Green Eternity: With You

Take a chance.

Jeph’s POV

After countless attempts to open the door with Scarlett waiting patiently behind me, we made it down the back steps, down past the overgrown vegetable patch and right down to the little creek running through the back of the property.
I sat down on the soft grass and patted the spot in front of me, placing the cups of tea in front of us both.
Scarlett gave me a reassuring smile and joined me, sculling the tea and putting the cup aside.
Following suit I drained the cup too, noticing her eyes drilling into me I choked and spluttered then put the cup aside.
I was just putting a few smart things to say together in my head when the back door swung open, emitting a loud bang that echoed out over the valley. Light flooded over the back lawn as a silhouette stumbled out.
The silhouette reached into its pocket, pulled something up to its face and ignited. Puffs of smoke billowing out of its mouth.
It made its way over to Scarlett and I, as it got closer I realised it was Quinn.
“Jeph, man you look lonely, ohhh” Quinn stopped and stared.
“Quinn, this is Scarlett, my new friend” I grinned and winked at her, she looked at me expressionless and forced a smile.
Quinn waved and sat down, pulling out his lighter and fiddling with the twigs and leafs on the ground, fire.
After a few minutes the fire was crackling along fine and many other people had joined us, among them Akearin and a girl who looked a bit confused.
I was feeling pretty good; I was sitting next to Scarlett who was sitting next to Freya (the girl Akearin brought along) who was sitting next to Quinn, a very happy Quinn.
Scarlett seemed to be cheering up a lot, she was talking with Freya like they were old friends, I did manage to fit a few words in however.
Five minutes to midnight rolled in and everyone was setting their resolutions, Scarlett remained silent and grinned at me nervously.
Quinn and Akearin who were most likely the most intoxicated out of all of us stood up and requested that we all dance into the New Year.
Freya and Scarlett stood up rosy cheeked from laughing and waited to be picked.
I decided that this was my moment – five minutes to midnight, no time to loose.
“Scarlett?” I paused and waited for her to turn around.
She turned around and faced me, smiling slightly.
“Yes, Jeph?” did she want to dance?
“Would you like to dance into the New Year with me?” I looked down at my feet and blushed a little.
“I would love to” she took my outstretched hand as I twirled her around.
We danced and chatted, the more I got to know her in those few minutes the more I liked her. She was so rhythmic and fragile, I didn’t mind if we danced forever.
Before we knew it everyone was chanting;
“5!”
I looked at Scarlett who was still holding onto my hand, waiting to be twirled back in, her green eyes flickered in the fire’s light, was this right?
“4!”
I looked up and was surprised to see Quinn and Freya looking dreamily into each other’s eyes, Quinn looked surprisingly happy.
“3!”
I looked back at Scarlett, what does she want me to do?
“2!”
I twirled her back in, pulling her in close, I could see every little speck on her seemingly perfect face, her big green eyes looking straight into mine, biting her lip ever so slightly.
“1!”
Now or never I thought as I pulled her as close as I could, both our lips touching at once.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please do tell me what you think
xxx