Status: Completed

I'm Just a Puppet and She's Holding the Strings

"Holy Jesus On A Cracker!"

_Two Weeks Later_
_7pm_

"No," I stated simply as I flopped down on the couch.

"What do you mean no?" Pierre frowned, falling down beside me.

"What else would I mean?" I shrugged.

"Please?"

"I said no," I repeated.

"Why not?!"

"Because I don't want to," I replied, taking a sip of my drink.

"Why don't you want to?"

"Do you really not know the answer to that?" My eyebrow rose and I shook my head.

"No I don't," He huffed, holding his arms across his chest.

"Are you slow or just completely dense?" I frowned.

He stared blankly at me.

"We've been going out for two weeks now Pierre! Two bloody weeks and Sebastien hasn't even batted an eyelid!"

"That's a lie, he's blinked plenty of times!"

I shot him a glare, "That's not funny! I'm being serious! Sebastien doesn't give a crap about us dating so you lied to me!"

"How many times do I have to tell you that I didn't lie to you?! I wouldn't!"

"Well someone lied because as far as I'm concerned Sebastien doesn't care about me and that is why I don't want to go to Seb's house tonight, because I don't want to sit there and watch him cuddle and kiss the woman he loves while I wish every moment of every day that it was me," I spoke sadly getting up from the couch, "So there you go Pierre, that's why,"

I plodded out of the room and into the kitchen. I rubbed my hands over my face and sighed.

That was the most melodramatic thing I'd ever done.

"You know that you're very dramatic sometimes don't you?" Pierre's voice echoed through the kitchen.

I turned around and nodded, "Yeah I do, there was no need for that I'm sorry,"

"Don't apologise," He shrugged before wandering over to me, "Besides, what you just said isn't true,"

I frowned, "Huh?"

"Sebastien does care about you, I know he does,"

"I've taken your word for it before and it didn't turn out to be true," I sighed, "I've always thought that people who wish that they were other people were stupid because they should like who they were but... I guess I'm stupid because I really wish that I was Beth,"

"Don't say that," Pierre frowned disapprovingly.

"I'm only telling you the truth," I shrugged.

"Rachel, you shouldn't say that, you don't have to be anyone but yourself, Sebastien likes you for you, not because you're like Beth,"

"I still haven't seen any signs that he likes me,"

"There's been plenty,"

"Name one,"

"Have you not noticed how he seems to leave the room a lot more when you're near me? Or how he's always looking over at you when you're not looking? How he always offers you something before he offers everyone else? How he snuggles up to Beth even more when we sit next to each other or do something couple-y?"

"That doesn't necessarily mean that he likes me,"

"What else could it mean?"

"It could mean... That... That..." I trailed off.

"See!" He shouted tauntingly.

"Shut up, I'll think of something,"

"If you could then you would've thought of it by now," He stated simply, a smug smile on his face.

I sighed and folded my arms over my chest, "You annoy me sometimes,"

"I know I do," He laughed, walking over to me and wrapping his arms around me, "But what kind of friends would we be if there wasn't little things that annoyed us?"

"Lying ones," I replied in a mutter.

"Exactly," He chuckled.

He squeezed me tight and I did the same, snuggling into his chest.

He pulled back and looked at me, "So will you come tonight?"

I laughed slightly, "You don't give up do you?"

"Absolutely not," He shook his head, "So you're gonna come, right?"

I rolled my eyes, "I'll come but not for ages, I'll just stay an hour or so,"

"You do realise that you're not going to stick to that and you're going to stay 'til about one in the morning?"

I sighed and nodded, "Yeah I know, but I like to convince myself that I did have good intentions of leaving early,"

He laughed, "Fair enough, go on then, go get ready," He ordered before pulling away, spinning me around and pushing me towards the kitchen door.

I spun around to face him, "I'm not getting changed," My eyebrow rose.

"Really?" He frowned.

"Are you saying that I look like a scruff and I should go get changed?"

"No!" He exclaimed, finally realising how he sounded, "I meant that you usually get changed to go everywhere, I thought you'd want to this time too,"

"Liar, you were calling me a scruff weren't you?"

"I wasn't! I promise,"

"Psh," I rolled my eyes and shrugged, "Come on then, you better take me to Sebastien's before I change my mind,"

He grinned and bounced on his toes slightly before he shot past me, grabbing my hand and jerking me towards the door.

