‹ Prequel: American Soldier
Status: Updates come when Comments are recieved

Wounded Warrior No More

The Hopeless Romantic

I can't believe Zacky figured out my little plan. I was embarassed at first but when he told me how he really felt...my heart felt like it was going to jump right out of my chest from beating so hard against my rib cage. Then he kisses me on the cheek. That was like the icing on top of a cake. My heart and mind are on the same page with the feelings for Zacky and I couldn't be more happier that he doesn't care about my injuries. Jerry sure was right. I drove back to the mall with a smile that couldn't be washed away. I walked into the store and Jerry looked up at me.

"I'm guessing your lunch with your friend went better than you expected." I answered his question by throwing my arms around his neck and giving him an affectionate hug.

"Thank you Jerry...for everything." I said smiling.

"So tell me how it went."

"I took your advice and did the round about way of asking him about how he feels about me but he had figured it out as soon as I opened my mouth. All those feelings I feel for him are the exact same way he feels about me." I said happily. I don't think I can contain the excitement that's surging through my veins.

"He asked you out to dinner didn't he?"

"Yes. Tomorrow night since I'm off from work." I said feeling like a teenager who's found her first love.

"I'm happy for you Blaze. I told you everything would work out for you."

"I can't thank you enough Jerry." I said smiling like a fool.

"No need to thank me. I was just passing on some experienced advice."

"So anyways enough about me. How much money did we collect before our break?" I asked quickly changing the subject.

"So far we've raised over 600 bucks but we're still a long way away from reaching our goal."

"How much more do we need?" I asked out of curiousity.

"Well I found a great piece of land that's big enough to put a firing range on and still have enough room to put whatever but we still need about 40 to 70 thousand more dollars."

"That's going to be hard to raise. I mean unless we do something extravigant." I said truthfully. There's no way we're going to be able to raise up to 70 thousand more dollars without coming up with some other way to advertise. I'm going to have to sit down tomorrow and just think about a way we can raise the money we need.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I finished with my work and Jerry closed up shop for the day. I sat behind the counter and counted the money we collected the rest of the day and we finally reached 1,000. Damn this is going to be a long road to getting enough to start that firing range. Maybe it's impossible but I don't want to disappoint the customers who are looking forward to this. I have to keep figuring out ways to get the money.

"Well I'm out of here Jerry. You have a good night." I said hugging him.

"You too and I want to hear about your date when you come in on Monday."

"I'll be sure to tell you everything." I said nodding my head. I waved goodbye to him as I left the store and made my way to the car. I got in and the car roared to life. I drove my route to Payge's house and parked beside Matt's car. I got out and went into the house. I followed my nose right into the kitchen where Payge was cooking dinner.

"Hey sis I'm home.'' I said smiling. She turned around and she was wearing the same smile I had on.

"I heard some wonderful news today."

"Oh yeah?" I asked as I sat down at the bar.

"Yeah. I heard through the grapevine that you and Zacky have a date tomorrow night."

"We do. I couldn't be happier sis." I said honestly. This is the first time I've ever felt valued. Well besides when I was in the service.

"It's about time Zacky asked you on a date anyways."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked curiously.

"I uh...sort of knew that Zacky had feelings for you."

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked in shock.

"You never asked me."

"You can be a such an ass at times." I said shaking my head.

"Thank you. It's my job."

"Anyways, we've raised a considerable amount of money today at the store." I said changing the subject again for the third time today. I'm getting good at this.

"How much?"

"Before lunch we were at a little over 600 bucks but once we put the jar back up we collected 400 more bringing it to an even thousand." I said smiling.

"Wow! You'll soon be able to afford that firing range."

"Not for a long time Payge. Jerry told me that we needed to raise at least 70 thousand more before we can even decide to start building. I don't have the slightest clue on what else we have to do to get the money." I said feeling slightly defeated.

