Status: In Process

If You Tell Me to Stay, I Will Stay Right Through

Synyster What's-His-Face

I gripped the door handle to Matt’s truck as he drove us to campus. He was rambling on about how excited he was about some new album they were working on.

I wasn’t listening. I kept trying to think of how I was going to go through with this. What could I say?

“Are you okay? I know you’re quiet but you’re like a different quiet right now,” He asked glancing at me.

“I’m fine, just thinking about how I’m going to pack my things. I like to be organized,” I said avoiding his stare. “Just park right in front of that building,” I said pointing to the dorms.

He nodded and pulled his truck into the parking spot.

“College life huh? I’ll never know about it, and you know what? I don’t ever want to know,” He laughed.

I laughed with him so he wouldn’t ask any more questions about me being okay.

I led him upstairs and pushed my door open standing aside so he could go in.

“Damn, this is like a fucking closet sized room. You’ll have a room ten times this size,” He assured me as plopped down on my twin sized bed. “And um, you’ll have an actual bed, not this…uhh prison bed.”

I smiled and started throwing my clothes into my suitcases. He just laid there with his eyes closed. So much for helping me. But I guess that worked in my favor.

I quickly finished packing my clothes, “Oh sorry, I should be helping! What can I do?” he said jumping up.

“Um…I guess you can take these suitcases to the truck,” I said pointing to the suitcases. He grinned and nodded. He picked them up with ease, as if he was simply carrying pillows.

As soon as he shut the door, I stripped my bed and quickly reached my hand under my bed to pull out my gun and badge. I threw them in the sheets and rolled them up then stuffed the sheets into a large trash bag. I quickly got my picture albums and stuffed them into a backpack.

The door swung open, “I’m back, anything else?”

I shook my head, “I don’t have much stuff.”

I fit the rest of my personal belongings in a suitcase. “Sweet,” he said taking it from my hands.

I quickly grabbed the trash bag before he could, “I can carry this, it’s just my sheets and blankets.”

He nodded and we headed out. I needed to remember to contact the campus about my new living arrangements.

“So roomie, we’re roomies now ya know?” He said grinning. I rolled my eyes but couldn’t help but grin as well.

“We sure are,” I responded.

Jimmy was out front as we pulled into Matt’s driveway. He rushed over to help us with my stuff.

“Woooooo!!!!! You’re gonna be livin’ the college life in style Nat!” He exclaimed as we brought my stuff inside. I grinned, he was right about that.

Matt led us to a guest room. “This is your room Natalie, do with it was you please.”

The room was huge, the color of the walls was royal purple, which I absolutely loved.

I was interrupted from admiring the room when I heard Jimmy gasp behind me, “Woahhhhhh, ummm why do you have a gun??” I swung around to face them. Jimmy had a bewildered look as he examined my gun. Matt’s eyes were wide as he stared at me.

“Okay, I can explain,” My voice shook. I reached for my backpack. “I understand if you wanna fire me after this. My badge is also in there.” I pulled out my picture album. They both remained by the doorway eyeing my cautiously.

I handed Matt the album and he snatched it with a hint of a glare in his eyes.

He opened it while Jimmy leaned over his shoulder to look. The first picture was of me and my police dog when I had temporarily worked with the K-9 Unit. A look of realization shadowed over their faces as both of their heads snapped up to look at me.

“You’re a cop!??” Matt exclaimed. “Are you undercover or something?? We haven’t done anything illegal!”

I shook my head vigorously. “No no no! I’m not undercover. I’m an ex-cop. That was my job back in Texas.”

“And now you’re housekeeping?? Did YOU do something illegal?” Jimmy asked grinning. Wait, why was he grinning and not glaring at me like Matt was?

“No, please you have the wrong idea. Let me start from the beginning,” I held my hands up as if I was surrendering, which I kind of was.

“We’re listening,” Matt stated, crossing his muscular arms.

