Status: Updates are as frequent as possible.

American Soldier

Getting Settled

While I set the arrangements for our dad's funeral services, I came to the reality that I would never be able to pay for any of it. The funeral home directors were very understanding and since we'll be shipped off to an orphanage after the services, the funeral home agreed to take our full furnished home as payment for the funeral and burial services. Not only were we packing to leave the home, we had to endure going to school every day but thankfully the services are set for the weekend that way we wouldn't be missing anything in school. Several of our classmates and the members of the staff gave their condolences to us for the loss of our only living parent. I didn't want their sympathy since they hardly even spoke or defended either one of us but I wasn't going to be bitter.

It's the night before the funeral and burial services and when we leave the house for good. I finished packing up everything of mine and I grabbed a few things I wanted to keep of mom's and dad's. I sat my bags at my bedroom door so I could get them as I left in the morning. I left my room and went over to Payge's room. I knocked lightly before walking in. Payge was sitting in the floor clutching to the picture of mom and dad on their wedding day. Mom was pregnant with Payge in that photo but you couldn't tell it. I got down on the floor and sat beside my young sister.

"I wish we didn't have to go to the orphanage tomorrow."

"I know sis. I don't want to go either but we don't have a choice." I said and Payge laid her head down on my shoulder. I looked over at the clock and it was almost 11.

"Go ahead and get some sleep. I have a few more things to do before I go to bed." I said and Payge nodded. We stood up and I moved her bags from her bed and tucked her in. I know she's 13 years old but I'll do anything to comfort her in any emotional situation.

"Goodnight."

"Night Payge. I'll come wake you up in the morning." I said before leaving her room. I shut the door behind me and went downstairs to the kitchen. I cleaned up the area a little bit and took out the trash before locking up the house and going back up to my room. I laid down in bed and covered up in my blanket. I'll need to start looking for a job a few days after arriving at the orphanage that way I can support Payge. Soon my eyes closed from exhaustion and I fell into a deep sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/b

My alarm blared loudly disturbing the peaceful sleep I was in but I had to get up. The services are set to begin at noon and it was already 8:30. I'm going to let Payge sleep one more hour. I got out of bed and grabbed a pair of nice jeans and a button up flannel shirt. I went into the bathroom and got into the shower once the water had warmed up. The hot water soothed the aching muscles and washed away all the stress. When i finished washing up, I got out and dried before putting on my clothes. I took my dirty clothes and packed them away along with my shampoo, conditioner, and body wash.

I brushed my hair out so it would dry faster and I finished getting ready. The time flew by and I went to wake up Payge. I usually have to wake her up five minutes in advance because it takes her so long to get up. I entered into her room and she looked so at peace and I hated to wake her.

"Payge? Payge, honey it's time to get up." I said as I shook her. She opened her eyes and I smiled.

"What time is it?"

"It's almost 9:30. We have to be at the funeral home before 11." I said grabbing some of her clothes off the dresser. I sat them down in her lap as she sat up in bed.

"When you're finished getting ready, bring your bags down and I'll put them in the car." I said and she nodded sadly. I gave her a comforting expression and it seemed to help her a little. I left her room and went back to mine to get my bags. I grabbed my suitcase and back pack from inside and went downstairs and right outside to my car. I popped the trunk and put my suitcase inside and threw my back pack in the back seat.

When I got back into the house Payge was dressed and carrying her bags down. I took them from her and put her suitcase in the trunk before shutting it and placing her back pack in the backseat with mine. I knew she was going to miss living here and honestly I was too. We've created so many memories here and it's hard to just walk away from it all.

"Come on Payge. We need to get going." I said and she followed me from the house. As she got into the car, I took one last look inside before locking the front door. I got into the driver's seat and cranked the engine before pulling away. Payge watched as I drove away from the house until it faded in the distance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The services were beautiful and when it was over I gave the main director the keys to the house. Officer Sylvers approached us after the man walked away.

"I'll escort you all to the orphanage now." I nodded and we headed back to my car. I looked back as the casket was lowered into the earth and I sighed where no one could hear.

I followed the police car away from the cemetery. We drove for a little while before pulling through the gate that secured the large fenced in building. There were children playing in the yard and they looked happy but looks can be very deceiving. I parked in a space next to the police car and we got out. I grabbed the back packs from the backseat as Officer Sylvers got our suitcases from the trunk and we followed him into the building.

“Good afternoon Officer Sylvers! How are you doing today?” An older woman greeted him with a smile.

“I’m doing alright. I’m dropping off Blaze and Payge Rossi.”

“Oh yes I’ve been expecting them. I’ll get them settled in.” she said still smiling.

“Have a good day Clare. I’ll be back by here in a couple of days once the file on them is completed.”

“I’ll see you then and don’t get yourself into any trouble now you hear.” She warning motherly like tone. He chuckled and waved goodbye before leaving us with the woman.

“Let me show you to your room.”

“Thank you. Oh I was wondering if you would know of any jobs around here that are hiring.” I said as we took the elevator to the sixth floor.

“There are dozens of places that need workers and they all provide really good pay.”

“Thanks for the information.” I said politely as we stepped off the elevator and went down the hall.

“It’s not a problem. Here’s your room.” She opened the door to a decent size room. It had two beds that were separated by a night table. A dresser and desk sat on one side of the room. We also had a walk in closet and a bathroom attached to the room for extra privacy.

“Now we have some rules you must go by in order to have a peaceful stay here. We do not allow fighting, drinking, smoking, drug usage, and there’s a curfew at midnight but we make exceptions to that rule if your job doesn’t end until after midnight then we’ll provide you with a keycard so you can get back in. If you get hired for a job I’ll need a copy of your schedule. It’s perfectly fine if it’s in written form instead of typed out. As for schooling, we do offer homeschooling here from Kindergarten to eighth grade and then all four years of High School but it’s completely your choice as to whether or not you want to do that. We serve three meals a day. Breakfast is at 6 am, lunch is at noon, and dinner is served at 7 down in the cafeteria. Do either of you have any questions?” I looked over at Payge and she shook her head no.

“No questions. I think we’re pretty much set.” I said as I looked around the room.

“Alright tomorrow I’ll give you the grand tour of the place and if you have anything you want to ask, my office is the fifth door on the left as soon as you step off the elevator on the first floor. Until tomorrow…Welcome to the Second Chance Children’s Home.” She left our room and I began unpacking my belongings. I think this place is worth giving a try.
♠ ♠ ♠
2 chapters in one day! Remember the more you readers comment, the more frequent my updates will be