Sequel: Scattered
Status: Completed

Forgetting You, But Not the Time

Best Thing In Town

"We're playing at Gilman Street tomorrow night," said Billie, who was currently leaning up against one of the trees at a nearby park with me leaning up against him, his arms around my middle while playing with the fabric of my shirt. It was official; Billie and I were finally together. After I had found the courage to admit I trusted him, we took the time to talk things through before he asked me to be his girlfriend. I, of course, accepted and the distance between us seemed to close. By now, we were just as close—if not closer—as Chase and I were when we were still in a relationship.

"Oh?" I inquired, my hand finding his and bringing it up to inspect it. Other than his eyes, I held an odd attraction towards his hands. I wouldn't say they were perfect, but... they were a guitarist's hands; they were rough, yet gentle. His skin was rather tan, but also very smooth. I couldn't understand why I loved his hands so much, but I just did.

"Mhm," he laced his fingers with mine, also observing our intertwined hands with interest. "You're coming, right?"

"Of course I am," You'd think after months of attending every one of their shows, he'd stop asking that and finally realize that even nearing the topic of the question was pointless. "I love your hands," I knew I had never told him such a thing, considering I had never really had much time to hold his hands and discover how striking they really were.

Billie raised his eyebrows. "You like my hands?" I, of course, nodded.

"Yeah, I don't why, but I just really love your hands." His thumb caressed just below my own, seemingly unable to find a way to respond. "And your eyes," I lifted my head, our gazes locking. "You have beautiful eyes."

Suffice it to say, we were in one of those moods where everything we said came out as cheesy pick-up lines; one of those lovesick moments that usually only occurred when we were alone.

"So do you," he smiled, looking thoughtful. "They're hazel." He concluded after a split second of silence. "But sometimes they look green."

"How observant of you," I grinned, Billie rolling his eyes playfully.

"I try." He said, a strand of his blonde-faded hair dropping over his forehead. I ran my fingers through it, causing it to stick up in even more odd ends and giggled.

"Your hair's getting long,"

"Yeah, it tends to do that."

I rolled my eyes this time before swatting him on the arm. "You're funny," I deadpanned. "But really, it's going to start falling down in your eyes soon."

"Are you suggesting I need a haircut?" He raised an eyebrow, adjusting himself behind me and placing himself on one of the benches that sat nearest to the tree, pulling me onto his lap.

I shook my head. "No, I never said that. I like your hair long. I was just making an observation."

Billie grinned up at me, and if I hadn't of been sitting, my knees would've given out. He brought his free hand around my neck and pulled me down to him, stealing my breath. I reached across and wrapped my arm around his neck, twining my fingers in his hair, mirroring his actions. I wasn't quite sure how the mood of the situation suddenly switched from affection to lust, but since the feeling of Billie deepening the kiss left me rather flustered, I honestly didn't care.

Not a moment later, he pulled away, positively beaming. I took a notice of how happy he had been the last couple of days. I wasn't sure why he was so content all of the sudden, but I suspected it was the same reason I was.

"We should probably head back," I blinked. "If you look up at the sky, you'll notice it's cloudy. And when there are clouds, there's usually rain." Despite his strained syllables, I still didn't understand his point. Billie rolled his eyes dramatically, looking as though he wanted to add gestures to his suggestion. "It's cold enough outside, Spencer. I don't really think you'll want to get a real cold."

I still didn't see a problem with it, but reluctantly agreed and allowed him to lead me back to my house, hand in hand. There was little conversation on the way there; not that there needed to be. Between the two of us, speaking was hardly ever needed, as cheesy as that may sound. We were perfectly comfortable in silence, just as we were while talking to each other.

"Gilman's. Tomorrow night." He reminded me as we stepped foot on my porch. I laughed and nodded.

"I know, I won't forget." I reassured him. Billie smiled proudly and leaned in for a kiss, which I gladly accepted and returned. Not a second later he pulled away, making the moment seem sweeter. With one last wave, he departed.

* * * *

"So you joining us at Gilman's tonight?" inquired Carly on the other line. I sighed, sitting down on the edge of my bed. Everyone seemed to be asking me that. Of course I am, damnit!

"Yes, Carly, I'm going." I wasn't quite positive how to say that without it coming out worse than I intended it to. Carly, however, paid no matter to or chose to brush aside my tone of voice and continued,

"How're you and Billie?" Even if I couldn't see her, I knew she was smirking. Carly, probably more than anyone else, was more than relieved once she heard that Billie and I were together. Apparently she knew we'd get together all along.

But even if she was smirking at our attraction towards each other, I couldn't suppress the smile that twitched at the corner of my lips. "We're great; never been closer. And please refrain from the I told you so's and I knew it was only a matter of time's if you can." I had gotten plenty of those once she found out. Mike made a point to give Billie a somewhat rough pat on the back, apparently that being a "congratulations" gesture.

