‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Sixteen

“Wait what?” I giggled as the girl stood in front of me, she worked for PensTV.

“Is it all right if we have a mic on you for this game?” she asked and held up the little device that she wanted to attach to my jersey.

“Uh sure, does that mean I have to watch my mouth on the ice?” I asked and she smirked.

“We’ll just bleep you out before airing it,” she said and I snorted and heard Mike laugh from next to me.

“Then that’s all you’re probably gunna get,” I laughed and she giggled and slipped the mic on my jersey and then made sure that it stayed on.

Two days had passed and we were not getting ready for our afternoon game against the Devils. As soon as she finished, Coach came in and told us to head out onto the ice. We had practice yesterday morning and he worked Kris and I to the bone, upset on what had happened in the parking garage. I wanted to tell Coach that this wasn’t fair because I didn’t do anything wrong, it was all Kris’ fault, but I didn’t want to argue and have to get more drills. I did have a little bruise on my face that I was covering up with makeup, it stung a little, but it was nothing I’ve never felt before.

We skated onto the ice and I shot pucks towards the empty net and skated around for a little bit and then leaned against the glass with Jordan, Max and Sidney.

“So you’ve got the mic on?” Sidney asked and I nodded my head and looked down towards it.

“We’re goin’ up against the Devils, it shouldn’t be too bad,” Jordan said and I nodded my head and then smirked when I heard a song playing on the speakers and laughed when Paul Martin came over and started bopping his head to the music.

“It’s going down, I’m going timber, you better move, you better dance, let’s make a night, you won’t remember, I’ll be the one, you won’t forget,” I grabbed Sidney’s hands and tried to get him to dance on the ice, I laughed when his face was turning bright red, “Swing your partner, round and round, end of the night, it’s going down, one more shot, another round, end of the night, it’s going down,” at that point, Jordan linked his arm with mine and we started to spin, laughing the whole time.

Max was trying to get Sidney to throw his arms around and Geno ended up coming over and helping, Sidney ended up skating away, laughing and shaking his head. At the end of warm ups, we all left and headed back to the locker room, some of us still laughing.

While we were in the locker room, some of the guys were teasing Jordan and I about dancing on the ice. I just laughed and shook it off, but Jordan came over and wrapped his arm around my neck, “Say what ya want, but I’ve got my dancing partner here!” he said and kissed my cheek and I laughed and patted his chest.

“Anytime, darlin’,” I said and then went back to getting my sticks ready for the game.

After we finished in the locker room, we headed back onto the ice and did one final lap before the starting line; Max, Jordan, Mike, Paul Martin and I were the starting lineup with Marc in the net. I saw a carpet being rolled out onto the ice and looked over towards Jordan confused, he just shrugged his shoulders and rolled my eyes and then smirked when I saw Dan Potash, the one report on PenTV that we seemed to always loved to mess with.

“Oh boy,” Mike smirked and I giggled.

Dan called me over and I smirked towards Jordan and Max and skated over next to him, “Hello Maggie.”

“What’s up, Danny boy?!” I smiled and I saw the camera guy getting set up, “Go some questions?”

“Always,” he chuckled and then started to ask me questions about what I thought about the Devils and how the game was going to go, how we think we’re going to play in the playoffs since they would start in a month and then asked how I thought we were going to play tonight, “So Maggie, we all saw before that you and Staalsy like to bust a move out on the ice,” he said and I laughed and nodded my head.

“Well, it’s before a game, ya gotta get that last bit of silliness out before all the seriousness comes, so yeah, I like to bust a move,” I said and he chuckled and nodded his head and then I felt Jordan come up beside me, “And Staalsy was just my dancing partner.”

“So Jordan, can you tell us something about Maggie that we don’t already know,” Dan asked and I laughed and shook my head.

Weeeeeell,” he started and I laughed and felt Max come up on the other side of me, “Tablo, name something that they don’t know about Mags.”

Max laughed and I put my head down and shook my head, “There’s nothing to tell,” I laughed and Max and Jordan scoffed.

“Oh! She’s got a set of pipes on her!” Max said and Jordan laughed.

“Yes!”

“That could be interpreted in more ways than one guys,” Dan said and I blushed and covered Max’s mouth when he was about to say something.