I barely had a chance to grab my bag before Pierre dragged me out of the house, into my car and this meant that I had to drive us there.

We arrived about ten minutes later and I noticed that only Sebastien's car was in the drive.

"You know the way you said you wanted to come here tonight?" I began.

"Yeah?" He nodded with a smile.

"Did you mention whether the others were coming?"

He looked at me with an innocent smile... That can't be good.

"Don't smile like that, it means that you're up to something,"

"You see... The thing is-"

"There's a THING?! You never said anything about a thing! What thing?!" I said hysterically.

"Calm down, calm down! It's nothing bad!"

"When you don't mention things before we actually arrive and you call it a 'thing' then it's gonna be bad. Why didn't you tell me before?"

"You don't even know what it is yet!"

"I don't want to know!" I frowned with worry, "Actually I do... But I don't because I'm scared,"

I jumped slightly and my head snapped to the windscreen as I heard a large raindrop collide with the glass.

"Look, it's about to rain as well, that ISN'T a good sign!"

He laughed slightly, "Do you want to know or not?"

I cast a glance to the house, then to the rain which was steadily increasing into a full on downpour before my eyes landed back on Pierre.

"No, I don't," I finalised, "Let's get in there before this rain gets worse,"

As I turned to rest my hand on the door handle, the heavens opened and the rain battered down on the car before a flash shot through the sky and a roar of thunder ripped through the clouds a few seconds later.

My stomach churned. I was an embarrassed brontophobic, meaning I was shit-scared of thunder and lightning.

This night just keeps getting better and better...

"You okay?" Pierre asked.

I sighed and nodded, "Yeah," I croaked, "I'm okay,"

I checked for traffic and then pushed open the car door as another thunderclap bellowed.

I shot, quicker than the lightning bolt in the sky, to Sebastien's front door.

I wrapped my arms around myself, shivering from the water that'd soaked through my jacket, then through my clothes to my skin.

Pierre soon joined me and smiled slightly, trying to warm himself up by rubbing his hands up and down his arms.

Another thunderclap made me jump close to Pierre and grab his hand for comfort.

He raised an eyebrow at me with a small smirk, "You afraid of thunder or something?"

I shook my head, "No, it just made me jump is all," I shrugged.

Pierre stared at the door for a few seconds before sighing, "Have you knocked?"

I rolled my eyes, "No..."

He laughed slightly and knocked on the door with his fist.

"Just for the record," Pierre began so I turned to look at him, "Beth's cooking us dinner," He said quickly.

My mouth dropped, "What?! You fu-" I was stopped in the middle of cursing as the front door opened.

This wasn't good.

Beth grinned at us and welcomed us in.

"You're drenched!" She exclaimed, "Do you want a towel or something? Why didn't you bring an umbrella?"

"It only started raining when we got here, we didn't know," I replied, casting a quick glance over to her, which was accompanied with a smile before I turned back to Pierre and glared fiercely at him.

He grinned innocently at me, trying to soften me up but it only made my glare harder.

"I'll just go and get Sebastien," Beth announced.

The mention of his name made me look at her.

"Okay," I nodded, "Could I borrow a towel though please?"

"Yeah of course, come up," She smiled and headed upstairs.

I went to follow her and passed Pierre on the way, pinching the back of his upper arm.

Trust me, it hurts like hell.

"OW! FUCKING HELL!!" He yelped loudly.

Beth spun around on the stairs, "What's wrong?"

"What was that for?!" Pierre gaped at me, rubbing the skin that I'd pinched as he whined slightly.

"You know what it was for," I pointed accusingly at him.

"That hurt!!" He whimpered.

"Good!" I shot back.

"What's all the shouting?" Sebastien's voice joined in.

"Rachel and Pierre are here," Beth laughed.

"Oh, that explains it," He joked.

"He deserved it this time," I said in my defence.

"You always think he deserves it," Beth giggled.

"That's because he does," I shrugged.

"But it hurt this time!" He whinged.

"That's because you deserved it more!"

"Alright children, calm down," Beth intervened, "C'mon Rach, let's get you a towel,"

I nodded and followed her up, before casting a glance back to Pierre who pouted adorably at me.

I couldn't help but smile.

"You know where the towels are," Beth pointed to the bathroom, "I'm gonna go check on dinner before those two get hold of it," She then wandered back downstairs.

