Status: Updated 4/26/17.

Ready to Live

Chapter 2

Come eight o'clock, there was a musical set to start and no Luke in the audience. He had decided to hang out with his friends and play poker as it was their poker night. I didn't mind. I didn't mind at all. He thought I'd be upset and angry, which was absolutely hilarious when it was the complete opposite.

"That was amazing. One of the best events to ever hit here, well since I've been here."

"And since I've been here. It was amazing. I'm glad he missed it."

"Me too. That man should appreciate more than just sculptures and paintings."

I laughed as did he.

"You have a good night. Be careful. I love you." Mason said twenty minutes later.

"You too. I love you."

After kissing each other's cheeks, I grabbed my purse and made my way out of the building. Getting into my car, I heard someone kicking his car. I immediately ventured to where this person was. This person turned out to be a extremely attractive guy; I'm not saying that I want to go out on a date with him. I'm just stating an obvious fact because come on, am I really gonna want to start dating again right after I leave Luke?

"Hello? Is everything okay?"

He turned around, slightly startled.

"Uh... no. My car won't start."

"Want me to give you a jump?"

"Would you mind?"

"No. Of course not. I'll bring my car around and grab my cables."

"Thank you."

"Don't mention it."

Luckily, the space directly across from his was empty, so I pulled right in there. He had his hood open when I got there, so I quickly grabbed my jumper cables, popped open my hood and attached them.

"Ready?" I asked starting my car.

"Yeah."

It took a couple minutes, but we got his car started.

"This is great! Thank you!"

"Once again, don't mention it." I said with a smile.

"Can I hug you?"

"Of course."

He walked the few steps that were between us and hugged me.

"Sorry, if that was weird."

"It's fine. I always appreciate a good hug."

"That's a relief. By the way, I'm Brandon."

"Sasha."

"It's nice to meet you."

"It's nice to meet you, too."

"Hey, mind if I get your number? I'd love for us to hang out sometime."

I smiled.

"I don't mind at all. I always enjoy making new friends."

He smiled back.

"So, I'll talk to you later then."

"Absolutely. Have a good night."

"You too."

I went home that night happy and thankful that he wasn't the one to give me his number. I arrived to no car outside, but there were lights on in the house. I knew he'd probably be home, but I still frowned as I went inside. I immediately heard sound coming from the bedroom, where I knew he'd most likely be.

"Hi honey." I said for the last time.

"Hi babe." he said, turning around.

He had been changing into pyjamas at that very moment.

"How was your night? Have fun?" I asked with a smile.

"Oh yeah. I won at poker tonight and you know how rare that is." he said with that goofy smile I fell in love with.

"That's awesome. Congrats."

"How was yours?"

"Tonight was amazing. One of the best nights I've ever worked. I also helped someone start their car before I went home. I had never even done that before."

"That's fantastic."

"Thanks."

He took this as a opportunity to kiss me.

"I love you." he said.

"I love you, too." I said smiling.

I didn't know if it was a fake smile or not, as well as this whole conversation. I woke up the following morning happy but scared of what was to come today.

Would he find me?

Would he look at Mason's home?


I shook my head and did my best to dismiss these thoughts and thought happy ones. I was getting out of this relationship, once and for all and actually gonna enjoy life again. I kissed him and told him that I loved him and that I hoped he had a great day for the very last time. I left with a genuine smile and arrived at work with the same exact one.

"Good morning, Mason." I said with my voice practically ringing.

"Good morning, Sasha. Someone's happy."

"I am, but I am so anxious at the same time. I just wanna get it done. You know?"

"Yeah and I can't wait for you to live your life the way you want to."

"I love you." I said hugging him.

"I love you too, hun." he said hugging me back.

The hours passed way too slowly, but when the time came and I was in the apartment, my heart was pounding a mile a minute. We had gotten all of my belongings in that short amount of time, which made me so much happier.

"Wanna have dinner tonight to celebrate?" he asked.

With a huge grin, I nodded excitedly.

"Abso-freakin-lutely."

He laughed.

"You are adorable."

"Thanks. I've heard that a time or two." I said, trying not to smile so much.

Not even a minute later, someone called me.

"Hey. It's Brandon."

I smiled again. I finally have his number.

"Hey. What's up?"

"Who is it?" Mason asked.

I put a finger up, telling him that I'd let him know after this phone call.

"Not much. You?"

"Just got off my lunch break with my friend, Mason."

"Oh. Are you having a good day?"

"I'm having a great day, actually. How's your day going?"

"Good. Uneventful, but good. I was wondering if you had any plans tomorrow night?"

Coincidentally, I didn't since I wasn't working tomorrow night.

"I am free. I don't have any. What were you thinking?"

"How about dinner?"

Dinner two nights in a row? I'll take it.

"Dinner sounds perfect."

"Awesome. When should I pick you up?"

"Is 7 good?"

"7 is good. I'll see you tomorrow night, then."

"See you then. I'll text where to pick me up."

"Okay. Bye."

"Bye."

I hung up and bit my lip as I smiled.

"That sounded like a date. Who was that?"

"This guy named Brandon. I jumped his car last night before I went home."

"That was so sweet of you!"

"I couldn't just let him be frustrated and leave, even if I never jumped a car before."

