Status: Completed

I'm Just a Puppet and She's Holding the Strings

"Don't Compare Me To A Sheep!"

"Okay, so we need to plan this all carefully," I said to Pierre as he sat on a stool on the other side of the bar.

It was Tuesday so I was under Ray's order tonight. Ray and the rest of the bar staff knew not to mention my new job as I'd threatened them with almost certain painful death.

"So you've mentioned a few thousand times," He teased.

"Shut up," I frowned, "I'm serious,"

"I know you are,"

"Okay so we need to make sure that there's absolutely no flaws in the plan,"

"What possible flaws could there be?"

"For starters we need to get our story straight and also, because Sebastien apparently 'told' you he likes me, you're gonna have to ask him if he's okay with it,"

"You want me to ask Sebastien's permission for me to pretend date you?"

"Yeah, but you obviously can't tell him it's pretend,"

"... Right," He frowned with a small nod, "Why do I need to do that?"

"Don't you think it'd be a bit strange if Sebastien admitted, in secret, to you, his best friend, that he likes someone and then you turn up with me as your girlfriend? I think he'd be either pissed, upset, feeling betrayed or totally confused, don't you?"

"I see your point," He admitted.

"So, you go to him and you tell him that you've liked me for a while but you felt guilty telling him because of his revelation to you. Then say that I admitted that I liked you and you said that you liked me too but you felt that you needed to ask him because you didn't want it to be weird... But put it into your own words and it'll be cool," I explained.

"Right, okay then... Do you reckon we tell everyone else what's going on or just keep it between us?"

I tapped my chin with my index finger as I contemplated it, "I'm not sure... What do you think?"

"Well... I think if we tell them then there's a higher possibility that Sebastien or Beth is going to find out, and that wouldn't exactly be good. So I think by pretending to everyone would be a better option, but that's just my opinion," He shrugged.

I bit my lip slightly, "Yeah I agree. I think we should just keep it between us, it'll make it a lot more realistic because people will actually have real reactions to us,"

"Okay, no-one else but us is to find out then yeah?"

"Um..." I raised my hand and he laughed.

"What?"

"Can I tell Mia?"

"If you're sure that she's not gonna let anything slip then yeah,"

"Awesome, so when should we announce it?" I asked.

"To be honest, I think that as soon as Sebastien knows, the rest of the guys are gonna know too,"

"I still think we should tell everyone just in case,"

"Okay," He nodded, "Well I can speak to Seb tomorrow and we can arrange something around my place on Thursday so we can tell everyone then,"

"Sounds like a plan," I agreed.

"You scared?" He questioned with a slightly raised eyebrow.

"A little, more nervous than scared," I admitted, "You?"

"Quite a bit worse than you. I have to ask Sebastien's permission," He frowned with worry.

"I'd go with you if I could but me being there will probably make it worse,"

"Yeah, I know I have to do it, if it was real I'd ask him anyway but it's gonna be harder 'cause it's not,"

"Just imagine that you actually like me. Or pretend that I'm someone you're actually attracted to and Sebastien's my brother or something,"

"Dude, that's sick," He grimaced.

"I don't mean like really-" I cut myself off, "Never mind. Just pretend we're real and get over it," I sighed, waving my hand dismissively.

He nodded, "So it's all set then yeah?"

"Operation fake boyfriend is go the moment you ask Sebastien," I spoke formally.

"Operation fake boyfriend?" He smirked.

"Well I don't wanna include 'you-know-who' because somebody might overhear,"

"Sometimes I wonder what goes on in that weird mind of yours," He laughed.

"You don't want to know," I warned.

"Okay, well I'm gonna head off. So I'll call you tomorrow when it's all done and over with to let you know how it went," He announced, getting up from the stool.

I nodded, "Alright then. I'll speak to you tomorrow then,"

We hi-fived and hugged, which was a little awkward over the bar, before he pulled away.

"Drive safe," I smiled.

"I will," He grinned, "Be careful sweetheart,"

I nodded before he walked to the exit and left.

I sighed and went back to work, my mind couldn't help but stick on the thought that this time tomorrow night I could be Pierre's 'girlfriend'.

_Pierre's P.O.V_
_The Next Day_

"Hey Pierre," Sebastien smiled at me, stepping outside so I could come in.

"Hey," I grinned completing our handshake as I slid past the door, "Is Beth in?"

"Nope, she's gone out with her friend, what's up?"

"Um..." I trailed off. I was actually scared.

Why? I don't know...

"Pierre?" Sebastien brought me out of all my thoughts that were about to snowball, "Why did you want to speak to me?"

I sighed, "I think we need to sit down,"

"Okay..." He said slowly, walking into the living room, "Is something wrong?" He frowned as he sat down.

I sat beside him, "No, nothing's wrong, I just need to talk to you,"

"Okay," He nodded.

