Sequel: Beyond
Status: Complete. Sequel is up now.

Avidity

Confrontation

"Goddamn it, stop!"

His footsteps pounding on the pavement behind her. He was fast. The streets were full of people, but none of them looked concerned at the woman sprinting down the sidewalk, with a man shouting angrily after her.

She turned and glared at him. "I told you, we're done talking."

"No," he said, as he got close to her. "Please let me explain."

She backed away, her green eyes wide. "I have to go."

He gripped her arm lightly. "Just wait, Eden. Wait."

"Let me go, Daniel."

His blue eyes darkened.

Eden pulled from him and stumbled back into someone. She looked up to see the man from the bar. He was staring at Daniel with a hard gaze, his lips curling.

"Are you all right?" he asked.

"I'll be fine," she answered.

"Good." His eyes fell on Daniel. "Now get the hell out of here, or I'll make you sorry you ever touched her."

Daniel made a move toward Eden again, and the man pushed him back.

"I warned you," he hissed.

After he was gone, Eden shook her head. "Thank you, but I was handling it."

"I'm sure you were," the man replied smugly. "And it looks like so many people were willing to help you with your confrontation."

"Sorry if I ruined your night."

He shrugged. "My night ended after my last drink. I was just heading home when you ran into me." He looked down the now empty street. "Who was he?"

"Daniel," she replied, frowning.

"Is he your boyfriend?"

"Was." She looked into his gray eyes as they walked down the sidewalk. "He's changed a lot since we've been together."

He grinned briefly. "I'm sorry, I've forgotten my manners. I'm John."

"Eden."

"Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve," he murmured. "Well, it was a pleasure, but I've got to head home. I have an early morning."

Eden nodded. "It was nice to meet you."

"Be careful on your way," John said softly as he started in the opposite direction. "You never know who you may run into."