Status: Completed. This is the sequel of The First Cut is the Deepest, so if you haven't read that story, you should read that story first then come back here for this story. =) Third and final installment is already up.

Here We Go Again

Chapter 24

"What happened to your hand?" I asked Will the next day before first period started. I glanced down at his right hand and it was bandaged up with white gauze.

"Huh?" he asked as his eyes focused on mine. They were bloodshot and he looked so tired and hungover. "Oh, this?" he questioned as he held up his hand. "I hurt myself."

"How?" I pressed.

"I fell," he replied simply and shortly as he placed his hand back down onto the table. I wondered how he fell to get hurt like that, but didn't question it as class started.

Image


"What are you doing for half-term?" Chris asked me during third period.

"Nothing really. I'm not going back to the states this time, so I'm just going to be spending some quality time with Erin. That is, if she isn't with her new boo thang," I said with a laugh.

"Then what are you doing for your birthday?" I shrugged.

"I have nothing really planned. Though I think I was gonna spend it with Erin doing something."

"It's your 18th birthday. Let's do something." I shrugged again.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Let's get absolutely plastered!" he exclaimed with a huge grin. I couldn't help but laugh at him.

"My birthday is on a Sunday," I stated.

"Yeah, and? We're gonna be on half-term, so we don't have school for a whole week. Come on, let's get pissed," he said with emphasis as he grabbed my arm and shook it. I laughed again before I replied.

"Alright, alright, you drunkard. We'll party hard like there's no tomorrow," I said with another laugh.

"Yes!" he said loudly as he fist-pumped the air. I shook my head at him, a smile on my face as I focused on the homework we were given free time to work on. "Hey, Nicole?" Chris asked. I hummed at him. "Can I ask you a question?" I looked up at him when I noticed his voice suddenly got serious.

"Yeah, of course. What is it?"

"How much do you remember about Will?" he asked me.

"Not too much actually. Although, I am starting to remember that he was such an ass last year," I replied with a laugh. It was true, and I was starting to remember bits and pieces of him and in most of them, Will was being a douche in some way or another.

"That hasn't really changed, Nicole," he said with a chuckle.

"Oh, really? Not much then," I replied with a slight eye roll. "Why do you ask?"

"Just wondering," he replied as he turned back to his homework. I shrugged and went back to my homework as well.

Image


By the time I knew it, the school day was over and we had started half-term. Saturday came and went and then it was Sunday, my birthday.

I had a birthday breakfast with Erin and Skyped with my mom and Eric after that for an hour. Then I had a birthday lunch with Chris and Hayley, and then I was going to spend the rest of night with everyone else. I made sure to eat a bit of food before we started drinking.

Chris had planned the pub crawl with everyone, so we all decided to meet at The Crown pub for our first bar. I had invited Travis, because I didn't want to leave him out, and he offered to pick up Erin and I to head to The Crown. I had even invited Will. He was hesitant at first, but after a bit of prodding, he eventually gave in. Annabella was driving Will, Sara, and James, while Chris was taking Hayley. I was pretty surprised by the fact that Hayley was going, but her and Annabella were going to be the designated drivers for everyone, and to make sure we all didn't get too out of control. Travis said he was going to have a few drinks tonight, so all nine of us were just going to cram into two cars instead of three after the first pub.

When we all arrived at the first pub, we took a big space near the back of the pub near a pool table. I sat with my back facing the wall with Erin and Chris on either side of me. Next to Chris was Hayley, and across from her was Annabella. Next to Annabella sat Will, Travis, James, and finally sat Sara across from James next to Erin. I glanced around me and realized that both Will and Travis were sat in front of me. I didn't think more of it as Chris spoke up.

"First round's on me, yeah?" he said as he stood up. He walked behind Hayley and Annabella before he patted Will on his shoulder. "Come help me out, mate," he said as he kept walking. Will nodded and got up from his seat. He gave Annabella's hand a quick squeeze before he let go of it. Only then did I notice that he no longer wore a bandage on his hand and that it was healing over with scabs over his knuckles. I slightly cringed realizing it would probably leave a couple scars behind. I was all too familiar with scars.

We all made small talk as Chris and Will got our drinks. I spoke with Hayley while Erin spoke with James and Sara. From the corner of eye, I watched Annabella fidget nervously. She was quiet and didn't speak up until Travis turned and spoke to her.

"Anna," he said quietly. She jumped slightly before she turned to him.

"Yes?" she managed to say as she put on her signature smile.

"How are you doing?" he asked politely. I don't know if I saw it right or not, but I swear I saw her smile falter for a second before she smiled wide again.