"Are you sure Beth isn't here?"

"Yeah,"

"And she's not coming back anytime soon?"

"I don't think so. What's this about?"

I took a deep breath, "I need to talk to you about Rachel,"

I wasn't really able to read his face to see what he was feeling, but I'm guessing it wasn't good.

"What about her?" He frowned.

"There's something I need to ask you,"

"You're starting to freak me out, just tell me what it is,"

"Right... You know the conversation that you and I had about Rachel the other week?"

He nodded slowly, "The one where I told you I've been feeling a little something for her?"

"Yeah, well..." I paused for a second, trying to think of the best way to put this, "I didn't really want to tell you this before but new information has come about and it's completely changed the whole situation,"

"Stop talking like you're some professional, just ask me whatever it is already," He sighed irritably.

I gulped. It's now or never.

"You're not the only one who has feelings for Rachel," I blurted out quickly.

He stared blankly at me.

"I was going to tell you but then you said that you like her too so I felt a little stupid admitting it when you said so first, and I really, really like her Seb,"

He nodded, "So what's the new information? Did you tell her I like her?!"

"No, I didn't, calm down," I lied, luckily it was believable.

He let out a relieved sigh, "Good, so what is it?"

I bit my lip, slightly afraid of how he was going to take this.

"She said she likes me too,"

_Sebastien's P.O.V_

I could've sworn I felt my heart stop beating for a second.

"Okay..." I spoke slowly, trying not to show the crack I could feel in my voice, "That's good news, so what did you want to ask me?"

"I... Um... I wanted to know whether it'd be alright with you if I asked her out,"

I think my heart fell a few more inches.

"Why would you need to ask me?" I questioned.

"I thought it was the best thing to do, I wouldn't want to just turn up and announce it when you've told me that you like her too, I like to think I'm a better friend than that," He spoke sheepishly, with a small shrug.

"You're a great friend and I really appreciate the fact that you thought you needed to ask me but really Pierre, I'm getting married, you're welcome to Rachel, it's not like I could have her anyway," I shrugged.

"Are you sure? It won't be awkward or anything, right?"

I shook my head, "No,"

"Thanks man, this means a lot,"

We hugged quickly before we got up from the couch.

I headed to the front door and saw him out before I fell back onto the couch in the front room again.

This isn't good...

_Pierre's P.O.V_

I unlocked my car and jumped inside, putting on my seatbelt and starting the engine.

Before I drove off, I grabbed my phone and dialled.

"Hello?" Rachel's voice answered.

"Hey Rach,"

"Hey Pierre, how'd it go?"

"Operation Fake Boyfriend is go," I replied.

_Rachel's P.O.V_
_Thursday Night_

Pierre had called and asked Sebastien not to tell anyone about 'us' after he left, due to him forgetting when he went round on Tuesday night.

And tonight was the night we were going to tell everyone.

Mia already knew- I'd told her as soon as we'd arranged it- and she thought we were weird but agreed to go along with it anyway.

Pierre was taking me tonight and I was waiting for him to pick me up.

Instead of arranging something at Pierre's house we decided to go out somewhere.

We obviously weren't going to drink much because it was a weekday but we were going to enjoy ourselves.

I wasn't particularly dressed up but I was dressed nicer than I would be if we were just going to someone's house.

And so was Pierre. I found him dressed in dark jeans and a dark brown shirt at my door, five minutes earlier than expected.

"Ready to go?" He asked with a grin.

"Yeah, I'm all done," I smiled.

"Come on then," He jolted his head towards his car and held his arm out for me.

I hooked my arm through his and held him tight before locking up my door.

"Lead the way darling," I bit my lip a little, trying to stop smiling at how smart (and slightly adorable) he looked.

He sent me a wink and led me to the car, "You look really beautiful by the way,"

I cast a glance up to him and nudged into him playfully, "Don't, you'll make me blush,"

He laughed and nudged me back, "Sorry for trying to be a gentleman,"

"Oh, so that's all it was, you trying to be a gentleman? You don't actually think I look beautiful?"

"Of course I do you idiot," He frowned at me, nudging his forehead into the side of my head.

I turned my head so that both our foreheads were together.

We smiled at each other.

"Look, we're pulling off this couple thing when no-one's even around," Pierre shrugged his shoulders slightly.

I looked down and then pulled away from him before getting in the car.

Pierre got in the other side and we had soon reached our destination.

He shut off the engine, unbuckled his seatbelt and turned in his seat to face me.

I swivelled in my seat like he did and shot him a grin.

"You ready for this?" I asked.

He nodded slowly, "Ready when you are,"

"How're we gonna do this? Are we just gonna walk in, sit down and go 'hey everyone, we're a couple'?"

He laughed slightly, "Will that work?"

