Don't Forget

“I’m Not Lying.”

*Summer 2003*

“Is that what you were doing in there?” He hissed the question, “Hurting yourself?”

Mia snorted, “So?”

“You can’t keep hurting yourself like this. We talked about this. I told you to talk to me.” His tone was authoritative. That was all it took.

“She just left so now you want to act like you care.” Mia felt the itching start deep down in her belly. Soon it would burn. She took Connor’s hands and put them on her hips.

“W-What are you doing?” Connor said.

“Don’t worry Connor…” Mia said lacing her fingers at the nape of Connor’s neck pressing her body into his. “You can hurt me instead…” She heard his breath catch, “I can be quiet…”Connor was tense.

He removed Mia’s hands and lead the way into her room. Finally… Mia thought. She quickly lifted her blue sundress over her head so she was only in her white cotton bra and panties. They always liked it when she wore white underwear. From Mia’s room, they could hear the water running down stairs in the kitchen. Mia's father was cleaning the dishes. When Connor turned to face Mia again he stumbled back covering his face with his hands, “Mia put your clothes back on.”

“What?” Mia’s chest clenched. He doesn’t want you he has his fair Juliet! Her mind hissed.

“Put your clothes back on.”

“Why?” Mia didn’t want to put her clothes on. She wanted Connor to touch her, show her she was worth something.

“Now Mia or I’ll leave and never come back.”

“No,” The thought of him leaving her chilled her to the bone. Mia put her dress back on, “Ok I’m dressed.”

Connor peeked through his fingers and he visibly relaxed. He slumped against the door, “Jesus Mia, are you trying to give me a heart attack.”

Mia closed her eyes hugging herself she was so cold. She wished she could just disappear she was so embarrassed. She quickly went to her bed and crawled under the quilt facing away from the rest of the room. She wanted Connor to come to her and touch her. She wanted Connor to leave her alone if he didn’t want her. She felt herself close to tears but quickly stopped herself by biting down hard on her bottom lip.

“Mia.” Mia felt the mattress sink under his weight. He was above the blanket but he still was able to cuddle close to her.

“What?” She wished her voice was more steady.

“I’m twenty years old,” Connor said, “You’re fifteen.” His words cut deep.

“Sixteen,” Mia corrected, “and a half.”

“Either way it’s inappropriate.”

Go away already then! Mia shrieked at him in her mind. She scooted away from him. He scooted closer to her still holding her over the blanket.

“Sorry I disgust you so much.” Mia said. She was happy her voice was finally steady.

“C’mon Mia,” Connor pulled her shoulder so that she rolled over to look at him, “You know that’s not true.”

“Why haven’t you left already?” Her resolve was lost in his icy blue eyes that saw everything.

“Because technically,” Connor said, “You’re all I have, my only friend.”

“You don’t have to lie to make me feel better.” Mia scoffed.

“I’m not lying.”

“What about your beautiful Juliet?”

“She doesn’t know anything about Master Swords or Spider Man.” He said. Mia couldn’t help it. She smirked, “That’s what I like to see.” Connor said. He kissed her forehead. They were back. He was still her Connor.