"I'm doing great," she replied. "And yourself?" He shrugged.

"I've been better," he replied with another shrug. This time I was positive that Annabella's smile dropped slightly. Before she could reply, Chris and Will came back with our drinks. They set drinks in front of everyone except for Annabella and Hayley.

"Waters?" Chris asked them and they both nodded. He turned back around and walked towards the bar. When he came back, he had two waters and a beer for himself. He settled himself back between Hayley and I before he raised up his drink. "For Nicole's birthday." I smiled at that as we all held up our drinks. "Cheers."

"Cheers," everyone said in unison as we clanked our drinks together. I grinned to myself before I took a sip of my beer. After I set my beer back down onto the table, Chris spoke up again.

"And since it's your birthday, I got something special for you," he said. I looked at him in confusion. He grinned at me before he gestured at someone at the bar. In less than a minute, a waiter with a tray full of shots came to our table.

"Oh no. Chris!" I said as I shook my head.

"It's your 18th birthday, so I'm gonna make you take eighteen shots tonight," he said with a laugh.

"Chris!" I exclaimed again loudly. "Are you trying to kill me?" He only laughed again.

"Okay, well, we'll try to get to eighteen. We'll go slow. Just two shots at this pub." I noticed seven shots other than the two I was supposed to take.

"Who are the other shots for then?" I asked.

"You thought you're doing this alone? Nah, come on. We'll be plastered right along with you," he said with a laugh. I rolled my eyes as the waiter placed the shots down and left. Erin passed along the other shots to everyone, except of course Hayley and Annabella.

"Bottoms up," Erin said with a grin. I took a deep breath before I downed the first shot.

"Bleh!" I sputtered after I was done. The clear liquid burned at my throat, warming me up quickly. I glanced over at Will and he downed it as if was water. I looked to the left of him at Travis and he had a slightly disgusted look on his face from the taste.

"Next one," Erin said as she pushed the other shot in front of me. I rolled my eyes before I quickly downed that as well. I chased it down with my beer. "We're gonna get you so fucked up tonight," she said with a laugh. I mock glared at her as she drank her drink. Two shots down, sixteen more to go.

Image


At our fifth pub while doing my ninth shot, I was pretty drunk.

"I'm hungry!" I exclaimed loudly. Erin laughed at me.

"An order of chips!" Chris yelled out in the direction of the bar.

"I gotta pee," I slurred to Erin. This was probably my seventh time using the restroom tonight.

"Want me to come with you?" she asked me. I shook my head, but quickly stopped so I wouldn't throw up.

"Nooooope," I said as drawled out the word. I stood up and walked to the bathroom without much difficulty. After I had used the bathroom and washed my hands, I looked myself over in the mirror. My makeup was smeared slightly, so I quickly wiped it off where it was messed up. I left the bathroom shortly after and accidentally bumped into someone. "Oh, sorr-" I started before I looked up at who I bumped into. Hazel eyes were staring down at me. It was Will. "Sorry," I managed to say.

"Your chips are at the table," he said simply as he looked away from me. He side-stepped me and walked into the men's bathroom next to the women's bathroom.

I shook my head to clear my mind. It was probably the alcohol in my body making me feel like this, but I swear my arms were tingling from where Will had touched me when I ran into him.

I walked back to the table and started eating my fries. I always got hungry when drinking alcohol, so I was practically inhaling my fries. I was about halfway through them when Will came back to the table. At every pub we had been to, Chris, Erin, or Travis were sitting next to me or near me. So Will usually wasn't that close to me. Except for now.

Erin was talking to Hayley at the other end of the table so her seat next to me was empty. Annabella had just gone outside for a phone call, so Will sat next to me when he came back to the table. I smiled at him before I stuffed more food into my mouth.

"Whoa, slow it down there," he said as he placed his hand on my lower back. I instantly tensed up and he must have noticed, because he quickly let go of me. He grabbed his beer from across the table from where he was originally sitting and sipped at it.

"Are you enjoying yourself?" I asked with a slight slur as I tried to focus my eyes and stuff more fries into my mouth at the same time. He shrugged before he replied.

"Yeah, you could say that," he said as he stuffed his hand into his pocket. I noticed he was doing that a lot. It looked like there was something in his pocket that he kept fiddling with, but I could be wrong. Plus, I was drunk, so he could have just been putting his hand in his pocket, because he could.

Annabella came back to the table and was surprised to find Will sitting next to me, but didn't say anything and sat across from Will and I. Before either of us could say anything, Chris and a waiter came by with a tray of shots.

