Status: In Process

If You Tell Me to Stay, I Will Stay Right Through

Live A Life So Endlessly

“So Johnny,” I began as I opened my laptop. He looked over at me curiously as he rummaged through Jimmy’s fridge.

“Yes?” He blinked.

I patted the seat next to me at the kitchen table. He gave me a confused look before walking over and plopping down next to me.

“It’s time to fill out your college application,” I smiled warmly.

“My-my what?” His face paled and I bit back a grin.

“Your college application silly. You said you were planning on enrolling right?” I nudged him gently.

He nodded his head slowly, he made it look so painful. “But we’re going on tour, remember?”

“Oh that’s okay, you can take basic courses online,” I smiled.

“B-but…I…well…SHADOWS!!!” He suddenly yelled making me jump.

“What’s wrong Johnny?” I asked him nicely.

“Um well…I was just gonna ask Matt’s opinion ya know? Just-uhh-just to see what he thinks!” He lied straight through his teeth.

“What Short Shit?” Matt asked as he strolled over to Jimmy’s fridge, pulling out a beer.

“Well, Natty here is being so nice and ENROLLING ME INTO COLLEGE. Isn’t that great?!” Johnny eyes shot daggers into Matt’s back.

Matt threw his head back and laughed.

“Am I missing something here?” I asked looking at Johnny. How long before they admitted to lying? My bet was that they were going to make poor Johnny take courses.

“Absolutely not. Johnny here would LOVE to go to college. Wouldn’t you Johnny?” Matt’s eyes shined with mischief.

“DUDE.” Johnny said and then shot me a quick reassuring smile before glaring back at Matt. “We’re going on tour REMEMBER?”

“But Johnny, I just told you that you can take these classes online,” I reminded him. He looked like he was ready to vomit.

“BUT Shadz here thinks I should stay completely focused on the tour, right Matt?” Johnny argued.

Matt, however, wasn’t going to back him up on this one.

“Dude, we sit on the bus for hours without doing anything.”

“GATES!!! Come here please!!” Johnny yelled glaring at Matt.

“What do you need Brian for?” I questioned innocently. Matt shot me a look. Something seemed to have clicked in his head because he shuffled his feet nervously. He was clearly debating whether I knew about the lie or not.

“I just want a second opinion,” Johnny smiled forcefully.

“You mean a third? You already asked Matt and I.”

“What?” Brian walked in.

“Natalie is trying to enroll Short Shit in school,” Matt laughed. Brian tried to hide his grin behind his beer.

“It’s okay to be nervous Johnny,” I patted his back comfortingly.

Johnny’s head shot towards Matt and Brian, giving them a pleading look.

“Brian and Matt have something to tell you,” Johnny turned the tables with a smile.

Brian choked on his beer and Matt gave him a ‘shut-the-fuck-up’ look.

“Well what is it?” I asked them. The three of them looked at each other, probably trying to think of the best excuse.

“Johnny didn’t finish high school,” Brian blurted out. Johnny sat back and sighed happily.

“Well that’s okay. You can get your GED online. So we’ll start that process and take it from there,” I smiled reassuringly at him.

“Yeah dude, we’ll all—uh help….you,” Brian sent him a toothy grin.

“I can help you Johnny,” I assured him.

“You can help me too,” Matt winked at me.

I rolled my eyes before standing and giving Johnny a reassuring pat.

“Fuck you both man…fuck you both,” Johnny muttered putting his head on the table. Brian and Matt grinned. I smiled at them and winked, instantly making their grins disappear.

I stood and made my way out of the kitchen.

As soon as I stepped out Matt whispered, “She knows.”

“No fucking shit,” Brian muttered. “Sorry Short Shit.” To my surprise he actually sounded sincere.

“Yeah whatever, you guys owe me big time,” Johnny replied miserably.

I grinned victoriously and turned around to head upstairs, instead I ran straight into Zacky’s chest.

“Eavesdropping are we?” He smiled arching his eyebrow.

“Absolutely not,” I replied.

“Right, I was standing here the whole time.”

“I have homework to do,” I said stepping around him.

“Not so fast,” he held his arm out to stop me. “Let’s be real here. You know.”

“I know what?” I asked innocently.

Zacky rolled his eyes. “YOU KNOW what I mean.”

