Sequel: Dry Ice

Remember Me

I Don't Mind Spending Every Day In The Pouring Rain

I watched in horror. Choked on my fear and took and deep breath. Prepared to use it in the raspy, cough like voice I seemed to have now. I opened my mouth, allowing my choice words to roll out.
“Billie! (cough) Bill-ie. Look...” I screamed
He turned to look at me patiently.
“Look out!” I yelled clearly.
He was absolutely dumbfounded just staring at me because id just spoken.
“Go!” I yelled. Another burst of coughs.
He looked just in time to make an leap as the car slid, turning diagonal and stripping down the street on the slick asphalt road. Smacking the bumpers of several parked cars along the way. He disappeared from my sight for an second. Two. Three. Ten seconds passed and the car jerked to an stop after squealing against the brakes. Stopped just in front of the place I'd seen Billie disappear. But hadn't turned up again.
An scream pierced the quiet stale air. At first I thought it had come from the location of the accident. But then I clasped my hand over my mouth in shock and it silenced. In that second... I realized that it was my own worried cry.
I was across the street in an second. No life in the car at the moment. I walked quickly around the bumper to see Billie was down. Safely, out of reach of the car he was in an half sit on the curb. His legs resting out in the street still. His face was shocked. For so many reasons I could agree with him. On. I was a little more than freaked out myself.
His forehead was cut. An few drops of blood escaping the self inflicted wound. Abruptly he was on his feet. Unconcerned for himself at all. Stumbled forward to me. Crashing into my hands which steadied him. My eyes, I'm sure had tears in them. Of joy, sorrow and something else I'm sure I could identify. Just didn't want too.
His wet face hovered above mine. Drops of water dripping from the edge of his lips and off his chin. His hair soaked. Much was mind too.
“You spoke.” he whispered. Enchantment glistening in his eyes. 
I nodded.
“You don't have to do that anymore. You've got an voice.” he reminded me softly.
I nodded one more time “Yeah.” it was a little raspy. But I choked it out. 
“Billie... Your head.” I whispered. He shrugged it off. No concern for his own well being. Instead of sighing sadly like I thought he would, He smiled in honor. 
I turned to see an man stumbling out of the car with an brown paper bag clad bottle of Vodka. He turned to us and pled “No one needs to know about this!” and turned to jog up the street. Stumbling drunkenly several times. Someone ought to though, he had almost killed Billie.
I looked back up at Billie. He lightly stroked an lock of choppy black hair behind my ear. Looking down. Hesitantly. Like something I believed I should know. But also surprised for.
He ducked his head. Pressing his wet lips lightly against my own. Our combined drops of rain water dripping from our chins.
I wrapped my arms around his neck. His wet leather jacket oddly comforting to me in the storm that may have brought me a love that up until I woke up this morning, knew nothing about.
I rested my forehead against his after it all anyways. Looking up at him fearlessly. There was nothing else I could fear. Well- one. Losing him. If I had well... That's just the most unimaginable thing ever. I could hardly believe that a few days ago, I called him self confident and very arrogant. An hostile asshole to be exact. But I looked at him now through new eyes. We hadn't been through much together. But enough to think that I may actually love him, and that horrified me a little bit. But I was excited for it in some way. Sort of glad now that I had no past. Only future to live on. And I truly believe now after what I'd just witnessed, that anything else life can throw at us won't be much. We'll be alright. We'll make it through, I was certain of that much.
“I think we- we will be alright.” I said softly. Pausing long enough for an short scruffy cough. Still trying to gain my voice back. It'd be a process, but thanks to that Damn hospital for never allowing me any opportunity to talk, I could have lost the ability all together.

He waited an second and pulled back. His blond hair hanging in an wet shag in his eyes. He nodded, smiling. “Yeah. I think so, let's go home.”
I smiled too, yeah. Home
♠ ♠ ♠
Ok, I'll admit I'm guilty of naming this chapter after a line in a Maroon 5 song. Regardless, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Xoxo