"Nicole! It's time for your next shot!" Chris exclaimed.

"Bring it on!" I exclaimed loudly as I ate more of my fries. All the shots were set down at the table and everyone who was drinking gathered around it. I downed my tenth shot for the night before I finished off my fries.

Image


By the seventh or eighth pub, I lost count of how many shots and beers I had. Everything was funny to me and I was giggling like crazy. I was pretty far gone and Erin and Chris were right behind me. I think Sara, James, and Travis stopped drinking a few pubs back, but I was still going strong. Will had stopped taking shots, but he was still drinking beers. After taking a shot, I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up and saw the blurry face of Travis.

"I think it's time we all head home," he said as he leaned into my ear so I could hear him over the loudness of the pub.

"But it's my birthday!" I slurred.

"It's late. You've had a lot to drink already," he tried to say.

"It's only," I paused and squinted my eyes as I tried to check the time on the wall above the bar.

"It's past three in the morning," he said.

"Oh," I muttered. "The night is young though!"

"Nicole, you've thrown up twice already," he stated.

"Nu-uh! Only once!" I argued. He gave me a look as if to call me on my bullshit, but didn't say anything.

"He's right," Chris slurred next to me. "I'm done for the night," he said as he held up his hands in defeat.

"I'm done too," Erin said as her eyes drooped.

"You guys are no fun!" I exclaimed.

"Come on. I'll help you to the car," Travis said as he helped me up. I sighed in defeat and let him guide me outside. I glanced behind me and noticed James was paying our tab. Annabella and Hayley walked out first and opened the car doors for everyone. "Do you need to use the restroom?" Travis asked me as I walked with him outside. I shook my head energetically. "Are you sure?"

"I'm sure!" I slurred loudly. He gave me an uneasy look as he led me to Chris' car. I got into the back seat as Hayley got into the driver's seat with Chris in the passenger seat next to her, and Erin behind him. He climbed in next to me so I was in the middle and he helped me buckle up my seatbelt. When we were all seated and buckled did I speak up. "I have to pee now..." I muttered. Chris and Erin let out a laugh as Travis sighed deeply. Travis unbuckled my seatbelt and opened his door to get out and guide me back into the bar. "It's fine. I can go by myself."

"Are you sure?" he asked uneasily. I sent him a toothy grin.

"Positive," I replied. I crawled over Erin to her closed door - instead of going through the open door where Travis stood - and earned myself a grumpy moan from her before I got out of the car. I stumbled back into the bar and found the bathroom. I quickly used the restroom and washed my hands before I left the bathroom. I was almost out the front door of the pub, when I felt a hand grip my forearm. I looked at who grabbed me and was surprised to find it was Will. I thought he was already in Annabella's car with her, James, and Sara. "Will," I said.

"I've been wanting to give this to you all night, but I never found the right time," he said. I looked at him in confusion. If it wasn't for the glassy look in his eyes and that fact that I knew he was drinking tonight, I would have guessed he was completely sober.

"O-kay..." I said slowly.

"Here," he said before he stuck his hand in his pocket and pulled something out. It was a small box the size of my palm and it was wrapped in shiny gold gift wrap paper. A red bow was placed on top of it. My eyebrows furrowed deeper in confusion. "It's your birthday present." I looked down at the box in my hand. I went to open it, but he grabbed my hands and stopped me. "Don't open it here. Open it when you're alone, alright?" I looked up at him and he had this look on his face. I couldn't quite place it. Maybe it was nervousness or anxiousness. I wasn't quite sure, to be honest.

"Alright," I replied. I stuffed the box into my jacket pocket before Will guided me back outside to Chris' car. Travis was leaning against the side of the car, waiting for me. He opened the car door for me and I climbed in, Travis following me shortly after. Will walked to Chris' side to the window and leaned down.

"Hayley, drive safe, alright?" he said as he leaned against the car.

"Of course," she replied with a smile.

"I'll see you lot later," he said as he looked at everyone in the car. When his eyes landed on me, they softened. "Happy birthday, Nicole," he said with a smile. I smiled back at him.

"Thanks, Will. And thanks for coming out," I replied.

"No problem. Anything for you," he said. I felt my cheeks flush. His eyes lingered on me for a second longer than I thought necessary before he coughed and stood up straight. "Drive safe," he said one last time before he walked away to Annabella's car. We all said our goodbyes before we left.

About a minute into the car ride, I realized how tired I was. In a matter of seconds, I was out like a light.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm hoping to churn out more chapters since I'm trying to get back into the swing of writing again, so here's an update.
Comment, subscribe, and recommend! Let me know what you think, please! =)