‹ Prequel: Chances Taken
Sequel: The Three C's

Chances Risked

Chapter Seventy Three

-Sidney-
“Dude, something doesn’t feel right,” James said and I looked at him, some of the other guys had gone ahead and went to get food, just a few of us offered to stay behind and wait for Maggie to leave, “Her cousin’s been up there a while.”

“Twenty minutes,” Niskanen said and I sighed and looked at my teammates and then looked up, not knowing what I would see, but just looked up towards our floor.

“Fuck,” I growled and looked back towards my teammates, Pascal, Kunitz, Kris, James, Geno, Marc, Beau, Matt, TK and I stayed behind while everyone else went ahead, “Come on!”

We all ran towards the front doors, moving quickly into the building, through the lobby, and then squeezing into the elevator. Someone pressed our floor and we all went up, nervousness went through us, we were all wondering if something had happened, Maggie and her cousin should have left by now, we had all watched as her cousin walked in, but they didn’t walk out.

The doors opened to our floor and we all walked out, stopping dead in our tracks and our eyes widened. There was a mess in the hallway and two bodies on the ground, one belong to Maggie’s cousin and the other Maggie.

“Maggie!” James yelled and ran to her side; she was face down on the ground.

“I’ll call the police,” Marc said and I watched as Pascal and Kunitz ran to Maggie’s cousin and checked to see if she was all right.

“She’s breathing, maybe just knocked unconscious,” Pascal said and I nodded my head and walked over towards Maggie. James asked her turned over and he leaned her against him, she looked a bloody mess, “How is she?”

“I don’t know,” I breathed and bent down next to her, “Maggie!”

“She cut!” Geno stated and I saw the cut in her shirt and looked at her slowly bleeding shoulder. She had blood coming from her nose, mouth, her forehead, she was really beat up.

“I didn’t see anyone come in or leave other than her cousin,” Kris said and I nodded my head.

“Here,” I heard and looked up to see Beau handing me a towel and I slammed it down on Maggie’s shoulder, “Our room looks like a bomb went off.”

“She must have put up a fight,” TK said and I looked down at her and saw Kris pick up her bloody knuckles.

“I’ll say,” he said and Matt held up her other hand, they looked the same, “Hate to see what the other guy looks like.”

‘…That-a-girl…’ I thought proudly of her putting up a fight.

I heard a scream and turned my head to see Pascal and Kunitz calming down the crying Amber. I looked at Marc, he was holding his phone in his hand, “I called the police, they’re on their way, I called Coach too, he and the guys are coming back.”

“Go downstairs and get the security, I want to know what the hell happened here,” I said when I saw a camera above the elevators.

“Come on TK,” Marc said and he and Tyler headed down stairs.

“Sid,” I heard and saw Pascal looking at me, Amber was clutching onto him as if her life depended on it. I looked at Beau and he started to hold the white towel that was slowly turning red. I walked over towards Pascal and bent down, “Tell him what you told us,” he said and I looked at Kunitz and back at Amber.

“There were three of them,” she breathed our shakily and my eyes widened, “Two guys and a girl.”

“Did they say what they wanted?”

“They’re after our cousin,” she said and looked down, “Anna,” she bit her lip, “I don’t know what she did when she was over in London, she did something- Pissed off the wrong people, but they’re after her and going to go through all of us to find her.”

“Where is this Anna?” I asked and Amber shook her head and then groaned and held it.

“I don’t know, we don’t really get along with her- The guy knocked me out and-“

“It’s all right,” I said and she started to cry.

“Where’s Maggie? Did they take her?” she cried out and I shook my head and she breathed out in relief.

“No, she’s here,” I said and turned back towards her quickly, “But she’s pretty beaten up.”

“She fought back,” Amber said and I nodded my head, “I know she’s a black belt or whatever- Her and Mikey- But- But I’ve never seen her fight- She did some damage on the two.”

“I’m sure she did, she’s a tough girl,” I said and Amber sniffled, “She’ll be all right.”

“What about my family? My aunts, uncles, my other cousins- They need to know that they’re in danger!” Amber said and I nodded my head.

“It’ll be all right,” I said and she started to cry against Pascal and I sighed, stood up and heard the elevator open to see Marc and Tyler coming out with security.

Coach and the others weren’t too far behind, Coach wanted to see what had happened here, James, Marc, Geno and I followed him and the guards back to the first floor right as police and EMTs showed up. Seven of us squeezed into the small office and the one guard replayed the tape, we weren’t able to see what happened in Maggie’s room, but we saw the whole fight in the hallway and I bit my lip and watched as Maggie fought as hard as she could.

