The Black Swan

011

I woke up with heck of a mental hangover. I couldn’t believe I was treating Brian the way I was treating him. Which was like an utter piece of shit. Judging by everyone else, he was a nice guy, but something yelled for me to keep away. A guy like him couldn’t be good for me and it was truth that I would most likely date a janitor than a superstar. It was easier with mere mortals, although not always.

I wondered how is it to be them. What’s it like? Don’t they have any moral standards? You have money, you have fame, but does that make you happy?

I turned around and glanced at the electronic watch on my nightstand. It whispered to me it was too early to get up, but I didn’t feel sleepy at all. If only I could’ve gotten up this early when I was in high school. Would’ve made my life a lot easier. Yeah... No.

I went downstairs to fix myself something to throw into my yelling belly. My mom always made fun of me for eating breakfast half asleep. As far as I could remember myself, she was always worried for me falling asleep in my cereal bowl. It hadn’t happened yet though.

My fingers tightened the crimson robe that I was wearing as I moved towards the metallic refrigerator and took some milk for my coffee. I didn’t feel like eating froot loops today. They were just too... fruity for this morning. I had to get ready for my big apologize speech and people darn well knew I didn’t do apology. Froot loops would just get me distracted.

I sat at the light blue island and turned on the small tv that was hiding between the fridge and coffee maker. Dora The Explorer was on. I hated that show. With a strong passion, it seemed like she never listened to me when I answered. I could as well yell throughout the whole house and get everyone up, but she still wouldn’t listen to me. I wonder why it was so silent. Where was mom and dad? This house scared me to be completely honest. It was just... too big.

The front door opened. Yay, mom’s home! I hope she brought ice cream. I leaned back to see who it was. And it wasn’t mom for my disappointment. Roy came in with a huge grin on his face.

„I see old habits die hard,” He chuckled, throwing his keys and wallet on the marble surface next to my mug.

„To be completely honest? I hate that kid.” He fixed himself a big cup of black coffee. No milk, no cream, no sugar. That’s the way Roy liked it.

„Who doesn’t?” He leaned against the counter, holding a mug of Winnie the Pooh. It made him look funny. „She’s even more annoying than you. I doubted it was even possible, but look at her...”

„Ha-ha,” I faked a laugh as I put my arms on the island and rested my chin on them. „You’re an ass, you knew that?”

He shrugged his shoulders as he sipped from his mug. „Been called worse.”

„Why are you even here... In the morning? Don’t you have a mayor hangover?” I asked and he gave me the look. The look was when he raised one of his eyebrows and squinted his eyes slightly, almost if trying to spot some mental illness in your soul. „Sorry, forgot, you don’t have those. That’s why you’re an even bigger ass.”

„What can I say... more of me to love.” Roy laughed. „But what’s up with you?”

„What... Oppose to my winning charm every other day?”

„I’ve heard that somewhere before.” Yeah, it was a quote of Step Up. A darn good movie if I may add. Movies like that makes me want to think everyone can dance if they really want it. Well, I wanted a couple years ago. And we’ll leave it with that. „You’re not this cranky if you don’t have hangover and we both know you left very early yesterday.”

„It’s the concert...” I replied fixing my gaze on Dora.

„What about it?” Roy crossed his arms over his black shirt. The top bottoms as usualy were undone. I strongly believed hell would freeze over if he would cover his chest piece with any kind of cloth.

„You’re making me go...” I retorted.

„Oh come on... It’s not like you’re going to die there, besides I got you a backstage pass, so there’s no need for you to be in the crowd,” Gee, thanks, brother. Even closer to Brian.

„By the way why are you here?” I watched as my coffee slowly cooled.

„Honestly? I came to see you.”

„Me?”

„Yeah, I’ve got something to discuss.”

„With me?” I lifted my head a little, going fully wide eyed on him. What on earth was there to discuss with me? He nodded.

„I’m planning on broadening.” He said simply.

„And?”

„And I’m thinking going California this time. Huntington Beach to be more precise.” He shook his tattooed arm to make the silver Rolex fall in the right place.

„You’re shitting me. ”

„I most definitely am not.”

„That’s a big jump.” I imagined the map of the states in my head and if I was right than Huntington was at the other side of the country. To think about it, I ran a long way from home.

„I know,” He replied.