"I don't have a clue either Blaze but maybe we should sit down tomorrow with the girls and come up with some ideas. Speaking of ideas, do you have any idea what you're going to wear tomorrow for your date?"

"I don't really have anything dressy except for my Class A uniform." I said. I really don't have anything besides my Class A uniform that's even remotely formal. I didn't even have a dress or skirt of any kind when I was younger.

"I think I have a few dresses I can't wear anymore and they should fit you. If they don't and if we've got time before Zacky picks you up, we'll go and see if we can find you one that you'll like."

"What if I can't find one I like?" I asked in all seriousness.

"I guess you'll have to wear your uniform." Payge and I talked a few more minutes as she cooked until she asked me to set the table while she went to get Matt from his Man-Cave. I placed a beer at each place setting and we sat down to have a nice meal. Matt and Payge were having their own conversation but I was tuning it out with the thoughts of my date tomorrow. I've never been out on a date before so I don't really know how the whole process goes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today is my day off from work and when I had woken up this morning I noticed that I had slept a little later than I usually do. That's strange for me to sleep in past 9 in the morning. I bathed in my bathroom and dressed in a pair of loose legged jeans and one of the Vengeance University t-shirts I had bought the last time I went to the mall. When Matt left to go to the studio to continue on working on this new album, Payge pulled me up to her bedroom and started taking different colored dresses out of her closet and laid them out on the bed.

"I think that's all of them. Now which one do you like?" I looked through the pile of dresses but I just couldn't decide on one that suited what I liked. Most of them were way too colorful and the others...I just didn't think would be right for me to wear. I mean they were really short and all I need is for people to start staring at me in the middle of the restuarant.

"I think the dresses should be longer. I'm not really comfortable in wearing something so short...if you know what I mean." I said while patting my leg lightly and she nodded her head.

"I better call the girls and have them come over so we can go shopping." I agreed and she sat down beside me as she called each of the girls. Not even 20 minutes later, the girls were standing at the front door. We left the house and made our way over to the mall. Michelle showed me a few shops that she said had beautiful dresses but again nothing was catching my eye.

The girls led me around to other stores around the mall that sold dresses but most of them were down right ugly and again just too short for my comfort level. I was thinking about giving up. We all sat down in the food court area of the building feeling pretty much defeated.

"Hey Blaze." I looked up and seen Jerry with a smile on his face.

"Hey Jerry! Are you on break?" I asked shaking his hand.

"Yeah. Who are these good looking ladies?"

"Oh I'm sorry you all haven't met yet! Jerry this is my sister Payge and our good friends Michelle, Lacey, and Leana." I said introducing them. Jerry being the gentlman he is kissed the tops of their hands.

"It's nice to meet you all. What brings you here today?"

"We're helping Blaze find a dress for her date tonight." Payge answered with a smile.

"By the looks of it, you all haven't found anything yet."

"She can't seem to find anything that suits her and that's not too short." Michelle chimed in.

"There's a place about 30 minutes down the road that sells evening gowns."

"How could you possibly know that?" Payge asked in confusion.

"My wife has me go there to get her new dresses. She's not into the really short dresses either. It's not that expensive and they have some outfits there that will knock the socks off of you."

"Thanks Jer. We'll go check it out after we rest here a few minutes. Oh how's the donations coming?" I asked curiously.

"We haven't gotten many people in today so we're not doing that good but I'm sure by Monday the money will start flowing back in."

"I was thinking about ways to try and boost the donations last night but I'm drawing an absolute blank." I said in an apologetic tone of voice.

"I'm doing the same. I've got to get back to the store and finish up on some paperwork. You ladies have a good day and I'll see you on Monday."

"You too Jerry." I said smiling. Payge, Michelle, Lacey, and Leana all waved goodbye and we walked to the main entracne of the mall. We got into Leana's SUV and she droe us the 30 minute drive to the store Jerry was talking about. Leana pulled into the parking lot and found a space. we all went into the store and it gave off a very welcoming Vibe.