Carly laughed. "Alright, alright... but I saw it coming; I'm still not surprised." I groaned, both jokingly and sincerely. "But enough of that," she then said, and I could just picture her waving her hand in a careless manner. "Have you talked to Kris about this yet? I mean, not that you need her permission to go steady with her ex or anything, but just to offer her a bit of leeway to give her opinion on the matter at least?"

I frowned at the question; it was something I wasn't too fond of thinking about. I knew I was going to have to talk to Kris about the given situation, but I wasn't exactly looking forward to what she had to say. If she still had feelings for Billie, not only would it make me feel guilty, but it'd also cause me to feel the need to avoid her at all costs... which wasn't something I wanted to do.

I knew Billie would never let a friend of his get in the way of his relationship, but I wasn't as harsh at he could be when it came down to it. The bottom line was: I was scared. As childish as that sounded, I was scared to face Kris.

"No, not yet," I finally responded, picking at the edge of the comforter. "I don't really know what to say to her. And what if she still likes Billie? Do you know what kind of position that'd put me in?"

"But you said it yourself," Carly started, using that familiar "I'm-smarter-than-you-so-shut-up" tone she had mastered so well. "Even if shedid still having feelings for him, she refused to go back out with him. So really, she shouldn't have anything to complain about." Carly had a point, but I didn't want to admit it.

"I know, but... she's been acting so... miserable ever since they split up. I mean, I knew they weren't together anymore, but she still looked at him the same after the break-up... and lately she's just acting like she's lonely, and maybe even to the point of desperate... I don't know, I'm just a little worried at where the conversation would end up."

I hadn't known Kris for a very long time, but in the time that I spent with her, I knew her emotions were almost always hanging by a string and that she was very fragile, even if she didn't seem like she was. That's why I was always careful around the topics/words "dating", "relationships" and "Billie Joe".

"Yeah, I get where you're coming from." There was a silence between the both of us. "Well." she breathed. "I need to get ready for the show. I'll meet you there, alright?"

"Okay, I'll see you later, Carly." The call ended and I exhaled sharply. I had been fine until Carly brought up the subject of Kris. I felt like I was overreacting, but it was a stressful topic to think about. I didn't want to worry myself over such a small thing, but the thought always lingered.

I made for my closet to find something to wear as well for the show. Billie and the gang were picking me up in the bookmobile at about 6:30, so I still had an hour before I would be leaving.

I picked out a pair of black baggy jeans that I had stolen from Billie a few days prior, a Beatles shirt and my black jacket. I decided to wear my green chucks with the black shoelaces.

I jumped into the shower, and since I wasn't leaving for another 55 minutes, I figured it wouldn't do any harm in taking a long shower. I ran a possible conversation between Kris and myself through my head as I bathed, wishing it'd go as well as I was hoping it would. But I knew not to think too much into it; it was Billie's night... well, and Mike's and John's as well.

I stepped out and got myself ready; putting on some make-up, brushing my teeth and blow-drying my hair before putting it up into a ponytail. By the time I walked downstairs, it was already 6:20. Knowing Billie, they had probably left early and would be there sooner than originally scheduled. I walked aimlessly into the living room, hoping to find something to kill time, and saw my father sitting on the couch, reading.

"Hey dad," I smiled, almost walking in a skip over to him; pre-show jitters, even if I wasn't apart of the band. He looked up from the book he was reading and pushed his glasses further up his nose, smiling.

"Hi Spencer, are you going out?" he asked, eyeing my attire.

I nodded, smiling back. "Yeah, Billie's got a show at Gilman's at 7." My dad grinned, nodding.

"Well, I hope you have fun." And with that, he went back to his book. I wanted to ask him how things between Reese and himself were, but before I could open my mouth to ask, the doorbell rang. I bid my father goodbye and ran to the front door, placing my wallet in my back pocket before opening it.

Billie smiled and gave me a soft peck on my lips before wrapping his arm around my waist and leading me to the bookmobile. I jumped inside, Billie coming in right after. Mike greeted me cheerfully, while John did as well, those his greeting wasn't as cheerful. I wondered why he was in such a sour mood, but didn't bother asking.

We arrived at Gilman's 15 minutes until 7. I helped unload their equipment and such before running in to find Carly who said she'd be with Tre somewhere near the back. I had to push my way through the crowd; an unusual amount of people were there. Usually, Gilman's wasn't that crowded. But that night, it was packed.

"Spencer!" I turned to the right and saw Carly coming towards me, Tre walking behind her. "Hey!" she smiled, pulling me into a quick hug, Tre doing the same. "Where are the guys?" she questioned, having to raise her voice slightly to be heard.

"In the back getting ready, come on." I led the two of them backstage where we were welcomed, getting "permission slips" from the band on the way back. Carly ran over to Mike who gladly pulled her into his embrace and shared a moment, looking oddly like Billie and myself.

I felt a pair of arms encircle around my waist and I gasped, jumping slightly. There was a nip on my neck and I immediately knew who it was, not that the sparks hadn't given me an obvious answer when Billie pulled me into him. I grinned to myself before turning around in his grasp.

