Sequel: Flying High
Status: Finished! I hope everyone enjoys this story! Look for the sequel STARTING OVER

You Never Know

15. Canes Game

15. 'Canes game

We all had just finishes with our pregame warm up and were back in the locker room doing last minute check. Dan came in and the quiet chatter that had been going on died out. "All right everyone lets go out and have a good game. Watch their defense those guys are very fast, OK boys. We're going with 8, 11, 21, 58, 87, and Flowers in goal. Lets go!" 

I grab my helmet and find my place in line right in front of Sid. He and Geno do their hand shake and Sid taps my helmet as Flower barrels down the line hitting some of the guys and doing his own hand shakes with others. I can see Max is second in line behind Flower. The music starts as the lights dim, and we all hit the ice. 

The guys that aren't starting go to the bench as the rest of us take our positions. The puck drops and Sid wins the face off. It flies to Kris who passes it to me and I take off up the ice. I get checked from behind and lose the puck. "Gonna have to do better than that Princess," I look and see Eric Staal skating the other way with a smirk on his face.

I take off after him as Pascal goes to cut him off. He stops along the boards and doesn't see me until the last moment. I check him, full force into the boards and he goes down.

"What's wrong? Did Princess knock you down?" I say in his ear.
"Fuck you."
"I'll pass but thanks anyway." 

"Awe why not? that's how you got here in the first place. Screwed your way to the top."

I react before I fully process what I'm doing. I drop my gloves, "lets go!" And start swinging. He drops his and does the same but can't connect the first one. I connect my first two, one across the creek the second with his nose. The refs skate over and separate us before he can swing again. They send me to the box and he has to go get cleaned, and stitched up. 

My team is cheering and hitting the boards with their sticks. I see Jordan had a huge smile plastered on his face. Sidney brings my gloves, stick and helmet to the box,

"great job Nic. Now everyone knows your serious about being here. They won't bother with that type of article anymore."

"That's why I dropped them Sid."

The ref closes the door before he can respond, but I can see the surprise on his face, that quickly turns to anger. He skates over to the rest of the team and I can tell their all pissed now, especially Max and Jordan. 

I serve my two minutes without the 'Kane's scoring. I jump out of the box just as the puck comes my way. I grab the puck and race up the ice. I fake the high shelf shot and go low blocker. 'GOAL!' It's the first of the night and my line mates gather around to congratulate me. I skate down the line, bumping fist with everyone before taking a seat. The last thirty seconds trickle down and when the horn sounds we all go back to the locker room. 

Our trainer comes over and checks my hands to make sure everything is alright. Except for a couple of minor scratches I get the all clear. I feel a hand on my shoulder and look up seeing Jordan,

"I'm gonna get that prick for saying that to you."

I'm taken aback but tell him, "don't worry about it Gronk. I already took care of it. Besides he's your brother."

"Exactly. Mom raised him better than that, Nic."

"Do what you want. But like I said, I've dealt with it so you really don't have too." 

"Count me in on that," Max says as he sits next to me.

"No, Max," I say back

"Don't argue with me on this, Nic. It's personal now."

"And that's why I said no. Your not going to be thinking clearly out there."

"Listen to her Max," Duper said, "no one should go after him; Nic did a great job and I doubt he'll go after her again."

"Fine, but if he or anyone else does, their mine," Max looks at me, "no arguments."

"Fine. Do what you want," I say as coach comes back in. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
The second period goes by without a problem. We keep the 'Cane's from scoring again as we enter the third period. 
I'm back out with Sidney and the first line. Sid wins the drop and passes it to Duper. He takes off up ice with me trailing. Duper drops the puck back just as 25 checks him. I snatch the puck and race across the blue paint. Eric tries to defend me but I fight him off and pass it to Kris. He sends it to Sid who's right by the net. He shoots.....GOAL! 

We're now leading 2-0 with only five minutes left. I trade off with Max and take a break as the time ticks down. Geno gets a penalty with two minutes left. After the puck drops again I hear Dan yell my number to trade off with Paulie. I hop over the boards and fly back down the ice. Just as I cross the blue line I see the Cane's goalie skate to the bench. 

It's six on four since Geno is in the box. I'm lined up with Eric as the time goes down. He shoots and I block it; taking the shot right in my ribs. I hit the ground as the horn goes off.

My team celebrates but all I can do is feel the pain from the puck. We skate off the ice and I make it through coaches speech and changing just fine.

"Hurry up Nic," Duper calls over his shoulder as he leaves the room. I go to take a step and my knees buckle. I hit the ground with a thud and grab my side, the pain is off the charts. 

"Nic!" I hear one of the guys yell. 

"Get Doc!" I hear another, I believe it's Sidney, call out. 
"What's wrong, Nic?" Max asks, clearly worried as he tries to pick me up. 

"Agh! My side," I gasp out and he quickly puts me down but still cradles my head in his lap. 

"Alright guys move aside," Doc calls out as he enters the room.

Dan, Mario, Pascal, and the others that had already made their way outside filed in behind him.

"Where does it hurt, sweetheart?"

"My ribs." He touches my side gently and I jump which causes me to gasp again.

"Doc?" Dan asks from behind him. He shakes his head and lifts my shirt up enough to see my side. I hear a collective intake as my side is revealed. Max says something in French that I assume isn't nice because Pascal gives him a very dad-ish look. 

"Lets get her to x-ray and see what's going on," Doc says to an assistant who takes off out the door.

"Doc?" I ask quietly.

He looks at me and says, "you possibly cracked a rib on that blocked shot. I need to get you to the hospital and Xrayed to make sure and to know that no further damage was done."

"The ambulance is here sir," the assistant comes back leading the EMT's. They put me on the stretcher and roll me out. 
♠ ♠ ♠
Again sort for the wait! Let me know what you think