Dragon's Curse

Regret

For the next few weeks I am kept as a captive. I am told a few details about my condition. 1 of which I was very interested in. I had to get used to the fact that a normal pair of shorts wouldn't fit me... and I didn't really need them anyway. They say that the chemical makes the victim become a mix of what they were and the last thing living they made contact with that wasn't their species. I think about the lizard that landed on my shoulder. I had thrown it off by grabbing it in my hand.
"What about these?" I ask, moving my wings. "Where do they come from?"
"We're not sure" the scientist says.
I rage for a few days and the woman from before visits me often. I think she feels sorry for me. I hate people feeling sorry for me but I welcome the company. Her name is Stephanie and she seems to be only one that is not afraid of me. She is able to persuade the leaders to let me out of the room. I am grateful for that. However they make me test my strength and skill. They test my endurance and even pain tolerance. I welcome the exercise from the 1st three test but the 4th is torture. They torture me to test how much pain I can handle and to see how thick my skin is. I am a juggernaut... to a point. I don't even become invisible from the change. I can still be hurt and beaten.
I get low during that, I think of my little sister. Ana had told me not to give up. I fight threw my thoughts with her; even though my father thinks me dead; I'm sure they all do. It's been 2 months. By now, they let me roam around the floor that my room is on. I speak with Stephanie often and she listens. We have become friends and she is the only one I trust. She warns me to not trust her but I do. In this Russian hell... I welcome her friendship.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I walk down the hall back to my room as night falls. I only know this by the clock on the wall. I haven't seen the sun, moon or stars form 3 months. I see the leader of the 3 men that made me start this mess.
"The famous Dragon finally becomes what he is called." He laughs.
I grab him by the throat. "It was you who made me make the deal in the first place!" I yell. "I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you and your slime ball Shadow men!" I stop as I realize he's not breathing anymore. I drop him and see blood on his neck. I fall to my hands and knees. I have blood on my claws; I killed him. I try to wrap my head around my act but I can't. I took a life and I stay there crying.
"I'm sorry..." I say.
He can't hear me but I speak anyway. "I didn't mean to. I'm sorry!" I never meant to kill him. Sure he deserved to have the sense knocked into him but no one deserves death. I freeze in fear as I hear an alarm. I am afraid of what will surely await me. They will kill me. Part of me feels that forever sleep will be better than being a tortured monster but I am scared so I run. I run down the hall and into the Stephanie. She asks what is wrong and what have I done.
"I'm sorry" I say. I know that a simple sorry will not atone for what I have done but that's all I can think of. "I never meant to kill him!" I shout. She backs up and pulls out a pistol. She is afraid of me now. Because of my anger I have lost the only friend I had. I am hit by her shots and fall back. I see the window leading into the testing room and leap out shattering the glass. I let instinct take over and rise into the air. I used to hate these wings but now I rely on them. I fly down to the tunnels and past the security. Some bullets ricochet; others hit their mark and slow me down, but only slightly. I see the large entrance they use and pump my large wings to rise into the air. I fly out and into the snowy land scape, basking in the fresh air. I hear yelling and shooting and I head for the forest that is a few miles away. As I fall I feel an intense pain in my left wing. I look over and see a small hole that was still hot. It looks like the hole a cigar might make in a leaf. The edges are still red and I pour snow on it to put it out. I turn around and see men running for me. Some go on their knees and fire shots. I roar and flames come out of my mouth burning the landscape in front of me. I fly off and try to hide from them. I lose them quickly and hide on the outskirts of a small village.