I slipped into the bathroom and grabbed a towel from the shelf, beginning to wipe my face and dry off my soaking wet hair.

I jumped slightly when I felt arms wrap around my waist.

"Holy Jesus on a cracker!" I breathed.

I heard Pierre chuckle in my ear, "You have the strangest sayings,"

"I know, but they amuse people so it's all good,"

His front was pressed up against my back as he held me tightly.

"I'm sorry," He whispered.

"What for?" I frowned.

"For not telling you," He murmured.

"Don't apologise, I overreacted," I sighed, "I'm sorry for pinching you,"

"You should be, that freakin' hurt," He whimpered.

I smirked devilishly, "That's why I aimed there,"

He bumped our heads together gently, "Evil,"

I giggled and turned my head, pressing my lips to his cheek.

"You don't need to act up, no-one's here to see us,"

"I'm not acting up," I whispered, "You deserve it,"

"I do?" He frowned in confusion.

"For apologising," I agreed.

"I'm sorry," He smirked.

I laughed, "You think you're funny," I spun out of his arms and took his hand.

"I am funny," He grinned, "Besides, you laughed,"

I rolled my eyes and pulled him out of the bathroom, "I was laughing at you, not with you,"

"Thanks," He sighed sarcastically.

_Two Hours Later_

"That was so good," I sat back in my chair, holding my fully satisfied stomach, "Beth, please teach me to cook,"

Beth chuckled lightly, "I don't really know how to, I just follow the cook book and hope for the best,"

"The last time I did that I almost burnt down the kitchen,"

The three of them laughed and Sebastien excused himself, claiming he needed the toilet.

As Beth started gathering the plates, Pierre stopped her.

"Let me do that," He began.

"Oh no it's okay, I'll do it," Beth refused.

"You've been cooking all day, relax, I'll sort it. And Sebastien will wash up when he gets down here," Pierre replied.

"You'll have to convince him of that," Beth rolled her eyes.

"I'll make him," Pierre spoke authoritatively, winking at me as I thanked him for taking my plate.

"He's such a gentleman," She complimented as Pierre left the room.

"I know," I laughed.

"You've got yourself a fantastic man," She smiled.

I bit my lip as my face went slightly red before I nodded, "Yeah,"

"I've been saying to Seb ever since I met you at our engagement party that you and Pierre would get together some day, I knew you liked him," She continued.

"Was it really that obvious?" I sighed with a small embarrassed smile.

"I thought it as soon as I saw you two together," She replied.

"The storm's getting worse," Sebastien cut in as he came back into the room.

"Shut up, is it?" I frowned with worry.

"Yeah, the rain is so bad now, you can really feel the rumbling from the thunder upstairs," He nodded as he sat back in his chair.

"Do you know if the forecast said it was gonna ease up?"

"I think it said it was going to get worse to be honest," Sebastien answered.

"That's not good," I breathed, "I'm sorry, I'm gonna have to go," I got up from the table.

"Why?" Sebastien's eyebrow rose.

"Because I-" I paused as I saw a flash of light through the window, "I... I just need to get home,"

I headed into the hall and pulled on my jacket, "I'm sorry; I just really need to go,"

"Where are you off to?" Pierre arrived in the hallway, his arms crossed and an eyebrow raised.

"I'm going home," I replied as I pulled open the door.

I stopped as I stared at the rain that seemed as if someone were sitting on the clouds, throwing bucket loads of water from it.

There was another lightning flash and a huge crash of thunder.

"You sure about that?" Pierre's voice murmured to me and I could hear the smirk in his voice.

"I can't drive in that," I sighed.

"Then I guess you'll have to wait until it lets up then, won't you?" Pierre shrugged.

"But I need to get home," I whined.

"Then give me your keys and I'll drive you home,"

"You are SO not driving my car,"

"Why not?"

"Because I said so,"

"That's not a good enough reason,"

"Okay then, you're not driving my car because you're not insured to drive it and in this weather you're about fifty times more likely to crash, that a good enough reason for you, love?"

He nodded and smiled at me, "Yeah, I guess that'll do,"

I sent him a smug smile.

"I guess I'll just have to phone a taxi," I sighed.

"Why don't you just stay here the night?" Beth suggested.

"What?" I frowned.

