Status: hiatus until further notice (I haven't forgotten about this; but classes are a pain)

I'm an Asshole, Baby.

S i x

"Was I really that drunk?" These were the 5 words Dawn said to me as I was pouring her a glass of water. That glass of water was going to be needed once Dawn took the Advil I'd just given her. You'd think that just by asking that question she would've known.

"Yes," I responded as I entered her bedroom and sat at the edge of her bed. A small pang of pity hitting me once I looked at her face. It was twisted in obvious pain and discomfort. With a hint of...nausea? "You really were that drunk."

She turned over on her side to groan, loudly, into her pillow. It sounded like a sick cat. I stuck the glass of water in her face, the pill in my other hand. "Dawn--'cmon, take your pill," I instructed. "You'll feel better."

Once again, Dawn let out a distressed animal groan, pulling herself to sit upright. She, with shocking speed might I add, grabbed the water and Advil from my hands, swallowing and drinking both. She let out a large breath as she laid against her pillows. 

She really did look pitiful. 

"Sammy," she innocently said looking at me, her mouth already pouted. "If you love me as much as I love you, then you'll sit here and tell me all the stupid things I did."

I couldn't help but to laugh just a little. "Dawn, you didn't sleep with anyone so it wasn't on that level of bad drunkenness." 

Dawn blew out a huff which I interpreted to be a reaction of relief. "Good," she said holding a hand over her heart. "I did not need a recap of what happened last time I had a drunk and sloppy hook-up."

She shuddered at the thought and then sipped at the remaining water in her glass.

"You know he still emails me?"

The two of us laughed at that.

"You did make-out with a guy though, he seemed nice. You did some er--uh, original dance-moves on the dance-floor. I didn't know you were so limber," I looked over at Dawn who surprisingly looked rather amused. I'd be mortified I think. "You yelled out 'selfie' and proceeded to take a group picture with random people. You got friendly with Xavier and--"

"Xavier?"

Leave it to Dawn Hudson to pick out that specific key of the story.

"Xavier who?" she asked.

"I know him, you don't. Anyway you--"

"You know him?" Dawn queried raising her eyebrow. 

I scoffed at her as I folded my arms. "I do happen to know human beings with penises Dawn," I said sharply. "I know men." 

Dawn pouted her lips again. "You know that's not what I meant."

"Then what did you mean?" I asked, raising my eyebrow now.

"I was asking as in were you two bangin'."

I choked on just air alone as an instinctive reaction to Dawn's outrageous statement. 

"No! He and I are not bangin'. God, why do people even use that term."

She only shrugged at this. I however was feeling rather...I'm not quite sure. But I knew I was feeling some kind of way. I'd have my fair share of respectable partners, so the act of sex itself wasn't embarrassing. However, the thought of sex with Xavier, this dark-haired, dark-eyed mysterious specimen was...

Well, I couldn't quite word the feelings. But I was feeling something. However there was a reminder that this man, Xavier, was extremely rude, crass, and cryptic. This reminder mixed in with the feelings that I was feeling at the moment caused a sick feeling in my stomach.

"Well, now I know you two aren't sleeping together," She said. "That's why we ask questions."

I rolled my eyes. "I've only met him 3 times, a food truck, school, and last night. I hardly know him..."

Those last words felt bitter as I remembered the harsh rejection after I had made an attempt to get to know him better.

"Wait a minute!" Dawn exclaimed, sitting straighter than ever. "Food truck...school...it's that guy isn't it! The Mr. Asshole, baby. Oh my god!"

I groaned, now wanting to change the subject. I was seriously cursing Dawn's freaky memorization skills.

I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Yes, him . You met him last night, Xavier."

Dawn huffed, just her lower lip pouted this time. "I can't even remember what he looks like," she complained. "Damn."

I rolled my eyes, stifling a giggle. Dawn not remembering what a guy looks like. Now that is somethin'.

"Well," I began, shifting myself on her bed. "He's tall," she rolled her eyes at my basic example. "He's got dark brown eyes, god, they're so dark they could be black. His hair's dark too, but I swear you can see some blonde in some places."

By now my hands were clasped together, my calves crossed over one another and my thighs pressed.

"I'm picturing a stick figure, Sam." Dawn said dryly.

I turned to give her a look , but then rolled my eyes, standing up from her bed."Well if you'd like more of a visual," I said putting my hands on my hips. "His face is the definition of smug, and sarcastic. He's a living smirk."

Dawn pursed her lips for a moment.

"Hm," she hummed, eyeing me intently. "That's quite a visual, Sammy. So, you two aren't banging at the moment. But, surely there's a later chance of that because of that hot 'n bothered description you just gave."

"I see you're feeling better."

"Don't you try and slowly flip this on me. This is about you and this Xavier-asshole, guy. Together."

"I'm going to exit from this conversation right now, Ok," I said opening her door. "Bye-bye, Dawn--"

"Don't you dare leave this room without finishing this conversation, Sam!" She ordered tossing her comforter aside.

"Bye. Love you. Get some sleep." I squeaked as I slid out her door shutting it closed. Perhaps a little too heavy-handed because once the door shut, she let out a pained groan.

Image


I couldn't bear to be in the apartment with Dawn in fear that she'd bombard me with more questions and accusations.

She means well.

That's what I have to remind myself.

I  had made the decision to drive downtown to ChinaTown. I was sure it'd be a great distraction.

I was right.

At this moment the only thing that was on my mind was that I needed to get to research all the dishes I could make with all the food I had just bought.

I was busy reading information pertaining to  ways to serve fish heads when I realized that I was no longer in ChinaTown. I wasn't lost. I had wandered onto Montgomery Street.

The bustle of traffic filled in the background as I strolled down the street. The weather was nice and altogether it was a gorgeous day. I just wasn't ready to go back home yet.

I was enjoying the day.

I was also enjoying the faint, yet lovely piano playing I was hearing. It was coming from what looked like a dance studio. I didn't give a second thought as I entered through the single door. Once stepping inside I remembered exactly what this building was.

'Javi's creative house', that's what this place was. I realized that's what the old, worn out, and barely legible sign outside must have said. I came here once as a kid, taking on a ballet class.

I loved it. What 6 year old girl wouldn't love to dance around in a tu-tu.

My parents however didn't feel it was the right atmosphere for me so they pulled me out.

The fact that it was open to everyone and had such a variety of the arts was amazing to me then even as a child.

Speaking of amazing , I stood in the middle of the room watching the back of the person playing the melody. The tune was something I wasn't quite familiar with. It could be their own piece, I thought as I took small steps towards them.

I discovered the player to be a man due to the size of the hands and fingers. He was hunched over, seeming to be thoroughly lost in the keys of the piano.

The song was slow, sad. But still managed to sound beautiful, almost hopeful. This had to be an original piece, he was playing with such...emotion. Each key that was hit had such power to it.

He hadn't even flinched when the gray beanie that was on his head had slipped off and landed on the ground.

I thought nothing of it to enter more into his space and squat down to pick it up.

"Excuse me--you dropped this," I said. "You play amazing by the way, it's really great stu--"
I gazed up to meet his eyes as I handed the hat over. My gaze had fallen upon Xavier's face. My throat now felt itchy and dry.

"--It's really great stuff."

Now I did wish I had just gone home to face the wrath of Dawn.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope this update wasn't complete shit.