Sequel: Folie à Deux

From Under the Cork Tree

Twenty

The following week went smoother than any other times I had been in the Holohan home. Perry warmed up to me, though it wasn't a full 180, it was slow, and I understood that. She was slowly letting me into her world, and I was okay with that. Perry hung onto her eldest son with claws, and I understood that, that she was only looking out for John. I made sure to let her know how much I love and respected John, and her family.

I also made sure not to talk to any male friends in front of her, so she wouldn't think I was unfaithful. I really didn't answer my phone that week, I only called my parents and Rae to see how things were. Rae had been with Andy the entire time, and my parents were busy setting up my surprise, which had me excited and anxious to see. Other than them, I got calls from Pete, which was hard for me not to answer, because he and I are close, and I was worried if he needed me. I tried calling him back, but he didn't answer; I left him a message and texts explaining why I didn't pick up, but he didn't reply.

I felt terrible, and I told John about it the last night I was there. John and I slept in his old bedroom. The bed was comfy, and it was hard for me not to fall immediately to sleep. John held me from behind, and I was trying to figure out the words to say, "Do you think I'm mean for not answering Pete's calls?"

John hummed, "No. You explained why you didn't answer. But, you should've, my mom is just...figuring out a way to get rid of you."

I frowned, "I'm sorry she doesn't like me, John."

He sighed, "You don't have to be sorry, you didn't do anything. She'll come around, she's gonna be a grandma, and she knows how much I love you and you love me."

"What if she doesn't ever accept me? What if she doesn't love our baby?" I asked sadly.

John squeezed my body closer to his, his head dipped into the crook of my neck, "Mom will love our baby, and soon she'll love you too, Angel. Don't worry, alright? It's me and you, together forever."

My stomach filled with butterflies, "You promise?"

He chuckled, "I swear, I promise. I meant my vows, Angelus."

I rolled over in his embrace to face him, "I meant them too. I'll love you until the end of time."

He kissed my lips softly, then pressed his forehead against mine, "You're not mean, you're not a bitch, you're not a slut, you're not anything short of perfect."

I smiled, "Yeah?"

He hummed, "Yeah. Tomorrow, you call Wentz and see how he is. If he doesn't answer, you'll see him in LA soon, so don't worry about it. Besides, this was our week together, no one but me should have your attention."

I laughed, "Of course."

He nuzzled his face into my neck, "I love you."

"I know. I love you too."

He left soft kisses around the side of my neck, earning a moan from me. His scruffy cheeks rubbed against my skin, it felt like home.

"I've been really thinkin', Angelus," he began, pulling his head up, "I'm taking things seriously now."

"I know you are," I smiled at him in the dim lighting.

"I wrote down some names I really like for our baby."

My stomach was overrun by a queasy feeling; not like the constant dread.

"I really like Joelle or Johanna for a girl," he said, swallowing. "I like Emery too, for a middle name for either a boy or girl. And, I like Alex for a boy."

"I thought you wanted to name baby after some rock stars?"

He shook his head, "Nah, I was kidding around. So, what do you think?"

"I like Johanna, we can call her Jojo."

John kissed me, "Fine with me."

"I think if baby is a boy, we name him Alexander Jonathan."

He hummed, agreeing, "Nice."

I snuggled in closer to John, inhaling his scent before drifting off. I could feel his hands running up and down my back before I fell into a deep sleep.


I was heading home; John was with me, hugging me before I headed to board. He kissed the top of my head, "Love you."

Again, that worry crushed my soul, "I love you too...call me so I know you're okay."

He smiled at me, "Yeah, babe, of course. You feel alright?"

I shook my head, "No."

He hugged me tightly, "You'll be okay, Angel, I promise."

That still didn't wash away my worry, "Just call me, all the time, because I'm needy."

He chuckled, "I'm needy too, so I'll call you. I'll be home in November."

I exhaled and nodded, "Yeah...yeah, I know. Maybe I'm just hormonal."

He kissed the tip of my nose, "Nah. You're fine, baby. You just need to get home and get off your feet."

"Tryna get rid of me?" I smirked.

He shook his head, "Never, I want you around all the time, Angelus."

