Canon

thirty six.

The air was chilly and the sky was black. I sit quietly as Niall’s shoulders shake with pain. The salty tears he left seeped through my jacket’s material. Each time I go to open my mouth I would only close it again. I didn’t know what to see to this guy in such a vulnerable state. I didn’t even know he was in contact with his mother. He’s never mentioned her to me, ever. He thought it was one of those things that wasn’t important enough to talk about. What changed?

‘Niall,’ I begin slowly and cautiously, ‘When did you see your mom?’

‘I let that fucking prick Greg tell me it was a good idea. How fucking dumb was I?’ Niall forcefully wipes his tear stained cheeks, ‘I wasted time and money for no goddamn reason. It was all for nothing, Lizette.’

‘What happened? Did you talk to her?’

‘Hell no. I let that asshole drag me to this big ass house in some fancy ass neighborhood. There she was, standing in her perfectly manicured yard with her perfect little daughter. Their perfect little color coordinated outfits. You should’ve seen her, actually laughing and smiling like she didn’t have a care in the world. Like she never gave birth to two kids already. The goddamn nerve of her.’ Niall rants, his sadness quickly turning into anger.

‘Did she see you at least?’

‘No, she was too self-involved in her perfect little world to notice the two screw ups that remind her of the drunk she couldn’t wait to get rid of.’

‘I’m sure she doesn’t think that.’ I say softly touching his tense arm, ‘I just hate the fact that you went all the way to a different country and you didn’t even speak to her. I just don’t want you to have any regrets with your decision. I mean, a flight from here to Ireland isn’t exactly cheap.’

‘I think I would’ve done more harm than good by showing up on her doorstep. Hey I’m the bastard that you left behind before I was potty-trained. Nice house.’

Instead of replying I lean my head on Niall’s arm and place a hand on his stomach. My hand slowly rises and falls as he breathes silently.

‘I’m sorry.’ I murmur barely above a whisper.

‘I can’t believe I actually woke you up because of my shit.’

‘One, I wasn’t sleeping. Two, I wouldn’t have it any other way. You can always come to me Niall, always.’

‘It’s crazy because the moment I landed I knew that you were the one person that I had to talk to. I had to see your face.’

‘I just wish you would’ve told me your plans. Maybe I could’ve been there some kind of way to support you.’

‘Your dad won’t let you stand five feet within me, I highly doubt he’d let you travel across the world with me.’

I stiff out a small laugh in response causing Niall to look down at me. His brown eyebrows were knitted together with confused while his blue eyes studied me carefully.

‘What’s that for?’

‘I missed your smart comments.’ I reply simply nestling next to him on the smooth leather seats.

‘Do you have to go to that ski thing?’

‘It’s kind of our tradition but when I get back you and I will spend the entire day together, does that sound good?’

‘Make it day and night, that sounds really good.’

‘Day and night.’ I promise with a gentle kiss on his lips, ‘it’s a date.’

‘How long will you be gone?’

‘Two weeks.’

‘Two whole weeks?’ Niall groans wrapping his arm around me to pull me closer to him, ‘What the hell am I going to do without you for two full weeks?’

‘You managed in Ireland, didn’t you?’ I tease with a smile, ‘I’ll be back before you know it.’

Niall and I sit in his car talking about everything except his family. He made it clear that he didn’t want to say anything else about anyone related to him. I kiss him over and over until he smiles pulling me onto his lap. With one swift movement Niall’s chair is completely leaned back. I raise a curious eyebrow at him as his wiggles his eyebrows.

‘Right here?’

‘Right here.’ He confirms with a slow nod.

‘What about my room?’

‘Been there, done that. Have a little fun.’



‘I know you don’t like talking about the other people you’ve been with, but have you done this before? In here?’ I look around in his vintage Mustang once we pull apart from each other moments later.

‘Never before you and never after you.’ He replies kissing me passionately.

‘Okay good.’ I laugh causing Niall to bark out his rare laugh. ‘It’s nearly four in the morning. My dad will be up soon for his morning run, you better getting going.’

‘All right. I will see you in two weeks, I guess?’ he sighs as I go to open the passenger side’s door.

‘Hold onto what we just did for now and I’ll make it worth the wait in two weeks.’ I whisper in his ear, peppering his neck with soft kisses.

‘You are never going to get out talking like that.’ Niall warns running a hand through my hair.

‘Goodnight Niall.’

‘Goodnight baby.’ Niall speaks and I nearly did a double take to see if I heard him correctly but I went against it. ‘What’s that smile for?’

‘You called me baby.’ I admit opening the door to get out.

‘You called me baby earlier, right?’ he smirks, ‘I’ll call you baby a thousand more times when you get back if you want.’

I knew if I replied again I would close the door and stay in the car. Part of me ached as I went into the house, hearing Niall’s car start up. I was falling for him, hard and fast. I couldn’t stop myself but then again I had no intention to.

Niall’s Point of View

I watch as Lizette walks back into her house, making sure to wave when she does. I just spent the last two hours pouring my heart out to her but was sure to make up for it in those last thirty minutes. I don’t know what the hell this girl was doing to me. I couldn’t fathom just how she made such an impact on me. I can’t live without her. I don’t want to live in a world where Lizette isn’t with me. It’s like I’ve seen the inside of heaven and I wasn’t going back to my own world of hell. I was all in with Lizette and that scared the living shit out of me.