Canon

thirty five.

Niall and I decided to go to our usual spot, McDonald’s. Even with the grease in the air and the annoying workers with smug expression there was no place I’d rather be. Through the months I’ve known Niall McDonald’s has became something significant in our relationship. This place was apart of us. I loved sitting in the gum-stained booths. I also loved the way Niall would always rearrange the ketchup and other condiments on the table to his liking. There wasn’t a five-star restaurant in the world that could compare to our crummy little fast food establishment.

‘What’s that smile for?’ Niall wonders with amused eyes. His blue eyes fell on me with curiosity as a smile danced on his soft pink lips.

‘It’s about you.’ I grin in return, ‘I’m just really happy with where this is going right now.’

‘Well, so am I.’ Niall quietly replies placing his large hand on top of mine. ‘If only they hurry the hell up with the food. We only get forty-five minutes.’

‘Pretty soon I will have eaten every single item on their menu.’ I joke taking a small sip of Sprite. ‘They need to put our pictures on the wall of most valued customers.’

Niall doesn’t respond, he simply looks at me with short genuine laugh that made my stomach spin in knots.

‘I am so damn crazy about you.’

I open my mouth to respond when Niall’s phone lets out a loud ring. He fetches in his tight jean pockets to get his phone.

‘It’s Greg.’ He groans loudly before answering the phone, ‘What?’

I watch silently as Niall’s entire demeanor changes. He sinks in the booth with an intrigued expression spread evidently across his face. He removes his hand from mine as he tenses up dramatically. He tells Greg that he’d be right there before hanging up. The worker finally comes with our food before Niall sends her back to get paper sacks for it.

‘Is everything okay?’

‘I don’t know yet.’ Niall squints, ‘I don’t know.’

‘Do you need me to come with you?’

‘No, no. Don’t skip class again. I’m gonna drop you off at school then head over there.’ Niall scrambles onto his feet and nearly falls over. Whatever was bothering Niall – I had never seen him this wound up before. Not even when his most-prized possession, his camera, came up missing on his birthday. ‘Thank you.’ He mutters to the worker before leading the way to the glass doors.

I remain silently in the car not wanting to force the subject and push him away completely. When he’s ready, he’ll talk. I eat what I can on the short drive back to campus. Niall pulls directly in front of the double doors to let me out.

‘How many more classes can you miss before they say you cant graduate?’ I wonder looking up at him as I get out the car.

‘Don’t worry about me. I’ll be all right.’ Niall promises getting out of the car with me, ‘I will be back as soon as I can.’

‘Okay.’

‘Be good.’ He laughs giving me a kiss on my forehead, ‘and sorry for rushing out during our lunchtime. I will make it up to you I promise.’

‘Bye Niall.’ I wrap my arms around his toned torso to hold him close, ‘Be careful.’

‘I always am.’

Niall slides back down into his sleek Mustang and slowly drives out of the parking lot. I rush back into the building into the school as the bell rings signaling the lunch hour is over.

‘Hey Lizette!’ Liam calls jogging to catch up to me, ‘how’s it going? I didn’t see you in the cafeteria just then.’

‘Yeah, Niall and I went to eat off campus again.’

‘Oh right. I saw that you two were back on speaking terms and all that.’ Liam awkwardly nods running a hand across his almond colored hair.

‘Like I said, it’s complicated.’ I stiff out a laugh repositioning the purse on my shoulder, ‘How are you?’

‘Good, good. Trying to balance lacrosse and midterms.’

‘Hey Payno!’ a group of lacrosse guys shouts slapping Liam’s back before jogging off in a herd.

‘Mr. Popular.’ I laugh folding my arms across my chest as we walk, ‘you are legend to them.’

‘Oh that is rich coming from you, Miss. Homecoming Queen.’

Liam ends up walking all the way with me to class before saying goodbye to go to his own. Two girls whispered as I walked in the room glancing at Liam who strolled down the hall. Absentmindedly making all the girls want him and the guys want to be him. Liam was definitely our senior class’ MVP. The star of the lacrosse team. One of the smartest guys on campus. The teachers adored him. Everyone liked Liam Payne. Everyone. During gym class Niall still hadn’t made an appearance so I decided to send him a quick text while I was in the locker room.

Hey. Just making sure you’re okay. – Lizette.

Something quick and simple. Enough to let him know that I’m here but not too much to be overbearing. I wasn’t expecting to hear from Niall any time soon honestly. When he gets like this he doesn’t talk to me or anyone else.



Classes had finished two weeks ago. Midterms were over and we were now on winter break for one more full month. Tomorrow morning I would be loading up with my parents and Elijah to meet Rose’s family at the ski resort. I stare at the stack of suitcases in the corner of the dark room. If only Niall was going. Sure Niall and I have been talking since he fled from McDonald’s but not much. I saw him at school but not much other than that. He hasn’t called in days. He told me that he and Greg were going out of the country on some sort of personal family matter so he wouldn’t be able to talk until he got back. I could tell something was bothering him but I just couldn’t tell what. Again, I decided not to push because that never ends well for Niall and I. I waited, impatiently yes, but I waited for whenever Niall was ready. It was nearly midnight when my phone began ringing. Who would be calling at this time of night? It was Niall. Niall never calls me. I always call him.

‘Hello?’

‘Lizette…’ his voice cracks taking me completely off guard, ‘I need you.’

‘What’s the matter?’

‘Can you meet me outside?’

‘Of course I will Niall. Hang on.’ I slip on a jacket and slippers before rushing outside to Niall’s car.

As I slide into the car he wipes his eyes. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Niall was crying. I didn’t think Niall was some heartless robot that lacked the ability to feel anything but I definitely didn’t think that I would see him like this in my lifetime.

‘Baby,’ I speak without thinking but Niall doesn’t flinch, ‘what’s wrong?’

‘I saw her, Lizette.’

‘Saw who?’

‘My mother.’