“Fine. I do. But that’s what you guys get for lying to me,” I argued back.

“Hey, your secret is safe with me. I’m all about raining on Short Shit’s parade,” He grinned. “Sorry we lied though. It’s only because we care. Especially Matt,” he said sincerely.

I nodded. “Well…you better not tell him that I know,” I warned.

He pretended to zip his lips, before heading into the kitchen with a smile on his face.

I went upstairs, there was a phone call I needed to make.

I needed to call chief and let him know that I had been contacted by Mr. Wannabe Bad Guy.

I quickly called and put it on speaker, too lazy to hold my phone up to my ear.

“Bauer,” he answered on the third ring.

“How’s it going?”

“Ehh it’s going. Sure do miss having you around though. Definitely not the same.”

“Yeah, I miss ya’ll too,” I replied. And I did miss them. They had always been like family to me. My door quietly opened. I caught Matt’s reflection in the mirror and I rolled my eyes. He walked past me and plopped down on my bed resting his arm behind his head and shooting me a grin.

“So what’s new?” Chief’s deep voice rang out through the speaker. Matt instantly froze. What was his problem?

“Well I got contacted, and he threatened me….you know, the usual shit,” I explained to him with a sigh.

“Ahhh he got your number. Interesting. I guess it was only a matter of time. I’ll let the detectives know. Keep your eyes open. Remember this guy is no joke,” He reminded me.

“I know. Tell everyone I said hi,” I grinned.

“Will do. We miss seeing your beautiful self around here,” he said softly.

Matt arched an eyebrow and gave me a ‘what the fuck?’ look.

Chief, however, did not mean it that way at all…but I was going to let Matt think that anyway.

“Maybe I can come down soon and see you,” I grinned. Matt swiftly stood up and walked up to me crossing his arms over his chest. I gave him a look before turning my back to him.

“Please do. It would be nice to see you,” Chief said happily.

“For sure. Talk to you soon,” I smiled.

“Take care,” he said before hanging up.

“What was that about?” Matt immediately asked.

I shrugged as I turned around to face him again, “What do you mean?”

“He was flirting with you.”

I laughed loudly as I tried to walk around him. He stepped in front of me again. “It’s not funny Natalie.
Do you have a history with him or something??” He demanded to know.

“Of course not! That’s why I’m laughing! He was my boss Matt,” I rolled my eyes.

“A boss doesn’t talk like that to his employees,” he argued.

“Oh really? Isn’t that what you do?”

“That’s different and you know it!” He said angrily.

“Matt. Are you seriously mad right now? There’s nothing going on okay? He’s like an older brother,” I said shaking my head.

“Older brother my ass,” He muttered under his breath. “You need to make it clear that you’re taken.”

“But….I’m not,” I said giving him a bewildered look.

“Yes you are Natalie,” He glared.

“No, I’m not.”

“Yes you fucking are. You tell him or I will tell him myself,” He threatened.

“You have no right to do that,” I objected with a smile.

“Oh yes I do. I will call his ass right now,” He growled, pacing in front of me.

“Are you jealous?”

“No shit!!!” He exclaimed throwing his hands up.

I was trying so hard not to smile. This made me feel good.

“Well you have no reason to be okay? Trust me,” I assured him.

“But you will tell him right?” He asked worriedly.

This time I couldn’t hold it back. I grinned widely. “Yeah I’ll tell him. Even though it’s not really true.”

“But it will be true soon so whatever, close enough,” He growled. His muscles bulged from under his shirt making him look so damn sexy. Maybe I should make him jealous more often.

“Okay. We’ll see.”

“Yes we fucking will,” He growled sending me one more glare before storming out. “And pack your things. This tour is starting earlier than planned.” He slammed the door shut. I heard his heavy footsteps angrily make their way downstairs.

It was amusing to me how jealous he had gotten. I wondered what he meant about “soon.” Was he planning on asking me out? I ran this over and over in my head as I began packing. I was willing to bet that there would not be a dull moment on this tour.

The next day, I was woken up bright and early by none other than Jimmy.

“Okay Nat, time to get up! Larry is here to discuss some things with you,” He smiled brightly.

I nodded sleepily and made my way to the bathroom to make myself look decent.

With my hair up in a bun and no make up (because I didn’t want to keep Larry waiting) I made my way downstairs.