“You shut up,” I pointed towards Jordan and he laughed.

The ref blew the whistle saying that he wanted to get the national anthem started so that we could get the game started, “Well that’s all the time we have, but don’t you worry Maggie, I’ll be back to hear those pipes,’ he said and I laughed and shook my head.

“All right, Danny,” I said and then skated away.

By the end of the game, the final score was five to two, Penguins; nothing really exciting happened other than getting into a pushing match with Ryan Carter after he had elbowed James in the face and then went to go after Marc when he was covering the puck. I was going to fight him, but the refs got in there and pulled us both apart and I went over towards James to make sure he was all right, happy that he was.

I was in the locker room getting my gear off when I heard the guys start to laugh and looked up and smirked, “Cabbie!” I called and he smirked over towards me, “Long time no see!”

“Maggie! My girl!” he smiled as he walked over towards me and plopped down next to me, his camera man following him, “How are the twins doing?” he asked as he wrapped an arm around Mike and I.

“We’re doing pretty good,” Mike said and I smirked.

“I hear you’re going to be a Papa,” he said and Mike chuckled and nodded his head, “Good for you, happy for ya man!” Cabbie said and then looked towards me, “How’s the Maganator doing?”

“The Maganator? Honestly Cabs, that’s the best you could come up with?” I teased and he chuckled and shrugged his shoulders.

“You’re like the terminator on the ice, you’re like pow pow! All up in Carter’s face, like WHAT SON!” I was laughing and shaking my head, “And then gettin’ your groove on during warm ups, like girl!”

“Ugh, I’m never gunna live that down,” I laughed and shook my head.

“So I heard something,” Cabbie said and I looked at him.

“You hear a lot of things, be more specific,” I said and he chuckled.

“My man Staal over there, announced that you’ve got a set of pipes on you,” he said and I groaned and shook my head and then grabbed my hockey tape and threw it over to where Jordan was sitting, not paying attention, “Uh oh, I got him in trouble!”

“Mags!”

“You’ve got a big mouth, Staalsy!” I laughed and he smirked and came over towards me and wrapped his arms around my neck.

“Aw look at that! We got a bunch of teammates showing love here- OH!!!” Cabbie yelled and I gasped and saw white foam dripping from my head and onto my face and I looked up and saw that Jordan had gotten pied in the face by Cooke and had gotten some of the hit too, “How’s that taste, Staalsy?”

“Pretty terrible actually,” Jordan said and I giggled as I got the shaving cream off of my head flicking it to the ground and then screamed when Jordan started to wipe his face all over me.

“I’m gunna kill you!”

“Yikes! Battle of the Penguins people!” Cabbie yelled and the laughed. Just about everyone laughing at this point, and when I went to throw a punch at Jordan he ran away. Cabbie was chuckling as I leaned back into my stall and grabbed my towel and started to wipe the cream off.

“Come on Mags, just give them a song,” Mike said and I snorted.

“You give ‘em a song, you sing too,” I said and Cabbie laughed and looked at Mike.

“You’ve got a set of pipes too?” he asked and Mike blushed and shook his head.

“Yes you do! Don’t lie!” Marc yelled from across the room and Mike glared at him and I laughed, “Come on Mags, you haven’t given us something in a while anyways.”

“Yeah, come on Mags!” Max said and I sighed and rolled my eyes.

“See! Come on Maggie!” Cabbie said and I sighed and then groaned and shook my head.

“Fine, fine! Ugh, god! Let me thing,” I said and Cabbie laughed.

“Why not ‘We are Young’, you love that song,” Mike said and I looked at him and nodded my head.

“Give me a second I, I need to get my story straight, my friends are in the bathroom getting higher than Empire State, my love he’s waiting for me just across the bar, my seat’s been taken by some sunglasses asking ‘bout a scar, and I know I gave it to you months ago, I know you’re trying to forget , but between the drinks and subtle things, the holes in my apologies, you know, I’m trying hard to take it back, so if by the time the bar closes, and you feel like falling down, I’ll carry you home, Tonight…” I think I looked everywhere except at the camera while I sang the song, “…So if by the time, the bar closes, and you feel like falling down, I’ll carry you home, tonight.”

Cabbie clapped and then hugged me and shook my shoulders a little, “Dang girl! You’ve got pipes!”