"Let's get started. We don't have a second to spare." I shook my head as the girls walked around the shop looking at different dresses. I sifted through each dress until I found 4 that I just couldn't decide on.

"Hey Payge, can you come here?" I asked and she walked over to me. I held up the dresses but she couldn't decide either.

"How about you try them on and then we'll give you our opinion?" I nodded and found the dressing room. The woman at the counter unlocked one of the stalls and put a hanger with the number 4 on it. The first dress was dark purple and a few ruffles on it but the girls thought it wasn't right and when I looked into the full length mirror...I really didn't like it on me either. I changed into the next dress which was a dress that was a greyish black color with bright green but when I stepped out the girls instantly shook their heads no. I went back in and put the third one on. It was strapless black and blue dress that sparkled in the light.

"It's still not right. Try on the last one." Payge said and I nodded. I went back inside the changing room and took the dress off before slipping on the last one. I opened the door of the changing room and the girls jaws dropped.

"Is it bad?" I asked unsure but then their faces turned into smiles.

"I think this is the dress that will knock Zacky out." I turned and looked at myself in the mirror. The strapless, silk black dress came down to my ankles that way I wouldn't have to hold it up when I walked. I smiled at myself and nodded to my sister.

"I think it's the one." I went back into the changing room and put my regular clothes back on. Payge took the dress and found a perfect pair of heels that went with the dress. We left the store after I paid for it and we headed back to the house. The girls were muttering something about making me into someone Zacky will never expect. God only knows what they're going to do to me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Zacky's POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The minute I got home, I jumped into the shower. I wanted to smell fresh for Blaze and not like sweat. The warm water that cascaded down my back eased some of the nervousness I was beginning to feel on the drive home. There's never been a woman who could ever make me nervous like Blaze does...well aside from my mother. I got out of the shower and dried off but I left the towel around my waist. I pulled open the doors to my closet and pulled out a tuxedo that I've only worn twice since I bought it. I let the towel drop to the floor of my bedroom and got dressed into the tux. Using the mirror on my dresser, I styled my hair like I usually do it and I took my snakebites out. I checked my phone and seen that I had time to stop by a floral shop to pick up some flowers for Blaze before heading to Matt's to pick her up.

I left the house after looking myself over once more and I headed to one of the many floral shops. I went inside and looked around for something Blaze would like. We never got on the topic of which was her favorite and I really don't think she had a favorite. I looked over the red roses but that's a typical gesture of romance. I need something a little different. I looked into very glass case I came to until I finally found the perfect flower. It's bright orange and red pedals were just as beautiful as Blaze. They sort of had that color of a blaze. I grabbed the flowers from the cooling glass unit and went up to the counter and paid for them. I just hope she likes them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Blaze's POV~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel like I've been sitting in this chair for a damn lifetime but the girls won't let me get up and walk around. I guess their afraid that I'll see myself in the mirror or something. I know they've gotten my hair all done but now Leana is finishing up on my makeup and making sure everything is perfect. It took her a while to figure out what shade of what goes best with my tanned skin but she finally got it.

"Okay I think I've gotten everything." She said smiling.

"Does that mean I can get up now?" Leane nodded and I stood to my feet. I looked at myself in the mirror that's positioned on the dresser and I couldn't recognize myself. It was like someone else was standing beside Leana in the reflection.

"What do you think?" I couldn't speak. I was just so amazed at how I looked. It sure is a step up from being in a uniform and having dried dirt all over my face.

"Blaze? Are you still with me?" Leana asked as she waved her hand in front of my face knocking me from my trance.

"Yeah I'm still here. Damn Leana...this is amazing."

"You're welcome. Shall we go downstairs and see what the others think?" she asked and I nodded. We left my room and she stopped me on the last step. She went into the living room where Payge, Michelle, Lacey, and Matt were sitting around and waiting.

"Without further adeu...here is the new Blaze Rossi." Leana said and I walked into the living room. Payge and the girls again had their jaws placed on the floor in front of them.

