Canon

thirty three.

The moment I make it to my room i collapse into a deep slumber. In the morning I get dressed in a comfortable pair of boyfriend jeans and a black sweater with my nude flats. I take the time to correctly apply my makeup and do my hair.

‘Morning.’ My parents take the time to say in unison.

‘Morning.’

‘Will we be seeing Liam around here any time soon?’ My dad wastes not time in asking.

‘Liam is just a friend.’ I simply state feeling annoyed with how he happily warmed up to Liam while Niall is still blacklisted from my life. ‘I better get to class before I'm late.’

The entire drive to school I wondered if Niall would take my advice and show up for the Trigonometry midterm. I hoped that under that hard wall he'd still be the guy I fell for. But then again I knew not to hold breath when it came to Niall. I find a parking space before heading into the building to go to home room.

‘I called you last night and you were MIA.’ Rose chimes the moment I sit down in my seat. ‘Are you and Niall speaking again?’

‘No I went to the lacrosse game.’

‘Wait, wait, wait - you haven't been to a lacrosse game since you and Scott broke up. So is there anything you need to tell me?’

‘If you must know I went to support Liam.’

‘Liam Payne? You have a thing for the star of the team, don't you?’ She smirks pointing a finger at me, ‘I hear he's better than Scott.’

‘I hear that you need to stop hearing things. Now I really need to study for my Trig test unless you want to do it for me.’

‘Message received.’ Rose turns in her seat pulling out her phone.

The final bell for homeroom rings signaling its time to move to the next class. As I was walking to the second floor Liam jogs to catch up with me. He was dressed in a white tee shirt with a light blue button down hanging open and cuffed at the sleeves with jeans and boots.

‘Hey, Lizette. How's it going?’

‘It's only 9-I'll let you know later.’

‘Fair enough. I guess it is senior year and all – at least we’re nearly at winter break.’

‘Very true. It cannot come soon enough.’

‘Do you have any plans?’

‘Every year my family goes skiing with Rose’s then we head to my grandpa’s for Christmas in New York and finally we go to my mom’s parents in Chicago for New Years.’

‘That sure sounds better than Grand Rapids.’

‘Yeah, you could say that. What are your plans?’

‘Gonna spend some time with my sisters in California.’

‘Now that is definitely a change of scenery compared to Michigan. I’m jealous. Younger or older?’

‘Both older. Ruth and Nicola.’

‘Cool, I didn’t know that. This is my class so I better go in before she counts me late.’

‘Yeh, I’m right down the hall. My teacher could be a real pain in the ass when it comes to the bell ringing.’

‘I know what you mean,’ I laugh agreeing with a head nod, ‘later Liam.’

‘Later.’

I walk into Trigonometry to see Niall sitting in his seat glaring in the direction Liam just walked off. Even though he was shooting death glares, I was happy he decided to take the test. An uneasy feeling settled in the pit of my stomach as he watches as I come into the room. God, please don’t let him make a scene about nothing.

‘I drove past your place last night, your car was gone.’ Niall mutters as I take my seat behind him.

‘I went to the lacrosse game last night, Niall. By the way, it’s good to see you too.’

‘Did you have a good time with that prick?’ he says a little louder causing the guy beside me to tense in his seat.

‘I’m not talking about it with you because you over analyze every single thing.’

‘Look, if you want to see him or date him good for you. I’m sure your fucking dad just loved him.’

‘All right everyone – the only thing you should have on your desk is your pencil, calculator, and a sheet of paper.’ Dr. Werner cuts in and I have never been more grateful.

Of course being the smartest person around Niall finishes his test before anyone else then bolts out of the room. I turn my test in about two people later before rushing to the parking lot to find him before it was too late.

You’re blowing this out of proportion right now. I really wish you’d come back and talk to me for a minute. Please. – Lizette.

I can’t do this with you right now. There’s too much shit on my plate. – Niall.

Yet again, Niall was pushing me away. He told me weeks ago that he was trying to be a better person, and it was working for a while. Damon, the slithery serpent came back in his life and ruined everything. I just wish that I could make Niall realize that he can come to me with any problem he has. His problems are my problems. That’s just how this works.

After the day was finally done I decided to head straight home to start on my midterm paper. I come home to an empty house with a note attached to the fridge. My mom was out at some “mommy and me” play date while my dad was working late tonight. I open the refrigerator to get the meal my mom had left for me when the doorbell rings.

‘Who is it?’ I call from the living room turning off the TV.

‘It’s me.’ Niall calls back taking my by surprise.

I straighten my clothes before hurrying over to the door to let him in. He leans against the brick wall with his hands behind his back. He lifts his head up but I couldn’t see his deep blue eyes due to the dark Ray bans.

‘What are you doing here Niall?’ I ask closing the door behind him.

‘I’m sorry…’

‘For?’

‘Goddamn it Lizette.’ Niall mutters grasping my face to kiss me intensely.

My hands run through Niall’s hair briefly before he grabs my wrists with his hand, not breaking the kiss. Niall and I clumsily make our way into my room before falling back on the bed. He lays me down before attacking my skin with rough, wet kisses.

‘I’ve missed you.’ He breathes out in between kisses, ‘I’m a dick and I’m sorry. I’m sorry for everything. For how I treated you. You didn’t deserve any of it. I’m sorry for putting Damon ahead of your feelings.’

‘I missed you too.’ I murmur breathlessly running my hands up Niall’s tee shirt. ‘I missed you so much.’

Niall pulls his shirt from over his head briefly removing his soft lips from my skin. His large hands are placed firmly on my hips as he looks at me for approval. I give him a short, rushed nod squirming under his touch.

‘How long do we have?’ Niall asks coming to a brief stop.

‘They’ll be gone for awhile.’

‘Come to my place with me then.’ He sits up in the bed to stand up.

‘No, I don’t want to wait that long.’ I whine wrapping an arm around his neck to pull his lips back down to mine.

Niall gives in slipping a cool hand underneath my shirt to remove it. I close my eyes as he leaves meaningful kisses along my hot skin. Niall’s apartment was around twenty minutes from my house. Fifteen with the way he drives. Have you ever wanted something so bad that you couldn’t wait to have it? That’s how I felt with Niall. I couldn’t bear to wait another second without his touch. Like an addict twitching for their fix. I desperately craved his mouth more and more with each passing second. It feels like it’s been centuries since Niall held me in such a way and I couldn’t hold myself back anymore.