Status: This is for Brinlee, so I hope you guys enjoy, too! :)

All I'll Ever Need

08. Gleam In the Eyes

If it was anyone except Sidney, I wouldn’t have accepted the offer to go back to his place. Truth was, we were both beyond exhausted, and he just wanted to get home and get some sleep. Since we were sharing cars until I got mine, I had a feeling we’d be frequently going back and forth.

He had plenty of guest rooms in his new house—three that I counted—so I got to take my pick. It was kinda fun, picking a room. It felt like when I was little, when we first moved into our house. Back when things were good, our parents opened the door with huge smiles and let Matty and I go.

“Pick a room!” they exclaimed, and we took off running as fast as our tiny legs could carry us.

I fell because, well, I was two. I couldn’t walk that great yet. Matty, however, held my hand and helped me up the stairs. He wanted the room in the very back, but so did I.

Matty had always been one to give me what I wanted, just like everyone else when I was that age. He didn’t mind. Actually, he loved doing it. He did it without being told to, simply because he wanted me to have everything.

Some things really did never change.

Honestly, if I hadn’t set my alarm, I might’ve stayed in that bed all damn day. I couldn’t, however, because I had class and work. Not to mention Matty’s rehab.

When I shuffled out of the bed and into the hallway, I was surprised when I nearly ran right into a tired Sidney.

He rubbed his dreary eyes as a yawn erased the smile on his lips. “Hey there. Did you get any sleep?”

“Some,” I admitted. “You?”

“Not a wink. I heard your alarm, so I figured it was time to get you to class.”

“I actually have to take Matty to rehab today as well,” I sighed. “He has to be there half an hour before I have to be to class.”

The sleep immediately left Sidney’s eyes and was replaced by confusion. “Does Matty go to rehab alone?”

I nodded. “I hate it, but it’s the only time this class was available, and he was already in the rehab at this time. The place doesn’t like to reschedule.”

Sidney’s eyebrows furrowed. “I can take him. I don’t have practice until later in the afternoon, so I wouldn’t mind going with him.”

“Sid, that’s not necessary,” I said, but the idea of someone positive being there with Matty was . . . exciting. What if . . . what if positive was what he needed? “I’m, uh, not really even sure they’d let you go back with him.”

Sidney smiled. “Well, it certainly wouldn’t hurt to try.”

He was set, and I was beyond excited for Matty. He hadn’t met Sidney, yet Sidney wanted to come to rehab with him.

Sidney Crosby, captain of his favorite team ever, wanted to come help him through rehab.

I threw my arms around his neck before I even thought twice about it. It felt natural, and to be completely honest, when his arms slid around my back and held me tightly against him—after he took a few seconds to get over his surprise at my intuitive action—I felt good. Hugging wasn’t really my thing. Affection of any kind was a bit weird for me, but this felt natural.

I didn’t want him to let go when he did, but I had things to do. Matty had to be at rehab soon, and Sidney was taking him.

I knew there were tears forming in my eyes at the idea of something so wonderful happening to Matty again, and I looked up to Sidney with a huge smile. “Thank you, Sidney. Really.”

He seemed a bit taken back by such a big smile, especially coming from me, but he regained his composure and returned the smile. “Yeah, yeah. Sure thing, Mika. That’s . . . that’s what friends are for.”

And friend was definitely something I was glad to call Sidney.
***

Mika was nervous to show Sidney the way to her house. Really, her house wasn’t small by any means, but after all the medical bills she had to pay, it was falling apart. It was probably the worst place in the world for a handicapped person to be, or a man dying of AIDS.

Well, not AIDS. Just whatever illness his immune system didn’t block.

Either way, that’s where they had to go. Sidney remembered the neighborhood the moment he turned onto her street. One of Jussi’s ex-girlfriends lived there, and he recalled all too many nights waking up and having to go pick them both up because they left their wallets at home, too drunk to drive, or whatever else they came up with. She was bad for Jussi, and Sidney was all too thankful after they broke up. The two months they dated was a nightmare for them all.

Mika mentioned she had lived in the same house since she was two, so he found it . . . fascinating how interesting it was that this girl that captivated him lived right across the street from the woman that plagued his life. Had he known Mika before, things might’ve been different . . . .

He didn’t, though, so there was no point in dwelling on it.

Mika told him the driveway to turn into, and the house actually piqued Sidney’s interest. It wasn’t too big, which he kinda liked. It was simple and run-down, but it looked homey.

That wasn’t how Mika saw it. To her, it felt more like a prison, but it was a roof over her head and a place to sleep.

When Sidney put the car in park, he checked the rearview mirror to see if the plague was in her yard, and of course she was. She was always outside on the porch, scantily clad, drinking and smoking her life away. Sidney didn’t envy her at all, despite what she always said.

“You’ll miss me, Sidneeeeeyyyyy. You’ll miss seeing my gorgeous face. You’ll envy my life.”

She was really that crazy, and stupid. There was nothing about her life that Sidney wanted.

Mika pulled the passenger door open and bit down on her bottom lip. “Uh, wait here? I’ll go get Matty.”

Sidney’s eyebrows rose. “You don’t need any help?”

“Nah, Matty can handle himself,” she said. “And besides, you don’t need to meet my dad.”

This surprised Sidney. Of course he had realized that there was some bitter feelings between her and her dad, but he hadn’t realized how much she truly despised him until the words came out of her mouth like acid.

“I’m sure I’ll meet him someday.”

“For your sake, let’s hope not,” she mumbled. “Just hang out here, okay? I’ll be right back.”

Sidney realized he didn’t wanna protest that anyways. If he got out, she might come over and talk to him, talk all about how right she was.

Sidney shuddered at the thoughts and turned the AC down. He found it a bit amusing how cold Mika liked it. After all, he was the hockey player, not her.