"Blaze you look amazing!" Lacey said smiling.

"Wow! Who knew my sister could be one hot mama!" I chuckled and shook my head. Matt looked and sent me a friendly smile. I just can't wait for Zacky to get here. As if on cue there was a knock on the front door. Payge got up and hurried to the front door to let Zacky in.

"Come on in Zacky. Blaze is waiting in the living room."

"What's that look for?" Zacky said as Payge entered back into the living room. Zacky took one look at my and his eyes just about popped out of their sockets. It took all I had not to laugh at his crazy bugged out eyes. Payge nudged Zacky's arm and he popped right out of the trance and came over to me.

"Damn...you're...you look so beautiful."

"Thanks Zacky." I said smiling and I could feel the heat fly to my cheeks.

"These are for you. I hope you like Tiger Lilies."

"They're beautiful Zacky. Thank you." I said as he handed me the flowers. I brought them up to my nose to try and hide the blush that had finally reached it's brightest red.

"I'll put them in water for you Blaze."

"We should go ahead and get to the resturant." Zacky said lacing his arm with mine. We left house and he opened the passenger side door for me and I got in. He ran around to the driver's side and cranked the engine to life. It didn't take long before we got to the resturant. He came back around to my side and opened the door and helped me out. I thanked him and we went into the building.

"Welcome to Luggatti's Italian Grill. Do you have a reservation?"

"Yes under the last name Baker." Zacky told the Maitre de'.

"Oh yes! Right this way please." We followed the well dressed man. I looked around and seen the way the other customers were dressed. This place must be expensive but you can't judge a book by it's color. We got to our table and Zacky pulled my chair out for me and helped me scoot closer to the table.

"Shall I bring you our wine list?"

"Yes please." Zacky said politely and the man walked away.

"Wine list?"

"Do you drink wine?" he asked curiously.

"I don't know. I've actually never had wine."

"Really?" he asked and I nodded my head.

"I learn something new about you everyday."

"When I was in the service and I went on R&R, all my buddies and I ever did was go to one of the local bars and drink the hard stuff or just beer. I learn something new about you all the time too." I said smiling.

"What's that?"

"I never knew you looked so handsome in a tux." I complimented.

"Thanks. I've only worn this like twice since I bought it."

"This is my first time wearing a dress and heels." I said honestly.

"You mean you've never dressed up when you were a kid?"

"No. Not having a mother to show me anything girly or whatever was a draw back but I like the tomboyish look. Hell you'd have to be that way in the military." I explained and he nodded.

"Here's the wine list. I'll send a waiter over to you all in a few minutes." The older gentleman left us and Zacky looked over the wine list for us since...well for obvious reasons. Not even 2 minutes after the older man left, a younger male waiter came over to the table with menus.

"Hello my name is Carson and I'll be your server for this evening. Have you decided on a wine?"

"Yes. I think we'll take a bottle of the house's finest wine please." Zacky said handing the man the list which in turn he handed the menus out to us.

"I'll be right back with your wine and to take down your orders." We both nodded at the same time and the man left. I opened the menu and looked over everything. This wasn't the typical Italian resturant. It had everything Italian of course but it also had different kinds of hamburgers, steaks, and even seafood.

"Is anything jumping out at you?"

"Everything looks...just so good." I said and he chuckled.

"I know what you mean. It's getting hard for me to decide as well."

"How about we just the Massive Spaghetti and Meatballs plate? That we can share it?" I suggested and he nodded before closing his menu. I closed mine as well and laid it to the side.

"Here's your wine." The waiter said as he rolled a small cart that held a bucket that was filled with small chips of ice. He sat down 2 glasses and poured each of us half a glass.

"Are you ready to order?"

"We'd like to share the Massive Spaghetti and Meatballs Plate please." Zacky told the young man and he wrote it down.

"Would you like an appetizer, soup or salad?" Zacky looked over at me and I shook my head.

