Dragon's Curse

Risk

I walk into the tunnels that lead to the testing room. I see a crud filled pool and ask what it is. A woman meets up at a cross section as it leaves my mouth.
"It comes from the chemicals that we use. It's toxic but we have nothing to worry about. It's not going anywhere" She says. They take me to the room where I will be changed. In the center is a large cage-like thing. It has tubes and wires connected to it that run up to another room high up that has a window facing us. The room I am in has a 50 foot high ceiling and is as spacious as an American football field. I am taken to another room to get prepared. A small lizard jumps onto my shoulder in the tunnel and I throw it off. They make my shower and do many exercises to make sure I am fit for the test. They strip me to my boxers and set me it the cage.
"Ready?" a woman asks. She gives me an injection. "A bit of pain killer"
I nod. "I am ready". I close my eyes and say a silent prayer as I hear gas escape from the tubes. I prepare for the pain ahead. It is more than I think I can bear. I feel like my head is being crushed by a vice and like I am being pulled apart. I cry out as I feel my back rip open. It feels like that pain lasts for hours. Finally it stops and I fall forward. I twist so I land on my side and stay there for a while. The floor is so soft, I never want to get up. The pain is gone but I feel like I just when through a fight and everything was sore. I take a breath and I am surprised at how easy it was. I take a few more deep breaths and smile. I can breathe normal again. It doesn't hurt anymore. I am helped up by a few of the workers and they step back as soon as I stand. They have a look of horror on their faces.
"What?" I ask. I notice that my voice has changed and reach up to grab my throat by instinct. I pull it back as I feel rough ridges where the soft skin of the throat should be. I look down at my hand and see a black talon with blue markings. I cry out and fall backwards. Looking down my body I see a scaly black form with blue markings everywhere. Something whaps me in the face and I turn around. Behind me... connected to me... was a tail and a set of wings. I shakily stand and turn around knocking over glasses with my tail. I feel a sharp pain in my shoulder and collapse.
When I wake again I am strapped to a bed. Above me stands the woman from before. "If I let you go, promise not to freak out?"
I nod. I didn't like being tied down. I look down my body again. It isn't some nightmare. I am a monster. I still don't know what my face looks like and I really don't want to.
"What did you do to me?" I ask.
"Something went wrong in the process. The chemical toxins got into the formula somehow. I'm sorry Bernard. There's nothing we can do to change you back." she says.
"So I am stuck as a monster?!" I roar.
"I'm sorry" she says and leaves the room.
Out of frustration I knock over the radio and it shatters as it hits the wall. I had the strength, but I lost my humanity. My father was right. I am a fool. I lost everything for a stupid reason.