Dreams Only Last for the Night.

Daddy's girl.

"Hello?" My dad's voice came on the other end. "Dad! We are pulling into the hotel now. As soon as we get the trailer off we are heading over that way." I said excitedly into the phone. "Ok April Girl, see you soon." I closed the phone and beamed a smile over at Alex. "You really are excited to see your dad huh?" He asked. "Yeah! I never get to see him since he lives here in Nashville." I climbed into his lap and pulled his face to mine. "And I get to introduce you to him." I whispered before kissing him. "Mmm. I wish you wouldn't have fallen asleep last night." Alex smirked resting his head against mine. I rolled my eyes. "I told you I was sorry and that you should have woke me up!" Alex just shook his head. "You looked too peaceful. It's ok, we'll get our time soon enough." He leaned in to kiss me but I stopped him with an uneasy look. "What?" He asked with a confused look. "Well I was going to stay with my dad, and." I paused to look up at Alex. "I'm not sure if he's comfortable with his baby girl sleeping in the same bed as some guy he just met." Alex grinned his crooked grin and pecked me on the lips. "It's fine." We got off the bus and I ran over to hug Papa Zane, who had just arrived a few minutes before we did. "Whoa, April getting off the fancy tour bus." He said and laughed. "I missed you Papa." I smiled then followed his gaze towards Alex. Alex grabbed the hand I held out towards him. "This is Alex. Alex this is Zane, but we call him Papa Zane. He always looks out for us and is always there when we need him." They shook hands. "So why do they call you Papa?" "Well, like April said, I'm always trying to look out for the group and make sure everyone is doing good. One night Ryan got drunk and was saying how much like a father I was to everyone... he said he was going to call me Papa Zane from then on and it just stuck I guess." Zane chuckled. "Well its nice to meet you Papa. Glad you are here." Alex patted Zane on his back. "Nice to meet you too Alex. Treat her right ok?" He said smiling from Alex to me.

"Hey I got a surprise for you." Alex whispered into my ear. I turned from watching the guys unhook the trailer to look into Alex's eyes. "Look over there." He pointed as a 1966 candy apple red Mustang pulled up to us. I turned wide eyed and speechless. "Don't get too excited sweetie...it's just a rental, while we are here visiting your dad. I know this is your dream car and so we don't have to cramp in the van with everyone...and so we can leave now." I wrapped my arms around his neck and squeezed tightly. "April, can't breathe!" He laughed. "Here's the address," I said jumping in the van and programing the GPS. "See you guys there." I ran over to the Mustang and took the keys from the salesman. Alex took time to shake his hand as I admired the inside from the driver's seat. Alex climbed in beside me with a wide grin. "Shall we my dear?" He asked. "We shall." I said and stomped on the gas, letting the engine roar to life and jerking us forward. I squealed with excitement as Alex let out a yell. We pulled up to my dad's house and I almost forgot to turn off the car before getting out.

"Come on, come on!" I said excitedly to Alex who was, in my opinion, taking too long. "Calm down babe, I gotta make sure I look good. I mean I am meeting your father." I smiled and walked over to him and looked him over. I ran my fingers through the back of his hair, messing it up more than it already was. "Perfect." He leaned down and kissed me. I broke the kiss when I heard the door open. "DAD!" I ran up and hugged him. "Oh Aubey I missed you!" He said squeezing me tighter. I pulled away from him as Alex stood quietly behind me with his hands deep in his pockets. "Dad, this is Alex." "Hello sir, I haven't heard about anything but you for about the last 14 hour drive from Indianapolis." They both laughed. "Well I hope it was all good things." "Nothing but sir." Alex said stepping back and putting an arm around my shoulder. My dad shifted his weight and looked at us awkwardly, not use to seeing his daughter with a guy. "Is this your car?" Dad asked Alex. "No sir. Just a rental. I knew it was April's dream car and I figured she didn't want to wait for the others." My dad smiled as he walked around the Mustang. "You'll have to let me drive it before you guys return it." "Yest sir." "You can call me Doug. The 'sir' business makes me feel old." My dad laughed. "Yes sir... I mean... ok." Just then the rest of the guys pulled up in the van. "Hey Doug!" Ryan said jumping out of the passenger side of the van. He shook my dad's hand as did the rest of the NST guys. I introduced him to Papa Zane and the other guys of All Time Low. "All of you fit in that?" My dad said with a laugh. "Well sir, it wasn't easy." Rian said scratching his head. "Yeah, clowns gotta travel in a clown car right?" Jack added with a smirk. Everyone laughed and I said, "Well let's go to dinner."

