Canon

thirty two.

Greg of all people was the person to call me when Niall finally decided to come back to his apartment. After the promise I made with my mom I sat through all of my classes including gym before rushing over to the apartment. The narrow hallway was dark and quiet. Greg sat in the living room with his socks kicked up on Niall’s coffee table. My heart pounded so hard that it began to hurt with each passing second. I shouldn’t be here. I shouldn’t be here. I kept repeating those four nagging words to myself. I wouldn’t be here but Dr. Werner asked me to pass a message along to Niall. Tomorrow we were having a major test in class that was something he couldn't miss. Her words were: “if Mr. Horan doesn’t take this test, he doesn’t pass this course” – I tried calling him but I wasn’t convinced he even had his phone at this point. Niall sat on his bed staring out the window at the empty parking lot.

‘What are you doing here, Lizette? I thought I was clear about what I said.’ He speaks dully, not caring enough to even look at me.

‘I just came by to pass a message from Dr. Wern-…’

‘Do you think I give a damn about what bird face Werner had to say? Honestly…’

‘Look the only reason I came over here is to tell you that if you don’t come to class tomorrow and take the test – you fail. I know you’re back to your “I don’t give a damn about anyone but myself” motto but you’d be an idiot to throw it all away now. I don’t know what Damon is telling you to do but the guy I know wouldn’t let Damon or anyone else jeopardize his future. The Niall I know is better than that.’

‘Are you done?’ he speaks, slightly offended by my tone of voice.

‘No! I sat around all day waiting for you to call or even come by but now, I don’t want anything to do with you. I’m tired of being disappointed. Goodbye Niall.’

I drive home biting back bitter tears along the way. A sharp pain strikes through my body as I imagine Niall’s face back there. He was so cold and emotionless. If he didn’t say those few words I wouldn’t even known he was in the room with me. His eyes were dark and distant, staring blankly at the wall. Damon was changing him and fast.

‘How was class?’

‘I didn’t skip, if that’s what you mean.’ I taunt dropping my things on the sofa.

‘That’s what I like to here,’ my mom singsongs, ‘any plans tonight?’

‘Well there is this lacrosse game tonight – it’s better than sitting by a phone, right?’

‘Lacrosse? For Scott?’

‘No, God no. Scott hasn’t talked to me since I stood him up at homecoming anyway. I have a friend on the team.’ I explain picturing Liam sitting beside me the other day.

‘Does this friend have a name?’

‘Yes mom, his name’s Liam. If I have to answer another question I just might drop dead on this floor.’

‘Fine. Run along.’ She fans me off directing her attention back to the television.

I take a little over an hour to study for tomorrow’s test before changing for the lacrosse game. I slip into a pair of shorts and a long sleeved top with my Adidas.

‘Where are you going? I brought Italian…’ My dad gestures to the takeout dishes on the counter.

‘Lacrosse game – later! I’ll be back before curfew.’ I kiss Elijah’s cheek before jogging out of the house before my dad hit me with more questions.

I drive to the crowded playing fields then cut along the grass to find a seat in the metal stands. My eyes scan around into the audience but none of the faces stuck out to me besides the Lacrosse girlfriends that have been giving me the eye since I left Scott for Niall.

‘Lizette!’ Liam calls out as he jogs out to me.

From the corner of my eye I could see the girlfriends’ ears stick straight up as Liam comes to a stop in front of me. I had to admit it Liam looked pretty damn good in his lacrosse gear.

‘You made it – I’m actually surprised.’

‘Yeah I thought I’d finally take you up on that offer of yours. Are you nervous?’

‘Honestly, terrified. If we win this match then we’re headed for the playoffs.’

‘Wow so there’s a lot riding on you guys for this one, huh?’

‘You could say that.’ He smiles just as the coach shouts something in our direction, ‘listen I better get back over there but maybe we could do something after the game, if you’re free.’

‘I would love to,’ I agree with a convincing nod, ‘good luck out there.’

‘Thanks.’ He replies before hurrying off back to his teammates.

