Status: still being badass

Apocalypse; a Sea Bound Fairytale

Chapitre III

A deep sigh left my lips as I stretched my arms above my head. The only sound I can hear is the pitter patter of the rain and my own heartbeat. My dress feels heavy against my chest since all the fabric is soaked and sticking to me like a second skin. Thunder rumbles and I give a small smile, I feel rather peaceful for once.

“Ivory.” said a deep voice above me. I groaned slightly as I reluctantly opened my eyes to see Sam standing above me with a disapproving look. Granted he almost always looks at me like that.

“Yes Sammy?” I ask with a grin. He rolls his eyes at me, knowing I only used the nickname because it irritates him.

“What are you doing just lying on the ground, and in the rain too? You’re going to catch a cold. Get up, we’re going home.” He ordered. I sighed and tried ignoring him in hopes he would leave me alone.

“Ivory!” he hissed at me.

If we’d been at home or in a more private place he would’ve simply grabbed my arm and yanked me up by now.

But we were in the middle of town and although there are not a lot of people out in this rain someone could still see. And there are very harsh punishments for slaves who touch people of high status.

I gave another overdramatic sigh for good measure and started to stand up.

My dress feels like it weighs 20 pounds and my long hair is tangled and sticking to my face so I am not looking forward to the walk home.

Finally on my feet I give Sammy a playful glare at making me get up and start walking toward the house.

It was a comfortable silence on the way home, with the rain drizzling down and with me making sure to jump in every puddle we came across. Sammy was doing a pretty good job at ignoring the splashing, even when I managed to hit him.

He’s probably pretty use to me doing stuff like this now.

We’ve been friends for almost four years now, ever since I had to move in with my uncle who owned him.

I scowled a little at that thought. I hate the idea of slaves, treating people like property. It’s horrible and I just can’t understand how everyone seems to have no problem with it.

Sam opened the gate for us and we started making our way to the servant’s entrance at the back.

The last thing I need is my uncle or aunt catching me looking like this. All that would lead to is a lecture about how I’m irresponsible and I need to act more like a lady so I can get a good husband and blah blah blah.

“Oh dear,” a feminine voice exclaimed, “you two are soaked! What on earth were you doing out in the rain?”

I gave the cook Maria a grin as I strode into the kitchen my shoes making sloshing noises with every step.

“We were just out watching the storm; I think lightning is so fascinating.” I stated as she pulled some towels out of a cupboard.

She shook her head a little as she walked over and pulled the towel around my shoulder. “Such an odd little girl you are Miss. I happen to find lightning storms frightening.” She replied while handing Sam a towel. “Now you’d best get upstairs and clean up, your aunt and uncle were rather adamant about having dinner with you. Something about an announcement they have to make.”

“An announcement.” murmured Sam. I scowled. Great, I’m probably going to get another lecture and have to take more finishing lessons. Lovely.

“Alright, I will see you in a bit Sammy.” I sighed while trudging my way toward the stairs.

~Later that Evening~

I scowled at my food while pushing the chunks of beef around my plate. “Don’t play with your food and sit up straight.” snapped my aunt.

Resisting the urge to roll my eyes I scooped a piece of meat into my mouth and chewed softly.

Glancing up to see my aunt and uncle elegantly eating their dinners I began to impatiently tap my fingers along the table. Uncle Henry looked up at the sound and quickly averted his eyes when I tried to make eye contact. I narrowed my eyes at that, very suspicious. If they just wanted o give me a lecture they would have done it by now.

He cleared his throat and Aunt Victoria looked up at him only to frown as he gestured to me. She gave a sigh of defeat and set down her fork.

“Ivory dear we have something we would like to tell you.” she started.

“Is this about that dinner party last week? Because I already told you that I did not start that fire that little boy did.” I defended quickly.

“No honey, that’s not it. We wanted to inform you that we will be hosting a ball at the end of this week. Well three balls to be exact. It will be a grand event, with large banquets and wonderful music. It will also be a masquerade. The preparations are being finished as we speak and the guests will be arriving in the next few days. You are also expected to attend.” She stated.

“Oh, well that’s nice.” I said sincerely. While I don’t particularly like the endless gossiping that comes with high society and the uncomfortable outfits, I do enjoy the good food and the music. I especially like all the interesting masks that people wear. “May I ask the occasion for such a large event?”

Uncle Henry set down his utensils and turned to look at me. “We will be announcing your engagement at the end of the third ball.”

I froze as my heart seemed to drop into my stomach. Oh no.

“Suitors from all over will be in attendance, you will dance with them and be polite. Together we shall decide who will be best suited as your husband. Although you can share your input as to who you wish to wed, the ultimate decision will be mine.” He finished.

A moment passed is silence.

“Oh.” I croaked out.

This is it. I knew it was coming, it had to happen eventually. There was no getting out of it this time. Not when they’d already sent out the invitations.

”you knew this was coming dear. You’re almost 18 years old. Most of the women your age are married with a child by now. We tried giving you time, but you couldn't put this off forever.” My aunt tried to reason.

She’s right. I know she is. And as I look up at them I can’t even bring myself to be angry, not at them.

It’s not their fault; they’re just byproducts of a society that I can’t bring myself to agree with.

They’re not bad people.

They tried to be lenient with me. They let me read a lot more than most girls would be allowed. They let me stay single for this long. They even let me spend most my time with a slave.

No I don’t blame them. I understand why they’re doing this.

And I understand that I’m not going to be able to get out of this one. The fact is that even though I’m not ready at all, I will have a fiance before the end of next week.

I’ll be married soon whether I want to or not. That is a fact.

But that doesn't mean I’m going to let it happen without a fight.
♠ ♠ ♠
yayyy, third chapter. and you finally got to meet the main character. in the next chapter the pirates dock at port Rioga and both Ivory and Atrous start plotting. let me know what you think! comments are awesome and help me write!