We decided to go to Red Lobster. I caught dad up on the tour and everything that's been happening. "So this Zacky character....he anywhere near? I would love to pay him a visit." My dad asked. "You and the rest of us." Alex said and a few of the guys who overheard nodded in agreement. I smiled at Alex and then over all of my friends as Alex held my hand under the table. We were walking out of the restaurant when my dad grabbed my hand signaling he wanted me to hang back. "So you and this Alex guy... It looks serious." I smiled to myself and watched Alex and Jack jump on each other. "I think it is. I really care about him." "So you are a couple?" Dad's question brought me out of my Alex induced trance. I looked at him and blinked a few times. "I-i-i" I stuttered. "I'm not sure, he hasn't asked....yet." Dad shook his head with a smile, not noticing my upset look right away. "You ok? Did I ask something wrong?" He asked putting a hand on my shoulder. I shook my head as we reached the car and Alex caught sight of the look on my face as well. I ducked into the back seat before I could be asked anymore questions.

When we got back to my dad's house, he and Ryan broke out a couple of guitars and started a mini jam session. Dad started singing the song he wrote for me when I was born. I mouthed the words and looked up at Alex at one point who was smiling at me. "You are my rockabye baby, my little rockabye girl." My dad finished the song and I walked over and gave him a hug then went out to the back porch. After a moment I heard the door open and Alex stepped out. "You ok? He asked sitting beside me. I just stared out into the big back yard. "I love this back yard. It looks like it goes on for miles, the trees make great hiding spots." I stood and looked back over my shoulder, silently telling Alex to follow. We walked to this specific set of trees that had a wood plank in between them forming a bench. "Did your dad make this?" Alex asked as we sat down. "No, it was here when he moved in." I laced my fingers through his and rested my head on his shoulder. "What's up?" Alex asked after a moment. I sighed and shook my head hoping he wouldn't press the matter any further. He pulled away from me and looked me in the eyes. "April don't lie to me, you've been upset since the restaurant." I looked down then back up to him. "My dad asked if we were a couple." "And?" Alex asked after I took too long to answer. I closed my eyes to fight the tears that were stinging them. "I had to answer him with the same answer I use to give with Zacky." Alex pulled me to him and whispered, "April, you are the only girl for me. I want you to be my girlfriend." I kissed him with such force I knocked the both of us off the bench.

The next day I woke up and walked into the kitchen where my dad was making breakfast. "Any of the guys up yet?" He asked. I stuck my head in the living room where Ryan, Papa Zane, Alex, and Jack all slept. I shook my head and laughed. "I can't believe they opted for a living room floor then a comfy hotel room bed." Dad put a plate of eggs on the table and smiled, "What can I say, they wanted to hang out with your old man. Jack even said I rocked." I hugged him and said, "You do." I made myself a plate and then asked, "What do you think of Alex?" Dad smiled sideways at me. "So you are a couple." I returned the smile and said, "As of last night, he finally asked." Dad nodded his approval. Jack walked in rubbing his eyes. "FOOD!" He yelled waking all the others. The boys headed to the venue, leaving Dad and I to get ready for the show. "I've never been back stage at a concert before." He said tying his shoe. "It's pretty awesome." I smiled.

We arrived at the venue and walked up to the back door. "April Summers, plus one." I said to the bouncer. He checked the list then nodded. I giggled as we walked inside. "I've never had to do that, I'm always with the guys when they get here." I found Papa in the hall way. "Hey Papa where are the guys?" "They are in kind of a meeting with All Time Low. Turns out the local band that was supposed to open for them couldn't make it so now they are deciding what to do." I hugged him and looked back at my Dad. "What?" He asked nervously. I knocked on the door Papa had motioned to. Alex answered. "I can't talk right now Ap-" "I know who your opening act can be." I moved out of the way to reveal my father who was looking at us with shock. "Yes!" Alex said and turned to the rest of the crew who agreed. After the show we threw a mini after party, since we had to leave for Texas that night. It was time to leave and everyone told my dad goodbye, leaving Alex and I to be last. "It was really nice to meet you sir." Alex said shaking his hand. "You too. Thank you for everything, but mostly for making my baby girl happy." Dad smiled then looked at me. Tears had started to slide down my cheeks as they often did when I had to tell my dad bye. "Thank you so much Aubey for making my dreams come true. I love you and I can't wait to see you again." I hugged him until Alex tapped me on the shoulder and whispered, "We gotta go." I took in a deep breath and told Dad I loved him and climbed onto the bus. I went straight to Alex's bunk and climbed in. He followed right behind me and wrapped me up in his arms. "It's going to be alright hon. Just think, tomorrow you'll be home." I smiled at the fact and turned and nestled into chest as he kissed my forehead and we fell asleep.