I look over at the group of girls that used to be some of my closest friends. Elena gives me a thumbs up while Becky smiles approvingly in Liam’s direction. Liam had about six or seven tattoos which was nowhere near as many as Niall. If he had a long sleeve shirt on he could pass for the guy next door that your parents are crazy about. Thank God the whistle blows signaling the start of the game. Liam wasn’t just good – he was impressive. In every play the others would get the ball to Liam with every given opportunity. The entire match I sat on the edge of the metal seat as the two teams battled against one another for dominance. Scott tosses the ball flying towards Liam and Liam sends it hurling into the netted goal. The entire team rushes to each other piling on Liam in the process. Once Liam breaks away from his minutes of fame he stands by the gate in front of me.

‘I had no idea you were that good at lacrosse.’ I exclaim standing next to him after dropping from the stands. ‘But congratulations, looks like your going to playoffs after all.’

‘That is definitely the tone of surprise, I’m offended but thank you.’ He teases twirling his stick in hand, ‘Let me get out of this and we can go get something to eat or whatever.’

‘All right, I’ll just wait here.’

Liam returned in a few short minutes dressed a pair of gym shorts and a plain white tee shirt along with a hat thrown on his head. We walked to my car as people congratulated him on such a good game.

‘Well aren’t you Mr. Popularity?’

‘Not even in the slightest.’ He smirks completely oblivious to all the positive attention he was getting.

‘Did your dad not make the game?’ I wonder once we were inside of the car.

‘Nah,’ he shakes his head as he pulls the seat belt across his chest, ‘He cancelled last minute. Apparently he couldn’t pull away from work, not even once.’ The disappoint was evident in Liam’s voice as he glared out of the window, ‘so – what are eating?’

‘I don’t know actually. What do you have in mind?’

‘Anything. I’m actually starving. I never eat heavily the hours leading up to the game so something drenched in grease or covered in sauce.’

‘When I was leaving my family was eating Italian actually. It’s free so we wouldn’t have to pay.’ I shrug, ‘and it’s covered in sauce.’

‘Hm, I could go for some Italian right now and free food is always a given. Should you call ahead first?’

‘They won’t mind.’ I assure him as he settles in the passenger seat.

It wasn’t long before Liam was hovering behind me as I unlocked the front door to my house. My parents were sitting down in the living room with Elijah in between the two of them.

‘I’m back.’ I announce, ‘I brought back a friend.’

Immediately, my dad stands up to see who was standing in the kitchen with me. Liam walks over to my dad and extends his hand with a brief “hello – how are you – I’m Liam.”

‘Nice to meet you sir.’

‘Good to meet you too. You look exhausted, everything all right?’ he raises an accusing eyebrow.

‘Just came playing the lacrosse game.’ Liam answers and my dad smiles pleased seeing how he played lacrosse too back in the day.

‘Oh really? Did you win?’

‘Yes sir – 3 to 6.’

‘Nice. How many of those points did you get in there.’

‘I’m not the cocky type because I couldn’t get far without my team.’

‘He’s being modest – four out of six.’

‘Impressive.’ My dad pats Liam’s shoulder, which takes me by surprise, ‘make yourself at home.’

I make a plate for Liam and I then we sit down at the kitchen table talking about our plans for Christmas break, which was approaching soon after midterms. Once we were finished we go into the living room so my mom could meet Liam too before I go to drop him off.

‘I’m getting my car back tomorrow afternoon.’ He speaks into a silence; ‘maybe I could drive you somewhere for a change.’

‘That’s a great offer – I just don’t know, things between Niall and me are pretty confusing right now. I really don’t want to make things more complicated or bring you down into my drama.’

‘I understand,’ he nods quietly, ‘I guess you can’t blame me for trying.’

‘I did however enjoy the game; let me know when the playoffs are. I’ll try to catch a few.’

‘That’d be sound.’

‘Alright, well I’ll see you tomorrow.’ I wave as he walks up the familiar driveway.

I didn’t know why or what it was but apart of me felt empty as Liam walked away.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N:

the events of Canon do not accurately represent/portray Niall or anyone else that may be mentioned in this story. I have nothing but the highest level of respect and admiration for Niall and I would never want to write anything that displayed him in a poor or negative light. Anything written in Canon is for enjoyment purposes only, thanks and enjoy!

Canon will be updated on Mondays and Fridays!