“Nat this is Larry. Larry this is Natalie,” Jimmy introduced us.

“It’s nice to meet you,” I smiled.

“Likewise Ms. Natalie. Now, I won’t take up too much of your time. I just need you to sign some papers and we’ll discuss what your duties will be on this tour,” He explained getting right down to business.

“We will communicating A LOT. I will be your best friend for the next couple of months-“

“Whaaattt!” Jimmy whined.

“Oh Jimmy, you know I didn’t mean that literally,” Larry laughed, “So Natalie, you will be in charge of making sure these guys get to where they need to be every day. I have printed you out an itinerary for the first day of the tour. The rest I will email to you. See here,” He pointed at the first thing to do, “Gates has an interview at 8:00 am sharp. Then at 10:00 am they all have a photo shoot. It’s all clearly written out so you won’t get confused. Then Matt has an interview at 1:00pm and so forth. You are also in charge of making sure things run smoothly during shows. They tend to get distracted so you pretty much have to be on their asses all the time. Matt not so much, he’s the most responsible. The rest of them…yeah forget about it. You have to baby them,” He continued explaining, even went on to explain their likes and dislikes as a band. It was a lot to remember but I knew I could do it.

“So we’re all set?” Larry glanced up at me.

I nodded. “Good, now just sign these and I’ll be on my way.”

I quickly signed the papers then we stood and shook hands. He assured me we would be in touch in case I needed help with anything then took off in a hurry.

“That’s Larry, always in a hurry,” Jimmy grinned.

“Jimmy do you honestly think it’s a good idea for me to come with you guys?” I asked with a sigh.

“Of course. I think it will be great Nat! I’ve got a good feeling,” He smiled.

“But I mean, I just came here as a housekeeper. You guys barely know me yet you’re willing to do this for me?”

He nodded happily, “It doesn’t feel like I barely know you, and that’s a good thing. I know you’re a good person AND I know we’re doing the right thing. So, don’t you worry that pretty little head. Everything will be FINE!” He smile reassuringly.

“I sure hope so Jimmy.”

“Are you all packed?”

“Pretty much. You?”

“Nope.”

I laughed, “Of course not.”

“So do you like the band we’re touring with?” Jimmy asked curiously.

“Um did Larry mention that? I don’t remember him saying anything,” I asked as I flipped through the binder he had given me.

“No, he probably forgot. It’s Papa Roach,” Jimmy informed me.
I gasped, “NO WAY!!” Papa Roach had always been one of my favorite bands.

Jimmy laughed, “Yup! It’s gonna be a fun tour.”

“Wow, I’m definitely excited!”

“Don’t get too excited. Matt might get jealous,” Jimmy let out a loud laugh.

“Oh goodness, you heard all of that?” I asked shaking my head.

“Hell yeah, he was pissed. Matt’s not really one to get jealous you know?” Jimmy wiggled his eyebrows.

“Jimmmyyyyyy, this is getting more and more complicated,” I found myself whining. Something I never do.

He shot me a sympathetic look, “You stress too much. You’re supposed to take each day as it goes. Stop planning ahead or focusing too much on something that already happened. It already happened right? It’s not like you can go back and change the past. Learn to live your life and take some chances. That’s what I did and now look at me, I went from being the guy living above a laundry mat to being the drummer of a band that gets to tour the world. If you focus too much on what people think or what people around you do, you’ll forget about yourself and about what YOU want. So what is it that you want Natalie? Chances are, it’s crossing your mind right now. Whatever it is, go get it. If you mess up, guess what?! You get to wake up the next day and try again or choose something new to go after,” Jimmy’s blue eyes gazed at me warmly.

I felt my throat close up at his words. He was so right. My whole life I had worried too much about consequences and what people would think of me. “Thanks Jimmy, I needed that. You’re such an amazing person,” I sniffled.

He smiled brightly at me before engulfing me into one of his loving and comforting hugs.
♠ ♠ ♠
So something cool happened while I wrote the long Jimmy paragraph at the end. I have my TV turned to Music Choice on the rock station and So Far Away came on as I was writing it. It was perfect!! <3

Feedback please!

Special Thanks To:

acid_rain88
SHADOWS COURTESAN

*Title credit goes to So Far Away by A7X