„Roy, I don’t think I understand what you are saying.” I looked at him. He took a mouthful of coffee, „Why Huntington?”

„I just think it’s the right time and place to pay old dues.” He shrugged his shoulders.

„To whom?”

„To you,” He inhaled deeply taking a few steps towards me and taking his place on the high stool.

„You don’t owe me anything,”

„Oh, but I do.” He gave me a warm smile, „I was the one who screwed you over and not Nikki, nor Andrew or whomever you may enumerate.”

„Jesus, bro, don’t start. I’m long over it.” No, I wasn’t, but I didn’t like when my brother was like this. It didn’t suit him to beg or apologize for anything.

„Anyway, I’m wanting to hire you.”

„I have a job, you know.”

„Listen, I’m making an offer of a lifetime right now...”

„Your letting me get wasted and being payed for it?” My eyebrows went up as I smiled widely.

„You have some odd notion for a lifetime offer.”

„If that’s not what you’re offering, I don’t understand what are you offering...”

„I’m wanting to make you a manager.”

„A manager?” He just didn’t stop to surprise me. I nearly choked on my coffee. I mean I understood if he wanted to hire me as a bartender, but a manager was a fully different level. It was a lot of responsibility if something went wrong.

„Yeah... It’s obvious I can’t leave Miami and I need someone I can trust and I think I can trust you.”

„Why don’t you make Nikki do it? It seems like she handles Vagabond good enough.” Roy smiled.

„I’ve also made an offer to her...” He wasn’t serious. Why the hell was he telling me this? Seeing how mad I was getting in just seconds, he added, „I told her if you fuck up, the place is hers.”

„What?! You’re giving her a club?” No, this person was not my brother, no relative would make my life this miserable. Even the ones who hated me.

„Are you even listening to me, Ally?” He frowned, „This is your chance to make things right. I’ll give you a start capital, you can name the place, you can furnish it, you can make it yours, but after the opening it is fully up to you. You just have to say ‘yes’ and if everything goes smoothly, after a year I’ll make it yours.”

„Roy, I’m a bartender. I know nothing about opening a club!” My voice turned out a little louder than I wished for.

„I’ll deal with the paperwork, my guys are already picking out the space for it, so you just have to make it likable. Make it for coke noses, make it for joint faces, for metal die-hards, I don’t care, just make it work.”

„When is the opening time?” This was as good as agreeing for Roy, and I damn well knew it. I rubbed my temple, trying to calm down.

„In a month...”

„Are you fucking joking?” I jerked my head to look at him. He didn’t look insane, but boy did it feel like it. „I can’t open a club in a month! I’m still sitting in Miami for Christ sake.”

„If you really want you can even make pigs fly.” Yeah, that was true. I remembered when I was smaller I tried teaching our guinea pig to fly... off a roof. For a couple of seconds it really flew.

„I can’t find a staff in a month!”

„I’ve already got two bartenders and two dj’s for you.” He winked. „Nikki, Andrew, Will and Jenna.”

„What?” I was completely dumbfounded, „How?”

„Let’s just say I can offer some things that interests them... a lot.” I didn’t understand anything anymore. What was he saying? Where was this going exactly? „I’m giving you a chance that you weren’t given six years ago, Ally. Show them who you really are, make me proud, sis.”

„What makes you think they won’t dich the very moment they find out I’m in the lead?”

„They won’t, trust me. So are you in?”

This seemed like Vagabond all over again. I couldn’t believe I was even considering this to be an option. And if I screw it over, the place I made to be will go in the hands of a woman I really despise. I knew if Jenna would be here she would yell in high pitched voice- Are you even considering this? Roy’s giving you a bar and you’re considering if to take it or not? Idiot is a too mild word for you. Well, at least Jenna will be with me. Oh what the heck, I could always return to 25 degrees, but could I live with the thought that Nikki had won again?

„Fine, I’m in.” I saw that devilish grin forming on his lips and then he squeezed me. If that was his idea of a hug, then he was a deeply disturbed person.

„Now to talk about that apology to Brian...” Oh god, just kill me.
♠ ♠ ♠
So Roy's giving Ally an option to either take revenge or live happily ever after, will she make the right decision or will it be too tempting to ruin Nikki's life?

And what's with Brian? Can Ally get over herself and apologize? I guess we'll see.