"I have no idea... It might do,"

"That's not reassuring you know,"

"How about we go in and sit down then we just tell everyone we have something to tell them and then we just hold hands or you put your arm around me or something?"

"My God, you've been thinking about this haven't you?" He smirked playfully.

"No I haven't!" I spoke with offence, "It was just something I thought of,"

"A few days ago," He added.

I slapped his arm, "Do you have any better idea Mr. Take-The-Piss-Out-Of-Everyone?"

He shook his head, "No,"

"I didn't think so, so you're gonna shut up and come in there with me and you're gonna hold my hand whether you like it or not!" I threatened.

"Or what?!" He growled, his tone was very playful.

"Or I'm gonna have to hurt you," I glared.

He leaned in, "Is that a threat or a promise?" He eyebrow quirked, "I've known you long enough to make jokes like that now,"

I leaned in further so that I was by his ear, "And I've known you long enough to say that it all depends on whether you're a good boy or not,"

I smirked at him as I pulled away, "Come on then love, we have a relationship to expose," I winked and got out of the car.

I closed the door behind me and waited for Pierre to reach me. I linked his arm again and we headed for the bar.

"Are they already here?" I asked.

"I'm not sure," He spoke, scanning the car park, "Oh, I see Chuck's and Sebastien's cars,"

"Is Beth with him?"

"Um... I didn't invite her, she might be here but she might not," He shrugged, "Do you want her to be here?"

"Well put it this way, who are we aiming to get jealous here, him or me?" My eyebrows rose at him.

He chuckled slightly, "I see your point,"

"You ready for this then?" I sighed.

He looked over at me, "Stop asking me that,"

"Sorry," My voice was slightly shaky.

I was totally nervous and partially petrified.

Pierre side-hugged me quickly for reassurance before he opened the door and allowed me in first.

"Thanks," I smiled.

We stepped inside and scanned the room for the guys.

I caught a glance of the back of David's head.

"They're over there," I elbowed Pierre to get his attention.

"C'mon then,"

He led me to the table, his hand lightly resting on the small of my back.

I smiled at him and then grinned at everyone as we reached the table.

"Hey," I greeted with a small wave. They all returned their own versions of hellos and I took a seat.

"I'll get the drinks in," Pierre announced before he took what everyone was drinking and headed off to the bar.

"I'll go help him," Chuck added, shimmying out of the booth and going over to Pierre.

"How did things go with Beth yesterday?" I asked Sebastien.

"She came home like you said she would," He smiled slightly.

"Is she still pissed off or has she calmed down?"

"She came in and I apologised then she was off with me for a while but she was alright with me this morning,"

"Oh, that's great!" I grinned. Inside I wasn't so happy.

He nodded, "Yeah, it is," He smiled, "How're things with you?"

Plan of action? Make Pierre the centre of my attention.

I turned my head to the bar and caught a glimpse of the back of Pierre's head before I smiled slightly and turned back to Sebastien, my lips staying in a smile.

"I'm fantastic thanks," I replied.

He smiled gently before nodding as I watched his eyes fall to the table.

Pierre and Chuck came back to the table with the drinks.

Pierre took a seat beside me and Chuck sat back in his original place.

There were random small conversations and ones that everyone joined in sometimes.

"Shall we do it now?" Pierre whispered in my ear.

I shrugged, "Do you think we should?"

"No time like the present," He raised his eyebrows at me.

"Okay, go for it,"

"Me?" He frowned.

I chuckled quietly, "Yeah, they're your friends,"

"They're yours too,"

"You've known them longer,"

"Ugh you're nasty to me," He pouted.

"Get over it," I smirked.

"Fine," He sighed, "Um... Guys," He spoke louder than he was talking to me.

They all turned to look at him which made me feel slightly uncomfortable.

My stomach tied itself in knots and I felt my cheeks begin to pulsate. Yeah I know I'm weird.

"I... Well..." He paused and looked at me, "We have something to tell you,"

Pierre took my hand and locked our fingers.

Because David was sitting beside Pierre he saw us do this and his eyes widened before he began to smile.

Pierre pulled our hands up so they were on the table in full view of everyone.

"Are you two-" Chuck stopped as I nodded.

"Yeah," I replied.

"Shut up, really?!" David spoke excitedly.

"Yeah," Pierre repeated my words.

"OH YES! Chuck you owe me ten dollars," David stuck his hand out in front of Chuck expectantly.

Pierre and I simultaneously rose an eyebrow.

"You were betting on us?" I frowned.

"Yeah, I bet that you and him would get together and Chuck said that you wouldn't get together because you didn't like Pierre like that, but obviously he was wrong so he sucks and now he owes me money," David grinned.

Pierre and I looked at each other with a small smile before we shrugged and turned back.

"Were we really that obvious?" I enquired, actually intrigued.