A pair of lips instantaneously connected with my own and I pulled my arms around his neck, bringing him closer and deepening the kiss as a "break a leg" gesture. Billie sunk his teeth in my lower lip, tugging at it with affection.

"I love your kisses," Billie murmured against my lips before sinking down to my throat, planting kisses along my jaw line and just below my pulse. I didn't know how to respond to that without throwing the statement back at him, and quite frankly the thought of actually forming coherent sentences with him sensually nibbling on my neck was humorous. "Mm, you smell good," he purred before putting my earlobe in his mouth, biting it playfully just like he had previously done with my neck.

I wasn't capable of doing anything but running my fingers through his hair, not protesting against anything he did to me with those amazing lips of his. Bringing his mouth down to mine for one last time, he kissed the breath away from me once again. When he pulled away, he had a rather dazed expression. I felt my cheeks flush, and Billie's lips twitched into a sly grin.

"Sweet Children, you're on in 5," a man said before disappearing behind a door. I smiled slightly up at the green-eyed boy.

"Break a leg..." I muttered, the end of my sentence fading in another kiss. I could feel Billie's hands traveling down to the hem of my shirt and running his fingers underneath along the bare skin of my lower back. Chills erupted and I shivered against him. I felt him smile against my lips, slowly pulling away.

"I'll see you after the show." He said, still regaining the breath he had lost just seconds before. I nodded and smiled dreamily, feeling as though I was floating in midair.

After Mike and Carly said their farewells, Carly grabbed my arm and pushed me out to the front of the stage where everyone was eagerly waiting their arrival on stage.

Upon Sweet Children's introduction since they were regulars at Gilman Street and one of the most appreciated bands, cheers were heard and moshing began after hearing the start of "Going to Pasalacqua".

They had also played "I Was There", "Disappearing Boy", "Road to Acceptance", "Why Do You Want Him?", "409 In Your Coffeemaker", "Dry Ice", "Green Day" and "Knowledge".

I applauded as they ran off stage, and grabbed Carly so we could meet them backstage.

I saw Billie taking a large swig from a water bottle that had been handed to him, sweating and looking exhausted. I smiled brightly and ran over to him. Once he saw me, he wrapped his wet arms around me, them trembling slightly from playing the guitar so long. I gladly accepted the hug.

"You were amazing!" I exclaimed before laying my head on his shoulder.

"You liked it?" he asked, sounding baffled like he did each time I told him the show was great. I nodded, just like I always did.

"Yes, I loved it." I smiled. I stood on my tip-toes and placed my lips on his, congratulating him once again.

"Mmm," Billie murmured against my lips, running his tongue along my own lips before slowly pulling away. He wrapped his arms around my shoulders while I fiddled with the loops on his pants that were currently occupying a studded belt. He pressed his lips gently against my temple before pulling away. "Let's go," he laced his fingers in mine and I followed him out to the bookmobile where Carly, Mike and John seemed to be waiting for the two of us.

We jumped in and Mike dropped us off at Billie's house before continuing on to John's.

"Want to stay here tonight?" Billie asked, pulling me into his side and wrapping one of his arms around my shoulders. I nodded, knowing I wouldn't be missed at home if Reese and my dad were going to be bickering again like every other night before then.

"I don't know about you," began Billie after shutting the front door behind him and dragging himself up the stairs with me behind him. "But I'm ready for bed." He opened the door to his room and jumped onto his bed with a loud thud.

I laughed. "Yeah, I'm tired too." I thought back on how the house was empty when we entered and asked, "Where's your mom?"

"Late shift," he answered in a muffled voice considering his face was stuffed in one of his pillows. I raised an eyebrow before staring warily at my clothes.

"Do you have anything for me to change in to?" I asked shyly, tugging at the bottom of my shirt, not really wanting to sleep in it. Billie nodded and sighed before sitting up and walking over to his dresser where he pulled out an oversized shirt and a pair of boxers. He walked over to me and held them out to me. I went to grab them, but he refused to release his grip of death on the pairs of fabric until I gave him a kiss. I obliged and he fully handed the clothes to me. I changed in the bathroom before returning, seeing Billie in only a pair of boxers.

I gulped, the sight of his bare, smooth chest causing butterflies to swarm in the pit of my stomach, my knees weakening. My heart began pounding as I sat my clothes from that night on the floor near the door along with my shoes. Billie grinned at my reaction.

"I know I'm godly and whatnot, but must you stare at me like that?"

I quickly shook my head and closed my jaw that was somewhere near the floor. Billie climbed into his bed and moved aside the covers next to him for me. I walked over and got in as well, cuddling into his naked chest, sighing happily.

"Goodnight, Billie." I mumbled, kissing the crook of his neck. I felt him kiss the top of my head before muttering a silent,

"Goodnight, sweetie."
♠ ♠ ♠
written and posted 6/25/08