Canon

ten.

‘So, I wouldn’t be your friend if I didn’t ask – is Scott the guy you really want to go to your last high school homecoming with?’ Rose wonders as we step into the mall to find dresses for homecoming.

‘Who else would I want to go with Rose?’ I inquire back keeping my eyes on the floor.

‘Niall of course. You can deny it all you but I see the way you look at him when he walks down the hallway or the way you go out of your way to avoid him in gym. You’re falling for him!’ Rose grabs a hold of my arm suddenly, ‘so what are you waiting for?’

‘I’m going to homecoming with Scott, not Niall. Okay?’ I pull away and head into the first store. ‘Can we please drop it?’

‘No!’ Rose fires back, ‘I just want you to be happy and I think Niall could be the person that makes you happy.’

‘Maybe we just focus on the reason that we’re here. Dresses.’

‘Fine, go ahead and change the subject.’ Rose groans in return, ‘you can’t avoid it forever.’

‘I’m not avoiding anything. I just rather not talk about Niall Horan anymore. He’s an asshole.’

‘Whoa, what happened?’

‘Nothing.’ I mutter, ‘so what are you wearing tonight?’

‘Oh right! I nearly forgot all about that, I have no idea. What are you wearing?’

‘I have that new cami and skirt I order from Topshop. What better night to bring it out?’

‘Good call. Maybe I’ll wear that slip dress I bought.’ She replies touching the first sparkly dress she sets her eyes on, ‘Zayn really wants me to wear a red dress.’ She changes the subject, ‘for homecoming.’

‘You love red.’ I point out, ‘you wear red lip stick every day all year round.’

‘I know.’ She laughs, ‘and he’d look so good in a suit with a red tie.’

‘So what’s the problem?’

‘I was just wanting to go more outside of my comfort zone for this one. I mean it is the very last high school homecoming and red just seems so… safe.’

‘You can always wear a red dress that is out of your comfort zone. There’s length, you always go for the shorter one. Try a floor length dress. You always go for the sparkles and glitter. How about you just get the simple red?’

‘I like the way you think.’



After dress shopping with Rose I immediately rush into the house to get ready for tonight.

‘What do you have there?’ dad questions from the recliner.

‘My homecoming dress.’

‘Well aren’t you gonna go try it on and show us?’

‘I will tomorrow. Right now I really need to get ready.’ I say before hurrying into my room and closing the door.

I take a quick shower then throw my clothes on and straighten my hair. I grab a few essentials and toss them down into my purse before going to the living room.

‘I didn’t hear where you were going.’ My dad turns his chair to look at me, ‘you look nice.’

‘Thanks dad.’

‘Where are you going?’

‘I am just going to see this band play with some people from school that’s all.’

‘Define “people from school” Lizette.’

‘Rose, Zayn, Harry, Liam, and Louis.’

‘On a school night?’

‘Maybe but I’ve finished all of my studies and I’ll be back before curfew.’

‘I don’t know…’ he sighs, ‘I haven’t met your new friends.’

‘They’re great dad, promise. So can I go?’

‘Ella.’ Dad tilts his head back calling my mom from the other room.

‘I am eight and a half months pregnant Brad – I’m not supposed to be walking to you.’ She says sternly with a smile playing on her lips.

‘Hey, I didn’t ask you to get up. I was just calling your name.’ he extends his arms out and she sits down on his lap. ‘Our daughter wants to go out on a school night to see a band play with some people from school.’

‘Bare in mind that I have yet to break curfew and I’ve finished all of my work.’

‘Who’s performing?’ mom asks curiously as dad places a hand on her belly.

‘They’re pretty new. You don’t know them.’ I say not knowing who was performing either.

‘Oh?’ she raises an eyebrow, ‘no drinking, right?’

‘None.’

‘Smoking?’

‘No.’

‘Alright, go ahead.’ She nods, ‘I expect you to get up in the morning with zero complaints.’

