Hearts of Deception

Serena

The world stopped as time stood still. Everything in the world felt like an iron weight, crushing her shoulders as she sat there open-mouthed not saying a word. Jason stood near the door, still panting out of breath. She had no idea where he had been or why he was so exhausted. Ever since he left Avalar and moved back into their two-bedroom apartment, Jason has not been himself. Serena had thought it was because he still had feelings for her or maybe he felt guilty about how things between them had ended.

Slowly coming back into reality, Serena finally tore her eyes from Jason’s and looked away. She was still processing what he said so deep in thought that she wasn’t aware of his close proximity. Jason sat down beside her, his panting finally subsiding as he placed a hand on her knee. She turned back to him finding his glaze quickly as her own narrowed in a serious matter.

“What did you say?”

Jason licked his lips and took a deep breath before repeating his request. “I want you to marry me, Serena.”

“Does this have anything to do with Avalar?”

Jason blinked as confusion started to become visible in his features. He shook his head and took her hand into his not breaking their eye contact. “Avalar has nothing to do with this. Moreover, if she does, it’s only because she made me realize you’re the one I wanted the whole time and thought I couldn’t have. I don’t regret having a kid with her, but I do regret letting her take our son away. Nevertheless, you’re the one I want to have a family with, the one I want to call my wife and the mother of my children.”

Serena stared into his eyes for a few seconds more before looking away and taking her hand out of his hold. A million thoughts were running through her mind as she started to rerun the situation in her head. Jason had moved out because he thought he couldn’t have her. Shacked up with another woman and impregnated her all to make her jealous. She was sure of it. Why else would Jason try to continue to get a hold of her after moving In with Avalar? Serena remembers the day after he moved out he came back to the apartment to pack his stuff as he started to gloat about being with someone and how great she was.

Jason thought his gloating had the desired effect on her as he witnessed her stunned expression to his admission. But unbeknownst to him, Serena shamelessly ended up in bed with Don and was still bedding him. If she was going to be honest with herself, part of sleeping with Don was to get back at Jason and show him she didn’t care what he did and that she could be with anyone too. That nothing was wrong with her just because she drove him insane with her type A ways. In addition, maybe another part of her did it because she cared about Don. He had been there when Jason was with Avalar and even now, he was still around. Serena didn’t want to admit it at first but being with Don had changed her feelings for Jason. She cared about him and wanted to date him, but marriage? With a man like him? She couldn’t picture it. However, could she picture it with Don?

“Serena, I know I messed up and hurt you. I know there isn’t any excuse for it. There isn’t an apology big enough to express how sorry I am for hurting you. I really do care about you though and I want us to move on from this. I can see us being happy together. It is possible.”

Serena turned back to the pleading man and gave him a small smile. She took hold of his hand and nodded to him. “Okay. Let’s get married.”