Sequel: Dry Ice

Remember Me

Me & You & A Dog Named Checkers

Twenty minutes after Billie had agreed to head back we were finally doing so. We had walked the trails at an leisurely pace. And were still hoping to make it home in plenty of time. He laughed on the way back and we played the ol shoving game. Were you walked into someone and lean on them, they do the same back. But it certainly was an energy waster. The familiar curb in front of Billie's house came into view. We walked up the sidewalk and then into their lot. Up the steps past the garage that now remained empty of any presence of Mike. He must have gone inside.
Billie opened the door and closed it behind him when we entered the living room. I could hear Ollie on the phone in the kitchen. So yes she was home and we could pretend we were the whole time. But Ollie has got an eye for detail and that means seeing the beach sand packed into the tread of our converse.
I took them off and abandoned them at the mat. Carrying onto my room. I suppose that after today Billie doesn't despise me. We are actually pretty good friends now. 
“Hold it!” Ollie called from the kitchen while me and Billie were trying to escape to our rooms. 
She leaned casually in the doorway.
“So... Where ya been?”
“Didn't Mike tell you?” Billie said in defense.
Her eyes narrowed “He went to go hang out at one of his friends houses.”
Billie cussed under his breath.
“I don't see the need for secrets.” she laughed.
“Come on, I won't laugh.”
Billie sighed heavily “I took Whatsername to Gilman and down on the beach.” he said calmly.
“I see you gave her a name.” she grinned.
“She don't mind it, do you?” he asked turned to me. I shook my head.
“See?” he said showing his example.
Ollie shrugged “I can't believe it, your being truthful with me.” she grinned “Your free to go.”
“Only because Whatsername was apart of the conversation. Otherwise I never would have heard the end of it for spending all day at Gilman.” Billie laughed turning to head to his room.
“Maybe so.” Ollie murmured behind us.
I walked away to go to my room. No matter how happy I was today, I could never escape this opresent cloud over my head. I looked out the windows. I could see the exact same thing I do every time I look out these windows. The flower garden in Billie's backyard. I could see an dog out there, I didn't know Billie had an dog. I blinked twice, and decided to go visit the lonely black and white border collie.
I walked out the door through the kitchen. All screen allowing an soft breeze to drift through the house. 
I dipped my bare toes into the green grass. I walked slowly toward the dog. It barked at me several times, growled even. But something pulled me toward him. Beckoning to pet him and assure everything was ok. If I couldn't tell him that I'd have to show him. 
I knelt in the grass. It wavered around me. I sat calmly. Watching the hostile dog bark at me repeated times. I heard the screen door creak open: bur I kept my eyes closed and my concentration pure. When I opened them I clicked my tongue at the dog and it stopped barking. It stared at me idly. I bowed my head slightly and the dog laid down in the grass so we were on eye level. I looked into its eyes and patted the grass in front of me lightly. The dog cocked it head and crawled forward to me. It layed down again and looked up at me. I reached over hesitantly and rubbed his head softly. I smiled slightly and rubbed his back and he rolled over. I sighed and scratched his belly. I smiled wider as the dog seemed to bow to my command of softness. I didn't speak to him yet he seemed compelled to listen to me anyways. I rolled out on the grass so we both laid on our bellies.
“My god. That dog never let's anyone pet it.” Billie gasped from the stoop. Ollie looking over his shoulder. I turned and grinned.
I beckoned Billie over with my hand. He got within an hesitant foot away from the dog before it broke out barking again. My brow furrowed and I scratched his head again and he relaxed, turning to look up at me as if waiting for my next command. I smiled up at Billie who slowly dropped to the ground  with his feet crossed. I looked gently at the dog and continued to pet him. Billie reached for him slowly. And he got an growl. He raised an eyebrow and recoiled. I looked at his eyes softly and shook my head. He reached forward and tried again. This time he got to pet the dogs fur. He slowly pet the dog.
“Your not such an bad boy now are you?” he asked looking into the dogs hazel eyes. 
Billie looked up to meet mine “The dogs name is Checker. He is my brother's dog. But he kind of dumped him on us when he found him alongside the road. He hasn't been back for him yet, which gives me the instinct that he's ours_ or yours.” he said softly smiling.
I smiled too. Nodding my head to ask him if he was sure.
He nodded too “All yours.”
I smiled and hugged him. The kissed the dog's forehead.
“Uh... You may want to give him an bath first.” Billie instructed. Holding my shoulder.
I nodded, and he helped me get together the water and the soap. When everything was together, we looked at each other, then the tub of water in the middle of the lawn, and then the bottle of dog soap.
Then back to Checker. Let's do this.
I picked up Checker and put him in the tub of water. He calmly sat there. So I figured this was progress. Billie sat on the step and watched me.
I turned for the rag, and when I turned Checkers had leapt from the tub, splashing me with the warm water. I blinked several times. Looking down at my now dark grey tank top. That dog will take an bath! Billie laughed watching me chase the dog around his scruffy yard. I tackled the dog. Pinning it's dripping body to my chest as I lugged him back and set him in the tub again. At least I got him all wet down this time. Then he turned to face me. He licked his lips and cocked his head. I reached to scrub his neck. Then, without warning the dog leapt from the tub and ran me over. Chasing an squirrel across the yard. I just stayed down on the grass. Kept my back pressed against the cool grass. I relaxed my face so I wouldn't get mad and end up killing the dog trying to give it an bath.
“Are you alright?” Billie asked. His voice hovering over my face. I opened my eyes warily. Looking up at him as he got an grip on my wet shoulders and pulled me to my feet.
“I think he is... Uh clean enough.” Billie shrugged looking after the dog.
I shook my head angrily. And grinned evilly. I grabbed an fistful of his shirt and dragged him along with me and we once again chased the dog.
This time Billie held Checkers down in the tub while I scrubbed. His shirt equally as wet as mine. Clung to his body.
I smiled and looked down. We finished the dog in under fifteen minutes and walked into the house with bubbles stuck in our hair. Our clothing all wet and I felt like I'd been run through an dishwasher.
“Have fun washing Checkers?” Ollie snickered. Cutting carrots on an marble cutting board.
I grinned at Billie as he stumbled for words, finally he just said “Yeah mom. It was awesome.” he emphasized. Stumbling off toward his room for an new change of clothes.
And that girls, is how an voiceless girl gets help washing an dog.
I smiled to myself and helped Ollie with dinner.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well that, had me laughing again considering I wrote this a while back. ;D
Hope it's getting better, I'm trying to make it a long one. Comment, I've explained this before, I'm a comment lover. Also, big, gigantic thank you to Crystal2 for reading this story, along with the other GD fictions I've done. Your comments mean the world. More chapters on the way