"You two stop." Their mother said seriously.

"I'm going to see if the doctor is done." Charlee spat out before spinning on her heels and heading to Carrie's room.

"Cool it down, sweetheart." John said as he followed her down the hall.

"She just pisses me off."

"I noticed."

She sighed as she slowed down in order for him to catch up to her.

"Do we need to do some breathing exercises before you go in?" He teased and a grin hit her lips even if she wasn't in the mood, "No."

He chuckled, and grabbed up her hand, "Then turn the bitch eyes off."

She glared at him and he laughed before knocking on the room door and opening it.

"Well, well. What do I owe this visit to?" Carrie asked from the bed and John chuckled as he pulled Charlee inside.

"This girl I assume." He stated taking a seat near the bed.

"Are you ok?" Charlee asked seriously and Carrie waved her off, "Yeah I'm fine. Mom just over reacts. Should I ask you if you are ok?"

Charlee shook her head and sat down with a sigh.

"Yeah you probably should." John spoke and Charlee shot him a look, "What? It's true!"

Carrie laughed from her bed, "I see that."

"Shut up" Charlee grumbled.

"Did she not get enough sleep or something?"

"She slept until noon and in fact she went to bed before midnight." John stated and Charlee glared at him, "Keep it up."

"And that happened after she fell asleep in my truck." He continued with a smirk as he propped his feet up on the bed.

Carrie laughed, "Oh was that before or after the date?"

Charlee immediately groaned and covered her face.

"After our fake date."

"Fake date?"

"Charlee was helping me out. She's sweet sometimes."

"And on that note I'm going to go get some coffee." She grumbled leaving the room.

Carries eyes met John's and he chuckled, "My love life has been complicated so she pretended to be my girlfriend for a while to help me out."

"So there is a girl?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

He grinned as he relaxed in his seat, "Just Charlee."

"And do you like Charlee?"

"In what way?" He asked smoothly, he wasn't one to get frazzled easily.

"You know what way I'm referring to."

John looked towards the window the sun still shining in.

"Maybe..."

"Maybe huh?"

He looked at her and she smiled, "I think you do. I think she likes you as well."

John shook her head, "We're just friends."

"Isn't that how it always starts out?"

John shrugged as he clasped his hands together.

"What are you so scared of?"

"You don't know what I've been through. Love never did anything for me besides mess me up." He grumbled.

"Maybe you love the wrong people."

"Oh and Charlee's the right person?" He asked with a weak grin.

"Besides my bias part in that, yeah I believe so. You two just click. Seeing you together just seems natural. You two act like you've known each other forever. It's odd really. Doesn't hurt that she talks about you constantly. Don't tell her I said that or I'll be forced to never tell you things again."

John didn't bother to respond just took in her words. He didn't know if he was ready to be on that level with Charlee. Maybe one day he would be, just not now.

Charlee walked back in and Carrie spoke, "Aren't you so sweet?" She asked as Charlee handed her and John coffee as well.

"I try."

Carrie chuckled, "Gonna be nicer?"

"No, she still hasn't eaten."

"Why are you being mean to me? I can just go sit out there with Carly if I wanted that."

John pouted as he reached for her free hand and moved his feet from the bed.

"I'm kiddin', jeez." He chuckled pulling her into his lap.

Carrie gave him a knowing grin before sipping on her coffee.

"Are you going to be like this all day?" He mumbled relaxing his chin on her shoulder.

"Dunno."

Carrie chuckled, "Well I'm fine so why don't you let John take you home."

"I don't want to leave you."

"Charlee, I'm fine. I am leaving in less than an hour." She replied with a smile.

"You always say that you know?"

"And I'm always right."

Charlee rolled her eyes and relaxed against John not in the mood to fight anymore.

"I'll take you to get some breakfast." John spoke softly as his fingers continued to rub into her side.

"What do you say?" He added and she shrugged.

"Then you can take a nap and then you'll have no excuse to be mean the rest of the day."

Carrie laughed and Charlee grumbled something John couldn't understand and moved from his lap.

"Is that an ok?" He questioned and she threw her hands up, "Not like I have a choice."

"I am offering you a choice, darlin'." He spoke smoothly which made her roll her eyes, "Can you please call me when you get home at least?" She asked her sister who nodded immediately, "Of course."

The group said goodbye and they went to find her mother before leaving. She wasn't going to dare say anything to Carly but she figured she at least needed to tell her mother where she was going.

"Now can we bring back sweet, yet always sassy, Charlee?" John asked as they walked out of the hospital.

"It just stresses me out. I just..." She began only to cut herself off with a shake of her head.

"Hey..." John spoke, reaching for her hand as they reached his truck.

Charlee breathed in trying to get herself together, "It's just so hard and I know it's even worse on her, but I just feel so bad because there's nothing I can do and it's like, I get to live my life and I feel so bad about it." She stated as she rubbed the back of her hand against her cheek in order to hide the tears.

"Like when I'm happy I feel horrible because I know what she's going through." She added and John grabbed her and pulled her in, "Charlee listen to me, Carrie is going to be ok, and she would definitely not want you to be miserable because of her."

"I know, it's just hard. It's getting harder and I just...I don't know." She got out with a sigh giving up on hiding her tears.

John stroked her cheek gently as he stared at the sad girl. He didn't know she had this in her. She always seemed so put together. If anything it hurt him to see her like this.

"I'm sorry about this." She whispered and he shook his head, "Don't be."

"I mean, this is pretty serious crap I've just thrown on you in a day."

John grinned, "Yeah, well I threw all my problems on you like the first day we met so we will call it even."

She chuckled softly and he spoke, "I'll be here for you, Charlee. If that's one thing I've oddly gotten better at this past year it's being there for people."

She didn't respond, just hugged him to her which he didn't object to.

"I'm glad I met you." She whispered into his shirt.

"Back at you."

The pair stood there beside his car for several minutes before John decided it was best to get in.

"Why don't you let me take you for some breakfast." He stated as they got in the truck.

"Ok."

He reached over giving her hand a squeeze. He could be there for her. He had some how turned very dependable and understanding through his whole ordeal and he oddly enough wanted to just be there for Charlee. He was pretty certain she would do the same for him anyways. So if anything he owed her and he was going to follow through.
♠ ♠ ♠
Guys, if there are any mistakes I apologize. I'm exhausted but I wanted to update before I crash!

Thanks for commenting and subscribing. That's what keeps me updating!

:)