"No thanks."

"Alright. I'll have it out for you all in a few minutes." Carson said before leaving us.

"Did you really like those flowers I got you?"

"Yes. Tiger Lilies just happen to be my favorite." I said nodding with a smile on my face.

"I got lucky then. I was going to get you some red roses but I thought that was too typical. I wanted to do something different."

"I'm glad you chose those. I'm thinking about planting those next to Payge's rose bushes. I think it would look cool." I stated.

"I meant to ask you. How's the donations going?"

"When I seen Jerry at the mall when the girls took me shopping for a dress this morning, he said that we hadn't gotten much money but he thinks once the weekend is over then the money will be coming back in better." I explained.

"You would think the weekend would be the best day of raising some money."

"I thought that too but I told Jerry that I was drawing a blank in trying to figure out other ways of getting people to contribute." I said still feeling defeated.

"Jerry couldn't think of anything either?" I shook my head no. We conversed back and forth with each other. I really liked the taste of the wine. It was sure as hell better than the burning of the hard shit I used to drink. The waiter brung out the big plate and it was massive.

I twirled the pasta around my fork and the taste was as good as the smell. It was so delicious! I've never had such a good meal in my life and it was definately better than that damn food I used to eat in the service. Zacky and I ate on the spaghetti until the plate was empty. I surely didn't have any more room in my stomach for anything else. The young waiter brought the check out in a small black book. Zacky took it and pulled a credit card from his wallet. The waiter took off and came back minutes later with the card and a receit where Zacky signed it. We left the resturant as the sun was almost over the horizon. He led me down to the beach where I took off my shoes and let the warm sand creep up between my toes. We walked hand in hand down the beach.

"Are you having a good time?"

"I'm having the best time of my life. I can't help but ask...but how much was the check?" I asked out of curiousity.

"It wasn't that much besides I can afford it."

"Zacky...that means it was expensive. I don't want to throw your money away like that." I said honestly.

"Blaze, you're worth every penny and I mean that."

"Still you don't have to impress me with paying for an expensive dinner." I said and he looked at me in confusion.

"What?"

"How did you know I was trying to do that?" he asked as we sat down on a bench that was place in one of the grassy areas on the beach.

"Woman's intution...and the way you opened the door for me and helped me get seated."

"Damn you're good." he said and I chuckled. We fell into a confortable silence as we looked out over the ocean as the the lingering sunlight made the ocean look like a fire was on the glimmering water. A cool breeze blew making me shiver. Zacky must have noticed because he took off his jacket and wrapped it around my shoulders. I smiled at him and noticed how close he was. I felt his arm on my shoulder blades through the jacket so I leaned my head over and let it rest on Zacky's shoulder. The smell of his colonge gave me a sense of comfort that I've never felt before. I glanced up at Zacky and I could tell he was fighting something in his mind.

"What's on your mind Zacky?" I asked and he looked down at me in confusion. I sat up and slightly turned myself to face him.

"What do you mean?"

"You looked deep in thought." I stated.

"Oh I was just thinking about something I wanted to ask you but I don't know what you'll think."

"Tell me." I said laying my hand on his.

"I know we haven't known each other that long but with all the letters Payge read to us...I feel like I've known you forever. It's strange I know but that's how I feel. I just want you to know that...that it doesn't matter to me that you lost a part of you. We all do at some point in life whether it's emotionly or in your case physically. I like you a lot Blaze...and I would be the so happy if you would be my girl."

"I can't tell you how much that means to me that you would say something like that Zacky. I would love to be your girl." I said truthfully and full of heart. He brought me close and wrapped his strong arms around my shoulders. Our eyes met with a tender feeling and we inched closer and closer to each other before our lips touched. The kiss was loving but with passion. We parted to get our breaths and we focused back on the sunset. That was the first time I was ever kissed by a man and I hope that's not the last kiss I ever get from Zacky.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments? Yay for a long chapter! What do you guys think?