"You are such a good person. You know that?"

I blushed.

"So, is this guy cute?"

"Oh yeah. Definitely."

"Is this a date?"

"Mason, would you actually think after all I've been through in my life and leaving Luke today, that I would go out on a date this soon?"

"I'm sorry that I assumed that."

"It's okay. I mean, it's gonna happen eventually. I just need time to myself before I even think about dating. Anyway, he's a friend. He said he wanted to hang out sometime."

"Are you excited? 'Cause you sounded excited."

"Uber. I can feel comfortable knowing I can look at all my contacts with a smile, knowing that I can feel free to talk about my male friends."

He leaned in and kissed my cheek.

"I hope you know that you've made my day too."

"Now, you're too sweet."

Entering his apartment, I felt a different aura. It wasn't full of tension and uneasiness; it was very welcoming and positive.

"I love your apartment. It feels so good in here. You know what I mean?" I said feeling free.

"I totally get what you mean."

I squealed, while he laughed at me.

"Hey. I got an idea!" I said.

"What is it?"

"Dance with me!"

"Really?"

"Please? I need it."

"Ok. What do you wanna dance to?"

After biting my lip and looking at the countless songs on iPhone, I chose the perfect one.

You've got these little things
That you've been running from
You either love them or I guess you don't
You're such a pretty thing
To be running from anyone
A vision with nowhere to go

So tell me right now
You think you're ready for it
I wanna know
Why you got me going
So let's go
We'll take it out of here
I think I'm ready to leap
I'm ready to live

I'm ready to go
(Get me out of my mind
Get me out of my mind)
I'm ready to go
(Oh oh oh oh oh
Oh oh oh oh oh)

You've got these little things
You wanted somethin' for 'em
You either get it or I guess you won't
What does it really mean
To get nothin' from anyone?
There's a million ways it could go

[PRE-CHORUS]

[CHORUS]

I think I'm ready I think
I know I'm ready I know
I think I'm ready I think
I know I'm ready I know
I think I'm ready I think
I know I'm ready I know
I think I'm ready I think
I know


After all dancing through his living room and down the hallway, I laid down on his couch and relaxed.

"You know what, Sasha?"

"What?"

"That was the perfect song."

I smiled and hugged him.

"Have I ever told you how much I love you, Mason?"

"Maybe. I love you to death."

That night, I paired one of my favorite tops with one of my favorite pairs of jeans.

"How do I look?" I asked as I saw Mason walk by my room.

"Beautiful. Perfect."

I felt like a new woman as we stepped into the restaurant he let me pick out. After we sat down at our booth, I looked over to the entrance and saw Brandon walking in with somebody.

"I see Brandon."

"Where?"

I pointed him out to Mason.

"Oh. That's Brandon Sutter. He plays for the Penguins."

I didn't know who he was because I don't follow hockey. Looks like I'm gonna have to now.

"I uh... didn't know that."

"I wasn't expecting you to, hun."

I gave him a look.

"Sorry. That sounded bad."

"It's fine. You're 100% right. So, does that other guy play for the Pens? I want to be clear and not be an idiot."

There was just one guy with him.

"Yeah. He's James Neal."

"What positions?"

"They're both forwards. If it makes any difference, Brandon's a center and Neal's a left winger."

I nodded.

"And both of those guys are gorgeous, especially Brandon. He's a piece of eye candy."

I smiled and laughed. He never ceased to say what was on his mind, including when good-looking men walked by him.

"What do you think?"

"I think what you're thinking. Brandon's the best looking guy out of both of them."

"So, he's not just cute. He's good-looking too?"

"Absolutely." I said as I continued to smile.

"Are you sure that you don't like him that way?"

"Yes. I'm sure."

"Ok."

Not even a minute later, they were walking in our direction; they were sat directly across from us.

"I really want them to sit with us." he sighed heavily.

"Me too. You think they'd want to?"

"Of course. You're set to go out to dinner with one of them tomorrow night."

"Want me to ask?"

"If you don't want to..."

I was nervous and he knew; I had no idea why, but I was.

"I will."

"Brandon!" I said waving.

"Sasha! It's so great to see you!" he said, standing up to hug me.

"It's great to see you. How are you?"

"Good. You?"

"Really good. Hey, I was hoping you and James would like to sit with us?"

"We'd love to."

"Fantastic." I said as we walked over to our booth.

"Well, I guess I have to introduce you then. Sasha, this is James. James, this is Sasha."

"Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too. So, this is the girl who jumped your car for you the other night?"

"She's the one."

Then, I introduced Mason to both of them. He couldn't have been happier to hug them; the look on his face was adorable.

"So, Sasha. What do you do for a living?" Brandon asked.

"I work behind the scenes at Heinz Hall. You know, make sure everything goes right during a performance."

"That's cool."

"And Mason works with me too, so it's even cooler. Right, Mason?"

"Yeah. Absolutely." he said smiling and nodding.

"So, Brandon. How are you? I was gonna ask you what you and James do for a living, but I already know."

"Great. Things couldn't be going better."

I smiled.

"Same with me."

Dinner was fantastic and I couldn't have been happier. What would make it better is if we headed out somewhere afterward; it'd be the icing on the wonderful cake of a night we were already having.