I could see John meant it. I kissed him one last time before I had to board my flight. My hand had lingered in his; he smiled at me and waved, I waved back, while dread filled my belly.

The dread didn't fade; on the plane, I threw up a bunch of times, I might as well have settled in the bathroom. The flight attendants sympathized with me, they gave me ginger ale and they made sure I had a sick bag so I wouldn't have to run to the bathroom. I couldn't wait to land. And, when we did, I could've kissed the ground. I thanked the flight attendants and managed to get off the plane by myself.

I was supposed to be picked up by my parents, or Rae, whoever was available, but as soon as I saw Pete there instead of my parents, I wasn't sure what to think. Pete was there by himself, stoic, no expression on his face, in a hoodie and the tightest pair of jeans imaginable. He stretched his arms upward, yawning, his hips and tattoo peeked beneath the grey and purple hoodie that had his signature little bat hearts on it.

"Hey," he said as I approached, "how were the in-laws?"

"Who told you to come?" I asked him.

"Rae. She got busy with Andy," he scoffed, "literally."

"Where are my parents?"

He finally smiled, "You don't want me here?"

I shook my head, "Nah--no, that's not it, I'm just kinda confused."

He and I began to head towards baggage claim, his hands were shoved into his pockets, mine swung at my sides.

"They were busy too," he answered, "not literally."

I grimaced slightly, "Don't even joke about that. Anyway, I'm sorry about--"

He cut me off, his eyes on the moving steel conveyor, "I got your texts and messages, don't worry about it."

I did need to worry about it, his voice was flat.

"No, really, I'm sorry," I touched his shoulder, causing him to look at me, "my mother-in-law thinks I'm too young to be with Beatz and that I could cheat on him at any given moment."

Pete's stoic, flat expression turned up, "She doesn't like you much, does she?"

"Not really."

"How'd she take the sudden marriage and baby?"

My brows shot up, "How'd you know about the baby?"

He looked down at my stomach, "The bump."

"Is it big?"

He shook his head, then managed to spot my bag and pick it up, "No, but it's noticeable when you're wearing a t-shirt that fits you well."

I smiled, "Thanks."

"For what?" He asked as we proceeded to make our way out of the airport.

"For not saying my bump is big."

Pete shrugged, "It's not. Do you know what it is yet?"

"Nope," we got outside, waiting to cross the street to the airport parking lot. "John 'n' I picked out names though."

"Yeah? Like what?"

"Johanna and Alexander."

Pete and I crossed the street, jogging across, "Those are pretty cool."

"John picked them," I said, "I'm not good at naming stuff, I mean, look at Cupid, it was by luck."

"I think I'll name my first kid after Patrick."

"Aw!" I cooed.

Pete blushed, "Shut up."

I nudged his ribs, "Okay. So, how long are you in LA for?"

"'Til November, then we're gonna be in New York for New Years."

We stopped at his rented SUV, where he tossed my bag in the backseat. I hopped up front where we began to talk and joke around. It was great how fast we got back into the groove of our friendship; I was happy that Pete didn't hold not answering his calls against me.

"Hey," he said, "you hungry? In-N-Out sounds good."

I groaned, "Ooh yes! Yum!"

He laughed, "I knew it! Animal Style fries?"

"Yes! Fuck, yes! You're a mind reader, Wentz!"

He grinned triumphantly, "I try."

Pete drove to In-N-Out and we ordered a couple of burgers, fries, and large cokes. We parked in an empty parking lot and began to eat, with the radio on. After a few minutes of silence, Pete swallowed and said, "I'm having a Halloween party, you comin'?"

"Where?" I asked with my mouth full of fries.

"The house our label put is in. I'm going as myself."

I rolled my eyes, "Naturally."

"You have your costume picked out?"

"I haven't worn a costume since I was 16, 'n' I was Ariel."

"Let me work my magic," he said smugly, "you just do your face."

"An' what are you dressing me as, Pete?"

"Hmm..." He hummed. "I'm not sure yet."

"It better be appropriate."

He smiled, "Only the best for my baby mama."

I laughed and shook my head, knowing he was only joking.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's getting closer!