"Yes," Jeff and David chorused only to be contradicted by the "No," that Sebastien and Chuck let out.

"See, Seb agrees with me!" Chuck exclaimed.

"Yeah well you're both wrong," Jeff shot.

Pierre parted our fingers and slid closer to me before he wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

I shuffled towards him so the sides of our thighs were pressed together and I leaned into him, resting my head on his shoulder.

I have to admit... Being held like this again really did make me feel alive.

_10.45pm_

Due to Pierre taking me and David home, we had to keep up appearances.

David had made a comment about Pierre not walking me to my door, so right now Pierre was doing just that, our fingers very loosely connected but like other couples do.

"What do we do now?" I asked when we were a safe distance from the car.

"What do you mean?" Pierre frowned in confusion.

"Well don't you think David's going to be expecting some form of contact from us?"

"I don't see why he'd think that,"

"Well he thinks that we're dating and you're walking me to my door, to me that seems like there should be some form of contact,"

"Well we could just hug," We stopped by my front door and turned to face each other.

"It'd have to be some pretty romantic hug," I sighed, "Can you do romantic hugs?"

"Romantic hugs? Yeah I can do that," He nodded, "With you? Don't think so,"

"What's so bad about a romantic hug with me?" I frowned, feeling slightly offended.

"Nothing, I just don't see you that way, romantic hugs aren't my strong point with people I'm not attracted to,"

"Okay," I began, "I know you don't like me or anything but every time you say 'I'm not attracted to you' it doesn't exactly make me feel good about myself," My eyes fell to the floor and my feet shuffled awkwardly.

"Oh Rach I'm sorry," He apologised taking a step closer and resting his hands on my hips, "You know I think that you're drop dead gorgeous and that you're smart, funny, caring and just generally an amazing person,"

I let my hands rest on his arms and I looked up into his eyes.

"That's not any better, now I look like a tomato," I smiled.

"A really cute tomato," He grinned cheekily.

I laughed, "Shut up,"

"You think we should... Like... Kiss? You know, just to keep the whole couple thing going,"

My smile faded into an awkward one instead, "Do you think we should?"

"Maybe just a quick one, not full blown make-out session,"

"I think we should just... Never do that, not unless we can't avoid it,"

He nodded, "I agree... We'll just stick to lips,"

"This is going to be so weird," I stated.

"I know, but the quicker we do it the quicker it'll be over," He shrugged.

"Okay," I slid my arms up to his shoulders, "Kiss me big boy," I giggled.

"Ugh, don't ruin the moment," He rolled his eyes.

"There is no moment!" I laughed.

"There would've been if you hadn't ruined it," He pouted.

"Will you shut up and kiss me?" I huffed.

"Fine," He leaned forward and I pushed him back.

"Don't say 'fine' like that! You have to make it believable so you have to mean it!"

"Oh my God I'd rather kiss a sheep than go through this with you,"

"Don't compare me to a sheep,"

"I didn't!" He exclaimed.

I let out an exasperated sigh, "Don't you know how to kiss a woman?"

"Yeah I do, but since when does that apply to you?" He smirked teasingly.

I shot him a glare, "You know what? Fine, piss off then," I went to pull away but he pulled me back.

"No, no, I'm sorry, if we don't play up for David then this won't work for you and you won't get your 'proof',"

I sighed, "You want to prove your point too so it's not just me getting something out of this,"

"Then let's do this," He spoke quietly, pulling me close again.

"Don't laugh," I whispered with a smile.

"Don't give me reason to," He murmured back.

He caressed my face with his fingertips before he took my chin in his hand and leaned closer.

It actually felt like a real kiss, the way he was holding me, the way he touched me, the way he pulled me as close to him as possible when our lips caught one another's.

It was only an innocent kiss between us but to David it would've seemed... Not so innocent.

Pierre and I jumped apart when we heard a loud car horn.

"Pierre, put her down, I wanna get home sometime tonight!" David yelled from the car window.

I laughed and turned to face Pierre, "Goodnight then," I smiled.

He pulled me into a hug, "There's no awkwardness, right?"

"Nope, you?"

"Nothing," He shrugged, "Sweet dreams," He whispered before he headed off to the car.

I waved them off and went inside, locking up everywhere before heading up to bed.

As I pulled the quilt over me I snuggled into the pillow and sighed.

I lifted my fingers and touched my lips... Then I shook my head and snapped myself out of it.

But I couldn't stop myself smiling.

I just kept telling myself that it wasn't anything to do with Pierre, it was just the feeling of having someone again.

But then again... Sometimes, I lie to myself.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All that I am
All that I ever was
Is here in your perfect eyes
They're all I can see
I don't know where
Confused about how as well
Just know that these things
Will never change for us at all

Snow Patrol- Chasing Cars
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------