“Okay, so straight out of high school I joined the police academy. Not to speak highly of myself but I turned out to be one of the best cops in the city. I have a “gift” as my chief used to call it. I knew what the criminal was thinking. I could easily guess they’re next move. Soon after I started aiding detectives, my name started getting out. This put me in a dangerous position. I became a target for criminals and their friends. People developed a hate towards me for putting their friends or family away. Things started to get complicated. My home was broken into a couple of times. Luckily, I was working when it happened. After the third break in, Chief decided I need to leave. He had always said I would be an excellent profiler, that I needed to advance to the Feds. So I took my belongings and decided to come to college here in California and kind a low key job where I wouldn’t be at risk of being recognized. If my application gets accepted by the Feds then I’ll be better protected. So here I am, working for you. I’m sorry for not being up front, but you have to understand why I did it,” I sighed as I looked up at them, trying to analyze their faces.

Matt looked thoughtful, while Jimmy simply smiled.

Finally, Matt nodded his head. “I understand. You’ll be safe here. Please don’t keep anything else from me, I want to know that I can trust you.”

“Yes, from here on out, no more secrets,” I assured him.

“Dude I have a fucking cop living in my house,” he grinned at Jimmy. “Jimmy’s worst enemies back in the day. Actually, come to think of it, they still are.”

“I knew already,” Jimmy stated.

I looked at him confused, “What?”

“I knew there was more to you than meets the eye, but I trusted you from the moment I set my eyes on you,” He said smiling.

“Jimmy has this weird psychic thing where he can tell who he can trust,” Matt explained rolling his eyes.

Jimmy nodded happily. “Are we allowed to tell the guys?” Jimmy asked.

“Yes, I wouldn’t ask you to keep a secret from your friends. As long as they don’t tell anyone else then it’s fine.”

“Sweet!!” Jimmy yelled and then ran out of the room, I’m guessing to tell them the news.

I felt Matt’s eyes on me. “Are we good?” I asked him quietly.

“Yeah we are, like I said you’ll be safe here,” He said still staring at me. He suddenly smiled.

“What?” I asked. Why was he smiling?

“What?” He asked back.

“Why are you smiling?”

“I can’t smile?” He shot back.

“You can, but I believe there’s a reason why and I’d like to know,” I pressed on.

“Oh you wanna know huh?” He smirked. “Are you demanding things from your boss?”

I didn’t know what to say to that, I just stared back determined to not be the first one to look away this time.

“I’ll let you unpack, would you mind helping me with some stuff later? Nothing stalkerish Officer, just cleaning out some boxes,” he explained.

“I don’t mind.”

“Good, just come look for me when you’re done,” he said. As he turned to leave he came to a sudden halt. With his back to me he said in almost low growl, “By the way, I was smiling because you look damn sexy in that cop uniform. Please feel free to arrest me any time officer,” I could tell he was smiling. My jaw pretty much dropped to the floor and I got a familiar flutter in my stomach.

Had he really just said that?

Later on, I found myself going through boxes of old clothes Matt no longer wanted. I still had the flutter in my stomach when I remembered what he had said to me earlier.

It didn’t appear to phase him, he did smile more….as if he already didn’t do it enough. Not that I didn’t like it, just made it harder not to stare. I think he knew he flustered me easily.

“OHHHHHH, so that explains why you knew what you were doing when we went to Val’s house!” Zacky pieced together.

“Hm. Interesting,” Brian said as he circled around me, as if he was analyzing me. Or maybe that IS what he was doing.

“Guys, leave her alone,” Matt ordered as he brought in another box.

“So I have a question,” I said. They all stopped what they were doing and looked at me.

“Ask us anything Nat!” Jimmy said brightly.

I cleared my throat. “Well it’s mainly for Matt, but I guess it might involve ya’ll too.”

Matt leaned in resting his elbows on his knees. God, he made me unbelievably nervous.

“A question for me huh? Ask away!” he said grinning.

“What is Shadz? I heard Johnny call you that the other day and it’s been bugging me because I can’t piece it together. Usually a nickname is self-explanatory and yours just doesn’t make any sense,” I found myself rambling.

They all busted out laughing.

Brian sat next to me and threw his arm around me, “We have so much to learn about each other.”

Matt smiled at me softly, there was something in his eyes that I couldn’t put together. It was a delicate look mixed with care.

“Natalie, I asked you the other night what music you listen to, remember? You never answered,” Matt reminded me.

What did that have to do with anything? “No,” I said crossing my arms, “I’ve told you enough and answered questions, it’s your turn.”