"Well you can't drive home in that, you won't let Pierre drive you, Sebastien and I have had a bit to drink so we can't drive you. I doubt that you want to stay up until this eases up because it doesn’t look like that is going to be any time soon," Beth shrugged, "You might as well just stay here, we have two spare rooms, or one if you prefer, and I can lend you some of my clothes, we're about the same size,"

"She makes a good point," Pierre added.

"Are you sure that we wouldn't be intruding?"

"I'm completely certain," She nodded with a smile.

"Okay," I agreed, "Thanks,"

"You're welcome," She smiled.

_11:30pm_

At the moment, I was snuggled up to Pierre like a little child, my eyes drooping but snapping open every so often when a thunder noise rippled through the house.

I was completely knackered but the damn thunder wouldn't let me sleep.

I felt Pierre's lips against my head.

"You should go to bed," He whispered.

"I can't be bothered," I sighed, my voice slightly hoarse.

He chuckled slightly, "Are we sleeping separately or together tonight?"

I shrugged. "Whatever, you choose,"

"I think we should sleep separately, if they say anything then we can just say we've only been dating for a little while or something,"

"We don't have to give them a reason; I doubt they'll ask for one," I spoke sleepily.

"I'll take your word for it, you're the people person," He replied.

I laughed briefly and airily, I couldn't muster up the energy to even speak.

"Why are you so tired?"

"I have no idea,"

"C'mon," He began, going to get up.

I whined, "No, no, no," I pulled him back down and kept my head on his chest, "Stay here, you're comfortable and warm," I wrapped his arms back around me. He pulled my close and rested his head on mine.

"Am I your private pillow then?"

"Hell yes," I mumbled.

My head moved slightly as he laughed.

I smiled a little when I felt him running his fingers through my hair and I felt myself drifting to sleep.

And again the thunder woke me up...

I groaned and sat up.

"What's wrong?" Pierre frowned.

"The thunder won't let me sleep,"

He pouted, "Aw, poor Rachy," He brushed some stray hairs from my face, tucking them behind my ear.

"Thanks for the sympathy,"

He chuckled, "You're welcome,"

I leaned my head on his shoulder, "Tell it to shut up," I complained.

"Thunder, Rachel doesn't like you, shut up,"

I looked up at him with a smile and he tilted his head down, his nose touching mine as our eyes locked.

"It didn't work," I whispered.

"I did my best," He murmured.

"Thank you for trying,"

"Anything for you," He grinned cheekily and rested his forehead on mine.

"Here you go, Pierre," Sebastien came in and caused Pierre and I to pull apart as he held out Pierre's drink.

"Where's Beth gone?" I asked.

"Up to make your beds,"

"I think I'm gonna go help her," I spoke, about to get up.

"No need, here she is," Sebastien replied as there was a sound of footsteps down the stairs.

"Your beds are all done," Beth grinned happily.

"Thanks, I think I'm gonna go to bed, I'm shattered," I announced.

Sebastien held out a hand for me and I stared at it for a second.

I placed my hand in his and he pulled me up to my feet.

"Thanks," I smiled.

"You're welcome," His smile was a shy one.

I jumped when another clap of thunder bellowed.

"I guess you were right honey," Beth began to Sebastien, "The storm is getting worse,"

Great...

I guess that puts sleep out of the window.

_3am_

This storm is ridiculous.

It's been raining, thundering and lightning since half past seven off and on.

I'd never known a storm this bad before. I was surprised the street hadn't flooded.

I was cowering under my quilt at the moment, my face shoved into the mattress and my arms wrapped around myself as I tried to block out the sound of the thunder.

I'm twenty-five years old and I'm afraid of thunder. God, I need to grow up.

I'm knackered but at the same time I'm wide awake.

I am NEVER going to get to sleep like this. I need something to take my mind off it.

And so I sat there for half an hour singing and humming to myself, thinking completely random thoughts and trying my best to keep my mind off other things.

But that didn't work either.

"This is USELESS!" I huffed exasperatedly, staying quiet so that I didn't wake anyone.

Another thunder roar sent a fearful shiver down my spine.

I sighed and grabbed my pillow, clutching it to my chest and trying to block out the sound of thunder.

I closed my eyes but it didn't help me sleep.

A shaky breath left my lips and I sat up from my bed, staring at the maroon curtains that covered the window.

I threw the quilt off me and swung my legs off the bed, allowing myself a few seconds to get used to the sudden rush of cold.

Shivering slightly, I got to my feet and crept out of my room onto the landing.