“Fuck,” James breathed when he saw Maggie break the girl’s arm, “Holy shit,” he ran his fingers through his hair the next second when she stabbed the guy holding her with a knife.

“She fight hard,” Geno said and I nodded my head.

‘…She wasn’t going down without a fight….’ I thought and then saw the guy grab her from behind and it was nothing but talking, there was no sound on the tape and I’m pretty sure that Coach wasn’t too happy about that. There was a knock on the door and I snapped my head towards it to see two police officers walk into the already tight quarters, they were the same two from this afternoon, ‘…Fuckin’ should have just stayed with her- Shouldn’t have let her be alone!...’

-Kane-
I was in Columbus, it was late and I just wanted to sleep, I saw that Maggie had called me; I sent her a text that I was going to bed and then collapsed onto the bed, satisfied after the two to one win in the shootout. It took me a little while to get comfortable, Jon was already asleep; he crashed as soon as his head hit the pillow. I was so close to passing out when I heard my phone going off and I groaned when I forgot to put it on silent and the hip hop song was blaring.

“Shut the fuckin’ thing off,” Jon growled and I sighed, sat up and looked at the phone to see that it was an unknown number calling me.

However, under the number it read ‘Toronto, Ontario’, it instantly clicked that Maggie was currently in Toronto. I sighed and answered the phone, “Hello?”

“Kane!” the voice was quick, in panic and male, NOT Maggie.

“Yeah, who’s this?”

“It’s James Neal,” I heard and I instantly felt wide awake, something in his voice told me that something was wrong. I knew that Maggie wasn’t hurt on the ice, I had watched the highlights, I actually knew that she got the winning goal, so I didn’t know why Neal was calling me and not Maggie, “Look man, I wanted to call you.”

“Where’s Maggie?” I asked and looked at my Captain to see that my conversation was sparking his interest and he flicked the lamp on and looked at me, sitting up and swinging his legs over the bed.

“Dude, Maggie’s in the hospital, she was attacked by these freaks-“

“Attacked? Is it the same creep that’s been following her and leaving her these pictures?” I asked and Jon looked at me confused and I remember that I had never told him.

“It’s worse than that,” Neal sighed, “She’s got like this whole fuckin’ British gang after her family because some cousin named Anna-“

“Anna?! I met her! She was a fuckin’ bitch to Maggie and they got into an argument- Almost a fist fight too!”

“Yeah well, this bitch fuckin’ messed with the wrong people and Maggie- She’s,” Neal sighed, “She’s pretty hurt- She’s fuckin’ banged up a lot.”

“Like- Like how banged up? She’s not-“

“She’ll be all right, but it’s gunna take some time,” he said and I let out a breath, “Broken ribs, concussion, fractured wrist, she got cut or stabbed- I don’t know, but she lost some blood, but I don’t think it’s worry some.”

“Did they i.d. this guy?” I asked and looked at Jon and ran my fingers through my hair.

“It’s more than one guy, and according to Maggie-“

“She’s awake?!”

“She was, the doctors knocked her out to get some rest so that her body would heal- She’s got police stationed outside her door and they’re guarding the hospital pretty well. Most of us are there too- We were supposed to leave to head back to Pittsburgh tomorrow for our game the next day, but some of us are staying.”

“What were you saying about Maggie- According to Maggie…”

“Oh, yeah, watch yourself- She thinks that these guys are going to go after more than just Marshalls,” Neal said and I sighed, “She thinks that they’re going to be targeting loved ones- Friends.”

“So what your saying is that the Penguins and the Blackhawks aren’t safe?”

“No, I’m sure these people aren’t stupid enough to go after the whole teams,” James said and I gulped, “They might try to go after you, Kane- She’s in love with you- They know it too- They have a picture of the two of you together.”

“How do you know that?”

“Because later on today when we were doing our pregame nap, they game to the hotel and posted envelopes on each of our doors- These freaks have been following her everywhere- Following YOU!”

I sighed, stood up and walked over towards the window and looked around, “You think I’m being followed?”

“I don’t know- I can’t guarantee anything,” he said and I looked towards Jon’s utterly confused face.

“I’ll be in Toronto as soon as I can,” I said and then hung up the phone after we both said bye.

“What the fuck is going on?” Jon asked and I took a deep breath and told him everything.

That night I packed everything up of mine in the hotel room and my tired body was out the door and getting on the soonest flight to Toronto, ‘…I’m coming Maggie…’