Status: Active

19 You and Me

You break my heart in the blink of an eye, eye, eye.

“Thank you, and good night!” John yelled into the microphone as the crowd screamed below.

He grabbed a towel to wipe his face as he headed toward Lacy. She slightly smiled and wrapped her leather jacket clad arms around herself.

“Hey,” He said kissing her forehead. “Want to come to back with me?” Lacy nodded and followed him as he high-fived a bunch of the tech guys down a dark hallway. He opened a door in the back of the venue and allowed Lacy to walk in first.

“You sounded great out there,” She said sitting on a red leather couch.

“Thanks Lace,” He said smiling at the blonde. He grabbed a water bottle and took a long drink. “And thanks for coming out, I know your finals are this week.”

“Well, I haven’t seen you in weeks, so why would I miss a chance to see you?” He smiled wider and sat down next to her, throwing an arm around the back of the couch.

“I appreciate it,” he said. She smiled and nodded, before wringing her hands together.

He grabbed her right hand and interlaced their fingers. “So,” He said.

She gulped and nodded.

“I know this relationship has been rough lately,” John said. “You know how much I love you.”

“But?” Lacy asked. She could feel moisture building in her eyes. She didn’t want to hear the words, but for the past week she was building herself up to it.

John frowned and ran a hand through his soaking hair. “I just think we need to take a step back from it.”

“What do you mean take a step back John? We’ve been together for two years, how do you take a step back?”

John sighed and shook his head. “I just don’t want to be a shitty boyfriend to you anymore, but I can’t change my career, nor do I want to.”

“So you’re breaking up with me?”

“No,” John shook his head. “I don’t want to.”

“But you are,” Lacy said pulling her hand out of his. She stood and walked to the other side of the room, leaning against a table. “I’ve been here supporting you from the beginning, and this is how you thank me?”

“I know and you don’t deserve this. You really don’t Lace.”

“Oh cut the crap John,” Lacy said full out crying. “Are we done, or what?”

John didn’t say anything and Lacy nodded. “Your silence says it all John.” He opened his mouth and she shook her head. Grabbing her bag off the table behind her she headed toward the door.

“Lacy,” John called.

“You not saying anything just says you are breaking up with me,” Lacy said stopping before she reached the door. “I never asked you to quit your band, or stop making music. I was just asking you to remember me every once in awhile.”

He looked at the blonde walk to the door, his mouth opened and closed but no words left his lips.

“Bye John.” She said as tears flowed down her rosy cheeks. She looked at him before she opened the door and left the room.

The second she got into her car in the lot, she locked the doors and leaned her head against the steering wheel and cried.

“Lacy, I know you don’t want to talk to me, but I had to call you and make sure you made it home okay.” He sighed and felt his own eyes water up. “I love you, I hope you know that. I know you probably hate me, and I understand that.”

John took a deep breath and ran a hand through his hair. “I hope you can talk to me soon because you’re my best friend at the end of the day. I know you never asked me to stop making music, but the band is blowing up and I’m going to be gone a lot more, and I feel like it hurts you.”

He felt a pain in his chest and he grabbed a fistful of hair. “I wish things ended differently tonight, but know this, I love you Lacy.”

He hit END and felt his own tears running down his cheeks.
♠ ♠ ♠
So...yeah that was sad to write. But, it had to be done.

Thank you to Everdeen for the comment!
And thanks again to my lovely silent readers out there.

Let me know what you thought about this!
Next chapter is going forward to present day.