The first door that I came to I carefully turned the handle and peeked inside.

I saw Sebastien and Beth cuddled tight together and it brought a smile to my face.

But it also brought a sickly, jealous feeling swirling in my stomach.

I closed the door quietly again and tip-toed down the hallway again to the next door.

I slid myself inside and closed the door behind me.

Nervously biting my lip as a flash of lightning sent a glow across the room, I stepped slowly over to the bed.

A smile swept across my face when I saw Pierre sleeping soundly. I could see his eyes moving, telling me that he was dreaming.

But then his eyelids flickered open and those beautiful chocolate brown irises landed on me.

His hand shot up to his chest, "Jesus Christ, you gave me a heart attack," He cried quietly.

"Sorry," I whispered.

"It's okay, what's wrong?" He questioned sleepily, his voice a bit croaky.

I sighed and rolled my eyes, "The um... The thunder," I admitted.

"What about it? Are you scared of it or something?" My eyes had adjusted to the dark enough for me to see his eyebrow rise.

I cleared my throat, shuffling my feet and Pierre knew his answer though I hadn't admitted.

"You wanna sleep here tonight, right?" He asked.

"Could I?"

He lifted the quilt, "Of course sweetheart,"

I smiled and slid into bed beside him. He covered me with the quilt and his arm flopped over me sleepily.

I wrapped my arms around him in a hug and he inched over to me so we were pressed together in order to comfort me.

My head was resting on the upper part of his bare chest (He didn't borrow any pyjamas from Sebastien, he chose to sleep in his underwear) and he lightly rested his chin on my head.

There was a flash of lightning and another thunder growl, making me wince and hold Pierre tighter.

He rubbed my back gently, "Shh, it's okay, it's not gonna hurt you,"

"It sounds really close," I worried, "What if it hits the house?"

He chuckled slightly, "It won't hit the house,"

"It might,"

"I promise you it won't,"

I looked up at him and he tilted his head down to catch my gaze, our noses touching.

He smirked playfully at me and blew in my face forcing me to flinch.

"Hey!" I whined, rubbing at my eyes.

I slapped his chest but the noise was much more forceful than usual.

"Ouch!" He complained painfully, rubbing his chest.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to hit you that hard!"

He pouted at me, "That hurt,"

"I'm sorry," I whispered, running my hand over where I'd hit him.

"You're determined to hurt me aren't you?"

"No, I'm not, I swear,"

"Ow," He mumbled under his breath, wrapping his arms back around me.

I caught his gaze again and then looked down at his chest, not able to see the red mark that I was sure was going to form.

I smiled up at him then leaned my forehead against his chest before pressing my lips to it.

He chuckled lightly, "What are you doing?"

"I'm kissing your chest better," I whispered before I looked back up at him.

I smiled slightly but as we stared, it faded.

"It still hurts a bit," He murmured seriously.

The corner of my mouth twitched into a small smile and I brushed my lips against the skin of his chest again. Then once more but firmer.

Pierre put two fingers underneath my chin and lifted my head up to look at him.

He brushed some hairs out of my face and I moved further up so I was face to face with him.

My heart smashed against my ribcage and my stomach churned as I felt his hand push against my back, forcing use as close together as possible.

I bit down on my lip and he leaned forward and kissed my nose.

I slid my hand up to his neck as he pulled away but I pulled him back, crushing our lips together.

This time it was a proper kiss. He meant it and I meant it. There was no-one to act up to.

And all my insides went gooey.

My heart felt warm and I felt wanted.

I smiled into the kiss and I felt him smile back.

I pulled him closer and we both went to deepen the kiss at the same time.

He moved so that he was hovering over me and I was lying on my back.

His hands were running over and through my hair.

We pulled back a few seconds later and he looked down at me, smiling unsurely.

I grinned and leaned up on my elbows, briefly touching our lips again before pulling away.

"Goodnight Pierre," I smiled.

He fell back onto the bed and pressed his front to my back, wrapping his arms around me.

He kissed my shoulder and settled his head back onto the pillow.

"Sweet dreams, Rach,"

And for the rest of the night, the thunder didn't bother me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know, how to feel
Let the words, come easily to me
You seem lost, in your thoughts
I find it hard to breathe
Why don't you tell me what it is?
It's driving me crazy
Trying to second guess you

Dean Geyer- If You Don't Mean It

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------