Sidney watched as Mika carefully walked up the steps of her porch, which were located right next to the handicap ramp, and through the faded brown door. He couldn’t help but smile, even as she disappeared from sight. This girl was beautiful, and such a simple motion was captivating.

She was captivating. It’s why he couldn’t sleep earlier. The thought of having her in the other room was distracting, exhilarating. Sidney was embarrassed about what happened behind his closed door, but it felt . . . unnervingly natural. Not necessarily what he did, but the feelings he got as he realized she was sleeping in his house.

He felt like a creep, but was he? Was it creepy to be happy that a girl, who he found himself falling for, was sleeping under his roof?

Probably.

Mika slipped inside and found Matty all ready to go. He was dressed in athletic shorts, a t-shirt, and tennis shoes, and he was already up in his walking crutches.

He smiled at his beautiful little sister as her glowing green eyes met his. He knew that look—that just talked to Sidney Crosby look. As much as the thought of Mika getting her heartbroken scared him, he was glad she found Sidney. He didn’t remember seeing her this happy, but maybe she was before he was so selfish. Maybe, back when he was taking care of her, she was as happy as she was now, or maybe she wasn’t. Maybe Sidney brought a joy to her life that she never knew.

Either way, Matty just wanted her to stay this way.

“Ready to go?” she asked, but he knew there was something she wasn’t telling him. The glow was impossible to hide from him, but she tried her best to hide her smile.

If it was anyone else, it might’ve worked, but not with Matty. He didn’t question it, only narrowed his eyes as he followed her out the front door.
*Sidney*

The music was on, but I had no idea what song was playing. Mostly, I listened to the AC run on low as my mind swirled with thoughts of Mika, thoughts of what this was. How could a friendship feel like so much more to just one person? Sure, we didn’t know each other that well yet, but just . . . the things I did know, the time I had spent with her felt like more than a friendship.

I was pulled out of my thoughts when I heard a knock against my window, and what I saw made me groan—rather loudly, though I hadn’t meant to be so rude.

I cracked the window enough that the Plague could hear me, but that was it. “Go away, Cindy.”

She rolled her eyes. “Grow up, Sidney. I just wanted to make sure it was actually you. Why the hell did this bitch have your car and not get arrested?”

I don’t really know why her statement made me decide to roll the window all the way down, but I did. My eyebrows pulled together while mu lips pressed into a tight line, and though Cindy saw how angry her words made me, she clearly didn’t care enough to take them back.

“Get the fuck away from my car, you bitch,” I scoffed. “For your information, that bitch had my car because I let her use it while I was in Sochi. That bitch you’re referring to is the farthest thing from a bitch, so just shut the fuck up and leave me alone.”

“Take a chill pill,” she said, and she took a drag that she blew right in my face—only adding fuel to my fire. “You clearly haven’t known her long. Otherwise, you’d know that’s not true. I mean, what kinda person just leaves her handicap brother to fend for himself all day?”

“The kind that is busting her ass at a full time job while also working for a nursing degree?” I snapped. “The kind that is actually trying to make something of herself, which is more than your worthless ass can say.”

For a minute, I thought she was gonna slap me, but she didn’t. She just leaned against the door of my Range Rover and laughed.

“Whatever you say, Sidikins,” she said through a giggle. “You’ll see I’m right, on all accounts. And don’t hesitate to call me when you do.”

She threw a piece of paper in my lap and took another drag. This time, she had the decency—or brains, maybe—to not blow it right in my face.

“Get the fuck off my car.”

Cindy rolled her eyes again. “You really need to get laid, Sidney. You’re too fucking uptight.”

“And I’m sure you’d be more than willing, but we’ve gotta get out of here,” Mika said from her place on the front porch. “Get the hell off my property, Cindy.”

Cindy flipped Mika off as she pushed her breast implants off my car, but before leaving, she winked at me. “She’s right about one thing. Call me if you’re interested.”

I watched as she walked back across the street, and once I was safe, I climbed out of the Range Rover and looked over to a very livid Mika and a very shocked Matty.

It was kinda funny seeing him this excited, but it was also a bit surreal. When meeting Mika, it was a relief to find someone who didn’t know me. The surreal feeling I got every time I met someone new who knew who I was always felt strange. I mean, I loved hockey, and I loved that I was doing so well at it. I loved where I was.

Being recognized everywhere I went, almost . . . that was the downside. It was the only downside, sure, so when you put it against all the wonderful perks, it was nothing.

Something about Matty’s excitement was different, though. Mika insisted he would have a fangirl moment, but Matty didn’t get overly excited. He got this huge smile, and his green eyes that he shared with Mika brightened a little, but mostly, he just laughed.

“Well, it’s about damn time you let me meet him, you bitch.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The lyrics are from the incredible song Radioactive by the incredible band, Imagine Dragons. I swear to you, I heard the beginning of the thirty second preview of this song and bought the entire album. <3 I love Imagine Dragons so much.

Anyways....I hope you like it! Sorry about the POV swaps so much. There were certain details that needed to be there that couldn't be in anyone's first person, so, it goes from Mika, to third, to Sidney. Hope it's not too confusing! I'm gonna try to stick to either Mika's POV or third, but there will be the occasional Sidney. I'll try my best to clearly mark it.

Also, this is rough. It's late, but this was the only way Brinlee could read it tonight. So I may read this tomorrow and be mortified that I posted it. So expect some grammar changes/wording changes to come to this chapter. x3

So Brinlee? Here ya go. :)

Lemme know what you guys think! Sorry it took so long to update! And this weekend, I'm probably never gonna update. Because I'm going to Six Flags. Twice. :) Score one for Six Flags Membership! :)