So Long and Good Night

Rion and Lilly

GERARD'S P.O.V

I slipped my hand down, locking our fingers together before I started swinging our arms back and forth as we walked down the dimly lit street leading down to Third Street.

Frankie was carrying a basket full of food and I was on the phone with Rion.

"Well when will she be off?"

"In about twenty minutes or so..."

"Okay cool. When Lilly gets home just come on out. Oh and bring some cheap wine, he forgot it." I smiled.

"Will do Mr. Sober." Rion chuckled before hanging up. I kept smiling as I slipped my phone into my back pocket. We round the corner that lead to the path.

"So are you going to tell the girls, or should I?" Frank asked, looking up to me.

"How about we tell them together?" I grinned, leaning down and planting a little peck to my husband's lips.

"Sounds good to me." he chuckled, looking back to the playground.

My smile only grew from there as we walked closer and closer to the place that I knew so well and had grown to love.

"Where do you wanna put this?" Frankie asked, looking around.

"Over there!" I yelped, pointing over to a little patch of green grass near the swings.

Frank nodded and we walked over. I took a large black blanket out of the basket and laid it out across the ground while he place plastic plates around along with forks and knives and wine glasses.

I then got out the salad and pepperoni pizza that we ordered from Pizza Hut before we got down here.

"So, to kill some time, whatcha wanna do?" Frankie asked, walking over and sitting right in front of me.

"Let's just talk. We never seem to do that anymore." I smiled, sitting down and crossing my legs under me.

"Sounds good to me."

"Alright. So I have a question that I've been thinking about for some time now."

"Shoot."

"What are you going to do when I die?"

"What do you mean?"

"Like, when I'm gone, are you gonna get married again? Are you gonna become a lonely cat guy? Are you gonna adopt Scarrlett? What?"

"Well....I never really thought about it...But now that I do, I can't imagine my life without you. I want you to stay here with me. And then when you're not here, I don't know." Frankie sighed, I could see that he was fighting the tears.

"Well, I just don't want you to dwell on me. I have cancer and there's nothing that can be done about that. So when I'm gone, I want you to move on with your life. I want you to have the life you wanted, with your or our little girl. I just want you to be happy even if I'm not here with you." I replied, taking my husband's hands in mine and looking him in the eyes.

"Gee, honey. You're the only thing that is keeping me happy. I don't know what I'd do without you.." I watched the tears rolling down his face.

"Just...just try for me baby. Just try to keep yourself happy and well and healthy and everything else when I'm gone. Okay?" I whispered, feeling my own tears welling up behind my eyes. All he could do was nod before I pulled him into me, hugging him closer than I ever have. I rubbed my hand up and down his back and kissed his hair as he silently cried into my chest.

We stayed like this for what seemed like hours, not talking, not moving, Frank slowly settling down. That's when we were both startled by someone clearing their throat.

I looked up to see Rion and Lilly standing in front of us, holding hands, which I was proud of.

"Are we interrupting something?" Lilly asked, shifting her weight from on foot to the other.

"No....no, not at all." I smiled, wiping the underside of my eyes as Frank stood up, myself to follow.

"Is everything alright?" Rion asked, looking very worried as Frankie wiped his cheeks with the back of his hands.

"Yeah, everything's fine, kid." I smiled, wrapping and arm around Frank's shoulders and placing my lips to him temple one last time. "So, who's hungry?" I asked, gesturing towards the blanket.

***

"Wait....why do you both have rings on...." Lilly asked, taking a sip of her wine.

"Well, that's one thing we wanted to tell you two." I smiled, looking over to Frank and taking his hand.

"That's right...Gerard and I....we're ...we're.." my husband trailed off, unable to contain his smile anymore.

"We're married." I finished, leaning in and planting a kiss to his smiling lips.

"Oh my God! Really?" Rion yelped.

"Yep. We are legally husbands by the state of Nevada." I chuckled. That's when Rion and Lilly rose, wanting to hug us, which they did.

"Well congratulations guys. We're so happy for you." Rion smiled, hugging the both of us one last time.

"Well thank you. It really means a lot." I replied before looking back to Frankie.

'Welp, it's getting late and girlie and I both have work tomorrow. So we'd better get going. Thanks for dinner guys." Lilly smiled, as they both started inching away.

"Oh no problem girls. We'll see ya later." I smiled and Frankie and I started to clean up.