‘Of course.’ I smile just as Rose sends a text saying her and Zayn weren’t too far away. ‘I’m just going to wait outside.’ I say grabbing my jacket and opening the front door. ‘Bye. Love you.’

‘Love you.’ They call back as I was closing the door up.

Not too long later Zayn’s black Jeep pulls alongside the curb. I readjust my bag and walk out to the car.

‘Nice house.’ Zayn nods as I climb into the backseat.

‘Thanks.’

‘Alright now we just need to pick up Louis and we’ll be headed to the gig.’

‘Hey.’ Louis slides into the backseat beside me and closes the door, ‘absolutely buzzing about the gig.’

‘Same bro.’ Zayn smiles eagerly in his seat, ‘I think you’ll like em.’ He looks over at Rose.

‘I better.’ She taunts taking her eyes from the window.

We arrive at some small building with dozens of cars lined up outside it.

‘Here we are.’ Zayn announces swinging his door open and rolling out.

I follow behind Louis towards the entrance where we were stopped. The bouncer checks our IDs before sliding out of the way. Inside the building everyone was dancing against each other around clouds of smoke in the air.

‘Yeah smokers section.’ Louis shouts over the music, ‘come on. Do you want a drink?’

‘Sure.’ Louis and I go over to the bar and wait in line with other people trying to get a drink. ‘What do you recommend?’

‘It’s all pretty safe.’ He laughs, ‘I’ll order for you.’

My phone buzzes in my palms as we wait in the line. Louis eyes the phone lighting up before turning his head away. Of course – a text from Niall.

Are you at that stupid ass bar thing? – Niall.

If I say yes will you leave me alone. – Lizette.

Are you with Rose and Zayn? – Niall.

No, I’m with Louis. Bye Niall. – Lizette.

I put my phone away just as Louis receives our drinks. He hands me a small glass with a bluish liquid on the inside.

‘Thanks, what is it?’

‘You’ll like it.’ He promises with a smile.

I carefully bring the glass to my lips and take a small sip of the drink. Fruity.

‘It is good.’ I take another sip, ‘thanks again.’

‘Anytime. Do you want to dance?’

‘Shouldn’t we be trying to find Rose and Zayn?’

‘Ah, I’m sure we’ll catch up to them before the show. Come on.’

‘One dance.’ I nod.

One dance turned into ten dances. One drink turns into I’m not sure how many. Louis’ hands snake up and down my waist as he pulls me closer to him. He sloppily leaned against me with his weight.

‘What the hell are you doing?!’ The familiar blonde shouts, I think at Louis or me. I didn’t really know.

‘Screw off.’ Louis slurs tiredly. ‘We’re a bit busy.’

‘I will beat the shit out of you if you don’t get off of her.’ Niall growls pulling me away from Louis, ‘stay the hell away from her.’

‘Get your own!’ Louis stumbles towards Niall and pulls at his shoulder.

‘Don’t touch me.’ Niall punches Louis directly in the face sending the crimson color all over Louis shirt within an instant. ‘Like I said – stay the hell away from her. If I see you within a hundred feet of her I’ll kick your ass.’

‘Is that the band Zayn talked about?’ I make a face at the people screaming on the stage. ‘They’re so loud! Why are they so loud?’

‘I don’t know.’ Niall mutters in response pulling me out the exit. ‘How many drinks did that asshole Louis give you?’

‘Why are you talking about Louis’ ass?’ I curl over in a fit of laughter. ‘Sicko.’

‘Shit, just come on. I’ll take you home.’

I was escorted into Niall’s black car and he jogs around to the other side. Niall slams his door and peels off the narrow road.

‘God I knew this would happen.’ He hits the steering wheel causing me to wince in my seat.

‘Why don’t you trust him?’

‘What are you talking about?’

‘Louis. You don’t trust him – why not?’

‘If you knew what I knew about Louis you wouldn’t trust him either.’