“Trust me, you’ll find the answer you’re looking for once you answer this question,” He pressed.

All of the guys nodded, Brian gave my shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

“I listen to everything, country, rock-“

“What kind of rock?” Zacky cut in.

“Um…I don’t know like Deftone’s, I know you guys like them since you mentioned them the other day,” I said looking around at them.

They all snickered and gave each other knowing looks.

“Ever heard of Avenged Sevenfold?” Jimmy asked with that familiar glimmer in his eyes.

“Oh yeah,” I nodded.

“Do you like them?” Brian asked, “Cause we fucking hate them. Those guys fucking suck dude.”

Matt leaned in more, his stare was intense as if he was trying to read my mind. I had an idea of where they were going with this.

“I mean they’re alright. I’m not like a big fan or anything. They just, I don’t know, try too hard?” I answered scrunching my nose.

“They-, they what? How do they try too hard? What do they do that makes you think they try too hard?” Matt asked standing up. Brian took his arm off my shoulders.

“I’m sorry, did I say something wrong?” I asked innocently. Ha. They thought they had me fooled.

“Damn right you did,” Brian said glaring.

“Oh! Please don’t tell me you’re friends with that Synyster what’s-his-face guy! What a total loser,” I said leaning back casually.

“Excuse me?” Brian asked as he too stood up.

“Like who names their kid that?” I pressed on.

I looked at Jimmy and winked, he shot a grin in return.

“What do you think of the Rev?” Jimmy asked.

“That’s the drummer right? If so, dude….no words can explain. That guy is a fucking drum god. He’s going to be a legend!!” I exclaimed sitting up. Jimmy sat up proudly.

Matt cleared his throat, “What about the singer? What do you think of the singer?”

“Mmm…I don’t know. When he screams it’s just….girly. Ya know? And those stupid laughs he does, like PLEASE STOP!” I vented dramatically.

They all shifted uncomfortably except for Jimmy. I looked at them, displaying as little emotion as possible. Matt looked unbelievably sad, and that’s when I had to stop.

“Just kidding,” I said simply. Jimmy, Zack, and Johnny busted out laughing.

“You- what??”

“I’m kidding Matt. You guys, trying to fool me will never work. I pieced it together as soon as Brian talked shit about Avenged Sevenfold,” I said rolling my eyes.

“So you know who we are?” Matt asked.

“Now I do….to be honest I’ve only heard a couple of your songs. I like them. Matt your voice sounded familiar to me when I heard you singing with Zacky in the music room. Then Brian mentioned Avenged Sevenfold and I knew that it had to be you guys,” I explained smiling.

“Wait, so do you think I sound girly? Tell the truth,” He demanded.

I laughed lightly, “No I actually think you sound very manly, I’ve always loved your voice,” I immediately felt my face redden so I looked away but caught his smile before I did.

“Well? What about me? Since I’m Synyster what’s-his-face?” Brian glared.

“You play guitar amazingly! I mean those solos are sick!” I reassured him.

He cleared his throat as he tried to hide his smile.

“So now the nicknames make sense?” asked Zacky.

“Yes Vengeance, they do,” I grinned at him, he nodded happily. “I had heard your names before but had never seen what you actually look like.”

“You know this is the most you’ve ever spoken since we met?” Matt pointed out.

I shook my head.

“Aww dude! Why did you say that? Now she’s going to go back to nodding and shit,” Johnny complained before punching Matt’s arm.

“Shut up Short Shit,” Matt said punching him back.

“Welp, now that we’ve all told our secrets to each other we can go back to our normal day to day lives and live happily ever after,” Jimmy said jokingly.

“We still have a lot to learn about Natalie,” Matt said. “But don’t worry guys, I’ll be taking care of that.”

I blushed as he winked at me before he got into a serious conversation with the guys about the new album.

How was I supposed to live in the same house as this guy?
♠ ♠ ♠
So now everyone knows Natalie's secret. And she knows theirs. Not that they were really trying to keep it a secret. lol. I wonder if this will complicate things? Hopefully none of the guys let her secret slip right?
Okay I need some feedback. Porfavor :) do you guys like it? What should I change? etc. Pleeasseee give me your thoughts.

Thank you acid_rain88 and NathanSykes' Swag....you're both awesome!!