Come Back to Me

Cringe

When my alarm rings I sit up and slowly remember what I said to Alex last night. CRINGE!! I can't believe I said that - "Do you want to see my bedroom back home??" I repeat it out loud, and cringe again. I'm up earlier than I should be, but only because I still have to pack. I know Mel needs to pack, her room is a mess but I don't even know if she's back. I wonder what happened last night, did she sleep in Alex's bed? And did he sleep on the couch like he said he would? Even then it's none of my business, I should never have said that to him last night. I'm definitely not in the right frame of mind for the complications of men and flirting. If Mel likes him, then great, and if he likes Mel which I think he secretly does then great, I'm not going to get in the way because we are just friends.

As I pack I realise i didn't have my nightmare last night, if I did I can't remember which is rare. I have my plan all laid out for going back home. If we time it right I can sneak in while they are both at the hospital, grab some photos and run, deal with the implications later. I jump as my door gets a knock, and hear Mel on the other side of it happily shouting for me to open the door.

"Ok ok!" I yell as I open the door. She still has on her dress from last night, her make up has slid off her face and her hair is messy.

"I wasn't sure if you were here or.." I say, letting her in.

"I only woke up at toms like a half hour ago. I need to pack, quickly!"

"Well go then!" I snap. I don't want to hear about what happened last night. She runs out and I continue packing. Shortly after she comes in, holding her bag and dumping it on the floor. She looks exhausted.

"Last night was so much fun!" She finally says. I've been waiting for it..

"You should have stayed Amy, you would have loved it!"

"Loved what?" I ask.

"It was so funny. Alex has this Instagram camera thingy, I'll get the pictures and show you." Pictures? I wonder just what they have been taking picture of. Mel grabs her handbag and brings out a bunch of what looks like Polaroid pictures.

"Here, so funny!" She says again and hands me the photos. The picture have Alex Tom and Mel losing together. Sticking out their tongues, making funny faces, Alex has Mel over his shoulder in one if them.

"Funny.." I whisper.

"Oh and this is the best one.." She takes them from me and looks through to find her favourite. "This one."

The picture has Mel and Alex standing, Mel is lifting up his jumper and pretending to lick his stomach. Nice..

"Great.." I whisper again. I feel like an old bitter jealous idiot. I should have stayed.

"So are you ready?" She asks, looking round the room and my bags.

"Almost, I'm going to straighten my hair, I hate these curls."

"Aw I love your curly hair!" She moans. "Keep them!"

"No, it's annoying me. I feel like curly sue." As I straighten my hair I can see Mel through the mirror looking through the photos, smiling. She obviously needs this to get over her ex boyfriend. I won't get jealous, he is just a friend. I tell myself over and over as I run the straighteners through my hair. "Ready." I say, packing away a few extra bits of make up that I've put on.

"Great, I'm so excited!!" Mel claps her hands and squeals like a child. Why do I feel so down? I don't have half of Mel's energy right now. I need it. We check out and find tom and Alex outside in a convertible Mini Cooper. I didn't see the car parked outside toms, strange. Alex and Tom both put our bags in the trunk and Alex opens the car door for us to climb in. Mel goes in first, smiling at Alex as she flirtatiously climbs in, and I go in after her avoiding all eye contact with Alex. I'm so embarrassed about what I said to Alex last night. But the thing that I find most annoying is he went back home and acted like that with Mel.